OpenBRF Redux — A de-rusted, bug-fixed version of the tool

Users who are viewing this thread

... The idea is to keep the program well-maintained, develop it openly, and accept suggestions and improvements from the community. :party:
Is it possible to change so that the exe automatically checks which language files are in the translations folder when the program is run, AND to use the previous language without the user having to set the language each time?

I'm not in a particular hurry, but I think it would be inconvenient to request the maintainer to add a provided language file and build each time a translator appears.

I've been translating the original openbrf_en.ts into Japanese (using Qt Linguist) for the past few days, and today I happened to come across your Redux version while looking for information on whether Marco Tarini is active.

Hi, @tos1. If you PM me the translation file and your e-mail address (to credit you on GitHub so that it appears as your change) I can add it to the normal Redux version without problem, I suppose I can do both, so that you can have newer external translations in case I disappear.

Marco hasn't been active since 2016-2017, I think. But you can probably e-mail him.

Thank you for your consent and for the information. I will start translating your Redux version once it becomes stable a bit.

Because, as you know, even if just one word changes, the relevant part of the translation file becomes useless (the original English text is displayed), and even if only a code line is shifted, many line numbers are shift and lines in Qt tool's preview will be shifted. That makes the correcting work of the translation difficult.

Actually I mistakenly translated an older version of Marco's, and it took me two extra days to write a "script to generate sed scripts" to convert it to translation for the Marco's latest version. I can't afford to repeat that process every time your Redux version is often updated.

I understand 3D and programming to some extent, but am still new to modding.:xf-smile: Translating Eärendil's guide, I'm trying some mods' brf with OpenBRF to learn how to use them. I'll write here if I notice something to improve about your Redux version from beginner's perspective.

Thank you again for the great project! Absolutely timely for me.

Last edited:
Because, as you know, even if just one word changes, the relevant part of the translation file becomes useless (the original English text is displayed), and even if only a code line is shifted, many line numbers are shift and lines in Qt tool's preview will be shifted. That makes the correcting work of the translation difficult.

Actually I mistakenly translated an older version of Marco's, and it took me two extra days to write a "script to generate sed scripts" to convert it to translation for the Marco's latest version. I can't afford to repeat that process every time your Redux version is often updated.
My version is more stable and complete than the original, the whole point is just bug-fixing and removing annoyances.

I don't think minor text changes should make existing Qt translations unusable, that doesn't make a lot of sense and defeats the whole point. If you upload your translation file I can take a look. The strings are 99% identical, with just a few typos fixed.

More updates. Download the latest version from here.
  • Fix a regression that made it impossible to change vertex animation frames on skinned meshes when the skeletal animation is set to «no animation», female armor variants still play skeletal animations just fine. Reported by @Dalion.
  • Avoid mojibake in non-English text that is hardcoded in the source code by loading the strings with UTF-8 encoding instead of Latin1.
  • Hopefully fix another regression with redo/undo/repeat in the roto-translate tool after making it possible to move the 3D camera while editing.
    • Also fix the 3D view not refreshing on Ctrl + R, when repeating the action. All this took a lot of research.
  • Make the repeat action/Ctrl+R functionality more apparent by moving it from the Tools menu to the end of the Edit menu.
    • It was almost hidden, not even long-time modders knew about it, me included. Suggested by @kraggrim.

Back
Top Bottom