Release without M&B core mechanics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Riffraff99

Veteran
I heard TW want to realease Bannerlord in 2021 or Q1 22, tbh that sounds like a bad joke, it musst be :0
Basic mechanics from Warband are still missing, diplomacy, gear leveling, book leveling, impressing ai with tournament victorys or poems, the relationship bar when you hovering with your courser over the ai, bandit raids in citys, building upgrades wich also appear on the map of the villages, castles and citys, holding feasts and some other things i forgot.

How can TW even speak about release if Bannerlord is far away from finish?!

and some other things i forgot.
i gotchu
and this thread at the top lists a combination of promised features, and missing warband features https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...cess-roadmap-ready-for-you-taleworlds.440590/
I don't know how their internal teams work, but my far-fetched hope is that the people working on the mod tools will be free soon to work on other areas of the game.

They don't want to have all the warband features. They say vaguely that they're discussing more things they can add to the game if it's not too hard, but it seems clear trying to complete the warband goodie bag isn't part of what they want.

I forget which topic, but when I asked about sword sisters a dev said something like "Well we could enable another unit but what would it add to the game?" Like they just don't get it. It's not just a unit , it's awesome light Cav that you can only get by raising up the puny peasant women you rescue and it was really cool and everyone wants them in bannerlord.

i gotchu
and this thread at the top lists a combination of promised features, and missing warband features https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...cess-roadmap-ready-for-you-taleworlds.440590/

I don't know how their internal teams work, but my far-fetched hope is that the people working on the mod tools will be free soon to work on other areas of the game.
Thx
They don't want to have all the warband features. They say vaguely that they're discussing more things they can add to the game if it's not too hard, but it seems clear trying to complete the warband goodie bag isn't part of what they want.

I forget which topic, but when I asked about sword sisters a dev said something like "Well we could enable another unit but what would it add to the game?" Like they just don't get it. It's not just a unit , it's awesome light Cav that you can only get by raising up the puny peasant women you rescue and it was really cool and everyone wants them in bannerlord.
Yes it feels like TW doesnt understand the success of their own work, i had in WB 3 womens i rescued and they followed me til i got my first castle, units like the sword sisters are striking and gave you a reward for hunting bandits with prisoners, it made the gameplay more deep instead of flat as we have it in BL.

Last edited:
Basic mechanics from Warband are still missing, diplomacy, gear leveling, book leveling, impressing ai with tournament victorys or poems, the relationship bar when you hovering with your courser over the ai,

Core Mechanics....?

Books, poems and hovering the cursor to see the relationship...?

visible.jpg

I know you just want to throw muck around... but come on. That's were you draw the line? The freaking... books?

-Feasts to slow down the god damn permanent warfare.
Feasts pretty much broke that game.... I'm not saying they shouldn't be replaced by *something* but King Harlaus dragging every vassal from across the realm to a feast every 2 weeks did not help the sandbox health...

Swadia (without player interference) was pretty much always 100% doomed every game - partly due to this.

This is the case with so many things. They think it's a small thing that doesn't affect the game, so why bother adding it. It's why the game still feels like an empty shell.

Feasts pretty much broke that game.... I'm not saying they shouldn't be replaced by *something* but King Harlaus dragging every vassal from across the realm to a feast every 2 weeks did not help the sandbox health...
Actually the sandbox health was pretty fine and you're exaggerating a bit (not to mention, two weeks is a longer time in Warband than it is in Bannerlord). Also clearly nobody wants that particular part to be brought back. There's an obvious solution: prevent feasts from being declared during wartime.

Feasts were good because they gathered lords and ladies into a central location where you could talk to them easily all at once. It also added to the immersion to see lords actually doing something that wasn't combat, it gave you a peaceful way of gaining relations with lords for a less combat-oriented playthrough, and the holding-a-feast quest gave the player a reason to travel around the world and something to do during peacetime.
Swadia (without player interference) was pretty much always 100% doomed every game - partly due to this.
That's a bit of a meme.

I didn't make that video, but I have partially tested it independently myself on two different saves. The first one ran to 100 days where I didn't help any major faction, played normally for a little while then just sat in Dhirim. In the second one, I sat in Tihr for 80 days and did absolutely nothing. In both of my saves, there was barely any capturing of major cities at all without player intervention.

I heard TW want to realease Bannerlord in 2021 or Q1 22, tbh that sounds like a bad joke, it musst be :0
Basic mechanics from Warband are still missing, diplomacy, gear leveling, book leveling, impressing ai with tournament victorys or poems, the relationship bar when you hovering with your courser over the ai, bandit raids in citys, building upgrades wich also appear on the map of the villages, castles and citys, holding feasts and some other things i forgot.

As far as I remember WB needed the diplomacy mod to have useful diplomacy mechanics. The other that you mention are far from core...

I never wanted a clone of WB with better graphics, as mods showed us there were a lot of opportunities to improve WB mechanics and make a better game, that was what I tough it would be BL. I expected that they will review the most popular mods released and will create a new game with the lessons learned.

But I never tough that we will be in the current situation, a great battle simulator that needs some balance yet (normal) and nothing else, because the underlying idea of TW seems to be delegate as much as possible any kind of management to the AI and give to the player a very simple/idiotic mechanics to interact with the world outside of fighting.

As I said sometimes in other post I will never understood why they have created the scenes, the production model, the merchant model, etc (all of them complex and difficult to tune) without any apparent purpose.

Absolutely agree. It seems they have forgotten what made WB so popular.

Actually the sandbox health was pretty fine and you're exaggerating a bit (not to mention, two weeks is a longer time in Warband than it is in Bannerlord). Also clearly nobody wants that particular part to be brought back. There's an obvious solution: prevent feasts from being declared during wartime.

Feasts were good because they gathered lords and ladies into a central location where you could talk to them easily all at once. It also added to the immersion to see lords actually doing something that wasn't combat, it gave you a peaceful way of gaining relations with lords for a less combat-oriented playthrough, and the holding-a-feast quest gave the player a reason to travel around the world and something to do during peacetime.

That's a bit of a meme.

I didn't make that video, but I have partially tested it independently myself on two different saves. The first one ran to 100 days where I didn't help any major faction, played normally for a little while then just sat in Dhirim. In the second one, I sat in Tihr for 80 days and did absolutely nothing. In both of my saves, there was barely any capturing of major cities at all without player intervention.

I'd like to see them back - but I'd like them to have further functionality .

I mean yes yes I am exaggerating to get my point across. There are some core mechanics 100% missing from Bannerlord. Though I do find people are maybe a little too tight on this.

No one is ever going to convince me the poetry in Warband was a 'Core' Mechanic :xf-tongue:

The point is, it wasn't any one specific thing that made original M&B and Warband so good, it's that there were a LOT of small things that kept it interesting. Bringing back Sword Sisters wouldn't solve the problem, but it would be one step in the right direction. Bringing them back with some minor "quest" to allow them to train up above some low level would be more interesting. Adding some other oddity INSTEAD of Sword Sisters would very likely do the same thing, it's not SPECIFICALLY Sword Sisters than made it good, and adding BOTH things would be better yet. Feasting wasn't a "great" feature in Warband by any means, but it was one more thing to do, with actual in-game effects (unfortunately, some of them problematical). Features that reinforce each other feel more integrated and realistic, such as an economy where food or certain materials affect the rate of population growth, or the production of other items. One should be able to have at least a small impact on the game world by trading or political influence, not only through combat.

Ultimately, if there is nothing worth doing outside of the ordinary troop trees and too-blatantly random war/peace mechanism, the game will inevitably be bland and boring. The combat system will draw players, but they won't stay for long due to the lack of things outside of that combat system. Bannerlord is turning into a reasonable foundation, but so far they've only put a featureless box on top of that.

Last edited:
The point is, it wasn't any one specific thing that made original M&B and Warband so good, it's that there were a LOT of small things that kept it interesting. Bringing back Sword Sisters wouldn't solve the problem, but it would be one step in the right direction. Adding some other oddity INSTEAD of Sword Sisters would very likely do the same thing, it's not SPECIFICALLY Sword Sisters than made it good, and adding BOTH things would be better yet. Feasting wasn't a "great" feature in Warband by any means, but it was one more thing to do, with actual in-game effects (unfortunately, some of them problematical).

Ultimately, if there is nothing worth doing outside of the ordinary troop trees and random war/peace mechanism, the game will inevitably be bland and boring. The combat system will draw players, but they won't stay for long due to the lack of things outside of that combat system. Bannerlord is turning into a reasonable foundation, but so far they've only put a featureless box on top of that.
I don't disagree with that - but I'd rather push for newer more interesting features then bringing back tired olds ones.

Also... Sword Sisters are actually in the game. Just they aren't recruitable right now. It's quite strange because it would seem all they needed to do was make peasant women recruitable from farmer parties or just add them as tavern mercenaries.

Weird... but they are genuinely there. Sitting and waiting.

I'd like to see them back - but I'd like them to have further functionality
Agreed, but I'd still be happy if they came back even if they didn't get further functionality.
I do think that with the features Bannerlord has already added such as animated NPCs and board games, feasts will feel a lot more lively than they did in Warband too.

Agreed, but I'd still be happy if they came back even if they didn't get further functionality.
I do think that with the features Bannerlord has already added such as animated NPCs and board games, feasts will feel a lot more lively than they did in Warband too.
Yes exactly, imagine feasts where you play games like Tablut against Kings and Vasalls and manipulate the influence and relationship without any figth, it would be something diffrent wich made in my opinion M&B great and successful.

Core Mechanics....?

Books, poems and hovering the cursor to see the relationship...?

visible.jpg

I know you just want to throw muck around... but come on. That's were you draw the line? The freaking... books?

Yes, small but important, the relationship bar is something personal what i want back.

TW sounds like the Stephanie Meyers of developers. They have a decent concept, but then goes and focuses on the least interesting things.

I wouldnt say the reason Swadia was getting rekt is due to them doing feasts, all factions were doing feasts. They reason is that they were in the middle of the map. Pun intended, they were a feast for all the surrounding faction, easy to siege and as soon as they were at war with more than 1 faction, they were doomed.

Feasts slows down the pace of the warfare which is a huge meme in bannerlord IMO. Everything is all about warfare and it gets repetitive very quickly. If you dont participate in the warfare, one faction ends up snowballing before you even get into clan tier 3. The immersion in Warband was by far better, and the fact that there was peaceful time and meaningful ways of getting relationships with lords helped to that matter. Right now Feasts in bannerlord would only serve to reduce the warfare, because there is 0 intracy to the dialogs in the game so far and the only ways to gain relationship with lords seems to be tied with warfare all the time.

Bannerlord bores me to death with its constant warfare with that small amount of factions. I restarted Warband and logged in with the Game of Throne mods, god damn does the pacing of the game feel better. You dont see castles changing color like i change underwear.

Back
Top Bottom