7 new maps, Ranked and Battle mode, hundreds of balance changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Farewell Nin3, you were one of my favourite devs for this game, wish you all the best for the future, glad you'll stick around here, cause we love you hehe.

Nice update with troops and balancing once again, always appreciated.

@badbuckle, goodluck and all the best when developing this game, just a side note, it's great to listen to the community feedback and interact with us, but becareful with some users with poor choice of words lol

Thank you all for your kind words! I am kind of blown away really. I had a great time working for you guys.
So I wanted to take this opportunity to drop some more info about the new scenes.

Like I mentioned in the opening post, this scene is structurally mirrored and meant to serve decider matches for tournaments, or any other bo1 scenarios. But at the same time it should still be fun for normal skirmish matches.

The big challenge was to marry the idea of having the same timings, archer positions/angles and advantages for both sides, without having them look the same. This doesn't only have visual reasons, but having different looking sides helps a lot with orientation or call outs as well.

Since the paths / timings for the flags are the same for both teams, it was important for me to make the B flag and the immediate area around it less attractive to take for map control. Otherwise the whole game would only revolve around there. Even while that may still be the case, taking it will be a lot more risky this way and hopefully encourage different tactics throughout the rounds.

The side flags are much more protected. Flag C offers an elevated positions that will be good to defend for infantry and also provides a panoramic view into the deserty countryside. Flag A on the other hand is based right in the middle of an arena, which has some features that some of you might recognize.

aDSUm.jpg

Ditch at B flag

JbIcl.jpg

Elevated C flag, with some jumpable ledges

3zBVa.jpg

Arena flag A, with its mirrored covers

qUdMI.png

Helper objects that set the paths and physics for the scene

Urikskalaar is set in the little talked about border region of sturgia and khuzait. During years of war, the lords of the lands have changed and many new villagers from either culture joined the small settlement set right at the edge of the steppe and the mountains of Stugia.

The contrasting sides of the village are connected by a dam that also serves as a bridge. Both teams have a very quick but risky path to B flag, which is situated at the foot of the dam flanked by cliffs. Rushing there will give your opponent the opportunity to take an advantage on the dam or cut off the narrow paths leading to the other points.

Flag A is based on the khuzait side of the dried out reservoir, in the middle of a circular temple structure that provides cover and limits the angles cavalry can rush onto the flag. Flag B is a little more tucked in on the sturgia side of the village, but offer a lot opportunities on approaching it.

J_OxQ.png

Khuzait side spawn

uPfhk.png

Sturgia side spawn

fTxFH.jpg

Dam in the middle of the scene

hX9rD.png

Flag A with its temple structure

ojrIg.jpg

Flag C in the sturgia village

rTjqa.png

Flag B at the bottom of the dam

The snow in our scenes will be gone with 1.7.2. As a sort of balance for that we will introduce an all snow map, set on the sunny but cold cost of sturgia. A forgotten settlement and castle ruin set on the two hills that get cut in half by a valley road.

Each hill will be home to one flag, while the third one is set inside the middle valley. An improvised bridge serves as a quick but risky connection of the hill side flags. Cavalry will have a lot of room to maneuver outside of the hills, but especially around B and C, will need to rely on their team's infantry to have a foot in the fight.

XYjry.jpg

Flag A inside the castle ruins

Pc2xK.jpg

Flag C inside an old tower

kSFrT.jpg

Flag B in the valley covered by stacked wood

wi_dC.jpg

Improvised bridge connecting A and C

This landscape of this scene is branded by the remnants of a battlefield. Both teams start behind their elevated advantage points, which span nearly half the battlefields width. These hills also give you a lot of cover to maneuver behind, shift your army around while being hidden from your opponent.

Once you are down the valley there is a couple of ditches and walls to use as cover from archers, but generally you will be very much in the open when fighting for Flag B.

A little further away both C and A Flag are on easily defendable positions that also serve as a foot in the door, to take advantage of the rest of the map from.

oJZcd.png

Flag B in the middle of both encampments, right above a shallow stream

C9igc.png

Different perspective on Flag B

DJ77C.png

Flag A with a view of the battlefield behind it

xoWFZ.png

Flag C in the woodcutters camp

Really amazing, thats a long awaited push in content
You can really see the love to detail that has been given to those maps
Thanks a lot

Thank you all for your kind words! I am kind of blown away really. I had a great time working for you guys.
So I wanted to take this opportunity to drop some more info about the new scenes.

Like I mentioned in the opening post, this scene is structurally mirrored and meant to serve decider matches for tournaments, or any other bo1 scenarios. But at the same time it should still be fun for normal skirmish matches.

The big challenge was to marry the idea of having the same timings, archer positions/angles and advantages for both sides, without having them look the same. This doesn't only have visual reasons, but having different looking sides helps a lot with orientation or call outs as well.

Since the paths / timings for the flags are the same for both teams, it was important for me to make the B flag and the immediate area around it less attractive to take for map control. Otherwise the whole game would only revolve around there. Even while that may still be the case, taking it will be a lot more risky this way and hopefully encourage different tactics throughout the rounds.

The side flags are much more protected. Flag C offers an elevated positions that will be good to defend for infantry and also provides a panoramic view into the deserty countryside. Flag A on the other hand is based right in the middle of an arena, which has some features that some of you might recognize.

aDSUm.jpg

Ditch at B flag

JbIcl.jpg

Elevated C flag, with some jumpable ledges

3zBVa.jpg

Arena flag A, with its mirrored covers

qUdMI.png

Helper objects that set the paths and physics for the scene

Urikskalaar is set in the little talked about border region of sturgia and khuzait. During years of war, the lords of the lands have changed and many new villagers from either culture joined the small settlement set right at the edge of the steppe and the mountains of Stugia.

The contrasting sides of the village are connected by a dam that also serves as a bridge. Both teams have a very quick but risky path to B flag, which is situated at the foot of the dam flanked by cliffs. Rushing there will give your opponent the opportunity to take an advantage on the dam or cut off the narrow paths leading to the other points.

Flag A is based on the khuzait side of the dried out reservoir, in the middle of a circular temple structure that provides cover and limits the angles cavalry can rush onto the flag. Flag B is a little more tucked in on the sturgia side of the village, but offer a lot opportunities on approaching it.

J_OxQ.png

Khuzait side spawn

uPfhk.png

Sturgia side spawn

fTxFH.jpg

Dam in the middle of the scene

hX9rD.png

Flag A with its temple structure

ojrIg.jpg

Flag C in the sturgia village

rTjqa.png

Flag B at the bottom of the dam

The snow in our scenes will be gone with 1.7.2. As a sort of balance for that we will introduce an all snow map, set on the sunny but cold cost of sturgia. A forgotten settlement and castle ruin set on the two hills that get cut in half by a valley road.

Each hill will be home to one flag, while the third one is set inside the middle valley. An improvised bridge serves as a quick but risky connection of the hill side flags. Cavalry will have a lot of room to maneuver outside of the hills, but especially around B and C, will need to rely on their team's infantry to have a foot in the fight.

XYjry.jpg

Flag A inside the castle ruins

Pc2xK.jpg

Flag C inside an old tower

kSFrT.jpg

Flag B in the valley covered by stacked wood

wi_dC.jpg

Improvised bridge connecting A and C

This landscape of this scene is branded by the remnants of a battlefield. Both teams start behind their elevated advantage points, which span nearly half the battlefields width. These hills also give you a lot of cover to maneuver behind, shift your army around while being hidden from your opponent.

Once you are down the valley there is a couple of ditches and walls to use as cover from archers, but generally you will be very much in the open when fighting for Flag B.

A little further away both C and A Flag are on easily defendable positions that also serve as a foot in the door, to take advantage of the rest of the map from.

oJZcd.png

Flag B in the middle of both encampments, right above a shallow stream

C9igc.png

Different perspective on Flag B

DJ77C.png

Flag A with a view of the battlefield behind it

xoWFZ.png

Flag C in the woodcutters camp

isn't Pendaric is an old map from 2019-20 mp beta?

Also, they are old maps same as others, besides Sharis i think, I am asking this because I remember you saying effect lots of these maps are canceled.

Sharis looks like a very enjoyable map thank you. Also thank you for saving other old maps from dying.

Could you also save this map from 2014 before you leave?. Like our tools are not same as What taleworlds haves and I believe you can save it. If it is not much work for you, I believe this map could be played in tdm or battle. Like this map has a history it is 8 years old maybe even older. I think it should be saved as other good maps.

image.png

image.png

This map was working in mp beta but now it is not working in the current version and leads to crashes. and without SceneEditData only taleworlds can fix it properly.

isn't Pendaric is an old map from 2019-20 mp beta?
Yep I made the first prototype of the map a long time ago. Since then I comepletly remade it though and gave it an gameplay and graphical overhaul. Also its not set at night anymore.

The other 2 scenes are both as new a Sharis is.
Could you also save this map from 2014 before you leave?.
I wont be saving or including any more scenes before I leave. I mean I already kinda left. There is a lot of factors that go into if we release a scene or not. The main assets of the scene you are referencing is still in the game btw, the old ruin with the undergorund rooms. I am sure people will use it in future scenes.

Really amazing, thats a long awaited push in content
You can really see the love to detail that has been given to those maps
Thanks a lot
Thank you! I hope you will like them once they are out.

Combat Changes​

• The radius for getting stunned when aiming with your ranged weapon has been increased
Goodbye @NIN3, thank you for all of your work!

As an archer main I want to share my opinion about this change. Arrows don't work as a hitscan(as expected) so you can't shoot people easily from distant locations. If you also have your teammates there it totally depends on luck. Currently only effective strategy is staying close. With the increase of running speed for infantries(they run like horses) this already has become a difficult challenge. Archers can't run away and they get a clear disadvantage in sword fight because of the speed gap. Therefore, this change also eliminates "staying close" strategy. Making that change is no different than deleting archers from the game.
@badbuckle pls no bully archers, yes??

Goodbye @NIN3, thank you for all of your work!

As an archer main I want to share my opinion about this change. Arrows don't work as a hitscan(as expected) so you can't shoot people easily from distant locations. If you also have your teammates there it totally depends on luck. Currently only effective strategy is staying close. With the increase of running speed for infantries(they run like horses) this already has become a difficult challenge. Archers can't run away and they get a clear disadvantage in sword fight because of the speed gap. Therefore, this change also eliminates "staying close" strategy. Making that change is no different than deleting archers from the game.
@badbuckle pls no bully archers, yes??
Archers are literally the main force in every game I've played, to the point that this game may as well be a shooter. These changes to make infantry have a chance against archers are very welcomed, not to mention in this game is VERY easy to shoot uncovered areas with a shield (round shields are kinda useless at this point imo) which gives archer a load of advantage, so idk if archers have to run away at all anyways.

Back
Top Bottom