SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Piédalf said:
xrogaan said:
The reach has a good position, right next to their target. Might explain why they have an advantage.

2 / 7 > I'm a mercenary, meaning the kingdom usually pay for the men. I raid the same villages and I have some business a bit everywhere.

8 > you could try to declare war against the reach?

The major problem is that the Reach and the Stormlands have different commanders, and they can launch attacks everywhere, torring apart the Stormlands. This problem could be fixed if they were only one faction instead of two.

I suppose the factions' behaviour is intended - it is exactly what was supposed to happen in the books/show IF the Stormlands and the Reach were to unite through Renly-Margery marriage.

And since you, the Player, are the protagonist of the game's story - it is up to you to change (or not change) this. There are sufficient means to help the Westerlands provided by the game's mechanics.

Sergio_Morozov said:
Piédalf said:
xrogaan said:
The reach has a good position, right next to their target. Might explain why they have an advantage.

2 / 7 > I'm a mercenary, meaning the kingdom usually pay for the men. I raid the same villages and I have some business a bit everywhere.

8 > you could try to declare war against the reach?

The major problem is that the Reach and the Stormlands have different commanders, and they can launch attacks everywhere, torring apart the Stormlands. This problem could be fixed if they were only one faction instead of two.

I suppose the factions' behaviour is intended - it is exactly what was supposed to happen in the books/show IF the Stormlands and the Reach were to unite through Renly-Margery marriage.

And since you, the Player, are the protagonist of the game's story - it is up to you to change (or not change) this. There are sufficient means to help the Westerlands provided by the game's mechanics.

I guess you have a point. You can also divert the Reach by making Dragonstone a bigger threat (by accomplishing the Crowned Stag quest).

Furthermore, if the Reach stoped warring against the Westerlands, the game might become boring.

I have an idea for a playthrough: First, pretend helping the Westerlands by getting back western territory from the Reach, taking some castles for yourself, then when Aegon shows up, just rebel and conquer all the eastern Westerlands and make yourself the king of the Roc. It would be even better if you play as a Reyne in disguise, then you show you're a red lion after betraying the Lannisters. After, you can try retrieving the sword Red Rain.

Hello everyone !

I came upon a problem during the quest "The Night's Watch". After finishing it my game crashed just before a battle. Unfortunately my last save was during the quest (I know it was stupid of me  :facepalm: ). Now the quest npc's don't appear in Castle Black courtyard. I'm now stuck in this quest unable to finish it.

I haven't found any solution, most of the discussions about this topic I came across being dead. In the few answers I gathered it seems there is no way to solve this problem. However I ask one last time if there is a way to trigger the events at the end of this quest (which interest me more than the experience gained) ?

Thanks for the upcoming replies  :smile:

Here is a guide for people who want to be powerful very fast, while making a realistic playthrough :

Make a character that have 14-15 strength from the beginning.

Join a lord from the Riverlands or the Reach as a retinue, then ask for a personal leave, and go to village elder or guild masters for experience, then go back to your lord and wait for a promotion. That way you should get promoted very fast, with no need for you to go to battle. It might be an exploit, but it appears the xp gained during your leave is counted for your promotion. You can also get xp by slaying foes while on the leave...
Repeat the operation until you get promoted to elite infantry/mounted sergeant. Then you can start making high reward quests while on the leave, like the Tourney of Ninesars, and get promoted to knight, or "the knights of the mind". To get promoted to heavy knight, you can make the quest "Beyond the wall" which is worth 5000 xp. The Reach and the Riverlands are an important choice, because as a heavy knight from these factions you will get some of the best armor in the game ("full plate armor") and the best horse (barded destrier). The Westerlands h.k. have decent armors but lack of nice horses.

You should consider joining a strong lord if you don't want to be captured, the problem being you can't always go on a personal leave. I advise joining Lord Edmure Tully (faction leader of the Riverlands) because he has a lot of troops and he uses to be on Fairmarket, so you can enter stationed town, and because he will attack some robber knights on the occasion. For the same reasons, you may want to serve the lord of Tumbleton (there is bandits to kill around this area).
If your lord is becoming too week because of the battles, just wait until you're promoted then dismiss and join an other lord from the same faction, then you will keep your rank.

As you level up, it is important to raise your strength up to 20 and agility to 9 or 12 to get the "riding" skill to 3 or 4, because as you get promoted, you will need strength and riding skill to wear the armor and ride the horse (full plate needs 20 str and destrier 3 or 4 riding skill).

I you don't like the gear you get from a promotion, just dismiss ad rejoin, then you may get a better equipment (there is a roll in the pool each unit has access).
If you want to leave definitely, just pull your equipment in a companion's inventory then leave, or you can just desert if you don't mind the relation loss. For my part, I consider the armor set a just reward, after coming back from the "Beyond the Wall" mission.

For the quest "the crowned stag" I also found an easy and safe-ish way to capture Renly, provided that he already had been defeated:when he respawns in Storm's end, wait until he gets about 75 soldiers, and besiege the castle with a smaller, but stronger band. He should attack you after some moment.

The biggest problem is when a vassal come after you, that's why it is advised to wait the Stormlands to be in a military campaign.

I know that Cozur will likely not listen, answer and probably be rude as always, but I've got my head around and back to play ACOK again and there are some things that are amiss/off.

First of all, valyrian sword acquired through quests, why on earth would I want length variations for one-handed swords? Wouldn't it make more sense to give a 2h, a longsword (bastard sword) and a one-hander as options instead? Currently assessing the best Two-Handers can only be done in gamey ways, one is less gamey which's to go for the non-valyrian Dawn, the other option is to steal Tarly's sword which isn't something every character would be agreeable upon (RPing purposes and all). Or one can always blatantly cheat to get Blackfyre instead...

Second thing that is off is the whole event spam, I know they are interesting, the first time around, which are also annoying at such stage with all the nonsensical permanent punishments they give, specially considering there's no way to get attributes back once said events happen resulting in obvious and forced save scumming...

Third is the fact that the Iron Bank should also give loans. As it is it doesn't work as it's mostly shown in both the books and the show... Floris, Diplomacy (if I'm not mistaken) and the other GoT mod all have the loan system, would be nice to see it in ACOK too..

Other than those points the mod has certainly improved, I'd adjust the troop-trees to have noble troops and peasant troops, make a few changes here and there, but essentially it's working great... Some new meshes are cool, some are not (the whole new tournament armors are far too hard to spot, so it's difficult to know who's in each team tbh). There are some shader glitches on shields, but then again those are bound to get fixed at one point.

So far those are the only things I can give a say since I didn't went too far in the mod as of yet...

xdj1nn said:
I know that Cozur will likely not listen, answer and probably be rude as always, but I've got my head around and back to play ACOK again and there are some things that are amiss/off.

First of all, valyrian sword acquired through quests, why on earth would I want length variations for one-handed swords? Wouldn't it make more sense to give a 2h, a longsword (bastard sword) and a one-hander as options instead? Currently assessing the best Two-Handers can only be done in gamey ways, one is less gamey which's to go for the non-valyrian Dawn, the other option is to steal Tarly's sword which isn't something every character would be agreeable upon (RPing purposes and all). Or one can always blatantly cheat to get Blackfyre instead...

Second thing that is off is the whole event spam, I know they are interesting, the first time around, which are also annoying at such stage with all the nonsensical permanent punishments they give, specially considering there's no way to get attributes back once said events happen resulting in obvious and forced save scumming...

Third is the fact that the Iron Bank should also give loans. As it is it doesn't work as it's mostly shown in both the books and the show... Floris, Diplomacy (if I'm not mistaken) and the other GoT mod all have the loan system, would be nice to see it in ACOK too..

Other than those points the mod has certainly improved, I'd adjust the troop-trees to have noble troops and peasant troops, make a few changes here and there, but essentially it's working great... Some new meshes are cool, some are not (the whole new tournament armors are far too hard to spot, so it's difficult to know who's in each team tbh). There are some shader glitches on shields, but then again those are bound to get fixed at one point.

So far those are the only things I can give a say since I didn't went too far in the mod as of yet...

If you choose the sword "Windsong" you will get 93 length, witch is not that small... But I agree, with 4 daggers you may get a proper long sword. For events, only one ends up making you loose 1 attribute for sure, and three may let you gain one.

Piédalf said:
xdj1nn said:

If you choose the sword "Windsong" you will get 93 length, witch is not that small... But I agree, with 4 daggers you may get a proper long sword. For events, only one ends up making you loose 1 attribute for sure, and three may let you gain one.

Yeah I know, these events have been in ACOK since forever, so it's old news. What I'd suggest, in a serious note, would be to give opportunities for players to gain both Agi and STR through controllable actions like quests and maybe some activities!? As it stands the default character sheet from the beginning has a serious disadvantage when compared by level with AI units. Even bandits have more stats overall, so the player is kind of gimped from start, then there are the events that can catch you either unaware or distracted, nuking your already weaker attributes into oblivion... A while back there was a guy who posted somewhere about how hi got wrecked regarding attributes on "ironman" (where you can't quit without saving). He had to restart due to that (I think the total possible loss of attributes is around 5 str and 5 agi, if not more) Now imagine how craptastic your PC becomes if you get all the debuffs! hahahaha

PS: And I don't mean it that ACOK is harsh, it's just handicapping the player for no reason, AWOIAF is a billion times worse, in fact that mod causes serious aversion if you are not into masochistic gaming mechanics. The only advantage AWOIAF has is that it includes some valyrian weapons that are not present in ACOK, there's the whole White Walker being immune to anything but glass and valyrian steel (which's imo an addition), the Iron Bank loan system (that I've mentioned before) and ships, other than that it's practically a waste of time, specially Attribute-Wise. (and hideous character appearance choices) Oh, and there's the diplomatic locks plus the crafting inherited from VC (which's the base for that mod). I mean, AWOIAF's appealing features are silly, if ACOK was to be upgraded into VC workframe it'd destroy AWOIAF in every single aspect of it.

Ok, sorry about double posting, but I want to make myself heard.

I've got tired of waiting for a reply, so I've decided to take matters upon my own hand and I'm slowly developing a submod for ACOK to include more Valyrian Weapons, I also plan to change the 3 "craftable" ones through the quest to provide the options of a Two-Hander, Bastard Sword or One-Handed. All will be appropriately balanced, the Bastard Version being medium length, one-handed less than 100 in length and the Great Sword being akin to the size of Heartsbane. I'll use outside/imported resources to do so, and I'll share everything in Google Drive once it's done. The names of the 3 swords will be kept the same for the sake of having less trouble doing it.

I've already successfully imported AWOIAF's Valyrian Swords into ACOK, and I'll appropriately add them to the respective NPCs, the only trouble being Jon Snow, which I guess I'll have to add the weapon to Mormont so when the switch occurs it's with Jon Snow, when I get around of editing the Troops I'll see what can be done, but it may not be possible to avoid giving the sword to Mormont...

When everything is said and done, I'll start doing the same with missing armors and other items that I deem too important to be left out of ACOK. In fact, the main reason I'm doing this is because AWOIAF at this point has the best resources between the two mods (graphically speaking). I'm also adding some custom banners for myself, when I get some in-game screenshots I'll post it here, if there's interest I'll include them.

If I get inspired enough I'll start fixing the Troop Trees too, adding more depth and logic to them. (IE: Reach upgrades a Mounted Sergeant into Knight, instead of having a Unmounted Squire -> Mounted Squire and then Knight, I'll fix these nonsensical trees appropriately)

Peace

xdj1nn said:
Ok, sorry about double posting, but I want to make myself heard.

I've got tired of waiting for a reply, so I've decided to take matters upon my own hand and I'm slowly developing a submod for ACOK to include more Valyrian Weapons, I also plan to change the 3 "craftable" ones through the quest to provide the options of a Two-Hander, Bastard Sword or One-Handed. All will be appropriately balanced, the Bastard Version being medium length, one-handed less than 100 in length and the Great Sword being akin to the size of Heartsbane. I'll use outside/imported resources to do so, and I'll share everything in Google Drive once it's done. The names of the 3 swords will be kept the same for the sake of having less trouble doing it.

I've already successfully imported AWOIAF's Valyrian Swords into ACOK, and I'll appropriately add them to the respective NPCs, the only trouble being Jon Snow, which I guess I'll have to add the weapon to Mormont so when the switch occurs it's with Jon Snow, when I get around of editing the Troops I'll see what can be done, but it may not be possible to avoid giving the sword to Mormont...

When everything is said and done, I'll start doing the same with missing armors and other items that I deem too important to be left out of ACOK. In fact, the main reason I'm doing this is because AWOIAF at this point has the best resources between the two mods (graphically speaking). I'm also adding some custom banners for myself, when I get some in-game screenshots I'll post it here, if there's interest I'll include them.

If I get inspired enough I'll start fixing the Troop Trees too, adding more depth and logic to them. (IE: Reach upgrades a Mounted Sergeant into Knight, instead of having a Unmounted Squire -> Mounted Squire and then Knight, I'll fix these nonsensical trees appropriately)

Peace

Nice. Remember Mormont gave the sword to Jon before they went beyond the wall, so you might give him the sword.

TAEHSAEN said:
Good work man. I wish Cozur would take community help. This mod would be a 100% better. Is there any way to contact Cozur directly? Why not just take take help from the community and release the final version of Clash of Kings 7.0?
I don't know how "direct" you're talking about, but there's always the forum's message system and Twitter. This is just my personal take, but working in a team of anons is a hassle. Even in a proper company, keeping a team to work well requires a lot of work by itself. Communication, documentation, integration, etc. Also, in the case of modding, nobody is obligated to do work, because they're not paid, so you can't really rely on them.

People who complain about Cozur's attitude need to understand that this mod requires a lot of work, and he's doing it for free. As a developer, I find requests and suggestions (when you're not asking for one) to be pretty annoying, because developers already have their own visions and a list of what to do. It's possible that Cozur feels the same way, so cut the guy some slack.

Grank said:
TAEHSAEN said:
Good work man. I wish Cozur would take community help. This mod would be a 100% better. Is there any way to contact Cozur directly? Why not just take take help from the community and release the final version of Clash of Kings 7.0?
I don't know how "direct" you're talking about, but there's always the forum's message system and Twitter. This is just my personal take, but working in a team of anons is a hassle. Even in a proper company, keeping a team to work well requires a lot of work by itself. Communication, documentation, integration, etc. Also, in the case of modding, nobody is obligated to do work, because they're not paid, so you can't really rely on them.

People who complain about Cozur's attitude need to understand that this mod requires a lot of work, and he's doing it for free. As a developer, I find requests and suggestions (when you're not asking for one) to be pretty annoying, because developers already have their own visions and a list of what to do. It's possible that Cozur feels the same way, so cut the guy some slack.
Even though that may be the case for some, when you are not all that good at game design, there's a lot to be desired on your "envisioned" version of something. I've discussed the matter in another topic in another sub-forum here and it all comes down to being an able Game Design visionary or not. When not you cannot enclose yourself in your own shelf and do everything yourself, or it's bound to fail on one or multiple aspects, but worse is that actual visionaries have the innate notion that doing anything alone is bound to be sub-par and limited, in a way that visionaries rarely / never do things alone, they always bring in external help because they know it's a must.

What destroyed Cozur's image, though, wasn't this specifically, but how he treated competition in MODDB in the past, how he would censor any sort of criticism towards his "vision" for ACOK, and how he blatantly ignores community and feedback. All of those clearly showing that the person behind the nikcname's an arrogant narcissist, so there's that buddy... That's why there's so much hate towards him, but by this point many don't even know how it all started and assume things that are not entirely true... Here in the TW forums there are plenty of "megalomaniac" developers, and most are not hated as Cozur, because they are not narcissists nor are they unpleasant and disrespectful towards their player-base.

The whole shbang of "he did this did that for free" is entirely out of question once you put yourself in public and publish something under your wing. That's a choice, once you've made it you have to deal with the sub-community that will form under your project, and how you deal with said community is important and an obligation, one that doesn't involve money, but none-the-less just as important. Saying otherwise is childish, but regardless, no one will stop you from being infantile...

Now, you may argue that he has lasted this long so he must be doing something right? Right? Nope... The thing is that he run his mod without competition for years, and luckily for him the only other guy (produno) who decided to do an GoT mod for M&B is just as narrow-minded as he is (I'd say even more narrow-minded, but that might be an over-statement), but with a much less developed project, so in terms Cozur has got no competition and that's what allows him to keep the project alive in terms of public. If anyone better than those two decides to join the wagon and delivers something more community friendly, both AWOIAF and ACOK would become deserted...  :roll:
In other words, the guy feeds on the TV Show's and Book's popularity, not personal talent, good "vision" nor a good project... But I must admit that v3.0 for ACOK comes pretty close to it's peak in terms of quality, but still leaves a lot to desire...

EDIT: By the way, I've forgot to give the honorable mention that Cozur always manages to fix some things and break some other at each patch (and I'm not talking about bugs, but removal/addition of features), sometimes it gives me the impression that he does that on purpose just so he doesn't budge.

BNS Marko said:
Let's move on from discussing mod author psychology to discussing the mod.
I was just being sincere and giving light on the subject, it's been years since I've personally felt offended or have had any sort of feelings towards Cozur, if telling the truth is reprehensible, well...  :roll:
Remember that people's actions and how accountable they are about said actions isn't an offense, but if it must be then the one offending the person is the person itself, not the ones who simply point that out, am I wrong?

xdj1nn said:
Even though that may be the case for some, when you are not all that good at game design, there's a lot to be desired on your "envisioned" version of something. I've discussed the matter in another topic in another sub-forum here and it all comes down to being an able Game Design visionary or not. When not you cannot enclose yourself in your own shelf and do everything yourself, or it's bound to fail on one or multiple aspects, but worse is that actual visionaries have the innate notion that doing anything alone is bound to be sub-par and limited, in a way that visionaries rarely / never do things alone, they always bring in external help because they know it's a must.

Have you seriously played this mod though? It is one of the most beautifully designed mods out there with so many aspects of lore from GoT implemented into the game. Saying that this is a poor mod by any standards is outright missinformation. ACOK is easily one of the best mods ever made for M&B and could've been way better if Cozur cared about collaboration.

This is just what he and people like him do on this thread, they fanatically insult Cozur and jerk themselves off about how much they hate him rather than participating in any meaningful discussion whatsoever.

TAEHSAEN said:
xdj1nn said:

Have you seriously played this mod though? It is one of the most beautifully designed mods out there with so many aspects of lore from GoT implemented into the game. Saying that this is a poor mod by any standards is outright missinformation. ACOK is easily one of the best mods ever made for M&B and could've been way better if Cozur cared about collaboration.

Yes, lorewise it's good, I agree, but it's not perfect and it lacks too much when compared to other classic mods for WB, but then again you are trying to discuss tastes when all I was about was doing "technical" criticism, pointing out stuff that goes beyond tastes and ideas, missing features, missing pieces of the puzzle, missing assets... For one, a pretty simple flaw, are the valyrian blades, which are completely off regarding both books descriptions and the TV Show, the assets used for them are generic, and lack any resemblance to both. But that's just one thing, there are more stuff that goes off the lore, stuff that doesn't make much sense gameplay wise, etc...
Latest criticism for the last patch revolves around the removal of troop-trees, there's old criticism regarding removal of quests, change on quest rewards, etc...

Evvv said:
This is just what he and people like him do on this thread, they fanatically insult Cozur and jerk themselves off about how much they hate him rather than participating in any meaningful discussion whatsoever.

Right, that's why I have a serious post treating on the Mod itself about 10 replies ago, because all I do is cast hate towards Cozur for no reason  :facepalm:  :roll:
Honestly I don't give an f about him, nor do I care about people's opinion about him, I have some very well backed criticism about the mod, and I know all of it's flaws back-and-forth for more than 5 years... I mean, I was around when this was first released, and it has always carried flaws, and Cozur himself did what he did on both Moddb and here to some extent (here less due to the fact that he has no control here).

Anyway, want to white-knight the guy, go right ahead, I am not about to start a discussion about him, what earned me the warning was simply pointing out what I know for facts, and no matter what you say, facts are not changed by third party words...  :wink:

There's no need for unpleasant remarks when you're giving suggestions to somebody. If you cared for the project, you should just point out your points without baiting hostilities from any party, because doing that will only make them listen to you less. That's how professionals do it. They're aware of their positions and goals, and act accordingly.

Of course, none of us, including Cozur, are professionals in this case (in the sense that it's not your job to be involved) as this is a free to play mod. You said the mod being free has nothing to do with it. It super does. Projects take time, effort and investment. That's why people are paid to do jobs. To give them obligation to work, while they could have spent their time to do other things like resting, getting entertainment or hang out with friends and family members. It's to force them to deal with unpleasant things like rude costumers or time-consuming suggestions.

That's what I was trying to point out with my previous post. Consider each other's feelings when interacting with other human beings. Cozur might find suggestions annoying, like I do, so try to be nice about it. It applies to other mods too. Realize that being unpleasant is not beneficial to the discussion.

A modder who treats and approaches his community like garbage  only deserves to be approached and talked to as such, in my own opinion anyway. Don't go on about your self righteous crusade and tell xdj1nn how to approach a modder who is like that. He brought it all upon himself, and the community will treat him according to their own volition.

Besides, he is here to give constructive criticism, and knowing Cozur's antics for as long as I did, his bizzare decisions and the neglect of his own mod are inseparable from his own personality. It is no case of ad hominem.

Don't enforce some bizzare and arbitrary idea of respect. He is being civil enough about it, if you don't like it suck it up. There is no need to bring in the moderators to enforce things such as due respect.

I'm sorry for the off topic, I won't delve into it any deeper, but the sheer hypocrisy of some of you here, together with how this thread is policed is not something I agree with. You invent arbitrary boundaries of respect that have nothing to do with the forum rules and expect others to follow them.

Wrong. There's no enforcing arbitrary ideas of respect here. It's very simple, talk about the mod features, mechanics and present your argumentation. Do it without derogatory remarks to the mod author, his motives, beliefs etc. That's just not necessary and at the end of the day can't be established by anyone other than the mod author.

We can have a discussion all day long about the mechanics of a specific mod if you want, and can argument it properly. This still doesn't guarantee or warrant any response from mod developers mind you.

I posted already asking you to refrain from this behaviour, let's give everyone some cool down time now and stop clogging up this thread for people who want to discuss the actual mod.

Back
Top Bottom