Vlandian Sharpshoorter has his pavise shield. Could he use it as a shield in front of himself?

Users who are viewing this thread

CrazyElf

Sergeant
The Vlandian Sharpshooter has one of the top shields in the game currently, the Pavise Shield.

Could he put the shield in front of him while he is reloading his crossbow? Like the brace, could this be added to the game?

This would make him quite a bit less vulnerable when he is reloading his weapon. The main drawback is that he would be a bit less mobile (having to load and unload the shield each time). It would also help make crossbows more competitive, something they are currently at a drawback on right now.

-----

From a historical standpoint, it looks like Vlandian sharpshooters are based around Genoese crossbows.

Balestriere1.jpg

They were deployed in the ground like so.

Last edited:
The Vlandian Sharpshooter has one of the top shields in the game currently, the Pavise Shield.

Could he put the shield in front of him while he is reloading his crossbow? Like the brace, could this be added to the game?

This would make him quite a bit less vulnerable when he is reloading his weapon. The main drawback is that he would be a bit less mobile (having to load and unload the shield each time). It would also help make crossbows more competitive, something they are currently at a drawback on right now.

Totally agree. The shield already give him a huge disadvantage when it comes to movementspeed. He could be the slowest unit in the game with the shield wich really doesent help that much as it is now.

how about make them turn back when reload, the shields on their back will protect them while they reload

how about make them turn back when reload, the shields on their back will protect them while they reload
If the devs were lazy then maybe, but I'd much rather they did what they actually did in real life. It wouldn't quite be there, but it would so much closer to what they did.

No technically they would need to dig it in first if they all didnt had special montages build in.... but they could turn around while reloading, that would work as Sera said

Totally agree. The shield already give him a huge disadvantage when it comes to movementspeed. He could be the slowest unit in the game with the shield wich really doesent help that much as it is now.
Cant agree. I use their shield to get them in to position and its also good for them to have in cqc battles so that shield is actually useful for them even if they arent using em in crossbow situations

No technically they would need to dig it in first if they all didnt had special montages build in.... but they could turn around while reloading, that would work as Sera said
i think dig shield takes some time which make them slower each time we want to move these guys, turn around make their shields work passivelly as its name

No they could literally lean it on their shoulders like in Midevial Total war or just turn around when reloading.

Singleplayer is another deal totally because you can have an overpowered firepower compared to your enemy but try to kill 14 archers with 6 sharpshooters. You will rarely kill more than 1-2 because when your sharpshooters have shoot two bolts the enemy have shoot something around 4-5 arrows each and they have alot more troops so 14*4-5=56-70 (sometimes more) arrows vs your 6-12 bolts.

But sure if you literally have over 100 sharpshooter you can kill pretty much anything but that has nothing to do with the shiled really, you rarely even have to move that many troops, just have them standing where you start and kill everything coming your way.

This is the only feasible, realistic and non-fantasy solution to apply to "that" shield (because I'm not going to call it pavise, it has nothing to do with it).

Dont forget that Vladian crossbowmen are good at being infantry to as are the Sturgians bowmen but they dont have shields

This is the best solution gameplay-wise i think, just change the reloading animation so that they will turn their backs so the shield will protect them while reloading, simple and effective

But so is Aserai Veterans wich have shields and dont forget Khans guards or Palentine guard with their superior two handed melee weapon wich has insane melee damage and reach.
Yes they all have their troops but even if they have two handers they arent protected against in coming arrows as well as spears and Sturgian bowmen beats Aserai bowmen even if they are in bad tight formation and charging at them on open ground. Not sure now though with the changes but still. Khans guards is another class and not groundtroops...Heck i even seen Sturg archers equally beat Vladian crossbowmen in close combat which was a bit jawdropping..... but i dont count test battles as proof though since its irrelevant because them all have their pros and cons

Aserai yes but smaller shields if i remember them correctly which i should remember since im playing with them now xD

Last edited:
I agree 100%, at the minimum shields on thier back should protect them! I mean you can get a perk for it in the crossbow perk tree, this should apply to your troops as well that have crossbows.

I agree 100%, at the minimum shields on thier back should protect them! I mean you can get a perk for it in the crossbow perk tree, this should apply to your troops as well that have crossbows.
The shields on the back do protect them if they only turned around ^^ think they still take an small hit though but im not sure its only when they got meleed. Think ive heard some arrows going in to the shields on the backs but not sertain what damage it does if any as im not using shields on the back myself for a very long time

No they don't, shields on backs do nothing and shots to the back go right through their shields and kill them like they are not even there. Just loaded a game and shot 5 crossbow guys in the back ( middle of thier shield) no shield sound hit and killed them like nothing.

No they don't, shields on backs do nothing and shots to the back go right through their shields and kill them like they are not even there. Just loaded a game and shot 5 crossbow guys in the back ( middle of thier shield) no shield sound hit and killed them like nothing.
Then you havent hit an guy with an shield on his back yet...i get armor reduction when hitting them there. It still goes thru and dont stop it but it for sure makes a shield sound and i get lesser damage output

Yeah i did and looked at the code and it is disabled unless you have the crossbow tree perk which is a 75% to block damage. Your absolutely wrong on this maybe you are confusing when a troop has a shield on his arm and you hit a shield. Currently shields on backs do nothing.

Yeah i did and looked at the code and it is disabled unless you have the crossbow tree perk which is a 75% to block damage. Your absolutely wrong on this maybe you are confusing when a troop has a shield on his arm and you hit a shield. Currently shields on backs do nothing.
Dissabled!? then i must heard things wrong and seen things...dont think so...Are you sure you have seen the code right and know how to read one ? Sure you have even looked at the right code im talking about ? Please post it so i can have a look which one it is so i know im wrong and it should be from 1-5-4. Im a bit rusty at the language though so i might have to call a friend ^^

Back
Top Bottom