TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Arvenski said:
Why would Iran shoot down a Ukrainian airliner? Unless it was just a mistake made by a trigger-happy gunner...

I would doubt that gunners have such an authority as to decide on whether to launch a rocket or not. There must be rules of engagement and approval from a higher authority for such an action to be undertaken. It all depends on what these rules of engagement say in the Iranian military doctrine and how alert the AA units were during that time, which I assume was set to the highest level. That might partly explain how the decision to fire was taken hastily.
I still cannot wrap my head around how can you target an airliner just taking off from the main airport of your country. They must be used to see that flight path on a regular basis on the radars.

If Google maps is anything to go by, the route, is also more or less directly in line with both a gas power plant*, and the launch facility itself, on the far side of some hills. From what I've seen of its route data, it seemed like it veered just marginally towards both, in its course. Of course, it was on fire for most of the flight.
The guys at the controls were probably jittery for the entire night by that point.

*Above it is about where the internet detectives think the impact happened.

trueten said:

What a wonderful place to put a watermark.

They acknowledged it. Nothing that could be hidden for long anyway.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-crash/iran-says-military-shot-down-ukrainian-passenger-plane-in-error-idUSKCN1ZA04Y

I'm quite surprised that it has proved to be true- so often after such incidents, we are presented with photo or video evidence which later turns out to be of a different country years before. It is hard to know what to believe, especially when one isn't familiar with the suburbs of Tehran (from which the video footage was apparently shot).

It's a sad thing, and I can't help but feel that the US government must bear some responsibility for this. Mind you, I don't know just how necessary or effective it was to kill that Iranian general. I have heard a lot of criticism and debate over the killing, but just what is the consensus over what his activity was in the country (and for that matter, the official Iranian position- or indeed Iraq's!)? Because if he was indeed aiding attacks against America in Iraq, then it seems perverse to be outraged about his death. Whatever the truth of that, without this escalation of tension between the two countries this tragedy surely wouldn't have happened. Of course, without wishing to sound insensitive, it also raises questions over whether the training of Iranian anti-air defence crews or their protocols need to be revised.

Or, if you prefer the version of Polish public tv, 'rally that was supposedly to defend justice turns political as representatives of the opposition join the march', followed by five minutes of 'judicial system in other countries suck more and people protest there for real, but it isn't something European Union wants you to know about' special. And I wish I was actually kidding.

FORUM NEWS

Well ladies, gentlemen and weirdos, the new forums are finally upon us, obviously. Apocalyptic perhaps, but it's not all bad! With a new forum comes new moderators, and for this section that includes Monty! He'll be what's called a subforum moderator in the new structure, which basically means he's the first line of escalation for whatever needs fixing in offtopic.

New Moderation Layout

g9K-l.png

Would be cool if the badges from the forum such as old guard could be displayed in game also, considering there are badges in MP.

Back
Top Bottom