What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

I think you should first check if the PC is even Win 11 compatible. It requires fairly new CPUs.

Download the Health Check app.

I have personally never tried upgrading, so can't help you with that.

Might be easiest to back up what you need and to just install Linux Mint on it or something, unless there's something Windows exclusive that you absolutely need.

Windows 11 is a real pain in the ass, it forces broken updates on you and you have to edit the registry to prevent them. Pretty much every new feature is broken in some way and the UI is awful. They reached near perfection with windows 7 but because CEOs and developers have to justify their existence, they changed everything in windows 10 and have been making it more bloated and trashy as a result for years. Resist, arvenski

So, I've started playing around with an AI art generator website. It's fun. It's addictive to type in some prompts and then keep clicking the button to see what it comes up with every time. It's strange, though. Like, every once in a while the thing creates a beauty. That's when it gets all the details right and makes something that could almost be a real photo. Other times it struggles. Faces seem to be the hardest thing for it to get right: sometimes they'll be really realistic, but then other times I'll get image after image where the faces are messed up. The most common problem is with the eyes: one eye will be unnaturally large or shiny, while the other might be half shut. Down Syndrome faces are unfortunately common, too, and then every now and then I get cartoon abomination faces which are the worst.

edit: It is hella cool when it works, though. Like, I love creating stories, sometimes I'll dream up characters and a setting and keep building on them for months or years even (all in my head ofc, never written down). However, I am not an artist so I never thought I'd be able to see any of these imaginings pictured in front of me. Just now I typed a short description of a character of mine into the generator, and by like the second image I was like "Holy ****, that's actually her." Or at least, the images were reasonably close to how I imagine her. Technology is impressive.

Anyone else got any experience playing with these things? Jacob?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about AI the last few hours because yesterday I said something on twitter to intentionally piss off people who have knee-jerk reactions against it and a load of people got really mad. Then I saw this thread in the notifications with your pfp and thought "hahahaha wouldnt it be funny if arvenski was coincidentally also talking about generative AI instead of his ongoing quest to find a farm wife". It's such a ridiculous coincidence that It'll probably take me days to fully process. Either I'm clairvoyant or the CIA has finally penetrated my tinfoil hat.

Ive used AI a bit to help with game development or just to have fun with. If you know what its limitations are, it can save hours of repetitive tasks. For instance I'm fairly good at 3D animation but it's an immensely tedious slog. I hate doing it. But a fairly obscure russian AI animation software called Cascadeur has been out since 2017 or something, and it boils the task down to stuff where human skill is actually required, and then all the bouncy physics stuff is handled by the AI. This is something like a 50x productivity increase that allows even solo developers like me to make hundreds of professional animations in a short amount of time.
I've also used AI to make face textures from a combination of drawings and photos. I can definitely do it manually but the process is tedious and requires a lot of trial and error.
I used AI to upscale a digital drawing I started too small. Besides a few artefacts it looks exactly the way I would have painted it if I had started it at a decent resolution, saving me pretty much an entire day of work.

I also put an easter egg on my website where if you mouseover some icons for long enough they start to animate. One of them is generated from one of my drawings and a gif of Abigail Shapiro. :lol: It looks janky (in part because my own drawing had some unsightly asymmetry) Ibut this was really amazing at the time (i.e. barely 4 years ago). The fact that it materialises an ear and the teeth out of nothing in the original image was a real shock to me. I've been following AI for ages but it had always been a novelty with no practicality outside google or facebook using it to recognise features in images.
image_icon_shap.gif
ffe.gif

Then I saw this thread in the notifications with your pfp and thought "hahahaha wouldnt it be funny if arvenski was coincidentally also talking about generative AI instead of his ongoing quest to find a farm wife". It's such a ridiculous coincidence that It'll probably take me days to fully process. Either I'm clairvoyant or the CIA has finally penetrated my tinfoil hat.
:lol: That is a hell of a coincidence; I'm glad I provided you with some amusement.

Nothing worth reporting in regards to the wife quest. Clearly, I need to find other things to talk about.

Double post, I know.

Anyway, back in February/March I bought a house. It was a rushed decision tbh, I never finished moving in, and by summer I could tell that it was a mistake. Anyway, a few days before I was to sign the deal on the house, I came down with a cold. I had to postpone the final meeting with the realtor because the day I was supposed to meet him, I sounded like death and I couldn't go 5 minutes without blowing my nose. Now I'm selling the house, and my realtor wants to meet tomorrow to discuss the sale, and... I think I'm coming down with a cold. This would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that I'll probably spend all day tomorrow trying not to vomit. Wonderful. This is why I hate planning things in advance, because sometimes I feel like making plans is daring the universe to make me or someone else around me sick that day. Marvelous.

Double post, I know.

Anyway, back in February/March I bought a house. It was a rushed decision tbh, I never finished moving in, and by summer I could tell that it was a mistake. Anyway, a few days before I was to sign the deal on the house, I came down with a cold. I had to postpone the final meeting with the realtor because the day I was supposed to meet him, I sounded like death and I couldn't go 5 minutes without blowing my nose. Now I'm selling the house, and my realtor wants to meet tomorrow to discuss the sale, and... I think I'm coming down with a cold. This would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that I'll probably spend all day tomorrow trying not to vomit. Wonderful. This is why I hate planning things in advance, because sometimes I feel like making plans is daring the universe to make me or someone else around me sick that day. Marvelous.
This actually does not sound like a coincidence. More like your subconscious trying to talk to you.
Explore it further. It will be fun.

Trying to figure out what to get my parents for Christmas. I'm honestly starting to panic a little. And by panic I mean feeling overwhelmed, not being able to think clearly or stay focused, etc. Plus I've got projects at work that I want/need to get done, I've got decorating to do at home, I'm selling a house, I'm trying to get together with people (who haven't returned my texts, argh), the list goes on. I've spent a fair amount of money already, and I haven't even finished shopping for one parent. My friend wants me to go computer shopping with him this week, because my computer's getting old, but I think I'm going to tell him I don't want to buy anything else until after Christmas.

And I know there are a lot of people, including some here (Weaver) who have much more serious problems to worry about. And I'm sorry.

It's fair to save money around Christmas and not go computer shopping. Anyone can understand that.
If your parents live together get them something for the house (1 gift instead of 2) - kitchenware/appliances, garden stuff, decorative things (vases, bowls etc.). Or the classic fine liquor, whiskey etc. Some places sell gift baskets with gourmet stuff - wine, olive oil, vinegar, chocolates, sweets, dried fruit etc. New towels, bed sheets, morning robes, slippers? A new table cloth? Books? Electronic stuff, a tablet/iPad, power bank, gadget stuff...

And I know there are a lot of people, including some here (Weaver) who have much more serious problems to worry about. And I'm sorry.
Dude, I’ve only got one parent left alive, so I’ve got it easier than you. I’m also able to communicate with my parent about things related to them which make me worry, so that further reduces my anxiety. Don’t know what makes you think you’re in a better mental state than me in my beleaguered fortress of a country.

Seriously though, it’s not about problems but about how you can manage them. You need to learn how to manage your life or you will continue regulating anxiety with sickness.

@Adorno Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them. I'll find something.

Dude, I’ve only got one parent left alive, so I’ve got it easier than you. I’m also able to communicate with my parent about things related to them which make me worry, so that further reduces my anxiety. Don’t know what makes you think you’re in a better mental state than me in my beleaguered fortress of a country.

Seriously though, it’s not about problems but about how you can manage them. You need to learn how to manage your life or you will continue regulating anxiety with sickness.
Not feeling sick, just stressed. There's just way too much **** to do in the next 10 days, for honestly little reason other than cultural expectations and ingrained traditions passed down through the generations. Believe me, American culture goes wild to portray the Christmas season as "the most wonderful time of the year", from the Andy Williams song of the same name, to It's a Wonderful Life (run endlessly on TV all through December), to the countless garbage Hallmark Christmas romance movies. For some people, it probably is the most wonderful time of the year. For others, it's a stressful pain in the ass. For most people, I'm guessing it's a mix of both.

Hey, I'm not doubting that you're under a lot of pressure. Just really puzzled why you're picking the route that increases anxiety instead of the one that decreases it.
In your situation, I would go to my mother and say that I really want to get her something for christmas but I'm so overwhelmed with the other stuff that I can't come up with something good and am starting to panic. So maybe she could tell me what she would like to have. In this manner, I'd remove this burden from my brain and also get some emotional support from mommy. Why face this problem alone?

In short, cultural expectations and ingrained traditions. Christmas gifts often supposed to be a surprise. Different families probably do it differently. Don't worry, I got this.

Also, I meant to say this earlier: your beleaguered fortress of a country has been very much in my thoughts since before Russia invaded. I'd like to visit Ukraine someday, assuming you guys win. Even in my rural area I've seen quite a few people with Ukrainian flags in their front yards these past two years. You might be surprised how many people are on your side.

Don't worry, I got this.
Mixed signals, mate.
Also, I meant to say this earlier: your beleaguered fortress of a country has been very much in my thoughts since before Russia invaded. I'd like to visit Ukraine someday, assuming you guys win. Even in my rural area I've seen quite a few people with Ukrainian flags in their front yards these past two years. You might be surprised how many people are on your side.
This means a lot. Thank you.
If we don’t win then I guess I’ll be visiting you.

Back
Top Bottom