Users who are viewing this thread

As a empire loses more and more territory they should be given more cohesion and an urge to reclaim what is theirs. As an empire expands it should lose cohesion and suffer from rebellions and guerilla action and probing raids driving their attention back to their home provinces, so their steamroll is gradually halted. then things would ebb and flow a bit easier and you can look away for a moment without a faction going extinct. It would be better and more organic than 'lets have a feast boyos'

I examined situation. There are several reasons for this :

1-There were so many defections. Today with new patch defection probability is decreased and defections are rare now. Do not forget during defection lords also take their settlements with them to new faction. Weak factions were losing their lords and settlements to strong ones this was not so frequent but even 1-2 in a year this was effecting huge.
2-There are lords going in financial crisis stay with no money and they cannot recruit men. (will be examined tomorrow)
3-There were big starving penalty for starving castles and towns. For each 4 missing food 1 garrison were dying. This effect is now for 8 missing food with today's patch. Because they were dying they were making sally out and losing their defensive bonus.
4-There were so many sally outs and during sally out garrisons were losing their defensive bonus. This probability is decreased with today's patch now sally outs are rare compared to previous versions.
5-Currently there is no war decleration mechanic to a very powerfull kingdom or making peace mechanic to get unite aganist most powerfull kingdom. (will be added in next months, not quick one)

I continue searching for other reasons. However do not forget in Bannerlord there is no stable world even we fix these problems one faction can rule all the world without player interaction but this should take more time like 20 years maybe. We are working on that. If you want to show you effect on world is much conquer all world earlier than 1090.
one issue is definitely the spamming of armies as well, in warband armies could only be called so often by the AI and by one person. A good way to balance this would be a cool down on army calling nation wide and making it so only the leaders of more prestigious clans can call them. I also wouldn't be against a system like warband where the army disbands after taking a major fief.

Intrigue and letting lords just leave their armies would be nice the AI recruits really fast if they aren't in an army they'll show up with a solid 50 to 60 troops in a few days if your against them by yourself it feels like.

The most important thing is that gaining land must be actually painful. Rarely was conquering new territory profitable even in mid-term. Maintaining an army should be very expensive and draining, and peace ought to be a neccesity as to be able to recover as a nation from the expenses of war. Debt ought to be a reality for lords who maintain a war army. Conquered cities should be devastated and bleed money for their owners, not taking care of your homelands also ought to lead to economic ruin and lawlessness, plus campaigns ought to be painful in terms of manpower for the attacker, to simulate the difficulties of moving through unknown terrain and having difficulty with supplies.

Please no feasts. Also forming an army should be hyper-expensive, a very rare occurence. If peace was more prevalent there could be more possibilities of opportunistic exploitation. Make others intervene in wars to attack the weakened factions, be it victor or loser. Then make AI more hesitant to use its full force, and keep a lot of it at skirmish and raiding level. A fortress siege ought to be meaningful, placing a big bet, with city assaults being like going all in (requiring an army, and provoking an army from the defender, something which then, due to the expected losses may make you vulnerable to other nations intervening, catching you in debt and with less man power)

A conquered city should feel like a real big event in my save, this game is set up for playing through several generations, so the wars ought to mirror that. A state of perpetual warfare, of back and forth, is what would keep this game alive. Economic ruin must be an easy possibility, and prosperity a great achievement. IF a faction is defeated, extensive unrest mechanics ought to facilitate rebellions and revivals over time. It also shouldnt degrade quickly, as history has shown, nations can resurface many centuries after their initial disappearance, grudges persist over a long time, and foreign overlords become rarely accepted.

I imagine that this could be too slow for many, but it would make for very exciting long term saves.

Good points. While I can forgive many of the other early access'y things, this feels like something that should have been obvious even in internal testing

I barely got my first castle and the game is already technically over, with the southern empire just pummelling everyone else into submission with as many as 3(!) 1k armies at once. There just seems to be too little else (feasts, intrigues, backstabbing by other factions) to balance out the conquering sprees.

Also the handing out of fiefs seems to be unbalanced. So far Rhagaea has taken pretty much every town for herself with no discernable repercussions

Why?

I believe feasts and much more should be re-added. Obviously not in the same way since they happened far too frequently and were basically a morale cheat for a kingdom but their underlying purpose should be brought back.

Kingdoms should have events and celebrations.
I agree. I was also pretty disappointed to marry Ira and get nothing except a dialogue box to show for it. Social events were a major source of realm politics.

Right now theres nothing except helping people in battle or voting for/against them in decisions. The latter of which doesnt really work because in wartime there are so many settlements being handed out that you lack the influence to really pick a party most of the time and in peacetime, law decisions are much too rare to actually make friends/enemies this way

agree with all of this, excellent post. so much of the game is set up for the long haul, particularly skills, yet everything is over in a couple of years. i think small faction patrols would help immensely, especially around towns, as it would hopefully prevent returning Lords or Lords with small armies trying to gather forces from being captured by bandits and looters. that, or having Lords respawn with a small retinue of elite troops (5-10) to help them ward off bandits. both of these changes would go a long way to solving the issue, as it would give factions some capacity to bounce back once they lose massive battles.

Why?

I believe feasts and much more should be re-added. Obviously not in the same way since they happened far too frequently and were basically a morale cheat for a kingdom but their underlying purpose should be brought back.

Kingdoms should have events and celebrations.
oh well, i should have pointed out that i was referring to OPs proposal to solve the issue by making lords go to feasts as they did in warband. Generally feasts were very cool, i just dont think its a fitting solution to this problem

Anyone notice any improvements today? It seemed like my faction was making peace more than it had been previously. Also, thanks for adding your thoughts, there are some other great points being made.

I think feasts should make a comeback like I said originally. Not only do they encourage grace periods during wars but they also serve as a venue to speak to other lords and get some intrigue going, something which I sorely miss. It feels like my relation with other lords is mostly meaningless right now. If it isn't? Everything is just happening 'behind the scenes' and it's hard to really get a feel for what I need to do, who I need to speak to, or what I can do to improve those relations.

Anyone notice any improvements today? It seemed like my faction was making peace more than it had been previously. Also, thanks for adding your thoughts, there are some other great points being made.

I think feasts should make a comeback like I said originally. Not only do they encourage grace periods during wars but they also serve as a venue to speak to other lords and get some intrigue going, something which I sorely miss. It feels like my relation with other lords is mostly meaningless right now. If it isn't? Everything is just happening 'behind the scenes' and it's hard to really get a feel for what I need to do, who I need to speak to, or what I can do to improve those relations.

I think I have. I'm about a year in in my new game and so far the factions have remained more or less static. No major gains anywhere. The game before that seemed to go fine for about three years before I quit because messing with having my own caravan ruined me financially, with only a slight difference to faction borders.

Best feedback/criticism thread in the whole forum right now. +1

Also, big armies should move way slower than they do right now, morale should literally keep the army on it's feet so the lords don't drag it out too much, you either use the army to siege something and lose money to feed the large amount of men you're draggin with you, or don't even raise one in the first place.

Something that I didn't quite understand the reason why it got removed was; Camps. I think the camp should be brought back into the series and added a **** ton of new features to it, simple stuff like resting to regain morale, send out caravans to bring food to the camp and keep the army you're marching well fed, and you can also train your troops as you put camps up on your way to your destination. So running into an enemy camp can give you different types of approaching as sneaking in, spying (we have roguery in the game, spying could literally make you follow them through the map in auto-run, if your roguery is too low, you might get caught and you fight your way out, getting emprisoned if you're not able to).

Assassinating the head of the army or kidnapping him should break the army's morale completely as they don't have a commander anymore and the other lords that were accompanying the commander should be highly influenced to simply disband the army and go back to their settlements. Stuff like that could tip the war balance completely towards your own faction, breaking the high morale of the other faction, subduing them into a peace agreement. Also, executing lords whilst they're your prisoners should discourage the enemy kingdom with fear, breaking morale aswell. It could even come to a decision where, in a bargain between both kingdoms, if the enemy kingdom actually asks for your head, your king should highly consider it, if it means bringing peace to your kingdom, since perma-death is a thing now, why not use it?

Diplomacy needs to play a huge part in this game, right now any faction you join feels like they're handing out declarations of war with no consqueneces whatsoever, even when the kingdom is failing to prosper it's economy and even failing to keep castles well guarded with garrison (I've seen a few castles not even having men on the garrison, the only men available was the militia guys, which are actually produced by a construction perk).

Right now, you can't even propose peace with another faction, it is literally greyed-out and you can't do anything besides joining or leaving the kingdom because you don't agree with the king's decisions. Being a vassal right now just plays such a small role in the game that it's preferable to simply go your own way solo, but even that, even not being a kingdom, factions can also declare war on your clan, and you don't even own a settlement.

I legit think declaration of war should first be a propose from the king (AI or yourself) to your council, and there should be an objective that comes with that proposing. Proposing a declaration of war should be in majority not-supported by the council, specially if the faction is struggling to keep their fiefs prospering. Taleworlds needs to absolutely drag the wars out, so it takes way longer to partake in a faction battle. Also, if you're attacking a huge settlement, let's say a castle or a town and you have too many casualties, this should highly influence the ruler to simply declare peace and enter an agreement treaty with the faction by offering something in return (fiefs, money, even proposing a daughter's hand in marriage) so the peace remains for quite some time. And make the declaration of war softlock into a period of time before that faction can declare war again. Like the sworn barter you do to enemy lords. Some enemy lords actually propose to you to stop raiding/attacking their villages/castles for a period of time, and you're bound to that oath till the timer runs out.

In a playthrough, we were actually waging war against the Vlandians, me being a Sturgian vassal and I came across a party of 3 Vlandian lords, I had a bigger army so they ran off, but I went towards them anyways and I opened the menu prompt to wish to discuss something with one of the lords and say that our factions shouldn't be at war, the barter window came on and he offered an oath to not attack his settlements for 15 days, I also offered some money in return, since I can't propose a declaration of peace within my own faction. The peace offer didn't go through, but I accepted the oath to not attack them and I could see my own faction's vassal attacking their castles and other settlements, but if I clicked on it, trying to join them, the "Send troops" window were greyed-out for me with a message prompting after hovering my cursor over it saying that; "You cannot attack them, because you sworn an oath". So I literally couldn't help my faction nor attack their settlements because of an oath I sworned to one of that faction's lords. And this could be introduced to the declaration of war aswell, if your faction declares war on another and they soon come to a peace agreement, your faction shouldn't be able to declare war again for, I don't know, months maybe? A year? And so, the faction you were at war with, also cannot declare war on your faction during that period, and this would resolve a lot of problems with the steamrolling issue.

Last edited:
Balancing is something that will constantly be worked on and improved through the Early Access period. It might be that the AI is currently pressing its advantage when their opponents are on the back foot and not giving them any respite. In theory, I guess that's what it should do, but it does have a negative effect on gameplay.

The devs are definitely aware of this issue and it will be looked in to.
That's because they don't feast after capturing something and instead just continue the campaign instantly. ?

Something that I didn't quite understand the reason why it got removed was; Camps. I think the camp should be brought back into the series and added a **** ton of new features to it, simple stuff like resting to regain morale, send out caravans to bring food to the camp and keep the army you're marching well fed, and you can also train your troops as you put camps up on your way to your destination. So running into an enemy camp can give you different types of approaching as sneaking in, spying (we have roguery in the game, spying could literally make you follow them through the map in auto-run, if your roguery is too low, you might get caught and you fight your way out, getting emprisoned if you're not able to).
I agree with the main point of the thread but I also think this is very important and would be highly immersive. In early game I would like to see a feature to train your troops in a camp, because it feels like recruits take too long to level up if you have not the first leadership skills. Interaction with your troops is inexistant, in Warband there were some short dialogues with regular troops. Maybe asking them how they feel about the army, the leadership, etc. and they giving a response depending on the morale value.
Another thing I wonder is: is the character's culture effect only some little passive perk? I would like to see troops of your own culture having higher morale and troops with the culture of enemy clans having lower morale and eventually defecting.

And if I time jump considerably longer into the future I should see a faction on the verge of winning.
Otherwise, what’s the point of an AI in the first place if they can’t do anything on their own?

No, you should be gradual shifts back and forth, you shouldn't see an entire faction eliminate all others. That's not fun.

AI doesn't seem to defend any town sieges really, shouldn't the ai know when a town is gonna be attacked and defend it? I watched the queen of the southern empire who only owned hubyar in the south get sandwiched between her town and the sieging army and bounced back and forth until she was able to find an angle out and then left the last town to fall. The army was 300 units against the towns 270 and what should of been her extra 100, with more joining the siege later. I was able to defend a town once cuz all the friendly ai generals sat outside waiting for it to die so i sallied out and got reinforcements

I believe in a strong AI that’s capable of making intelligent decisions for itself without the need for any player interaction.

The AI DOESN'T Make intelligent decisions the whole reason this snowballing exists is because the AI is absolutely brain dead. It runs around with no troops getting caught by bandits, declares war when losing all their current wars, seizes territory in the middle of enemy territory rather than adjacent to their own and rides into combat with a tiny number of troops only to all get stackwiped, or worse they run up to an eneny sieging a town or castle and bounce back and forth until the siege ends - at which point they all get captured and imprisoned.

Additionally none of the other nations react to the growing threat, which is why one nation even manages to streamroll in the first place.

You like stupid and non-functional AI, not smart AI.

Yes, thats what I'm saying. Balancing the game so that one faction eventually gets the upper hand and takes over ruins the sandbox experience because if you want to take your time and not rush to doing late-game stuff you'll be stiff out of luck cause one faction rules everything. You won't be able to carve anything out for yourself after that.

Yep, I don't want to feel rushed. It would ruin the game for me. I'd go play games with timers on missions if I wanted that.

The AI DOESN'T Make intelligent decisions the whole reason this snowballing exists is because the AI is absolutely brain dead. It runs around with no troops getting caught by bandits, declares war when losing all their current wars, seizes territory in the middle of enemy territory rather than adjacent to their own and rides into combat with a tiny number of troops only to all get stackwiped, or worse they run up to an eneny sieging a town or castle and bounce back and forth until the siege ends - at which point they all get captured and imprisoned.

You like stupid and non-functional AI, not smart AI.

You're taking my posts out of context. I was debating with another poster on the importance of player intervention.

Back
Top Bottom