Coup Attempt in Turkey

Users who are viewing this thread

Now, it seems more like the coup has failed miserably. Military failed in arresting Erdogan, PM and ministers, failed in controlling the media, and it seems the coup never enjoyed the support of overwhelming majority in the military. It lacked the popular support, all the media and political parties were against the coup. Now it doesn't seem to have any chance with all these protestors in the streets who have answered to Erdogan's wish.

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Now, it seems more like the coup has failed miserably. Military failed in arresting Erdogan, PM and ministers, failed in controlling the media, and it seems the coup never enjoyed the support of overwhelming majority in the military. It lacked the popular support, all the media and political parties were against the coup. Now it doesn't seem to have any chance with all these protestors in the streets who have answered to Erdogan's wish.

It lloks a lot more like a plot to be honest.

Lux said:
Now I hear the jets flying over me. I honestly can't take this anymore. Want to leave the country as soon as possible.
I want to leave this planet. Share a taxi?
:cool: steadfast gentlemen... sometimes,
If You're Going Through Hell, its best to just Keep Going!

Efe Karacar said:

It looks a lot more like a plot to be honest.
honestly, I wouldn't be surprised either

Erdogan's plane lands in Istanbul airport.
CnciQ3IVUAA8jm5.jpg

The damage to the parliament looks very minor, at least from what can be seen in those photos/videos. I wonder what exactly is going on there.

Lord Brutus said:
It took a coup in Turkey to rouse Moss from his slumber.  :razz:
It was either that or rely on Reddit for information, and even I'm not that brain dead.

I'm strongly suspicious of this whole thing. Just way too many convenient coincidences that all converge towards Erdogan gaining absolute power at the expense of a few civilian and police casualties. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out (some day) that it was staged and the world ate it all up. Erdogan being on a plane in the air during all of the events is especially fishy to me.

Lux said:
I'm strongly suspicious of this whole thing. Just way too many convenient coincidences that all converge towards Erdogan gaining absolute power at the expense of a few civilian and police casualties. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out (some day) that it was staged and the world ate it all up. Erdogan being on a plane in the air during all of the events is especially fishy to me.
:iamamoron: - http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/02/slavoj-i-ek-spectre-putogan

Goker said:
The soldiers lost control of the National TV's building but is now seizing the CNN one. This feels like a cat and mouse game.
I heard something about soldiers seizing some satellite building, can anyone confirm?

Large explosion at Turkish Parliament in Ankara. Airstrike at Grand National Assembly.

Seems like the coup-ists (?) aren't giving up quite yet. But I don't see how bombing key structures will help them seize control. If they don't have the support of the people, they've lost. They're just digging a deeper hole for themselves.

The SVT (Swedish state-media) livestream just said that the Atatürk airport was bombed.  :shock:

@Almalexia
Checked the constitution and the declarations of the past coups. There was a statement(article 35) like "Turkish military protects Turkey against internal and external threats". The coup in '60s was justified on this ground, the preface on their constitution made references to "Turkish people's right for self-defense". Yet the word "internal" was removed by AKP for demilitarisation of the country.
Skirmish between police and soldiers in Taksim square.

Yet the word "internal" was removed by AKP for demilitarisation of the country.
Of course it was - who needs a possible justification for a coup when they're already in power?

Back
Top Bottom