Wasn't the refactor supposed to speed up development?

Users who are viewing this thread

I never understood how they didnt tank years ago. They went like 8 years with basically no product being made, and you can only sell so many copies of warband after its already been bought. And they ramped up to a 70+ person size which is a ton of money. SOMEONE was pouring money into TW.
Warband was sold 7 million times by 2017. There are also the expansions and VC. As a small team they probably didn't have high development costs.
AFAIK they also get supported by the government. I don't think money ever was an issue for them.

The appearance of a game does not neccesarily have to have anything to do with things. The core of bannerlord is not what it looks like, that's completely incidental. the core is a campaign system that can reliably allow dynamic movement of entities and their expansion, and a combat system that can allow high-fidelity movement of the player and ai units number up to (and likely beyond) a thousand. THATS the real bannerlord, what you put on top for humans to see can be horses and knights, tanks and gunners, or spaceships and lasers.

I agree, but what I meant was more a marketing thing, that they're planning a game completely unrelated to the only thing they're known for.

I agree, but what I meant was more a marketing thing, that they're planning a game completely unrelated to the only thing they're known for.
Game companies don't have to do only one thing. In fact, branching off into a different genre with your proven tech can be a wildly succesful venture. There's nothing bad about it. In fact it can generate news that will draw attention to them for it, and as its been said, "No publicity is bad publicity"

Im not too surprised that theyre starting a new project, but what does surprise me is that it's a scifi game before any DLC or MnB 3 or whatever. Starting a new title unrelated to any previous work is always a massive risk, and for a company in such chaos it's very odd that they would take such a risk right now.
Actually, not so surprising. Right now BL is doing three things: Cleaning code/bugs, using the current code to add features (quests and interactions), and adding in art (new towns/villages/castles).

That actually doesn't require a huge team to do, especially with the proper tools. So it's a perfect time to take all the people who developed the engine and game structure in the first place and shift them over to a new project, especially if it's a project that will require may parts to go to square 1 in development, which a sci-fi themed game would require. No matter how good their underlyign system is, sci-fi will requrie specific tailoring to make it work.

Game companies don't have to do only one thing. In fact, branching off into a different genre with your proven tech can be a wildly succesful venture. There's nothing bad about it. In fact it can generate news that will draw attention to them for it, and as its been said, "No publicity is bad publicity"

Agreed

It worked for Paradox Studio's to do exactly that.

Actually, not so surprising. Right now BL is doing three things: Cleaning code/bugs, using the current code to add features (quests and interactions), and adding in art (new towns/villages/castles).

That actually doesn't require a huge team to do, especially with the proper tools.

I think their patches show they are not doing this well and need all the help they can get

in this video, they interview Armagan in a gamescom (It's in Turkish, I'll translate the important part)

Interviewer :"Will you make another IP, another game that's not Mount & Blade in the upcoming future? Maybe there isn't a certain game decided yet, but do you have anything in your mind?"

Armagan: "We have lots of projects, in my home I have a file cabinet full of game ideas, but taking them seriously and start working on them takes serious time and investment and planning, but it can happen"

AFAIK they didn't expect bannerlord to sell this good, so they now have enough money & enough time and enough time for planning. I don't think it's a marketing only thing

I think their patches show they are not doing this well and need all the help they can get
Their patches are chock full of fixes and additions. 1.5.6 alone added over 40 new large detailed scenes. Features were added, crashes fixed. Simply because the bugs are still behing smashed doesnt mean they're not doing well. Game development is no where near linear enough for such a thing to be true.

Their patches are chock full of fixes and additions. 1.5.6 alone added over 40 new large detailed scenes. Features were added, crashes fixed. Simply because the bugs are still behing smashed doesnt mean they're not doing well. Game development is no where near linear enough for such a thing to be true.

What features exactly?

What features exactly?
.....sometime some numbers go down and a towns color changes and you attack them and then the color changes again to your color and now you check then numbers to make sure they don't go down to far..... or else the color will change again....
Arrows don't do as much damage
And you can get t5-6 prisoners to join you.
THIS CHANGES EVRYTHING!

That actually doesn't require a huge team to do, especially with the proper tools. So it's a perfect time to take all the people who developed the engine and game structure in the first place and shift them over to a new project, especially if it's a project that will require may parts to go to square 1 in development, which a sci-fi themed game would require. No matter how good their underlyign system is, sci-fi will requrie specific tailoring to make it work.

Except their engine is already outdated. It needs a DX12/Vulkan backend if they really want to get the performance for big battles.

DX11 performs terribly on AMD hardware, and if they plan on a console release like they've been hinting at, they are going to need to fix that.

Aren't rebellions heavily bugged and causing issues?
That wasn't the point. If everything they add to the game would work flawlessly there would be no point in having a beta. ?‍♂️
By the way, there are dozens of other new features in 1.5.6. They are all QOL / minor in my opinion but there is quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom