SP - General Slower game progression needed

Users who are viewing this thread

One thing that drives me crazy about the game is how aggressive the AI is. Even on the easy difficulties it is super aggressive and gives you no time to do anything other thsn war. Which makes it almost impossible to develop your clan or your kingdom properly.

Im the type of player that doesn't like to betray orhers to found my own kingdom. I will spend the early stages as a mercenary to gain experience, bouncing betweemrelms to stop any of them gaining too much power. Then target the rebels once they rebel to gain a settlement for founding my kingdom. I then create the maximum amount of parties so i can create an army then i found my kingdom.Then i will declare war on whichever faction my character is (usually battania) to gain catles to promote my companions. Its hard until i gat at least 4 other clans. I usually have to sacrifice the territory i capture just to keep my troops alive until im strong enough to take on huge armies.

After doing all this though the game gos into super villain mode. Where it constantly declares war on me. No matter how many times i beat it, it refuses to let me have any peace. Theres never any time to do anything other than war.

The biggest problem with all this is that the game is often almost over by the time the kids reach the age of 18. The companions clans too, get next to no time to develop and conduct diplomacy because the AI is too aggressive.

My current game, my heir is 7, but Battania and the Western empire are almost dead both only have 1 city left. Sturgia and Vlad are crippled, almost all their cities are still in their relm, but their armies have been butcherd. Making them easy to conquer if I wanted to. The Kuzaits and Aeseri are half dead with half their cities conquered by either me or the southern empire. The Northern empire has only 2 cities left, and the southern empire is the only one that is on par with my strength. All this achieved in 7 years. 11 more years before my heir has grown up, but at this rate the game will be over before then. Out of all this, i have only declared war twice, once on Battania when i started my kingdom and once on the Aeseri to gain land for my one Aeseri companion. All the rest was because the AI is so aggressive. My companions too, only 2 out-of the 10 companions ive promoted have gotten married and one was because of me marrying him to my sister Athean. All because the AI is so aggressive theres no time for diplomacy.

Now for my suggestion

It would be nice to lower the AI's aggression to slow down game progress. Making it so peace lasts longer to give you more time to do other things like recruit more companions, conduct diplomacy (more for my companions sake than my own) join tournaments take on bandit hideouts, do quests. None of which becomes possible once you found or join a kingdom.

There are severel ways too achieve this. These suggestions I think should apply to mainly AI but some of them also for player

Military ways:
Less good troops - Increasing the cost improve troops beyond T4 would be one way make sieges less successfull. IE, less steamroll. Militia mould be more than a tiny obstacle. They could cost influence to upgrade maintain when in a kingdom!
Weaker armies - Make it harder to create 1000+ armies. Can be achieved in many ways but the easiest is probably that clan realtion greatly penalized inviting them to your army.
Smaller parties - Ofcource an option nerf the base partysize for all parties.
Cheaper/bigger garrisions and militia - More troops to kill - less steamroll

Diplomatic ways
NAPs and truces - With a basic solution for negotiated timeframed periods of peace. Even a "bad" implementation, that completly stopped you from doing hostile stuff with a NAPed or TRUCED enemy would do as a starter to expand some real diplomacy
Alliances - A delicate issue that easly could go wrong and cause exactly the opposite. But a thrilling thought!

De-escalation
Dangerous war-mongering - What if it was dangerous to trigger a vote for war? What if king vetoed the war and you had to suffer concequenses for your stupidity with bad relations to come?

Other things to spend influence on?
Anti-Bandit parties - Small parties of improved milita troops led by a Sergeant semi- charachter(T5, simelar to bandit chiefs and caravan-drivers) that protects your areas from bandits and hideouts. Could 10 influence to start and 2 influence/day to maintain. Affects the area of one single fief. You can activate it in every fief with a governor precent.
Emisaries - Improves relation with other clans. Costs 10 influence to start, 1 influence/day to maintan and has a 40% chanse to give 1 relation/day.

Relations
King - > Vassal - For each vassal, what if relations mattered Bonus for good realtions, malus for bad relations
Vassal -> King - More delicate! A good relation should be better than a neutral but I dont want to penalize rougue vassals! There should be ways to thunnel realm- influence into your pocket! leading to....

Intrigue
I´d love an expanded solution for this - but a thin one would do! Here are some
New owner of fief
- This feature is there but what if it was used and usefull? What if you make clans support usurping powerfull fiefs and trigger a vote where old owner is not qualified? Id like to see AI using this... And alot. The king could have a sheap veto but why should he allways use it?
Vote to exile clan - This feature is there but what if it was used and usefull? I´d love this, even if a ruler should very rarely accept it... Uless he is the initiater :wink:
Blackmail fellow clan - You blackmail a fellow clan in your kingdom(Where you are king/vassal or merc). They could accept and pay you X influence and lower your relation by 20. They could deny, triggering a duel(simelar to hideout boss fight) where looser pay 2x influence to winner.

Some of these would greatly improve the lenght and fun of the game! I liek the thought especially of lords have other things to spend influence on than voting for war and sniping fiefs!

Last edited:
There are severel ways too achieve this. These suggestions I think should apply to mainly AI but some of them also for player

Military ways:
Less good troops - Increasing the cost improve troops beyond T4 would be one way make sieges less successfull. IE, less steamroll. Militia mould be more than a tiny obstacle. They could cost influence to upgrade maintain when in a kingdom!
Weaker armies - Make it harder to create 1000+ armies. Can be achieved in many ways but the easiest is probably that clan realtion greatly penalized inviting them to your army.
Smaller parties - Ofcource an option nerf the base partysize for all parties.
Cheaper/bigger garrisions and militia - More troops to kill - less steamroll

Diplomatic ways
NAPs and truces - With a basic solution for negotiated timeframed periods of peace. Even a "bad" implementation, that completly stopped you from doing hostile stuff with a NAPed or TRUCED enemy would do as a starter to expand some real diplomacy
Alliances - A delicate issue that easly could go wrong and cause exactly the opposite. But a thrilling thought!

De-escalation
Dangerous war-mongering - What if it was dangerous to trigger a vote for war? What if king vetoed the war and you had to suffer concequenses for your stupidity with bad relations to come?

Other things to spend influence on?
Anti-Bandit parties - Small parties of improved milita troops led by a Sergeant semi- charachter(T5, simelar to bandit chiefs and caravan-drivers) that protects your areas from bandits and hideouts. Could 10 influence to start and 2 influence/day to maintain. Affects the area of one single fief. You can activate it in every fief with a governor precent.
Emisaries - Improves relation with other clans. Costs 10 influence to start, 1 influence/day to maintan and has a 40% chanse to give 1 relation/day.

Relations
King - > Vassal - For each vassal, what if relations mattered Bonus for good realtions, malus for bad relations
Vassal -> King - More delicate! A good relation should be better than a neutral but I dont want to penalize rougue vassals! There should be ways to thunnel realm- influence into your pocket! leading to....

Intrigue
I´d love an expanded solution for this - but a thin one would do! Here are some
New owner of fief
- This feature is there but what if it was used and usefull? What if you make clans support usurping powerfull fiefs and trigger a vote where old owner is not qualified? Id like to see AI using this... And alot. The king could have a sheap veto but why should he allways use it?
Vote to exile clan - This feature is there but what if it was used and usefull? I´d love this, even if a ruler should very rarely accept it... Uless he is the initiater :wink:
Blackmail fellow clan - You blackmail a fellow clan in your kingdom(Where you are king/vassal or merc). They could accept and pay you X influence and lower your relation by 20. They could deny, triggering a duel(simelar to hideout boss fight) where looser pay 2x influence to winner.

Some of these would greatly improve the lenght and fun of the game! I liek the thought especially of lords have other things to spend influence on than voting for war and sniping fiefs!

I agree for those of the players who cant play with mods(console) alot of the suggested changes would help.
For those on pc you can tweak alot of settings that you more or less suggest by useing the Diplomacy mod.

Overall the ai's tendency for war is way over the top for my taste, you just know that once the 30 day peace-treaty is up you'll be up against 2-3 kingdomes again(This when being a vassal of a kingdome aswell).

The biggest flaw they did when they designed the game imo was to move away from the rng-method that Warband use with a Just cause for war.
Then you wouldnt have this horrible ganking system that is going on.

The other issue that "force war" is also the equally poor designed tribute system, it should be a tribute for the 30 days that the deal is for, and after it should be gone.
Now they will be "forced" to go to war to get a better deal, but boom soon as they declare war on that faction, 2-3 attack them and they end up even worse than before(Battania without player agency specially since they are too poor cause of that horrible policy they have).

In Diplomacy mod you can set it up so that you can have non-agression pacts and even alliances, and yes your allies will help.

A way they could also slow down things is to limit the amount of ongoing wars that a kingdome is comfortable being in at once.
Like if you are at war with 2, then the 3rd shouldnt declare or you would go for peace with one of them.

Too hard to get peace and or war, it almost always 0% support or 100%, ideally it should be more even so that the player had more agency over the decisions, like as when you toss that max vote to either get the war or peace you desire.

Now the only way to do it, is to spend influence on wasteing proposals, so that the other clans are not able to vote, since typically the player will have more influence than the rest.

As for playing your own kingdome, thats just how the game is designed the predatory nature of the kingdomes means they will gank you as much as possible.

There is a cheesy way though, just capture the town from a rebel, but never declare kingdome, and see all the other factions duke it out.
Improve your trade while your town flourish, and get the 300 rank, and then just start on buying up the land, and win by non-war :razz: (ok ok that will require alot of denars as even castles go for quite the amount of denars, but hey its possible).

Back
Top Bottom