[UNPOPULAR OPINION] The amount of "mods" on nexus will KILL the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Problem with all these mods/tweaks (and i do appreciate the work!) is just that they easily create imbalances in the game when used with other mods. So you really have no idea if your doing a good job or not in the strategy portion because your mod made have made the game too easy.

Again i use the Chessboard analogy - if you buy new chessboard but there are no rules with it or maybe some half-a**'ed set of rules - thereby you create your own with different movement patterns etc -is that a good game? Or is it not expected that you're given a game with highly calibrated ruleset in which you know that if you've won you've done a good job.
The chessboard analogy is a pretty poor comparison though, since a good game is a game you enjoyed playing. So if you end up completing the missing rules in a way that results in you having fun, it's good enough. It's the same with mods ultimately.

Trust players to know what they like and enjoy.

The chessboard analogy is a pretty poor comparison though, since a good game is a game you enjoyed playing. So if you end up completing the missing rules in a way that results in you having fun, it's good enough. It's the same with mods ultimately.

Trust players to know what they like and enjoy.
Bro my son can have a ball with a stick and couple rocks - doesnt excuse the the baseball gear maker if we pay money for it. When you buy a game with strategy in the genre title, it is peer expected you have a completely fleshed out system whether it says Sandbox or not

LOL this is ridiculous.

If people want to make or use mods, let them.

I would not even be playing right now if it weren't for mods. How does that help the game?

Bro my son can have a ball with a stick and couple rocks - doesnt excuse the the baseball gear maker if we pay money for it. When you buy a game with strategy in the genre title, it is peer expected you have a completely fleshed out system whether it says Sandbox or not
Strategy is extremely scarce since intrigue isn't properly imported in the game.

Still, mods having the possibility of being compatible with each other shouldn't mean they NEED to.

Again, still not the best analogy, because that's still more like your son already playing with the baseball gear during the construction in after work hours. Sure one day he can play basketball properly as intended but until then, might as well play the sticks and stones way.

The game's unfinished and those small mods and tweaks just let us have fun already even before it's done. I really don't see how that's hard to understand.

Again, still not the best analogy, because that's still more like your son already playing with the baseball gear during the construction in after work hours. Sure one day he can play basketball properly as intended but until then, might as well play the sticks and stones way.

The game's unfinished and those small mods and tweaks just let us have fun already even before it's done. I really don't see how that's hard to understand.

Because you have to look at how the gaming industry has changed. Releasing incomplete games and allowing modders to do the rest is becoming more and more common -especially in sandbox style games ie Arma 3 -guilty of same Business practice. Your logic is too simplistic -"Oh well yeah we'll just have fun with the little parts until hopefully they give us better parts..". I cant help you.

Cant break a game with mods if its never fixed

Because you have to look at how the gaming industry has changed. Releasing incomplete games and allowing modders to do the rest is becoming more and more common -especially in sandbox style games ie Arma 3 -guilty of same Business practice. Your logic is too simplistic -"Oh well yeah we'll just have fun with the little parts until hopefully they give us better parts..". I cant help you.

His logic is too simplistic? You seem ok with this new gaming model....?

Last edited:
What if i tell you that these "tweaks" you mention are created because developers cannot handle all the reported native bugs quickly by themselves?

Well I mean, is having to FIX the actual game to a halfway decent state with tweak mods appropriate? Absolutely not, it doesn't bode well for the game for sure. Will casual players just give up sifting through the ****? For sure.

But ultimately the good big mods, years down the road, will rise to the top through word of mouth. I think some people have a lot of passion for this kind of stuff and asking them to just stop isn't a good way to go about it.

However I will agree that the current state of the game and the constant recommendation for mods on an ea alpha game isn't wise. Especially when I see all the whining and complaining about broken games and saves. What the hell did you expect the game is in alpha and you're modding it lol.
Agree that this model of EA is cancer to the gaming industry, but on the modding an alpha....Not much choice, single player barely functions without them

What if i tell you that these "tweaks" you mention are created because developers cannot handle all the reported native bugs quickly by themselves?

What if i tell you that with the amount of money they just made they can afford to hire enough devs?

I'm sorry, but am I understanding this correctly? You believe players should not be making and using mods because it's the devs' jobs to deliver a good product and we shouldn't modify the game to have fun playing it until the Devs did their job?
Don't be mistaken, I'm as annoyed and unsatisfied as anyone else but sitting around and rejecting mods and tweaks that make the purchased product fun and playable sounds pretty unproductive because me not playing the game isn't making the Devs fix their mess any faster, you know.

I can understand your concern.
But,i would point out to Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion. Freak, any game from Bethesda Dev Studio (notPublisher, the Devs)
Their games, are basically timeless, because of mod support.
Today, i can download my morrowind and with a couple of hours of looking through nexus, i can have a way better experience than i had in the past.
Same with Skyrim.
And those games had the same problem of lots of "mods", or "Tweaks" during the first few months of the game out.
But, at the long term, what keept the games alive for years were mods.
I didn't play Warband,but for what i've seen around the community, the same can be said for that game, the lifespam of a game from 2010, even with expansions,been actively played at 2020 is amazing. And it's not only thanks to a good game, but thanks to modding.
Give time, wait for the modding tools to come out, and specially for the devs to finish cleaning the base game and putting all the features in.
Until then, the early, more crude mods are here to be an helping hand.

About people complaning about broken saves on EA game and specially modded game.
It's innocence. At least i would point out that those people, are probably people that have never meddled with early level stage modding. Specially on a EA game.

Freak,i lost count of Colonies i've bricked on Rimworld while it was still on Alfa, no mods. Just because a patch broke the previous colonies.
That's part of the dangers of buying a EA game, specially a complex game like RW and Bannerlord are.
But look at RW now. Out of EA, first Expansion on, and the modding community even helped the devs into adding features, that the community at large wanted and the devs haven't thought of yet (I'm looking at you bridges...)
And of course, the modding community of RW now is so freaking big, that there are mods that could be seen as real expansions, like Rimworld of Magic, Rim of Madness, Save our Ship that freaking added SPACE BATTLES on what was originally a simple colony simulator inspired by dwarven fortress but with guns.

So again, have patience, if you don't, go back into Warband and wait for Bannerlord to get into a stable, out of EA state, if you don't want to deal with bricked saves.

Sorry for long text, but god dammit, modding is a passion of mine. I really should learn how to code...

I'm sorry, but am I understanding this correctly? You believe players should not be making and using mods because it's the devs' jobs to deliver a good product and we shouldn't modify the game to have fun playing it until the Devs did their job?
Don't be mistaken, I'm as annoyed and unsatisfied as anyone else but sitting around and rejecting mods and tweaks that make the purchased product fun and playable sounds pretty unproductive because me not playing the game isn't making the Devs fix their mess any faster, you know.

No, not what im saying. What im saying is that the Devs shouldnt rely on Mods to "take care" of certain parts of the game that i deem essential the developers make themselves to keep the game calibrated to a high standard.

No, not what im saying. What im saying is that the Devs shouldnt rely on Mods to "take care" of certain parts of the game that i deem essential the developers make themselves to keep the game calibrated to a high standard.
That is... a bit pretty offtopic, then, since neither the original post nor any devs implied that they are relying on mods to fix their game. "I use mods while the devs are doing it properly" and "I expect the devs to deliver a good, well adjusted and finished product in the end" are not mutually exclusive stances.

Back
Top Bottom