Users who are viewing this thread

IMO, no AI faction should be able to completely destroy any other AI faction w/o the player helping.
I believe they should, but it should take a very long time. If empires dont grow at all, you as the player will eventually conquer them much easier.

I've seen a good number of tests with swords used against mail and in not a single test was a sword ever able to cut through it.
Swords don’t cut through mail, but they do cause blunt force trauma in a small surface area across it. Most times, it’s usually a glancing blow, but it can cause deep lacerations all the same with a proper hit. Sources: I am in the SCA and ACL, and have personally seen lacerations caused by chainmail being hit by swords, axes, and even blunt objects such as maces. Historically, soldiers would wear a gambeson underneath to protect the skin, but in a Calradian timeline, it seems that amongst the majority of fighter classes there’s a sort of lack of gambesons worm underneath mail except for knight-equivalent or higher tier troops. So, theoretically, most lower tier fighters wearing mail in-game should be getting injured faster.

It should be a possibility, not a fatality. I wouldn't be bothered to witness a steamroll every now and then, but i don't want to expect it as a sure thing.

Right now we have a 3 way massive power struggle tbh. Battanians, Sturgions and Valandians have gained/lost little but the empire is unified under Lucon of the north and the Aserai and Khuzaits have taken a tonne of land too. So it's empire vs Khuzait vs Aserai. I am currently pledging my allegiance to the Khuzaits.

Sure, but that was through conquest. And not by "switching sides". You understand what I mean, right? A lord doesn't just randomly get up and say: "I'm abandoning all I have in this kingdom and joining this other kingdom", it just doesn't happen.

Just wanted to be a smartass. Though in case of Normandy it was switching sides aka the French king gave a Northman leader the Seine estuary as fief to fortify it against more Northman attacks up that river and against Paris, voila Normen in Normandy.

The new patch supposedly did stuff to discourage some of it. I think via relationship hits so someone losing his land would not switch side to the faction he lost his land to.

My main point is more that currently the incentive to stay at home is not really there so attacking armies have little reason to return home unless defeated. If there were stuff lords had to do to get the resources to continue their war by returning to their fiefs it would maybe make them slower to stay in an army long.

Swords don’t cut through mail, but they do cause blunt force trauma in a small surface area across it. Most times, it’s usually a glancing blow, but it can cause deep lacerations all the same with a proper hit. Sources: I am in the SCA and ACL, and have personally seen lacerations caused by chainmail being hit by swords, axes, and even blunt objects such as maces. Historically, soldiers would wear a gambeson underneath to protect the skin, but in a Calradian timeline, it seems that amongst the majority of fighter classes there’s a sort of lack of gambesons worm underneath mail except for knight-equivalent or higher tier troops. So, theoretically, most lower tier fighters wearing mail in-game should be getting injured faster.
I can't say I agree with that. It only takes 3-4 hits to down most heavy armored units with a sword in the current system. Sure you can cause bruises, relatively minor laceration or occasionally break a bone but there just isn't enough kinetic force generated by something the size of an arming sword to incapacitate something as quickly as currently happens.

I was refereeing more to actually cutting through the mail though, but I now see that we actually agree there. I think I misread that a bit.

At least it's not as bad as Mordhau and it's paper armor. :razz:

Last two games I've basically gotten to this point...
e3J9ISI.png

...and as I'm only interested an playing empire.... I've given up. First campaign ended up with empire nearly wiped out at day 300, second campaign looked like a worse version of the above around the 220 mark... 190 into this one I don't even want to bother. They've lost 4 cites in the last 30-40 days. Hell the western empire was gone before day 50. :mad:

But hey at least I got to look cool for about 30 minutes before it went down the ****ter this time.
2qq869Y.png
Nice clad dude, the thing that I was hoping with all this fighting and unnecessary wars is that they should be happening like they were foretold. Maybe three empires start early fighting against each other or later in the game, Khuzaits and Aserais or even some empires joining against a powerful invader such as Sturgia. I am hoping there's going to be a kind of the "Arts of War and Diplomacy" patch in which enables like deep in relations with empires and how to command the armies a better way, something I'll post in suggestion along the day. hehe

I can't say I agree with that. It only takes 3-4 hits to down most heavy armored units with a sword in the current system. Sure you can cause bruises, relatively minor laceration or occasionally break a bone but there just isn't enough kinetic force generated by something the size of an arming sword to incapacitate something as quickly as currently happens.

I was refereeing more to actually cutting through the mail though, but I now see that we actually agree there. I think I misread that a bit.

At least it's not as bad as Mordhau and it's paper armor. :razz:
Dude you’re telling me. Mordhau might as well have just sent people out naked with sticks.

The thing is, it's not a bug. It's a consequence resulting from a variety of factors, that they are trying to tackle down individually to solve it without applying a quick solution like "lords don't make armies anymore".

For now they fixed the "lords spawning with no cash, no army, get caught by bandits". They still have to :
- Fix army cohesion and neverending armies
- Fix lords desertion
- Fix garrisons
- make diplomacy a thing

But everyone of those steps will contribute towards making snowball less obnoxious

The real issue isn't any of those things (except maybe Diplomacy as I don't know how they are implementing it).

The issue is that there does't appear to be any drawback to getting bigger. You can fix lords having no armies, army cohesion and neverending armies.

But at the moment everything stacks towards a bigger empire's favour. They have more fiefs, more lords, more troops and a greater ability to replenish their armies.

All of the above are going to be peacemeal until there is actually some counterbalancing mechanic to rapid expansion in this game.

It also means people are getting less and less likely to play through campaigns and discover bugs, because the game is over by the time they get on their feet.

I personally don't want to keep having to 'roll the dice' to see if they AI empires will maintain some semblance of relative power until I'm actually powerful enough to make a difference.

To be clear though, I don't want them to be less aggressive, I would just like for there to be counterbalancing mechanics (alliances against dominant powers / factions more likely to make peace with other factions when faced with a dominant threat / civil war mechanics on super large empires).

IMO, no AI faction should be able to completely destroy any other AI faction w/o the player helping.

STRONGLY disagree on this. There is nothing more lame than realising that the whole game is in a glorified holding pattern until players make their choice.

It really breaks the immersion when it seems like every single lord /faction in a game is completely incompetent until a player comes and tips the scales. It also makes it ridiculously easy for the player. No faction can ever get powerful enough to challenge the player, when the player inevitably starts crushing factions.

All the best games at the moment allow for the AI to crush other AIs (I'm thinking of Total War in particular). But what prevents an early landslide are diplomacy responses and the difficulties of maintaining an ever larger empire.

Honestly though, nothing would be worse for this game to stagnate the dynamic nature of AI wars - would be a huge step backwards.

Last edited:
Topic creater made an excellent analysis.
Its also so great to see the developers are looking into this, even spending their weekend evenings reading these posts!

I have done a single simulaton on patch 1.05 so far.

The simulation was done at 50x speed (like the topic creater) enabled through the dev console mod from Bannerlord Nexus.
It was done by camping character outside Poros and with no interaction with the world - expect 8 times total getting robbed by looters, to which i used to money cheat from the console to avoid getting captured. Not that either should make any difference on the simulation.

The simulation ran for 10 ingame years, which should equal 840 ingame days.
Every year i took a screenshot of the map to see the development. Also took 2 screenshots on dates where 2 factions were wiped out.

Those dates are:
Winter 2, 1085 - Western Empire wiped
Winter 6 - 1090 - Southern Empire wiped

The result of the simulation:
The Northern Empire was by far the largest power at the end of this simulation, but if this simulation is what to expect from the game in patch 1.05, then the patch has definitely made improvements to the balance compared to patch 1.04 and below.

The entire screenshot album is available from imgur here:
Screenshot Album

I hope to see a new analysis from topic creator on patch 1.05 if he finds the time for it.

Thats 10 years so its better than most gameplays we have seen

then suspend your ignorance until the game is released in full. the game literally has less than half of all the information and code stabilized and implemented. How do you expect limiting actors to exist that arent even there yet. people need to read the threads and see how much is being rehashed. SNOWBALLING WONT BE FIXED OVERNIGHT. IT IS LITERALLY THE MOST INTER DEPENDANT THING IN THE ENTIRE GAME. and for gods sake stop comparing a barely there product with a completely finished and released decade older title. stop throwing backward subjective bias that helps no one but flood threads with useless redundant statements. add value to the thread, not water it down.

I have seen a lot of times lords with 0 troops taking a walk and some few seconds later being capture by looters.

They need to return feast, that lords is at forts, city some time. City and forts allways empty to find someone is fck epic task. This is ridiculus that they are active 24 hour...

I continue to investigate the catastrophic situation on the global map.
In patch 1.04, assessing the scale of the disaster due to the devastation and uncontrolled seizure of land by other factions in my save, due to the incapable system of hiring soldiers with lords from states of lost or devastated villages, I decided to go to Strugia to try to delay the time of the Snowball disaster.
He entered the service of them, accepted the honor and returned one castle to Strugia, then finished off the corroded army, waiting for the next attack of Batannia in the lands of Strugia.
Then already in patch 1.05, after 5-7 days, the army of Batania came again, but their goal was the city.
Here is the screenshot:
Strugia.jpg

For a player who enlisted in the state of Strugia, Influence points are needed to assemble an army at a critical moment. Somehow, this feels wild, the state itself, governed by AI, cannot form detachments to repulse the invasion of enemies into their lands, military generals are like ragged men because they have burned their villages and they have nowhere to take soldiers. We can assume that the entire population and the militia did not run into the mountains, so that later they would join the units of their managing generals.
Military generals of warriors will no longer be able to hire anywhere until the end of the life of the Strugia faction. A chain reaction has begun on the global map, it can no longer be stopped. The generals are waiting for something, because they are not allowed to defend their city, and they do not have secret underground passages.

The player, too, to break into the city, to help the besieged, is offered a text game, on the screen saver that having only 58 people in the squad, according to the AI calculations, the player will have to lose 36 people. It also doesn’t work out naturally, then create a location with chases so that the player is offered to really break through his barriers with his squad through the barriers to the city gates. hail of arrows to support the breakthrough. But to lose 36 warriors that the player fed dressed for a long time, he just takes them from the AI. Not well, very respected developers.

I perfectly understand that many years have been spent on development, a lot of coding has been done, but now this issue needs to be resolved as quickly as possible, because it is very important - HR. To find and make a decision you need some optimal one for all of you to stop the spread of the Snowball on the global map ... We'll have to rethink the logic programmed.

For my own reasons, I propose:
1. During military operations on the defense of personal possessions of those states to which the Players enter the service, cancel the effect of influence points. It is for the defense of those cities and castles that from the start of the game belong to these factions, for military campaigns, where the goal will be another city, etc. these influence points must be left.
2. If you have already encoded so that the troops are recruited through the villages, then you need to program the AI in such a way that when attacking and trying to plunder the village, all the soldiers recruitment will be moved to the secured castles / cities, as if all the militias could escape to full scraping. So that military generals can freely replenish their troops through the garrisons of castles and cities, and at least somehow resist the advancing enemy forces.
3. Remove for the player completely, or reduce the number of losses of soldiers when breaking into the garrison.
4. Set up AI on the global map so that during sieges, all the lords who are not in captivity immediately run to the aid of the besiegers, when collecting in the army, time is written how much each commander needs to spend to collect at a certain point, in the same way let them escape on the defensive as reinforcements.
And it is imperative to give the player the opportunity to personally raise an army without using Influence points if the player suddenly wants to personally participate in the defense.

then suspend your ignorance until the game is released in full. the game literally has less than half of all the information and code stabilized and implemented. How do you expect limiting actors to exist that arent even there yet. people need to read the threads and see how much is being rehashed. SNOWBALLING WONT BE FIXED OVERNIGHT. IT IS LITERALLY THE MOST INTER DEPENDANT THING IN THE ENTIRE GAME. and for gods sake stop comparing a barely there product with a completely finished and released decade older title. stop throwing backward subjective bias that helps no one but flood threads with useless redundant statements. add value to the thread, not water it down.

If you're really trying to tell people to 'sit down and shutup', then you sir - don't belong on an EA forum giving feedback or ideas.

People talking about how other games are implemented - discussing solutions, discussing ideas. Even just flatout criticising current ones are all contributing. There have been some good ideas that I ultimately disagree with, like making Lords who own fiefs less likely to go on offensive wars.

But they are all ideas. If someone has another game that has implemented certain mechanics which might bear out some success in this game (either now or down the track) that's good as well.

But essentially telling people to stfu because it's EA and whatever people are griping about is 'hard' doesn't help anyone or anything.

I think this contributes a lot. Not only are their settlements tightly clustered, there isn't a lot of geographical boundaries between them. On the other hand, there *are* a lot of geographical boundaries getting in and out. I haven't seen them steamroll in a couple games, but they do tend to hold out for a very long time despite being at war with multiple factions.

I feel like Aserai has the opposite problem. They're very spread out along a narrow path with lots of boundaries in between, so it can take them literally weeks to move armies from one side of their territory to the other. Say half their troops are in Quyaz and they get into a war with Southern Empire. Their troops won't make it to Husn Fulq until the war's over. Reverse is true if Western attacks them at Quyaz.

Yah, Battania has a massive advantage in sheer geography. Not only is it very defensible due to having multiple choke points they can defend but all their cities are a day's travel from the next with clusters of villages in between. It is incredibly easy for the Battanian lords to run around from city to city to build up their armies after a defeat.

I actually like it though. Battania survived to now largely thanks to their knowledge of ambush warfare and using their native land as an advantage. They fell back to the most defensible region of Caldradia and are so deeply entrenched that they are near impossible to remove.

They just need to be made less aggressive, I think. Battania should be less likely to declare wars of aggression and more likely to play defensively during wars than other factions as their main concern in protecting the lands they still own. Their aspirations of taking Calradia back should be something achievable with the aid of the player, not something they just do on their own.

If you're really trying to tell people to 'sit down and shutup', then you sir - don't belong on an EA forum giving feedback or ideas.

People talking about how other games are implemented - discussing solutions, discussing ideas. Even just flatout criticising current ones are all contributing. There have been some good ideas that I ultimately disagree with, like making Lords who own fiefs less likely to go on offensive wars.

But they are all ideas. If someone has another game that has implemented certain mechanics which might bear out some success in this game (either now or down the track) that's good as well.

But essentially telling people to stfu because it's EA and whatever people are griping about is 'hard' doesn't help anyone or anything.
If you read the thread you would see I am one of the earlier participants on one of these threads. No I didn't tell everyone to just 'sit down and shutup', I said for people like you saying dumb off the point wasted comments that contribute nothing and show with self evidence the clear lack of reading the threads history, merely water down the content by just throwing shade. That means having nothing but subjective bias that does nothing but invalidate others. More to the point repeating things that have already been said shows furthermore the ignorance and lack of reading people are doing on this forum. This snowballing issue has been thoroughly covered and doesn't need to be repeated every second comment. Yes producing ideas TO SOLVE the problem are welcome, stating obvious **** on the forum of the same developer of the same older title is counter productive as well, you think the developers of bannerlord dont understand the war band title better than anyone else? TW is going to do what they think is best when it is best in their own context. FOCUS on the solutions and not the repeated problem. ITS LITERALLY IN THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. 'how other games are implemented' is the most out of touch statement of all, concepts are implemented, patches are delivered and games are marketed or developed. blatant invalidations, meaning purely subjective ones and repeated statements of the obvious are not discussions, at the very least they are arguments which the context of that delivery should be self explanatory. Keep it simple stupid, keep it to the point, the devs are doing a very effective silent reading strategy on the forums. dont expect the most complex system in the game to be fixed overnight, forcing them to focus on something that isnt fully implemented yet is going to take their focus away from more important more impactful content delivery. 5 patches in and one had content addition. I highly disagree with " just flatout criticising current ones are all contributing". criticism implies a subjective wright or wrong, its purely opinion, idc about your opinion, use objective content to support your ideas and help feed the devs possible alternatives or solutions, just the same help possible future modders consider different approaches to different problems. I have only been telling people to stop being ignorant assholes providing nothing healthy or a true 'contribution' to the community to encourage participation. Instead many like myself have been met by instant subjective criticism and invalidation because people cant read threads properly, i already have multiple examples of people admitting this. stop getting triggered and spamming responses that do nothing to help anyone but show a clear lack of understanding how this forum and its sub threads and quotes work.

this is the complete epitomy showing you have not read any of my previous comments on any thread. this is exactly what ive constantly been pointing out, using EA like its not self evident on certain points is beyond 'special'. expecting snowballing to be fixed over night is ignorant in the EA stage, just the same just screeching EA is also a problem. people need to keep these things in the context THEY ARE ALREADY IN. this isnt a discussion, if it was you would already have realised how painful it is seeing people pay no attention to where a conversation is at and then further derail it with redundant statements of the obvious that have already been done a dozen times. i ahve already said in a previous bit, if you read the thread you would quote someone and say I agree, or straight up say i agree or disagree and PROVIDE WHY. throwing comments around with no objective contribution is exactly that, devoid of contribution so to call it contribution in any way is plain stupid. i am not telling people to sit down stfu, im telling them to freaking read like a normal person and participate in the existing conversation, not start a redundant new one that actually contributes nothing to the topic. If people were already doing this everyone would be quoting older comments and furthering discussion on objective points that have already been raised. Nothing that hasnt been identified as a possible issue has been brought up in like two days. No one is adding new original objective information to his thread. its just more wasted space, as i said watering down the thread, keep it to the point. stop derailing the thread into subjective useless crap.

Okay so they did improve things a bit.
500-600+ days in game
Strugia, Valandia were first to fall but they did put a good fight. It took 2-3 wars to take them down.
Northern Empire (faction that I was a merc in) took 1 city from Strugia but lost 2 to Khuzite. 2nd War with Khuzite they took 2 more. 3rd War with Khuzite and Northern Empire was no more.
I joined the Western Empire. 2-3 wars with Southern and 2-3 wars with Aseri. Factions keep fighting, taking cities/castles and re-taking them (yey! AI can re-take ****). While all those cool wars were taking place with me in the middle of this chaos, Horse-buggers took rest of Valandia (2 cities went to Celts). And then ate all Battanians. I was focused at the war in the south and got myself a nice city, a keep. A lot ot taking and losing cities and keeps here. But atm Aseri got 2 cities, Southern 4-5. Western got 8. Sadly the rest of the map belongs to the Khuzite. This is my 2nd game where those horse-buggers are steamrolling whole Calradia :/

Back
Top Bottom