Developer communication request - weekly short dev diaries

Users who are viewing this thread

Dear Taleworlds team!

I would like to ask you the following: weekly short dev diaries

As a gamer and mod developer I'd like to see constant, weekly, small dev diaries about upcoming features with pictures so I can always look forward for things to come, see the game's progression direction and feel that I'm being communicated to by the developer team.

• It should be about an upcoming feature, either one already in development or a planned/concept feature.
  • It should be about a focused and specific small topic and not about a large abstract concept.
  • It should be short, 3-5 paragraph with about 500 words.
  • It should contain at least one picture, in-game screenshot or concept art about the feature.
  • It should be weekly, preferably the same day every week so one can look forward to it.
  • It should be written by the game directory, a designer or a developer.
  • It should be published by the community management team.
  • The diaries goal are 1) create a stable and excepted way of communication with players 2) constantly marketing the game 3) create a cost effective way to show direction and progress.

Thank you for reading and for your consideration!

I would like to hear from them how the game will look in its finished state; I can confidently say that the majority of complaints stem from the fact that the community has no clue whether the devs share a similar vision for the game as they do, or whether they have a completely different Bannerlord in mind. We don't know how close the game is to being finished besides that "in a year, probably" which doesn't say anything, hence people are rightfully worried for the future of Bannerlord.

Having a road map would be nice showing when they aim to add everything, subject to change of course; or maybe just a short term one for 1 or 2 months in the future. They could also announce any dev diaries they want to do there as a weekly update would probably be too frequent and information would run dry quickly.

Development diaries have had a role in the past; to appease the beast while buying time. Today we don't need (imo) that kind of fluffy, bombastic content, even though Callum holds it in high esteem :iamamoron: .

We don't need diaries like this (fantastic parody by Bloc) :

[...]
plants1-1551895073.png

Our office plants, we changed the background and removed the office completely for optimisation purpose.

One important update was we watered our plants in the office, which allows players to forge their own path in Calradia in true sandbox fashion.

Water helps a plant by transporting important nutrients through the plant. Nutrients are drawn from the soil and used by the plant. Without enough water in the cells, the plants droop, so water helps a plant to stand. Water carries the dissolved sugar and other nutrients through the plant. So without the proper balance of water, the plant not only is malnourished, but it is also physically weak and cannot support its own weight. Different types of plants require different amounts of water. With outdoor plants, you can’t control the plants getting too much water if your area gets a lot of rain, so you need to make sure that the soil has the proper drainage because too much water will affect plant growth just as much as too little.

Therefore, by watering our plants, we brought more fresh and clean air into the office which will affect the game overhaul.
[...]

Updates with their detailed attached notes and a general clarification about 100% of the content for SP and MP expected for the final build 1.0. Nothing more and nothing less.

Development diaries have had a role in the past.... Today we don't need (imo) that kind of...

I really don't agree with you on this one, I think totally the opposite, they have it's use and purpose. :smile: Let me give you a great and working example: Stellaris dev diaries.

I do agree that professional communication should be preplanned, regular, consistent, factual, and specific. So far it was unanticipated, irregular, abrupt, inconsistent, and abstract. Most importantly, the information should be conveyed in a balanced way, not in a biased (marketing) way; dev diaries should include not only "we will do this," but also "we won't do this."

Do you want to get useless devblogs about horse reigns and swords? Because this is how you get useless devblogs about horse reigns and swords, as we did back in 2018-2019

I remember when Kingdom Come: Deliverance was in development, Warhorse was releasing their Developer diaries, when they were showing what were they working on, what have they achieved, what are their future plans etc. Wish TW was doing something similar.

They should do this. This is a must 100%.

I don't even know how they can have lived so long without doing it... :S
They did do it, but then the updates became more and more infrequent and the community manager left and after awhile it got better. Then they started having updates running late, had almost no real info, or they just didn't post them at all with no explanation which really pissed people off. If we can get updates with actual information and on a regular basis I'm fine with that, but if we get what we had for the last few months before release then no thanks.

I'd be happy with a little ' live ' and constantly updated window in the Bannerlord website that simply read :

Working on now: 1) xxxx 2) xxxx 3) xxxx

Working on next: 1) xxxx 2) xxxx 3) xxxx

Subject to change etc... no promises etc....

I really don't agree with you on this one, I think totally the opposite, they have it's use and purpose. :smile: Let me give you a great and working example: Stellaris dev diaries.

@Terco_Viejo's point is, I believe, that with dev diaries we would only get more fluff such as this one

One important update was Kingdom Creation, which allows players to forge their own path in Calradia in true sandbox fashion by giving them the ability to create their own kingdom outside of the main storyline.

which honestly doesn't really mean anything and is to me mildly infuriating. If that is the kind of communication they are going to give us, I would rather get nothing.

As you say, when they are genuine and they work they can be nice to had. TW has proved time and again that that's not their thing so... Let's not have them waste any time on them. I would rather have substance.

I'd be happy with a little ' live ' and constantly updated window in the Bannerlord website that simply read :

Working on now: 1) xxxx 2) xxxx 3) xxxx

Working on next: 1) xxxx 2) xxxx 3) xxxx

Subject to change etc... no promises etc....

Now this I really like. It's short, it's simple, wouldn't take too much time for them to do and it would be very informative for us. I do think it is probably a bit unrealistic to hope that they will do something like this at this point though.

I think something along the lines of Factorio's Friday Facts would be ideal for Bannerlord and Taleworld's general pace and style.

I actually really like this idea and how the factorio devs present that information. Even if we only get a bit of information on new models or potential changes and a couple screenshots would be really cool to see

Have not been playing for two months and only checked in from time to time on the forums to see what the current version of the game is and what has changed.
Reasons:
  • Bored of the current (lack of) features in the game
  • No idea where the game is headed content wise
  • Annoyed by minor tweaks to economy and fixing of exploits (which I was always oblivious that existed until I saw them in the patch notes) rather than introducing new features or actually fully implementing basic things, such as perks
With so much time in between it is interesting to see that not much has changed. The change log does not motivate me to even launch Bannerlord and give it another go. And the community on this forum is still craving for some kind of meaningful information from the dev team.

I wish I could enjoy it, I loved returning to the M&B world, but it was just too lackluster. But the pure lack of communication from the dev team, be it due to inability or neglect, just worries me about the future of this game. Someone here mentioned that there is no indication that TW's vision of Bannerlord does align with that of the players at all. Who can be sure that in 4 months they will simply put the 1.0 label on the game and say that's it, we are done...?

I ended up uninstalling recently once I realized that additions that'll revive the game aren't coming anytime soon.
And I am still pretty annoyed that we don't really know the artistic vision of what bannerlord should be when it's done. Or what they're focusing on right now. And most importantly, annoyed that we have to scavenge for bits of information across various threads

Back
Top Bottom