The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass

Users who are viewing this thread

That's why in battle they usually rode in pack with lances crouched. Some of them landed hits some not (some died in the attempt). The problem is that AI is not capable of targeting whole group instead of singe units.

I'd say one of the bigger problems, then, is that very few lances couch in this game. Or more accurately, that very few lances given to cavalry troops couch.

I went into the files that the Body Collision Mod alters and I did some tweaking of my own. ***for reference, all files I alter are located in Mount&BladeII Bannerlord > Modules > Native > ModuleData***
1. Relevant file: 'monsters' --- Actually found that changing body_capsule radius to 0.5 (native is ~0.37, and mod changes to 0.45) makes battles longer and less "****show of swinging swords and death". Any higher than that and I feel it's difficult to move through my own soldiers, and the chances my weapon gets stuck mid swing before impact gets frustratingly high. 0.5 balances soldier spacing and swing interruptions (though that still happens often enough if I'm in the middle of the fray). There's a little bit of jittery-ness during combat that can't be avoided as near as I can tell, as it seems to be caused by three or four of my soldiers pathfinding towards the same enemy and thus continuously bumping one another aside.
2. Relevant file: 'managed_core_parameters' --- JUST changing body_capsule makes ordering your soldiers into a distinct formation somewhat cumbersome as your soldiers are constantly trying to push their way into position, but cannot because the body_capsule has changed. In order to fix this, go into managed_core_parameters, and change BipedalRadius to 0.5 (or whatever the body_capsule value is).
3. Relevant file: 'native_parameters' --- The mod also attempts to alter infantry speed. I don't really like the level to which it changes it to, and after (very) limited testing, I felt that changing 'bipedal_speed_multiplier' to 5.0 was a comfortable compromise between native (~6.2) and the mod (4.0).

Gonna play around with other values and see what happens! Have done all my testing in Custom Mode, 300 v 300 infantry only

Be sure to back up your files first, but going in and changing values like this should not corrupt anything. (I edited with Notepad++)

Actually that's an excellent point. I'm sure in WB you could aim a block after you pressed the button to block. Right now you have to aim first which means turning your character.

what I say is that for example you move the mouse to the right to hit and the hit comes from another direction. Even seen it with the direction signs activated; the movement is correct but the game does not interpret it well.

Just tried it and it is somewhat fixed, much better than before but there's still some distance between characters that makes it harder to use shield bash. This is the closest you can get to the NPC.
4IW4YwT.jpg
This is not brytenwalda or warband mods. You CAN walk and do shield bash, try to advance and make the shield bash, you will see how they work

There should be an adjustment for sure. However, cavalry should be able to move through units somewhat. Or do more physical damage when a horse tramples over you. Horses wiegh anywhere from 1000-2000lbs I think? Maybe more.

However a proper shield wall of twenty men should be able to stop a charge with some injuries. There is a balance to be had here.

I just played a 500 v 500 battle and it makes me reconsider whether this game's combat is salvageable. I have no idea what even happened during it. Horses buzzing around like flies, cavalry slipping through archers who hold their ground and take 3 charge damage from heavy cavalry, masses of infantry just swinging in random directions from all sides...it's just...such a total mess. Unit collision and mass changes should help a bit but there seems to be no real tactical, rank-and-flank-style combat. It's just a swirling mass of random units.

Oh, and nobody breaks. Ever. Everyone fights to the death. My battle resulted in fewer than 10% of the original participants alive. Wut.

Not breaking most likely. I'm not sure what your settings are on but the last ~5-10% (usually up to 50 men in huge battles) will break and try to run at the end. If you want to change the swirling mass of random units, try going into the game files and raising the body_radius and bipedal radius (i changed mine to 0.52). It helps to reduce the confusing massing of the units, and slows down the melee fights. But still don't get as much tactical opportunity or differentiation between battles as I'd like. Obviously the combat needs some overhauls beyond just changing some ingame values. But it helps

Here's your units breaking:

1C6923CE0249CFBAC80945976BE8F5DE336A07AD

Literally last man standing.

30 men out of 900 fled.

Last edited:
I played the battle again and when it was 200 vs 100 it was still a fight to the death. A few basic infantry with arrows sticking out of their necks still swinging shortswords at cataphracts. Can post more screenshots if people care, as well as a few good ones showing the overall mess of a battle.

Bumping this is as this needs full attention till it's sorted

I wouldn't say full attention... Yeah, it could be better. Works alright as it is now though. Might not be as easy to fix as we think, though. Collision boxes are some weird ****, depending on the engine.

I just played a 500 v 500 battle and it makes me reconsider whether this game's combat is salvageable. I have no idea what even happened during it. Horses buzzing around like flies, cavalry slipping through archers who hold their ground and take 3 charge damage from heavy cavalry, masses of infantry just swinging in random directions from all sides...it's just...such a total mess. Unit collision and mass changes should help a bit but there seems to be no real tactical, rank-and-flank-style combat. It's just a swirling mass of random units.

Oh, and nobody breaks. Ever. Everyone fights to the death. My battle resulted in fewer than 10% of the original participants alive. Wut.
Strange, in my game units break a lot.
Cavalry buzzing around like flies is classical M&B, but I really wish they someone could do something about that. It wouldn't be so bad if cavalry could actually hit something. I feel so stupid when I flank the enemy line thinking I'm going to melt the enemy range troops with a strong charge only to see my cav go straight through them like water and then buzz around aimlessly and get deleted by arrows in less than 2 minutes. :mrgreen:

They need to add some real formation scripts. As in units of a same group try to stick in formation after they charge. It can't be that hard to implement, can it? Meanwhile, after the initial charge you can order your cav to regroup somewhere and charge again. Of course by then that battle should be over because infantry murder each other too fast and the inital charge did nothing and the enemy archers have deleted half your cav.

Back
Top Bottom