Wasn't the refactor supposed to speed up development?

Users who are viewing this thread

The giant multiplayer update was about 10 lines of balance patch notes and the introduction of a crush through mechanic that we all begged to not be added which ended up finally killing the game in NA.

Clan system is useless with no clans.

The giant multiplayer update was about 10 lines of balance patch notes and the introduction of a crush through mechanic that we all begged to not be added which ended up finally killing the game in NA.

Clan system is useless with no clans.
yeah the only way crush through would be acceptable is if there was a dodge mechanic/to quickly go to the right or left or backwards or even forwards as a charge. But no, it's just RNG-fest ;( poor implementation..

Ah so super slow is just normal pace?

It's crazy what modders can create in 1/10th of the time
the thing is that modders are able to focus in on very specific things while answering to no one else while being held to no standards. It allows for extremely fast development in comparison that's unfair to a paid and integrated dev team.

It's kind of hard to take almost anything in this thread with credibility because as all the modders will tell you, the refactor is still very much in process becasue almost every mod is broken with every patch, which means they're steadily changing/renaming/removing functions and classes every time.

The fact they're completely changing their code base AND still adding features is moderately impressive considering their code was screwed up as all hell to begin with.

The fact they're completely changing their code base AND still adding features is moderately impressive considering their code was screwed up as all hell to begin with.

I'm really confused how a professional game company that has multiple previous titles under their belt and plenty of cash from top selling games can write such screwed up code needing complete refactor in the first place. I mean, its not like this is some amateur game design group project in college lol.

Really hope they can pull it together.

I'm really confused how a professional game company that has multiple previous titles under their belt and plenty of cash from top selling games can write such screwed up code needing complete refactor in the first place. I mean, its not like this is some amateur game design group project in college lol.

Well... they don't really have multiple titles under their belt is the truth. The original Mount and Blade was made by a man and his wife; warband with a little further help but largely based on the same foundation. All the other 'M&B titles' were all other teams (NW, WFAS etc).

So Bannerlord is actually Taleworlds first major title as a real development team rather then a small group of enthusiastic and talented amateurs / semi-professionals.

Let's also consider that the fact it has been in development so long has no doubt been the main cause of the 'spaghetti code'. The people who wrote the original code are probably not the same people working on it now largely.

1.5.6 was a big update; and slow as it might be it's clear the game is progressing. It's just going to take a long time...

It seems things have been getting slower since 1.0, heck we can get a massive change to gameplay not in patch notes and wait a month to get a response to it. so they are working on something just might not be Bannerlord, I've heard people mention other projects going on so maybe they are taking staff away to work on it

It's pretty much business standard.

so they are working on something just might not be Bannerlord, I've heard people mention other projects going on so maybe they are taking staff away to work on it
not maybe, they are taking staff away to work on it.
ZBXC0.png

C4rVI.png

I won't be working on server related stuff for next couple of months so not really my place to communicate. Sorry!
Nothing that will affect players anytime soon.
I'm pretty sure azakhi and probably more devs are working on that unannounced project now, I asked MArda about this unannounced thing and he said "it wouldn't be suitable for me to talk about this" so it's probably a DLC. They are searching for more experienced (at least 1 AAA game delivered) staff to work on Bannerlord

And I disagree with the slowing down thing, first patches were pretty much bugfixes and they were crunching really hard, now updates are much bigger and they come once in a month, which I am fine with.

not maybe, they are taking staff away to work on it.
ZBXC0.png

C4rVI.png

I'm pretty sure azakhi and probably more devs are working on that unannounced project now, I asked MArda about this unannounced thing and he said "it wouldn't be suitable for me to talk about this" so it's probably a DLC. They are searching for more experienced (at least 1 AAA game delivered) staff to work on Bannerlord

And I disagree with the slowing down thing, first patches were pretty much bugfixes and they were crunching really hard, now updates are much bigger and they come once in a month, which I am fine with.
Are they once a month, that's what TW said, but have we seen them in 30 days or less, I would have to go back and check but I thought we had many 5 or 6 week waits, like I said I don't have all the number but for one example I think it was 41 days from 1.5.5 to 1.5.6, that almost 6 weeks but like I said I don't have them all so not sure on it

“James T Kirk: Mr.Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?”

That's how you do an estimation folks

Are they once a month, that's what TW said, but have we seen them in 30 days or less, I would have to go back and check but I thought we had many 5 or 6 week waits, like I said I don't have all the number but for one example I think it was 41 days from 1.5.5 to 1.5.6, that almost 6 weeks but like I said I don't have them all so not sure on it

“James T Kirk: Mr.Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?”

August 26

September 8

September 28

October 19

November 19

December 24

Some updates were bigger, some smaller. But generally they release a major update each month, sometimes even faster. I guess it's perfectly understandable when an update takes a few days more because they ran into some critical issues.

mexxico said 1.5.7 is coming faster than other updates, he said mid january is a good date

mexxico said 1.5.7 is coming faster than other updates, he said mid january is a good date
Yeah I caught his they try once a month and 1.5.7 would be quicker
Thanks for the patch info , not quick on the dates but looks like starting from 1.5.0 each patch took longer

Thanks for the patch info , not quick on the dates but looks like starting from 1.5.0 each patch took longer
I mean, take a look at 1.5.6. It introduced really 2-3 new features, last time we got a new feature.. did we even get one? 1.5.7 will offer child education & death fix (not sure about this one) & keep battles and probably more. So that's a good update too.
we will get a new update (development update, video) Soon™

maybe even banners?

Yes, but 1.5.6 also had way more improvements than, let's say 1.5.1. You can't just look at dates and say that development slowed down. There are so many different reasons a patch comes earlier than the other, it's completely pointless. If you look at 1.5.7 for example, if it really comes mid January, it's entirely possible that some people already started work on education and prison break months ago. So one reason why 1.5.6 took longer might be because some people already worked on 1.5.7 and so on. Additionally, if you have unexpected issues which only occur once the full update gets tested by QA you can easily lose a week or two.

Yes, but 1.5.6 also had way more improvements than, let's say 1.5.1. You can't just look at dates and say that development slowed down. There are so many different reasons a patch comes earlier than the other, it's completely pointless. If you look at 1.5.7 for example, if it really comes mid January, it's entirely possible that some people already started work on education and prison break months ago. So one reason why 1.5.6 took longer might be because some people already worked on 1.5.7 and so on. Additionally, if you have unexpected issues which only occur once the full update gets tested by QA you can easily lose a week or two.
i know

Some updates were bigger, some smaller. But generally they release a major update each month, sometimes even faster. I guess it's perfectly understandable when an update takes a few days more because they ran into some critical issues.
Wow if only those patches contained new and cool stuff,or maybe some fixes that would cause people to return to the game instead of letting it go to the graveyard.

Back
Top Bottom