TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Well ladies, gentlemen and weirdos, the new forums are finally upon us, obviously. Apocalyptic perhaps, but it's not all bad!
It only took most of a week, eh? :razz: Seriously, though, I'm glad to see the new forums up and running, though it's going to take me a little while to get used to where stuff is. Congrats to the new mods!

Or, if you prefer the version of Polish public tv, 'rally that was supposedly to defend justice turns political as representatives of the opposition join the march', followed by five minutes of 'judicial system in other countries suck more and people protest there for real, but it isn't something European Union wants you to know about' special. And I wish I was actually kidding.
More circus news:

https://www.dw.com/en/poland-lawmakers-give-green-light-to-judge-muzzle-law/a-52131026

Turkey has no need to be in Western Syria, Russia won't back down as they've come so far supporting Assad. And of course Assad will go full force to get that last bit of land back.

Moscow said Feb. 28 that Russian planes had not carried out strikes in the area, and that Russia did its best to ensure the Syrian army ceased fire to allow the evacuation of the troops. It said, however, that the Turkish soldiers should not have been in the area, where counterterror operations were underway, and Ankara had failed to relay information about their presence in advance.
"Yesterday, a Soviet tractor was peacefully plowing the land at the Soviet-Chinese border, when it was viciously attacked by a Chinese tank. In accordance with the peaceful Soviet foreign policy, the Soviet tractor merely returned fire and peacefully flew back to its base."

Turkish government claimed that the Russia is lying. That the turkish troops were there, where they meant to be and they were not engaging anyone.
On the other hand one friend of mine from turkey (his brother is in syria) stated that the Turkish troopers reported enemy activity on the field, that they were getting surrounded but they were ignored/not answered by Hulisi Akar, Commander. Pity, most of them were 20-24 years old children who were doing their "must-do-military service"

"Yesterday, a Soviet tractor was peacefully plowing the land at the Soviet-Chinese border, when it was viciously attacked by a Chinese tank. In accordance with the peaceful Soviet foreign policy, the Soviet tractor merely returned fire and peacefully flew back to its base."
Yes, that's the classic modus operandi of Russia, but Turkey is also testing the waters quite intensively. I'm calling bull**** on all the military actions in the name of 'human rights' and 'concern for the humanitarian situation in Idlib'. Pretty much every bomb dropped by either side was done purely out of empathy towards the suffering Syrian people.

What's interesting is that the two sides have some very conflicting interests in Syria, but they cannot outright condemn each other directly. Russia already managed to drill a hole in the Turkish-NATO relations by effectively sidelining the USA in Syria and drawing the spheres of influence with Turkey. They have also gladly provided their S-400 system for purely political purposes, which produced further strain in relations between Turkey and NATO countries. Now, it's still not clear to me why Russia chose to escalate the situation so much, because any potential Russian attack would help rapprochment between Turkey and the USA. The determination of Turkey to push the SAA back, while they perfectly understand the risk of being targeted intentionally or accidentally by Russia is also very curious.

:lol:

Theory: This happens a lot with nations that see a sudden increase in wealth without necessarily having developed the institutions and culture that liberal democracies enjoy. Wealth has the intrinsic ability/power to allocate resources and organize people. And where nations don't incrementally develop an intellectual class and the ability to criticize and refine that power of allocating resources and organizing people you will see dumb**** management that leads to ****ty policies (either because they hold on to low-culture values (honour culture) or because experts are disregarded, or, they simply don't exist). So you have really powerful, stupid nations. Going from broke to ultra-rich to the ability where you can influence society because it hasn't developed checks and balances, and without knowing well what to do with your cash is gonna end up with someone hurt. Gulf states are also an example. The increase in wealth needs to match the development of culture, ideally. Like, from what I've heard, Chinese people don't even have a good grasp of why lying is bad. It's so surreal.

Theory: This happens a lot with nations that see a sudden increase in wealth without necessarily having developed the institutions and culture that liberal democracies enjoy.

There's that, but also the impact of the Cultural Revolution and the transition from maoism to authoritarian capitalism which destroyed most societies down to barbarism, and then replaced that with 80s style cocaine capitalism. Chinese city culture is extremely vapid as a result, and the society many people grow up in is practically amoral. My friend's grandmother grew up during the CR and said there were fights in the street every day and people would hoard food and be selfish as a matter of course. Some of this amoral behaviour exists in parts of the Soviet Bloc, but in China it's far worse.
The CCP knows this and is thoroughly embarrassed by the horrible reputation Chinese people have abroad. Social credit, for example, is an attempt to turn the people who are basically traumatised by the CR and other CCP catastrophes into "civilised" citizens.

The reason I think China has so many of these issues compared to somewhere like Russia or Saudi Arabia is that the country doesn't have the same inferiority complex about not being western. The Chinese ruling class still fundamentally views Europe and the US as these foreign idiot powers who don't know what they're on about, far more than the way lots of Americans see the rest of the world as essentially inferior. So in a way they operate outside the world system, not benefiting from or even ignoring world discoveries or decisions until it's too late. Chinese decision-makers would rather damage their own country than appear to be receiving help from the west.

For example the eating of rare animals is fairly recent, but it's based on old Chinese folk wisdoms about eating strong animals to receive their power. The people you're talking about who have a ton of money but are really stupid will accept this stuff far less skeptically because it's Chinese, and "western" medicine is just this foreign thing that is inherently less valid.

Aaah, interesting. It's concerning in how much of a world-players China is, and (evidently) how much harm they can cause on the other side of the ****ing planet as a result thereof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom