SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Agrippa91 said:
Tips for making money: Buy iron at Dragonstone and the neighbor island city or Lannisport and its neighboring city. It's like ~60 for "tempered iron" which is the best iron you can possibly get. You can sell it at a lot of places, even nearby (visit multiple places since the prices go down for every iron you sell in a town), but in average you should get at least 700 denars for each "tempered iron" and still enough for the other iron.
Buying lands is only a recommendation for the late game when you know for sure that you will stay at a certain place.
For the time you are a sellsword/soldier I would recommend buying velvet productive enterprises all over the world. Though they give you less than they initially think they get (like 400 instead of 800 every week) it's still a viable option...

Btw a question: Can I sell lands? Because it always tells me the sell price, but I never actually see any option for selling...

Actually you can. Took me a while to find out where to do it as well.

Simply click on the "headline" that says you can buy lands. It alters to selling! Only works of course if you own any lands in that city at all.

Winddancer said:
Agrippa91 said:
Tips for making money: Buy iron at Dragonstone and the neighbor island city or Lannisport and its neighboring city. It's like ~60 for "tempered iron" which is the best iron you can possibly get. You can sell it at a lot of places, even nearby (visit multiple places since the prices go down for every iron you sell in a town), but in average you should get at least 700 denars for each "tempered iron" and still enough for the other iron.
Buying lands is only a recommendation for the late game when you know for sure that you will stay at a certain place.
For the time you are a sellsword/soldier I would recommend buying velvet productive enterprises all over the world. Though they give you less than they initially think they get (like 400 instead of 800 every week) it's still a viable option...

Btw a question: Can I sell lands? Because it always tells me the sell price, but I never actually see any option for selling...

Actually you can. Took me a while to find out where to do it as well.

Simply click on the "headline" that says you can buy lands. It alters to selling! Only works of course if you own any lands in that city at all.

Oh, awesome!
Thx, now I don't have to travel around but can just buy up the 5000 acres in my main city (I already have 750:grin:)

Making money....

I usually do my round between Dragonstone and Dorne.

I check all the Dornish villages. They sell dye and dates for a piece of cake, around 20 to 30 silver. I alos buy any salt thats offered for less than 100 silver. In the Dornish cities, you can also buy ale quite cheap, exquisite ale is around 50 silver, the lordly and strong one around 30 to 40.

I head north towards Dragonstone and that other Dragonstone city on an island, sell my stuff there and buy iron and tools and head back again.

Furs you can get cheaply in the vale and eastern parts of the North. Also, raw silk at below 100 silver you can also find in the villages in the North.

Sometimes you can even just take the stuff from a village and sell it to the nearest city.
Depends on how much you want to make in which time. You can also just buy and sell foods.... Buy food cheaply in the villages and sell for coins in the city. chicken and pork you buy at around 30 silver and sell at around 100 to 120. No much, but hey, sometimes every little counts.

Once you managed to get a decent set of armour and know how to fight in a tourney, tourneys are a great way to make money. Its usually around 10.000 silvers if you get a decent streak. But requires good weapons and armours, so nothing to start out with, at least not for me.
Hope that helped.

OakenRivers said:
Finje said:
KidStein said:
Not all Knights are noble-born. And if you're not noble-born, you most likely weren't raised and trained to be a knight. And yes, Sandor was not a knight. But only because he refused knighthood. And on average, the Knights of Westeros couldn't compare to Sandor, Jaime, Barristan etc etc.

Many good fighters aren't knights, while others are knights and fight like a child with a f***ing cheeseknife. Bronn wasn't a knight for a long time (until the Battle of the Blackwater) but he killed many knights.

You are not going to be a Knight just by raise in the most cases. Of course, it could happen (Bronn), but as a Knight you need lands, people and a lot of money. A guy raised to a knight just because he is a good fighter, has nothing in common with a real knight except of the name. Real knights are knights because they where raised for this job. A knight isn't equal with a good fighter of course, there are such things as housholdknights, siting around at court und attenting the king and such things.

A true knight has his knighthood bequethed upon him BECAUSE he was a good fighter. They are in exsitance to protect. Defend the weak. Defend the king. Fight his wars. Blah Blah Blah. That being said, not all knights are equal. They're purpose (as it was in said mediveal era) was soley based upon prowess in combat. Hence why lords gave knights land, small plots. To defend in, in the case of invasion. Defend the people. Defend the crops. Defend the riches.

Pretty much. The reason Westeros HAS so many knights is because so many are raised and trained to be knights their whole life. Either because they're highborn or they live with a noble family or some other political reason. It's why most of Renly's men were called the "Knights of Summer." Basically saying they are young highborn boys who aren't -really- proven in battle.

And the reason why the rest of Westeros has so many knights, is the reason why the North -doesn't-. Northern boys aren't raised for knighthood, as most follow the Old Gods and not the Seven. Not to say they don't have men equal to or comparable to the Knights of Westeros up north. It's simply the title that separates the two.

ThaneWulfgharn said:
OakenRivers said:
A true knight has his knighthood bequethed upon him BECAUSE he was a good fighter. They are in exsitance to protect. Defend the weak. Defend the king. Fight his wars. Blah Blah Blah. That being said, not all knights are equal. They're purpose (as it was in said mediveal era) was soley based upon prowess in combat. Hence why lords gave knights land, small plots. To defend in, in the case of invasion. Defend the people. Defend the crops. Defend the riches.

Gregor Clegane is a superior fighter to 90% of westerosi warriors, knights or not. Anyway, his behaviour is all but Chivalric...

Grabbed that statement out of thin air, didn't you Thane?

On money making also:

Try not to be a Stormlands vassal, they're at war with both factions that have cheap iron. Go to either Dragonstone+Driftmark or Lannisport+Kayce+Golden Tooth. You can start off by buying iron and tools there and selling them in Maidenpool+Duskendale+Saltpans or Riverrun+Fairmarket+Stoney Sept. Once you have some more money, it gets easier - Go to a guild master in some of the towns with cheap iron, ask to buy a productive enterprise. Choose ironworks, making tools. When it starts working (after 7 days), go there and tell the guy you want to be storing tools. Then just go there once a month or so and take all the tools from all your ironworks and go around towns to see who needs tools. Don't sell more than 2-3 in one town, as they become more supplied the prices drop. I would advice you to take the tour from near towns towards Reach, always good money in Reach!

Just my ideas, hope it helps :smile:

Cozur said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
OakenRivers said:

Gregor Clegane is a superior fighter to 90% of westerosi warriors, knights or not. Anyway, his behaviour is all but Chivalric...

Well, honestly he's propably superior to more than 99% of the "westerosi warriors" depending on how you define those (knights? common soldiers?)

Agrippa91 said:
Cozur said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
OakenRivers said:

Well, honestly he's probably superior to more than 99% of the "westerosi warriors" depending on how you define those (knights? common soldiers?)

I thought knights in general were better fighters because training is part of their daily regime something they do as a sport in a way. Since the bulk of kingdoms army's are conscripts or called to arms (volunteers), only those who are part of the small standing army as regulars and garrisons have training/drills daily or at least constant. This is just what I thought not sure if am correct though.

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to make your faction (where you're a vassal) declare war on another faction? I know I can't raid their villages, I can't make Mace Tyrell (I'm a vassal of the Reach) make declare war on any other faction and my renown is now pretty high, so is my pursuasion and my relationship with mace is 10.

If anyone did convince their king/liege to declare war, please tell me how, I really don't like Dorne and Vale going Switzerland all the time :sad:

Agrippa91 said:
Cozur said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
OakenRivers said:

Well, honestly he's propably superior to more than 99% of the "westerosi warriors" depending on how you define those (knights? common soldiers?)

Gregor Clegane is a MASSIVE man. But we've SEEN him get beaten by a faster and smarter fighter. Sure,
The Red Viper
is one of the best, but I'd have to imagine it isn't difficult to outsmart him and tire Gregor out. The only other time we've actually seen him fight is by jousting, which doesn't really show off your fighting prowess. We see characters TALK about how dangerous/scary/powerful he is, but that's because he's almost EIGHT feet tall! :razz:

If I might add my tuppence --

Knights were superior fighters largely because they wore heavy armour, and had the strength, stamina, training and heavy horses to support it.  Put aside the irrelevance of single combat for a moment, and remember that a battlefield is a chaotic, deadly environment with attacks coming in from multiple directions amidst the shoving and jostling, while missiles rain down unseen.

In such a place, mounted knights are literally like armoured fighting vehicles: the Kings of Battle.  They are, of course, more vulnerable on foot, unless defending.  But in general, knights represent a trained class of heavily armoured, highly skilled mounted warriors, each one representing a fortune invested.  Such troops require substantial holdings to maintain, or a lot of gold.

Ithilien5 said:
Agrippa91 said:
Cozur said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
OakenRivers said:

Well, honestly he's probably superior to more than 99% of the "westerosi warriors" depending on how you define those (knights? common soldiers?)

Gregor Clegane is suprior to all fighters in westoros so far as the books revealed thus far. Shy of a Giant perhapse, or posibly a dragon. The mountain may only be matched by his brother, the hound (as he did beat him in the hands tourney), but even that could go either way.

FeralCrazed said:
I thought knights in general were better fighters because training is part of their daily regime something they do as a sport in a way. Since the bulk of kingdoms army's are conscripts or called to arms (volunteers), only those who are part of the small standing army as regulars and garrisons have training/drills daily or at least constant. This is just what I thought not sure if am correct though.

Well in actual medieval times you had, few maybe 10, warriors at each fief srving as warband for the owner of the fief so when the liege calls you bring your "profesionals" alongside your peasants. Thing is that those proffesionals didn't really have to trin all the time since they weren't supervised and they were usually end up drunk moust of the time...

Hey guys, sorry to pop in unannounced, but this here is a very rad mod. It has it's several bugs, but it's still in beta so I assume that's being dealt with. So I saw the unit tree and The Vale's cavalry looks pretty cool, especially because of it's wings. Ingame, I recruited a fair amount of Vale Levies and began training them, but after they became Veteran Vale Spearman, I can not upgrade them to Vale Horseman. Instead, the unit-upgrades just go towards the Vale Swordsman. Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Gregor Clegane is suprior to all fighters in westoros so far as the books revealed thus far. Shy of a Giant perhapse, or posibly a dragon. The mountain may only be matched by his brother, the hound (as he did beat him in the hands tourney), but even that could go either way.

You're forgetting the fact that what the books revealed, is other characters' OPINIONS. He is eight feet tall just about. His strength, armor, and overall SIZE is what makes him so dangerous. No where has it been said he was very SKILLED though. In a battle, yes, Gregor would be at his best then. In the chaos he could just hack and slash, or ride people down. But that does NOT make him superior to all of the fighters in Westeros. Personally, I view Gregor as similar to Strong Belwas. Size and Strength advantage. Yes, they are skilled and dangerous, but their strengths can be HUGE weaknesses when fighting one person. Not the perfect comparison, but Belwas is one of the few larger people we've seen fight.

And you're forgetting the fact that...
Gregor has already been BEATEN by someone other than his brother.

SolidXerm said:
Hey guys, sorry to pop in unannounced, but this here is a very rad mod. It has it's several bugs, but it's still in beta so I assume that's being dealt with. So I saw the unit tree and The Vale's cavalry looks pretty cool, especially because of it's wings. Ingame, I recruited a fair amount of Vale Levies and began training them, but after they became Veteran Vale Spearman, I can not upgrade them to Vale Horseman. Instead, the unit-upgrades just go towards the Vale Swordsman. Any idea what am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure you get horsemen (sergeants) after the swordsmen since the Vale seems to have a very equal tech tree to the Stormlands. Just upgrade one of your Elite Spearmen to "Swordsmen" and look what the next upgrade is. If it's "sergeant" you're in the right line  :wink:

KidStein said:

You're forgetting the fact that what the books revealed, is other characters' OPINIONS. He is eight feet tall just about. His strength, armor, and overall SIZE is what makes him so dangerous. No where has it been said he was very SKILLED though. In a battle, yes, Gregor would be at his best then. In the chaos he could just hack and slash, or ride people down. But that does NOT make him superior to all of the fighters in Westeros. Personally, I view Gregor as similar to Strong Belwas. Size and Strength advantage. Yes, they are skilled and dangerous, but their strengths can be HUGE weaknesses when fighting one person. Not the perfect comparison, but Belwas is one of the few larger people we've seen fight.

And you're forgetting the fact that...
Gregor has already been BEATEN by someone other than his brother.

He has not really been beaten, it was more of draw due to the arrogance of his opponent. However these perhaps 10-20 people that could be a threat to Gregor are still fewer than 0,0001% of the people in Westeros.
Anyways, shall we return to the topic of this mod anytime soon? This seems more appropriate to some "who wins" discussion thread...

I'm pretty sure you get horsemen (sergeants) after the swordsmen since the Vale seems to have a very equal tech tree to the Stormlands. Just upgrade one of your Elite Spearmen to "Swordsmen" and look what the next upgrade is. If it's "sergeant" you're in the right line :wink:
Ey, thanks mate, I'll give it a shot. The unit-tree at Page 200-and-Something say otherwise, but that thing is probably just out of date.

Back
Top Bottom