War Thunder, Update 1.97: Swedish Tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

I love the IAR 80 so that is cool.
However, the matchmaking in war thunder currently is very irritating and making it difficult for me to enjoy realistic air battles. In my fw 190 a-1 at a BR of 3.3, I keep facing planes at a BR between 4.3 and 5.0.
I do wish developers didn't neglect singleplayer and co-op as it's nice to have a detailed mode to play with realistic ww2 missions and not a German side that has 5 p-47 premiums.

AmateurHetman said:
However, the matchmaking in war thunder currently is very irritating and making it difficult for me to enjoy realistic air battles. In my fw 190 a-1 at a BR of 3.3, I keep facing planes at a BR between 4.3 and 5.0.
I do wish developers didn't neglect singleplayer and co-op as it's nice to have a detailed mode to play with realistic ww2 missions and not a German side that has 5 p-47 premiums.
Well, you actually can't be facing anything over 4.3 if you queue in solo at 3.3 (unless they changed this, which I seriously doubt). It's +-1 BR from the plane's BR that you queue with. If you're queuing in a party, it's the highest BR plane being queued +-1.

Fw190s are a pain in the ass to play in arcade and realistic, as the flight model is so forgiving to everyone that a plane's performance isn't really capped by its structural strength, area of control surfaces, temperature management, etc. The Fw190 would be excellent in realistic mode if not all planes could survive pulling out of a steep dive at high Gs (and if German 20mm cannons performed as well as American .50s, but that's another topic). Unfortunately, you can't overspeed your prop in realistic mode. You have to try really, really hard to tear your wings off with high Gs. Your pilot only blacks/reds out under very high sustained Gs and this is telegraphed way before you lose control by an obvious vignette overlay.

The strengths of the Fw190 are weight, strength of the wings, a very stable engine temperature even under sustained WEP, and (at least in theory) powerful armament. Unfortunately the radial engines in early Fw190s just don't have enough oomph to pull such a heavy plane at altitude, and high altitude performance of the 190s is garbage when compared to its American counterpart, the P-47D. Plus, the P-47D can climb with sustained WEP and once it's reached desired altitude can open its cowl flaps to quickly cool the engine. Temperature management was actually a serious issue for P-47Ds historically, but I've only once run it into the red on WarThunder. The only strength that means anything in realistic battles for the Fw190 is its ridiculous roll authority, which can actually be a hindrance in sim because it can make it difficult to aim. :lol:

As someone who almost exclusively flew Fw190s in IL-2 and then in WarThunder, I can tell you it's a finnicky plane but it should be fast and powerful. Compared to WarThunder's P-47D, it's a slow peashooter. I got a 75% discount coupon thingymajig for the captured P-47D and picked it up. It's really night and day when you put it up against the Fw190. I'd love to keep flying the 190s but I can only bring myself to fly the F8--the jankiest of them all, actually--because of its hilarious little anti-tank rockets.

Orion said:
AmateurHetman said:
Well, you actually can't be facing anything over 4.3 if you queue in solo at 3.3 (unless they changed this, which I seriously doubt). It's +-1 BR from the plane's BR that you queue with. If you're queuing in a party, it's the highest BR plane being queued +-1.

Fw190s are a pain in the ass to play in arcade and realistic, as the flight model is so forgiving to everyone that a plane's performance isn't really capped by its structural strength, area of control surfaces, temperature management, etc. The Fw190 would be excellent in realistic mode if not all planes could survive pulling out of a steep dive at high Gs (and if German 20mm cannons performed as well as American .50s, but that's another topic). Unfortunately, you can't overspeed your prop in realistic mode. You have to try really, really hard to tear your wings off with high Gs. Your pilot only blacks/reds out under very high sustained Gs and this is telegraphed way before you lose control by an obvious vignette overlay.

The strengths of the Fw190 are weight, strength of the wings, a very stable engine temperature even under sustained WEP, and (at least in theory) powerful armament. Unfortunately the radial engines in early Fw190s just don't have enough oomph to pull such a heavy plane at altitude, and high altitude performance of the 190s is garbage when compared to its American counterpart, the P-47D. Plus, the P-47D can climb with sustained WEP and once it's reached desired altitude can open its cowl flaps to quickly cool the engine. Temperature management was actually a serious issue for P-47Ds historically, but I've only once run it into the red on WarThunder. The only strength that means anything in realistic battles for the Fw190 is its ridiculous roll authority, which can actually be a hindrance in sim because it can make it difficult to aim. :lol:

As someone who almost exclusively flew Fw190s in IL-2 and then in WarThunder, I can tell you it's a finnicky plane but it should be fast and powerful. Compared to WarThunder's P-47D, it's a slow peashooter. I got a 75% discount coupon thingymajig for the captured P-47D and picked it up. It's really night and day when you put it up against the Fw190. I'd love to keep flying the 190s but I can only bring myself to fly the F8--the jankiest of them all, actually--because of its hilarious little anti-tank rockets.

Which is why I’m switching to il-2 1946 and waiting for a discount for either cliffs of Dover or battle of Stalingrad. My only issue with the new il-2 games is that they have few planes and restrict others to separate purchases.
But even a 3.3 fw 190 has no chance against a 4.3 p-47 which starts in the air in realistic. They’ll always be above me.

P-47s starting in the air is ridiculous, especially considering their higher effective climb rate (with WEP) compared to the 190s. The only way to start in the air in a 190 is to get one tagged as an Interceptor, or the F8 which is tagged as an attacker. IIRC you don't get an Interceptor-tagged 190 until you reach the Ds.

Orion said:
P-47s starting in the air is ridiculous, especially considering their higher effective climb rate (with WEP) compared to the 190s. The only way to start in the air in a 190 is to get one tagged as an Interceptor, or the F8 which is tagged as an attacker. IIRC you don't get an Interceptor-tagged 190 until you reach the Ds.
And as far as I know fw 190s with a payload won't start in the air either.

The F8 does because it's tagged as an Attacker, so it starts at low altitude, in the air, and typically further ahead than bombers & interceptors. If it didn't then you'd have a very hard time filling a ground attack role.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/413330-update-179-project-x-preliminary-notes/

New vehicles:

Ground vehicles:

USA
XM-803
XM-1 (Chrysler)
XM-1 (GM)
T32 (updated model)

Germany
Sd.Kfz.221 (s.Pz.B.41)
Leopard 2A4

USSR
Т-62М-1
Т-64BV (as modification for T-64B)

Great Britain
Mk.VIA AA
Chieftain Marksman
Centurion Mk.5 AVRE
Super Conqueror (as modification for Conqueror)

Japan
Type 90

France
AMX-40

--
Aircraft:

USA
FJ-4B
P-40F-10
P40E-1 (Reworked Model)

Germany
Bf 109 Z
Bf 110 F-2
Bf 110 G-2
Bf 110 C-7 (updated model, clarified modification)

USSR
IL-28Sh

Japan
Ki-32

Italy
IAR-81C
Re.2000 G.A.

France
F4U-7
F-84G-26-RE
LeO 451 late

The Bf 110s looked a little strange to me. And not just due to the lack of antennae.

Meanwhile, this happened: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/414015-developmentvehicle-modification-upgrades

Reading the posts on the WT forum, the players seem unanimously against this. There's a player-made poll up that when I saw it had 600 votes (91% against this feature), but Stona's refusing to take it into consideration, and says he'll ignore feedback from anywhere (including Reddit) that isn't "official channels".

They are not night-fighter variants. The f-2 has a better engine than the c-4 and bigger Bomb load. The g-2 again has a better engine and bomb load again.
The f-4/g-4 variants were the historical night-fighter variants. It’s a shame that the g-2 isn’t a g-4 as that would be more fitting for those 30mm cannons for bomber hunting.

Ps- the f-4 was the first bf 110 purposely built for night-fighting. The g-4 was an improved variant.

Back
Top Bottom