Beta Patch Notes e1.7.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello,
Even though there are no major features added in 1.7.2 and unfortunately nothing was done to the new Troop Assignment System (that has a lot of people complaining about), I feel some of the "little" additions/fixes will have a significant effect on the game.
I highlighted the ones I am very happy with. I also highlighted and underlined the ones I think are GREAT little fixes/features.

I am still hopeful the game will continue to improve surely but very slowly. Not very hopeful much will be done to the troop assignment system though as it was not mentioned at all in this patch and the devs have been completely silent about it since it was initially introduced. This leads me to believe this is a done deal and "it is working as intended"!

Anyway, I still think this patch will bring significant game play improvement.

Thank you,
APC
I'd just like to emphasize this point, as I fear the devs might undervalue this feature,
even if it might not be used by the majority of the players right now, I think with the development of mods, this feature will be missed

for example, CA - Eagle Rising has sling units that we can't separate from the normal archer units, I imagine when the elephant update releases we wont be able to separate them from the horse units. having to divide your troops every fight is also tedious.

Beta e1.7.2​

0fb007d5bdec7b10a4b23cb6d50d96fd_w200.gif

You know I try to have reasonable expectations. I just thought or wanted to believe 1.7.2 might have some cutscenes, banners, or heck maybe even just some decent custom banners. Perhaps even voice lines or some new battle terrain maps if we were lucky.

Apparently I just need to set the limbo bar all the way to the floor.

Well... can't blame ya for not sharing details on this one, I mean when all you're doing is some basic fixes. Though I think I'd be less miffed if someone had in say January told us 1.7.2 was mostly fixes and not to expect any new features til Q2.

Singleplayer​

Performance
  • Optimised siege script components.
  • Optimised animation systems, especially for scabbards and reins.
  • Optimised ranged siege weapon usage by AI.
  • Optimised core campaign logic and mechanics to improve general campaign performance and reduce AI decision spikes.
  • Optimised the overall memory usage of the game.
  • Optimised the loading of game menus.
  • Optimised the mass transfer of formations to prevent spikes.
  • Optimised UI-related memory usage in missions.
  • Optimised the reinforcements spawn system. Reinforcements now spawn one by one.
  • Fixed a memory leak that occurred during field battles.
Well FPS seemed better for the one large battle I tested last evening.

I don't see how reinforcements spawning one by one fixes anything. Now instead of teleporting all at once, they teleport in like dominos. Why is is it so hard to just have reinforcements spawn in by the scene borders?
UI
Changes
  • Added a sorting system to the quests screen. Quests can now be sorted by "Date Started", "Last Updated" and "Time Due". The latest "Sort By" selection is tracked and applied when re-opening the screen.
Yes! This is what we needed! A way to sort all the highly engaging quests that are completely pointless after you reach Clan Tier 2!

My eyes were ready to fall out of their sockets straining to look at all my Quests. Thankfully the Party Screen has always been very easy to manage, no trouble at all!
  • Added an equipment set selector for encyclopedia troops.
Good. Everyone can see why certain units suck now.
Battles and Sieges
  • Added an option under the Gameplay tab that allows you to determine the order in which troops should spawn.
    • Default: Troops spawn according to their position in the roster.
    • High Level: High level troops will spawn first.
    • Low Level: Low level troops will spawn first.
    • Homogeneous: High and low level troops will spawn in equal ratios.
This would be good, except it's in the game menu. This would be far more useful in party screen. But hey we got some control over spawns, so take what you can get I guess.
Character Development System
  • Siege engine kills now award Engineering XP instead of Athletics and Throwing.
Well at least Engineering is feasible to level up now. Still be nice if you could get XP for hitting/destroying walls on campaign map.

Though you have made it harder to level Athletics, so seems like giveth/taketh.
Performance
  • Moved some human face generation steps to GPU to reduce loading times of some scenes.
Cool I can be like a phantom, just like em Souls games
krBDWMj.png

Conversations & Encounters
  • Prisoner Interaction:
    • You can now interact with prisoners.
    • You can try to coax prisoners into defecting.
    • It is now possible to ask to talk to prisoners of other parties.
    • Fixes and improvements to dungeon guard dialogues.
    • Fixed a bug that caused the battle encounter menu to open when talking to a prisoner in a fellow army member’s party.
A few checks/conditions need to be passed in order for the dialogue option to appear:
  • Main hero must be in a faction.
  • Main hero is not a mercenary.
  • The prisoner must be in a kingdom faction (not a minor clan).
  • Main hero and the prisoner are not in the same faction.
  • The factions that the main hero and the prisoner belong to must not be in war.
  • The prisoner must not be a faction leader.
I imagine that in your case, one of these didn't pass. Maybe you can check and let me know?
I'm gonna ****ing guess it was this one and will be this one for 99% of players trying to talk to a prisoner XD

Ah ha ha ha!
tom-cruise-laughing-gif.gif

So we can now talk to Prisoners in neutral Kingdoms... Yes! That's exactly what I want to do as a Vassal/Ruler, go to neighboring Kingdoms and chit chat with their Prisoners. Because dragging large amounts of troops over the map, to go to a Kingdom that may very well declare war on you, to talk with a Prisoner that may very well escape/get let go due to Peace, is totally reasonable!

But yep heaven forbid you ever talk to enemy Prisoners and try to coerce them to join your side, set em free for money, etc. Why, that would make sense!

I'm sorry, but this game's development is just absurd. Glacial levels of progress, can't share details about anything pending, and then "fixes" that are largely pointless or a step backwards as much as they are forwards, and often totally out of touch to player QoL.

Time for another year-long hiatus for me, greener pastures and all that. Maybe by then can expect a realistic finish date of 2023 or 2024.

There will be two different queues, solo and group. In the group queue, you will be able to queue up as a team of 2, 3, 4 or 6 players.

It doesn't start the match (won't place you in a server) without 12 players.
Right now if there is no 12 players online you need 6 players in queue to get a 3v3 match no matter if you are in a duo stack or solo. So late at night you can't play 3v3 or 4v4's because there aren't 12 players online to fill a game. You are telling us you will kill the matchmaking late at night because you will need 12 players? That's crazy! The game does not have enough players to demand 12 players at all times. I still think match needs to start in 3v3 format like now. If you require 12 players in EU servers you can play 8 hours a day instead of 12-14 in early day and late night. At that time there is less people searching.
Separating queues is a big mistake unless you make it possible for solo players and stacks to eventually meet because there is no other stacks or solo players around. You are going to cause long queues. Instead of separating the stacks and solo players just make sure teams get balanced well based on the ranks of the players.

Some questions:

A while ago, a developer mentioned ranked would use GLICKO-2, is that still the case?

How are the ranks distributed? Will it be a "climb" where MMR is generally inflated throughout a season and then reset, or have a hard average that all ranks are placed around? (Or a mix.)

On that note, will Conqueror be limited to the top 15 players, or something similar?

Is there any performance-based MMR?

If groups are locked to 2, 3, 4, and 6, does that mean a match won't be able to start until a group of equal size is found?

Considering that we're moving into ranked, will there be more frequent balance patches? For example, in Skirmish some factions have very low winrates in the community matchmaking, and some matchups in Captain are probably 99+% in favor of one faction on half the maps.

So we can now talk to Prisoners in neutral Kingdoms... Yes! That's exactly what I want to do as a Vassal/Ruler, go to neighboring Kingdoms and chit chat with their Prisoners. Because dragging large amounts of troops over the map, to go to a Kingdom that may very well declare war on you, to talk with a Prisoner that may very well escape/get let go due to Peace, is totally reasonable!

But yep heaven forbid you ever talk to enemy Prisoners and try to coerce them to join your side, set em free for money, etc. Why, that would make sense!

If you read further in this thread, you'll see that Dejan just made a mistake and relayed the wrong set of conditions. You can talk to your own prisoners.

Inappropriate behavior (flaming)
0fb007d5bdec7b10a4b23cb6d50d96fd_w200.gif

I'm sorry, but this game's development is just absurd. Glacial levels of progress, can't share details about anything pending, and then "fixes" that are largely pointless or a step backwards as much as they are forwards, and often totally out of touch to player QoL.

Time for another year-long hiatus for me, greener pastures and all that. Maybe by then can expect a realistic finish date of 2023 or 2024.

They obviously have a list of things to do, this release, being minor, you get conversations with prisoners.....

What they don't seem to understand is that - BATTLES is the key aspect of this game. They need to get battles working properly first, to show how good this game can get. yet we get a major backward step with PreBattle sliders .. <snip>. Plus you only get 8 groups ! ?? and where are the BATTLE-LINES ??? These improvements obviously not needed for <snip> ...

It's obvious there should be 2 versions of this game - <snip> and Quality Bannerlord..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how reinforcements spawning one by one fixes anything. Now instead of teeporting all at once, they teleport in like dominos. Why is is it so hard to just have reinforcements spawn in by the scene borders?
Yeah, this would be better. Even if reinforcements spawned just a short distance behind the starting spawn, it would stop the AI from camping on their spawn point and their reinforcements teleporting into the player's army.
Good. Everyone can see why certain units suck now
Vlandian Pikeman and Sturgian Heavy Spearman appear to have gotten a bit of a buff to their armour, which is good- though after some testing they both still suck, and will continue to do so until Taleworlds fixes the poor protection of armour and the poor speed and damage of pikes/spears.

The converting prisoners feature is actually good, you can convert prisoners during war, it just needs to be a clan leader. Tested it just now and it works.

I'm glad most of everyone here agrees that this patch did absolutely nothing to bring this game closer to the target Q2 release date. A lot of work still needs to be done, especially on how reinforcements work because it seems like this is still an on-going issue.

I'm glad most of everyone here agrees that this patch did absolutely nothing to bring this game closer to the target Q2 release date. A lot of work still needs to be done, especially on how reinforcements work because it seems like this is still an on-going issue.
It definitely wasn't enough progress for the three months it took them, but I wouldn't say it "did absolutely nothing" to bring us closer to release either; it resolved a handful of long-term community complaints - AI zigzagging on campaign map (maybe), MP ranked matchmaking, Engineering XP gain, being able to talk to and recruit prisoners, and they cleared up a lot of dialogue issues and deficiencies. And of course there were the usual performance and modding improvements, bug/crash fixes, etc. which are definitely needed to get closer to launch.

Is this enough for 3 months of work? No. Is there still a long way to go? Yes. But is it progress? Yes.

Engineering XP gain
You know the patch is lacking when someone has to point out a change like this. I mean for real, that´s like changing a few words in the code isn´t it? Should have been done a long time ago.

Are we sure yet that the AI campaign behaviour is now really "fixed" or just "better"?

Didn't see anything about fixing the bug that caused companions to go into "holding" when they failed quests. Reported this back in January.

@Dejan @NIN3 Very sorry for the ping, but I feel like now is the time or never to do it.

To me, and to many players, Captain mode has a main issue that has never been addressed in Bannerlords multiplayer but has been in warbands (NW) commander battles years ago.

Rambos (players leaving their formation to attack the enemies alone) are in every captain mode match...

I always felt like captain mode is a game mode focusing on the commandment skills of the players. Winning a round in this mode should be about which team is the best at giving orders to their troops and about which team has the best team play. Also, (as Mount & Blade is not Total War) the fighting skills of the players should have a part in the battles once orders have been given (for example: a player, charging with his line of infantry). All in all, the player should be acting like an officer, giving orders to his formation and fighting with its troops once it's time to deal as much damage as possible. That's exactly what Taleworlds seams to advertise with this game mode in this video (in this gameplay recorded by taleworlds, there is no rambos, so it seems like it's taleworlds vision is that the captain mode should be played like that):

Currently the game mode is not played like that. Players use cavalry regiments as extra lives and attack the whole enemy army alone. Infantry players leave their line in the back of the ally army and go behind enemy infantry lines to use the IA flaws which makes them turn their shields and show their back to enemy archers...

Here is a example of a rambo cavalry player (he is fighting in the middle of the enemy army):
Link to the video

Here is a example of infantry players ramboing to hit ally infantry in shield wall and making them show their back to enemy archers:
Link to the video

Those are only 2 examples, but this type of "gameplay abuse" is present in every captain mode match and destroys it.

So here are my questions:

- Is Taleworlds working on a solution to this issue ?
- What is Taleworlds vision for this game mode ? (I don't understand it as this issue has been there since the first tests of the beta before the EA of Bannerlord and it hasn't been fixed. I'm a developer myself and all the easy fixes that the community has sheared on this forum sims easy to implement and relevant)
- Are we going to see any changes on this matter before the live version of the 1.7.2 ? (Launching the ranked games with the rambo meta still in the game mode would make it the norm)

As a M&B content creator that loves Captain mode, every week I play captain mode matches with my community though Clan Matches. In those, we forbid ramboing and the result is here. Our games are fun, not frustrating, much more tactical and bring many epic fights. We play like taleworlds do in its gameplay showcases. All the feedbacks that I have from new players that test captain mode through matchmaking are something like that: first, they struggle with how they are supposed to give orders to their troops and before they find out, they are getting destroyed by one guy, who is killing all of their archers by simply spinning around them.
When new players try the captain mode matches without rambos in it, they do not win, but they see what is the potential of the game mode and want to play it again to improve their commanding skills !

This issue needs to be fixed as soon as possible and especially before the release of the ranked matches. I hope that I will have a answer on this ?

@Dejan @NIN3 Very sorry for the ping, but I feel like now is the time or never to do it.

To me, and to many players, Captain mode has a main issue that has never been addressed in Bannerlords multiplayer but has been in warbands (NW) commander battles years ago.

Rambos (players leaving their formation to attack the enemies alone) are in every captain mode match...

I always felt like captain mode is a game mode focusing on the commandment skills of the players. Winning a round in this mode should be about which team is the best at giving orders to their troops and about which team has the best team play. Also, (as Mount & Blade is not Total War) the fighting skills of the players should have a part in the battles once orders have been given (for example: a player, charging with his line of infantry). All in all, the player should be acting like an officer, giving orders to his formation and fighting with its troops once it's time to deal as much damage as possible. That's exactly what Taleworlds seams to advertise with this game mode in this video (in this gameplay recorded by taleworlds, there is no rambos, so it seems like it's taleworlds vision is that the captain mode should be played like that):

Currently the game mode is not played like that. Players use cavalry regiments as extra lives and attack the whole enemy army alone. Infantry players leave their line in the back of the ally army and go behind enemy infantry lines to use the IA flaws which makes them turn their shields and show their back to enemy archers...

Here is a example of a rambo cavalry player (he is fighting in the middle of the enemy army):
Link to the video

Here is a example of infantry players ramboing to hit ally infantry in shield wall and making them show their back to enemy archers:
Link to the video

Those are only 2 examples, but this type of "gameplay abuse" is present in every captain mode match and destroys it.

So here are my questions:

- Is Taleworlds working on a solution to this issue ?
- What is Taleworlds vision for this game mode ? (I don't understand it as this issue has been there since the first tests of the beta before the EA of Bannerlord and it hasn't been fixed. I'm a developer myself and all the easy fixes that the community has sheared on this forum sims easy to implement and relevant)
- Are we going to see any changes on this matter before the live version of the 1.7.2 ? (Launching the ranked games with the rambo meta still in the game mode would make it the norm)

As a M&B content creator that loves Captain mode, every week I play captain mode matches with my community though Clan Matches. In those, we forbid ramboing and the result is here. Our games are fun, not frustrating, much more tactical and bring many epic fights. We play like taleworlds do in its gameplay showcases. All the feedbacks that I have from new players that test captain mode through matchmaking are something like that: first, they struggle with how they are supposed to give orders to their troops and before they find out, they are getting destroyed by one guy, who is killing all of their archers by simply spinning around them.
When new players try the captain mode matches without rambos in it, they do not win, but they see what is the potential of the game mode and want to play it again to improve their commanding skills !

This issue needs to be fixed as soon as possible and especially before the release of the ranked matches. I hope that I will have a answer on this ?

this person is totally right, currently the captain mode only use AI stupidity or their regiment as extra lives, honestly this is your best game mode, and players render it pointless with a gameplay more than cancer .... and gives more salt than a competitf fps like valorant rainbow six siege or cs go. there is a real problem, right? personally I prefer to leave the parts where I see the recurring rambos ... it is not a solution of course, but you do not give any other. I've never vomited so much salt in a game, and yet I'm a big competitive fps player...

Back
Top Bottom