Patch Notes v1.2.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Quite sure any game studio that have a success with their release enjoy counting their money. To claim it's not would be wrong.

That's not the point of the quip and you should know it. Of course I want a company that has created a good product to have financial success- so that they can hopefully continue to create good products.

What should be plainly obvious in my statement is that they seem satisfied with mediocre features (wide but not deep), endless bugs, abysmally slow progress, and a dearth of communication. The reason they can do this is because the marketed a product on the good faith of a fan base who loved the previous games and pushed a pile mediocre bull**** across the table. It is a game that could have been amazing but its development has been managed terribly.

I hope they eventually push Bannerlord across the finish line, at least sufficiently for modders with more grit, talent, and inspiration to make it into something special. I personally will not give them the benefit of the doubt again.

That's not the point of the quip and you should know it. Of course I want a company that has created a good product to have financial success- so that they can hopefully continue to create good products.

What should be plainly obvious in my statement is that they seem satisfied with mediocre features (wide but not deep), endless bugs, abysmally slow progress, and a dearth of communication. The reason they can do this is because the marketed a product on the good faith of a fan base who loved the previous games and pushed a pile mediocre bull**** across the table. It is a game that could have been amazing but its development has been managed terribly.

I hope they eventually push Bannerlord across the finish line, at least sufficiently for modders with more grit, talent, and inspiration to make it into something special. I personally will not give them the benefit of the doubt again.

You played the earlier games in the series vanilla right? No use of mods what so ever... ?

You played the earlier games in the series vanilla right? No use of mods what so ever... ?

You mean the original game from almost two decades ago that first explored the genre? The one started by a guy and his wife in their garage? Do you want to use that to set the expectations for an actual company 100+ people working on the successor 16 years later?

You mean the original game from almost two decades ago that first explored the genre? The one started by a guy and his wife in their garage? Do you want to use that to set the expectations for an actual company 100+ people working on the successor 16 years later?

Typical when people start bring up how much they loved the earlier games they start talk about all the great mods and such they used. So just asking, you compare Bannerlord to the vanilla Warband experience right?

I prefer vanilla Warband (the only mod I ever used extensively was Diplomacy) over Bannerlord because the core of the game, for me, has always been combat mechanics. Warband is simpler, but because it is simpler it is more feasible to do complex things. The evolution of technical ability with Warband's melee mechanics in the Native MP dueling scene was fascinating to me, as a participant and observer. Skills translated 1:1 to SP, though bots would obviously commit on every error.

The key difference for me is the absolute nature of directional blocking & attacks in Warband, as opposed to the variability in Bannerlord. In Warband, blocking up will block all vertical attacks from a wide angle in front of you, regardless of height difference between you and your attacker. The same goes for blocking down. Blocking left and right offers the only exception, where a "wrong" block on one side can still intercept an incoming attack if your "wrong" block is rotated enough to face your attacker. This seemingly odd interaction makes perfect sense when seen in action, though, so it feels natural. By contrast, BL requires correct block direction and intersection of weapon/shield hitboxes to score a block, which means correct timing, input, and facing can still result in a failed block due to terrain or character height difference or short weapon hitboxes. Mixed results from correct input feels bad in skill-based games. The same distinction is made for chamber-blocking, which was so straightforward in Warband that it simply became a way to disrupt timing, and is so finnicky in Bannerlord that almost nobody makes deliberate attempts to do it.

I played M&B starting with the .623 beta for the original game in 2005, was in the first wave of invites for the Warband closed beta in August 2009, and participated in the friends & family beta as well as the closed MP beta for Bannerlord. I've played thousands of hours in the first game, and in Warband both SP and MP where I was deeply involved, but I can't stomach Bannerlord for very long. It does not feel as good as its predecessors, even though it looks better and has some interesting new systems.

Last edited:
I prefer vanilla Warband (the only mod I ever used extensively was Diplomacy) over Bannerlord because the core of the game, for me, has always been combat mechanics. Warband is simpler, but because it is simpler it is more feasible to do complex things. The evolution of technical ability with Warband's melee mechanics in the Native MP dueling scene was fascinating to me, as a participant and observer. Skills translated 1:1 to SP, though bots would obviously commit on every error.

The key difference for me is the absolute nature of directional blocking & attacks in Warband, as opposed to the variability in Bannerlord. In Warband, blocking up will block all vertical attacks from a wide angle in front of you, regardless of height difference between you and your attacker. The same goes for blocking down. Blocking left and right offers the only exception, where a "wrong" block on one side can still intercept an incoming attack if your "wrong" block is rotated enough to face your attacker. This seemingly odd interaction makes perfect sense when seen in action, though, so it feels natural. By contrast, BL requires correct block direction and intersection of weapon/shield hitboxes to score a block, which means correct timing, input, and facing can still result in a failed block due to terrain or character height difference or short weapon hitboxes. Mixed results from correct input feels bad in skill-based games. The same distinction is made for chamber-blocking, which was so straightforward in Warband that it simply became a way to disrupt timing, and is so finnicky in Bannerlord that almost nobody makes deliberate attempts to do it.

I played M&B starting with the .623 beta for the original game in 2005, was in the first wave of invites for the Warband closed beta in August 2009, and participated in the friends & family beta as well as the closed MP beta for Bannerlord. I've played thousands of hours in the first game, and in Warband both SP and MP where I was deeply involved, but I can't stomach Bannerlord for very long. It does not feel as good as its predecessors, even though it looks better and has some interesting new systems.
Thanks for this insight Orion.
To what do you attribute this relative degradation, some sort of paradox, even, now 15 years and more down the IT development track ?
A next generation of personnel at TW, yet perhaps not so talented, or savvy, for their day ?

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that it became feasible for them to develop a more detailed simulation of weapon interactions with a larger team and new engine, and those who make the game don't have the same playing experience or expectations. The justification may have been that attacks which visibly collide with the player hitbox before the block hitbox should bypass the active block. On paper this sounds like a very sensible thing, but the player has limited control over the exact positioning of their weapon or shield during a block, very minor rotations left and right can expose varying amounts of a player's hitbox, and terrain elevation can be difficult to perceive. Most players use third person, and will instinctively angle their camera down in melee so they can see their opponent fully, which makes it hard to notice mild slopes.

If you're not a player who greatly values readability, responsiveness, and precision, then you may not notice or care about attacks bypassing blocks. It doesn't happen terribly often for me, but when it does I notice it every single time because I've had many years of experience, including playing at the highest levels of competition in Warband. I am highly proficient at blocking and expect it to work every time. The average player may just believe they were too slow, accidentally blocked in the wrong direction and didn't see it, or had a weapon crush through their block even if their opponent's weapon isn't capable of it. Maybe they do notice and just accept it as a minor flaw in the game. It's fine to have different expectations, but for me it's a distinct downgrade in the aspect of the game which has historically been the strongest, and inspired many imitators that never managed to feel as clear and responsive.

My personal opinion is that it became feasible for them to develop a more detailed simulation of weapon interactions with a larger team and new engine, and those who make the game don't have the same playing experience or expectations. The justification may have been that attacks which visibly collide with the player hitbox before the block hitbox should bypass the active block. On paper this sounds like a very sensible thing, but the player has limited control over the exact positioning of their weapon or shield during a block, very minor rotations left and right can expose varying amounts of a player's hitbox, and terrain elevation can be difficult to perceive. Most players use third person, and will instinctively angle their camera down in melee so they can see their opponent fully, which makes it hard to notice mild slopes.

If you're not a player who greatly values readability, responsiveness, and precision, then you may not notice or care about attacks bypassing blocks. It doesn't happen terribly often for me, but when it does I notice it every single time because I've had many years of experience, including playing at the highest levels of competition in Warband. I am highly proficient at blocking and expect it to work every time. The average player may just believe they were too slow, accidentally blocked in the wrong direction and didn't see it, or had a weapon crush through their block even if their opponent's weapon isn't capable of it. Maybe they do notice and just accept it as a minor flaw in the game. It's fine to have different expectations, but for me it's a distinct downgrade in the aspect of the game which has historically been the strongest, and inspired many imitators that never managed to feel as clear and responsive.
So Warband did do it ( " swordplay " etc ) quite well, at least for its day.
Do you consider that, say, Kingdom Come Deliverance ( albeit only single player ), was a commendable next - gen " combat simulator " ?
And how do you rate, for example, Mordhau, and Hellish Quart, now, as " evolved " systems ?

Last edited:
Merhaba! 1.2 yamayı oynamıyorum çünkü savaş modu açısından karmaşık! 1.1.0'dan eski savaş modülünün funzkia'sını ekleyebilir misiniz? Düşmana 6 dakika boyunca vurmanın ve sadece içeri girip düşmanlarımı yenmek istediğimi düşünmenin hiçbir zevki yok. Eski aksiyon filmi seçeneğini ekleyin lütfen!

TaleWorlds is like a bad ex, you hate them but can't stop keep coming back

Every time I click on these patch notes I'm thoroughly disappointed, but I keep clicking on them

Back
Top Bottom