SP - General Infantry should have access to deployable stakes to help deter calvary charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

The below is an excerpt from an earlier reply I made concerned with specifically with horse archers and infantry, which can be found here.

I would propose an idea to help infantry troops (both melee and archer) deal with both horse archers and calvary in general. The effectiveness of spears and pikes against calvary is something that has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum, so I won't delve into that specifically, but suffice it to say that not only am I wholeheartedly for these ideas, I think they should be taken a step further. Wooden spikes, pounded into the ground, were an anti-calvary weapon used all around the world at multiple times throughout history to stop calvary charges from destroying infantry. While they would indeed deal massive, almost universally fatal damage to a charging horse, their real use was stopping horses from charging into them in the first place.

A horse is not stupid. It is fully aware that if it runs full speed into a wall of spikes, it will die. As a result, a horse would, upon realizing the danger ahead, do it's best to come to a complete stop instantly. You can imagine the affect this had on the horses rider. This effect applies to spears and lances as well. That said, I think the ability for infantry troops to be able to deploy stakes to prevent horse charges would not only massively balance infantry v calvary in general, but would also be an incredibly interesting improvement to battle strategy as a whole.

Obviously, I would personally love to see a system like this implemented, but I'm curious what you all think about something like this?

Many a people desire deployable defenses for troops, as you have stated for infantry/ archers vs cavalry, and noted in other posts, for crossbowmen with their massive shields.
I plus +1 this idea wholeheartedly, but struggle to see how a fair system can be implemented so the AI can also make effective use of it.

I am getting sick of fights with Khuzaits and their horses, but changing soldier upgrades to both archer and pikemen have putting them into a circle or square formation been an effective countermeasure, as if a pikeman proceeds to 'lance' a horse, it stops its charge dead in its tracks.

Regards.
Unit_3397

Back
Top Bottom