What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

There's too little focus on the environmental impact of producing electric vehicles.
We all know a considerable part of the energy used to charge them are from coal and gas,
but that will obviously/hopefully change as more renewable sources are used.
The extra materials and energy involved in manufacturing a lithium-ion battery mean that, at present, the carbon emissions associated with producing an electric car are higher than those for a vehicle running on petrol or diesel – by as much as 38%, according to some calculations. Until the electricity in national grids is entirely renewable, recharging the battery will involve a degree of dependence on coal or gas-fired power stations.
Electric batteries in cars need to be changed every 3-5 years, and they are filled with various chemicals that pollute when produced, and if not handled properly.
So while we're transitioning to renewable energy we need to continuously find better - non-polluting - technology.
Just like cars in the early 20th century helped clean the streets of New York from horse manure, lithium helps us to cleaner air. But it too has environmental problems.

Hydrogen is a good alternative, although also highly flammable.

Hydrogen has its own issues. IIRC, most it is currently produced through steam reforming of natural gas, which means you still have to do something about the carbon dioxide. It'd still be more manegable than LNG vehicles, by virtue of it being released at fixed centralised locations, where you might convince folks to do something about it. "Might.™"
Electrolysis just makes it a glorified energy storage medium, which means you instead have to switch to a method of generating all that power, with losses, in the first place. And, also, unless you're using the halfway point of combusting the stuff, you'll still have the other half of an electric drive train, which generally involves transition metals.
Frankly, whichever way you go, some poor third world **** is getting shafted so hard, his grandkids Kalash, Stoner and John Moses will still feel it.

Just try and take the bus, people.

Last edited:
Nah, I think UN has been fairly succesful in the past. And still kind of is. It is just that with the end of the cold war, it lost much of its purpose and mission and that in the recent years, western nations' influence drops and thus the west is losing one of the last permitted vehicles of imperialism.

Human Rights is a positive thing and the UN was established as 'peacekeeping'. We haven't had a World War since, so that's sort of an accomplishment.
Besides, what would you replace the UN with? Or if you just want it gone how else should nations multilaterally attempt diplomacy and peacekeeping missions to avoid future wars running amok, i.e. WWI and the crazy sequel?

If the UN didn't exist, it would have to be invented. You simply need the broadest international forum and a mechanism to sanction rogue moves by states in a coordinated way.
The loudest UN opponents (many US conservatives) seem to have contradictory views:
- the UN is ineffective, veto powers and a big, inefficient bureaucracy cause this; also diplomacy is slow; (US) it doesn't always do what we want
- the UN is too powerful and is a foundation of the future NWO, I'm scared

My issue is that it has been and is currently being used to subvert the very principles it upholds. What kind of organization can pride itself on a universal declaration of human rights when China and Russia sit on the human rights council? It's a pointless affectation and it's more useful right now for curbing the influence of Western powers and giving a platform to anti-Semitic politics.

My issue is that it has been and is currently being used to subvert the very principles it upholds. What kind of organization can pride itself on a universal declaration of human rights when China and Russia sit on the human rights council? It's a pointless affectation and it's more useful right now for curbing the influence of Western powers and giving a platform to anti-Semitic politics.
What's the solution?

There is no easy solution, but right now the United Nations is in an advanced state of decay, unable to enforce the principles it was founded on, unable to mediate the conflicts it used to solve, and generally it's just a mess and a relic.

I believe the word you're searching for is "anti-Israel." Anti-semitic is not the same.

I'm aware of this, and while the United Nations tries to combat overt anti-Semitism where it exists, like with Holocaust denial, the same people it gives a platform to in criticizing Israel (not all of it unwarranted, mind you) also tend to be the ones spouting anti-Semitic rhetoric on the side.

I personally dislike the state of Israel not just for the human rights abuses but because I feel that "the West" should be trying to demolish the concept of ethnonationalism.

I was thinking why a certain mobile game exists. Irritating ads with some goofy-looking dude as the hero and a bunch of dumb sequence-puzzles.
Its one of those weird "other dimension liminal space woowoo" games where all negative criticism kinda is memory-holed :grin:
Easier to find articles on how The Witcher 3 is awful, but not about Hero Wars...

And now I am thinking of all the mobile game ads that you see where they rip off gameplay from a computer game, and the fact that apparently that is just fine, and it makes me want to punch the people who put those ads there a little (just a little though).

Back
Top Bottom