Users who are viewing this thread

Do you think we should rely on mods? What do you think?
I am not against any decision, even from enthusiasts, if it can stop the Snowball - it’s probably not possible to get to know the game differently, as the developers wrote that it would take them months to eliminate the Snowball.
And to start a new save game when the update comes out, I now have no desire.

Honestly, some sort of civil war or revolt mechanism would be excellent. It could be a result of low lord sentiment. Snowballing defections should be heavily nerfed too.

Not at all. Top priority should be performance. Then it should be multiplayer matchmaking ranked system. Then whatever else.
Performance has been getting fixed, that last ai pathing fix was massive. Could be hardware or settings too high for your rig because it runs smooth for a lot of us.

Use the vortex mod manager. And don't forget to click 'elevate' after you install the mod, this prevents the very common 'crash on startup' bug with mods.

Also I've heard good things about this one:

But I have no first hand experience of it yet. Will report back when I do.
Thank you very much, now I will be signed with your links.

In the tweaks mod, I've noticed he did two important things: he buffed garrisons, and he also slowed the siege timer slightly (85% of native), this makes food more of a factor, creating an unofficial attrition mechanic of sorts, this means that due to the slower siege preparation, the army can't often sustain itself, coupled with the higher casualties from taking better garrisoned cities/castles, and also the food mechanic causing army starvation. This means they can't just continue on and on and on and forces the army to disperse earlier.

This does not deal with the fact that armies are still consistently spammed, but it does make recovering take more of a toll due to the losses. Overall, at least in my playthrough, it's causing a pretty nice relative stalemate with an occasional settlement changing hands, and often the original faction reclaiming it after a year or so, it's making it much more believable.

. So a script like if ai takes 40% of an a faction settlements it peaces out or gets ganged up on by its neighbors could help

To me, putting hard limits on how much a faction can take is worse than letting factions snowball. I like that big battles and sieges have real consequences and trying to stop a dominant faction/ saving a dying one has been a lot of fun for me. I think the level of snowballing right now is almost perfect the only change needed would be a coalition like system where factions team up to stop bigger ones or a defense pact system. I hated how static base warband campaigns were and how dumb the campaign AI was. The fact that everyone who complaints about snowballing names a different faction shows that it’s not an inequality in the way the factions are set up but it’s more about one faction winning crucial engagements to gain the edge. There’s nothing wrong with that to me, in fact that’s a great mechanic if you ask me

In the tweaks mod, I've noticed he did two important things: he buffed garrisons, and he also slowed the siege timer slightly (85% of native), this makes food more of a factor, creating an unofficial attrition mechanic of sorts, this means that due to the slower siege preparation, the army can't often sustain itself, coupled with the higher casualties from taking better garrisoned cities/castles, and also the food mechanic causing army starvation. This means they can't just continue on and on and on and forces the army to disperse earlier.
Yes, I agree with you, after a long siege, attackers often lifted the siege in history because of a lack of food supply, and to reorganize troops from illnesses, etc.
Is this tweak installed separately?
I now read a lot of different tweaks there, I'm not sure if this is all necessary for me or not. There is one more with gangster camps, I have multiplied them a lot now, and they need to be destroyed, the bandits are teeming already very much, and regular kingdom troops are busy plundering villages, completely not catching the bandits.
This does not deal with the fact that armies are still consistently spammed, but it does make recovering take more of a toll due to the losses. Overall, at least in my playthrough, it's causing a pretty nice relative stalemate with an occasional settlement changing hands, and often the original faction reclaiming it after a year or so, it's making it much more believable.
It is very nice that you have returned the game to a more playable version.

And on the second link, if you install, and a tweak to the garrisons in addition, as you suppose, what could theoretically happen?

I mean, I think this is a solid temporary fix for the symptoms until they treat the underlying disease...lack of peace time, no war goals, no penalties for overextension, no rebellion mechanic (even though they have revolting for settlements/castles if morale drops too low), etc.

In the meantime, this will allow you to actually play the game beyond the first 2-7 in-game years without the entire map being painted with one (maybe two) colors at best.

It also makes player intervention more impactful, since as Aserai, we were able to retake two of our cities that were lost and essentially return to our original borders before pushing on to take Danustica. Regarding the other cities, Battania took Charas, and Northern Empire took Ortongard, all other cities are with their original habitants. So it is still really anyone's game.

Possible Solution: Add more diplomatic options for Kingdoms, clans, etc. to engage in diplomacy with each other, and perhaps also add a full blown diplomatic AI like the one that exists in Paradox Interactive grand strategy games. Perhaps even introduce a threat rating or something like this which increases with the size a kingdom has in comparison with the rest of calradia which leads to other kingdoms forming coalitions against it if the rating becomes to high.

Yeah, I like Paradox approach in that case. In Stellaris there is a War Exhaustion mecanic, and a threat mecanic that can push IAs to ally against you. In Bannerlord, if a faction is too strong and to theartful, maybe AI can wait that this faction declare war (or being engaged) and then engage them: The aggressive AI will have to fight on 2 fronts (or more) at the same time.

I made my suggestion here : https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/prevent-snowballing-with-war-exhaustion.407828/

Ok, thanks for the clarification! I’ll put into the game the second mod your link.

The first link has a lot of different tweaks. on version 1.06 they have now signed that someone is having problems.

A war and game that last forever has no point.
But it does! Why else have an heir system? Just imagine all the rebellions, civil wars, new factions rising, it would be glorious! :smile:

I'd rather start a new game than fight the same battle, over the same castle, against the same enemy for a hunderth time.
If you start a new game, wont you be doing exactly that anyway? Fighting the same battles over and over? Is it not better to fight those battles on the same legacy save where your clan is rank 5 and soon to become King/Emperor?

Ahh, ok. Is it always Empire? I didn't notice this up until now, playing about 15 hours in my campaign. Battania got strong, taking some locations from Empire, now Empire is taking them back. Or what do you mean with "barely gets off their feet?"
Nope. In my game Vlandia is barely hanging on by a thread and Khuzait is snowballing. It’s a problem for towns and castles to change hands this often and this soon. Haven’t been playing for long.

Yeah, I like Paradox approach in that case. In Stellaris there is a War Exhaustion mecanic, and a threat mecanic that can push IAs to ally against you. In Bannerlord, if a faction is too strong and to theartful, maybe AI can wait that this faction declare war (or being engaged) and then engage them: The aggressive AI will have to fight on 2 fronts (or more) at the same time.

I made my suggestion here : https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/prevent-snowballing-with-war-exhaustion.407828/

I think:
- 1- Casus belli

- 2- War fatigue among the attacking kingdom population

- 3- Civil wars when a kingdom has too many settlements or clans or too much war fatigue, or war with no casus belli

- 4- Alliances against excessively strong kingdoms

- Did I say civil wars, when a kingdom becomes too big? That would be great.

- Possibility of rebel factions, in general, many more internal battles: bandits who take castles, rebellion of bandits, peasants....

They need a proper casus belli system for wars, so that they are more limited in scope (a war over a disputed city does not lead to an entire empire being conquered).

Also city cultures should actually matter when it comes to unrest. Battanian cities conquered by the Empire should be more willing to rise up and assert their independence than other Imperial cities. This alone would limit snowballing, because it would mean that any faction which conquers the world is going to face massive cultural rebellions throughout most of its territory.

Last edited:

But I have no first hand experience of it yet. Will report back when I do.
Sturgia saved from destruction!
Patch 1.06, I installed on your link this WarAttrition mod.
362-game-day-Sturgia.jpg
Immediately I had a save game where I attacked the city of Balgard. After the capture, he sat night and in the morning a notification flew in that the world had come with the Kuzaiti and the Empire, and the war immediately began only with Battania.
I believe that Sturgia has a little time to gather an army to defend a kingdom against one kingdom.

I will inform you how things are going.

I don't think the snowballing can really be called a bug. I think it's a mechanic that needs to be adjusted, but I don't think it was unintended, so it doesn't fit the definition of a bug.

More to the point, it should not at all be the top priority. What should be top priority are actual bugs that affect performance and cause the game to crash. Snowballing should be top priority among balance changes and gameplay adjustments. That being said, I would be very surprised if it isn't high priority for them right now. Snowballing is caused by a huge combination of game mechanics working together in a way that players consider to be unfun. Because Bannerlord AI doesn't cheat (unlike Warband), enemy lords and factions have access to the same mechanics the player does. In warband, after conquering Calradia, are you able to attribute your success to one and only one game mechanic? No, you use all the tools at your disposal together to play smart and conquer the continent.

I may have gone into too much detail with that, but back to the point, snowballing is caused by a bunch of AI using the game mechanics win. Developers can't just write a line of code:
Code:
Snowball_Issue = false
They need to slightly adjust the game mechanics. We saw some of this a couple days ago, when they allowed lone lords to take troops from garrisons.

But it does! Why else have an heir system? Just imagine all the rebellions, civil wars, new factions rising, it would be glorious! :smile:

To point is to eventually conquer all.
Not necessarily the entire continent with your first character, but your heir.

What's the point of forging a new empire if it's NEVER stable and I constantly have to fight civil wars? All things must come to an end.

If you start a new game, wont you be doing exactly that anyway? Fighting the same battles over and over? Is it not better to fight those battles on the same legacy save where your clan is rank 5 and soon to become King/Emperor?

Technically, no. A new character in a different scenario. I might be fighting Batanians instead of Khuzait, because they started steamrolling this playtrough.

I guess there is some miscommunication going on here, since we seem to have different time frames and game stages in mind.

Back
Top Bottom