Coup Attempt in Turkey

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellenbrecher said:
Can we get a thread for this, Gokerino?

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Wellenbrecher said:
By whom? The military?
yes
So... assuming this whole thing is real that means he's a AKP goon? I'm not familiar with that rank/office or whatever it is.
Highest rank guy in Turkey and appointed by the government yes. There were some coups by middle-rank military officials in the past.
pentagathus said:
Since erdogan jailed a load of army commanders a fair while ago I would have assumed he'd make sure the guy at the top was his sympathetic to him at the very least.
Yes, but the conventional wisdom was that Erdogan defanged military by jailing them. Doesn't seem to be true anymore.

So, you Turkish guys, assuming you don't think writing your opinions about this down publicly could be potentially dangerous to you personally, would you welcome this to succeed?
From an outside perspective and given the military's track record in these matters wish them the best of luck. Can't possibly be worse than Erdogan's constitutional reform.

As a non-Turk, who has only ever heard bad things about Erdogan, I wonder whether his apparent overreach justifies something like this? He seems pretty awful, but then again, coups aren't exactly a stellar example of democracy in action.

Wellenbrecher said:
So, you Turkish guys, assuming you don't thing writing about this could be potentially dangerous to you personally, would you welcome this to succeed?
From an outside perspective and given the military's track record in these matters wish them the best of luck. Can't possibly be worse than Erdogan's constitutional reform.

Interested too, but I have the same reservations (especially if the coup turns out to be not so successful).  :ohdear:

Vulnerable groups(activists, gays, minorities etc.) suffer most during the coups in Turkey. And arguably, we're still feeling the backlashes of past coups today as AKP used to coups to justify its authoritarianism. The coup in '60s was similar to this one, it was orchestrated by middle-rank officials and was against an authoritarian government. 80 coup was much more oppressive in comparison, as it was for restoring order during anarchy and terror.
Martial law declared.
National TV broadcasting a declaration by Turkish Military, its tone is definitely kemalist.
Cnb1mRKXYAYYK1c.jpg

What's confusing here is that one one hand they suggest "human rights" and "democracy" as the main reason of the coup, yet they came to the point where helicopters rain down high-caliber bullets, and with skirmishes intensifying. While I know that a military coup is all but flowers and things, I find the whole situation fishy.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Kemalist is good after Erdogan, is it not? Or is it too early to be hopeful about such things?
1960 constitution was the most democratic constitution with robust protections of human rights. And for Kurds living in the country, it was already like a coup as martial law was declared in southeastern cities and it was not possible to sue military officers. But I can't think how military can hand over power without a crushing AKP victory in the next election. In 1980 military tried hard to prevent Islamists from getting into power through elections, and you see the results.

Could we just leave the Kurds out of this, just this one time?

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Kemalist is good after Erdogan, is it not? Or is it too early to be hopeful about such things?
My thoughts exactly, isn't kemalism one of the better ideologies?

The Bowman said:
What's confusing here is that one one hand they suggest "human rights" and "democracy" as the main reason of the coup, yet they came to the point where helicopters rain down high-caliber bullets, and with skirmishes intensifying. While I know that a military coup is all but flowers and things, I find the whole situation fishy.
I wonder what the balance of power looks like at the moment, is it pretty much the army versus the cops? Because if that's so, the cops have some balls to go up against tanks and helicopters.

Military names itself "Council of Peace in the Homeland", a quotation from Ataturk. It declares that the rule of law was undermined to an alarming extent, corruption is rife, the human rights are violated and democracy destroyed by AKP government. There are some quotations of Ataturk in the declaration. Also some mentions of terror and autocracy.

Comrade Temuzu said:
I wonder what the balance of power looks like at the moment, is it pretty much the army versus the cops? Because if that's so, the cops have some balls to go up against tanks and helicopters.
Given the broad support the AKP gets in the last few elections and Erdogan's efforts to "de-fang" the military politically I'd assume there's going to be parts that are loyal.

Back
Top Bottom