Beta Patch Notes v1.2.0-v1.2.6

Users who are viewing this thread

Not exactly - it will be released once the content is completed and that will be some time still.
I raised many issues or questions that weren't addressed in the patch notes, siege equipment placement, prisoner selling, ladders not being raised. It would be awesome if a dev saw the video and addressed them like they did awhile back instead of filling out 4 or 5 bug reports.

We have made the following clarification to the Beta v1.2.5 patch notes:
  • Fights will therefore become more challenging during the final rounds of tournaments, making winning them meaningfully more difficult.
  • AI tournament participants now become progressively better at fighting by making smarter decisions in noninitial rounds. Fights will therefore become increasingly more challenging as the rounds progress, making winning them meaningfully more difficult.

Decided to dive back in a few hours since release to test state of game. Whatever changes were made to blocking are tuned way too much or bugged; or at least the difference between a T1 doing it vs a T6 is negligible.
Tournaments, the only difficulty this patch added is testing the player's patience; it's not meaningful winning. It's just adding another 5 minutes and that amount of mouse-clicking to the same fight mechanic.

What exactly is being tweaked that's making them 'smarter' (besides it sounding akin to just adding 'quantum' in scifi films)? And is there any way a player can overcome or puzzle out to make them feel 'skilled' in game?

1v1s, good couple minutes of me and T6 troop just exchanging swing/blocks ad nauseum. Seemed completely random if/when a attack did finally manage to get through after the 30th swing, before having to do another 20/30/40+ exchanges to land the next; no way to figure out what caused it. This applies to lower tiers as well.
Only way to speed that up is adding kicks or using the walls to cheese the AI; that can't be the intended design. We might as well just have them not block and just give them 100k hp 'difficulty'.

Spear on horseback vs 2 remaining units on foot, another ridiculously tedious fight that requires cheesing the AI to beat or just simply trampling them to death; again that can't be the intended design.

Decided to dive back in a few hours since release to test state of game. Whatever changes were made to blocking are tuned way too much or bugged; or at least the difference between a T1 doing it vs a T6 is negligible.
Tournaments, the only difficulty this patch added is testing the player's patience; it's not meaningful winning. It's just adding another 5 minutes and that amount of mouse-clicking to the same fight mechanic.

What exactly is being tweaked that's making them 'smarter' (besides it sounding akin to just adding 'quantum' in scifi films)? And is there any way a player can overcome or puzzle out to make them feel 'skilled' in game?

1v1s, good couple minutes of me and T6 troop just exchanging swing/blocks ad nauseum. Seemed completely random if/when a attack did finally manage to get through after the 30th swing, before having to do another 20/30/40+ exchanges to land the next; no way to figure out what caused it. This applies to lower tiers as well.
Only way to speed that up is adding kicks or using the walls to cheese the AI; that can't be the intended design. We might as well just have them not block and just give them 100k hp 'difficulty'.

Spear on horseback vs 2 remaining units on foot, another ridiculously tedious fight that requires cheesing the AI to beat or just simply trampling them to death; again that can't be the intended design.
exaclly what I feel now, and u know what ? the final round 2handed agains tier 2 troop, he become a professional, okay im noob, using spear to kill a footman is...

Some of the issues I see being brought up with 1.2.5, as a console player, are kind of disheartening. The eternally blocking ai and crashing in battle are potentially game breaking, and happening this far into beta too. I would love to be a fly on the wall at tw right now.

We have made the following clarification to the Beta v1.2.5 patch notes:
as with all Ai why increase the block chance across the board and instead add new Difficulty settings so people can adjust difficulty how they want to their ability? Why force changes on people. Not everyone has the same skill set in the game. My idea was keep the difficulty the same, but add 2 higher difficulty setting for people who are advanced and really good fighters. Your solution forces tougher fighting on all, my idea gives the ability for everyone to choose based on their skill set, so everyone wins. You force things on people, I add things to accommodate all. We know what you think is best, but which do you think the community would prefer, something forced or something optional? Things that make ya go hmmmm

They are still incredibly susceptible to side stepping. Rotating around them in a counter clockwise direction if they have a shield almost always guarantees victory, no real change noticed in 1.2.5 to this strategy.

Much harder to do with low athletics though. The better skilled you become the easier tournaments become though. It wasn't much realistic you faced off with a recruit or some other low tier at the end fight either though.

Much harder to do with low athletics though. The better skilled you become the easier tournaments become though. It wasn't much realistic you faced off with a recruit or some other low tier at the end fight either though.
I have noticed better equipped and higher tier units or nobles are making it to the later rounds more consistently. Athletics is the key to tournament victories that is for sure, early on you are so slow it can be hard to maneuver especially if you get surrounded.

Thing is, it's not really due to a player's skill, just how many skill points you have on that character. No more 'difficult' than just grinding to a higher level in MMORPGs, except, you would think a player is supposed to 'game' it given the agency we have with directional attacks/blocks, movements, animation timing, etc. Something like a competitive shooter where a player's skill matters more than the gun itself.

Tournaments are 'harder' now, no doubt. No longer can I win practically all rounds from the get go with no skill but that's more because I can't kill them, vs them killing me; if you know what I mean.
I lose because I'm trying different things to figure out what I'm supposed to do to win, because I don't have the patience to deal with the hit>block>hit>block for the next 5 minutes or 400 exchanges in this first 1v1 round; let alone the next couple rounds..

Thing is, it's not really due to a player's skill, just how many skill points you have on that character. No more 'difficult' than just grinding to a higher level in MMORPGs, except, you would think a player is supposed to 'game' it given the agency we have with directional attacks/blocks, movements, animation timing, etc. Something like a competitive shooter where a player's skill matters more than the gun itself.

Tournaments are 'harder' now, no doubt. No longer can I win practically all rounds from the get go with no skill but that's more because I can't kill them, vs them killing me; if you know what I mean.
I lose because I'm trying different things to figure out what I'm supposed to do to win, because I don't have the patience to deal with the hit>block>hit>block for the next 5 minutes or 400 exchanges in this first 1v1 round; let alone the next couple rounds..

You have the agency, just your agency is over how you develop your character. I find tournaments more fun now because it's not just some low effort, risk free cash cow early on anylonger.

I did notice something strange with the tournament though. When you loaded out with a bow, even with good skills. It would take several arrows to down someone, even with head shoots.

So there are some the AI improvements in 1.2.5 works in tournaments only, which makes even low tier troops perform better, right?
No, there are general combat AI score calculation changes. Tournament participants in later rounds just receive an additional bonus to their score.

To my understanding, this is not a direct AI improvement either. The score determines how well a character performs (how quickly & accurately they block, how often they feint, etc.) - changing it changes their performance, but not the underlying system.

Sometimes I wonder whether TaleWorlds even has a game designer position, or they all are just a bunch of random software developers who don't even play video games.

Damage sponge enemies are not fun. Anyone who played any amount of action games knows that. So why on Earth TW decide to move their combat system in this direction?

This company never ceases to surprise me.

No, there are general combat AI score calculation changes. Tournament participants in later rounds just receive an additional bonus to their score.

To my understanding, this is not a direct AI improvement either. The score determines how well a character performs (how quickly & accurately they block, how often they feint, etc.) - changing it changes their performance, but not the underlying system.
Thanks for your clarification.

Back
Top Bottom