Why is every single NPC ugly as sin....and white?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't expect every NPC to look amazing, but there is something to be said about diversity. When all of them have the same skin color and incredibly ugly, it gets a bit weird.

For the ugliness... well take a mirror :wink: we're mostly not looking like hollywood in our every-day-lifes.
I prefer an average and rough look, its not netflix series.

I don't want pretty and handsome, like you, I want NPC's to look average. But when everyone looks like they are inbreds, it is the opposite of average.

God, anyone making this argument is as inbred as your average Bannerlord NPC. This game is not set in europe, it's set in Calradia. In Calradia, there are cultures based on north-africans and west asians, among others. None of the Khuzaits or Aserai should look remotely like a white person.
You sound like an overzealous ****.
There were and are plenty of white and white looking people in North Africa in the time period emulated by the game. Aserai look just fine. The darker complexion and cheekbones of the khuzait are fine for a faction loosely based not only on the central asian mongols, but also on more western nomads like the magyars, sarmatians and their descendants. If you actually investigated more you'd be surprised by which traits have been related to turks, for instance. Did you know they were known for red hair before?

I'd be surprised if the face system in BL worked hugely different to the one in Warband.
How it works:
You have sliders that control parts of the face, and a randomizer that just picks values on said sliders.
You can set certain limits for that randomizer to be applied for "skins", which can be used for races, factions etc.
For all these sliders you set two extreme examples per one skin, and then every person sharing that skin is generated between those two extremes.

I think BL works very similarly, so when you choose a Khuzait main character, it automatically gives you a random value set between the Khuzait limits. (flat face, low profile nose, slanted eyes etc.)

To get less "ugly" NPCs is a trivial thing, you just need to restrict slider extremes that lead to "ugliness" for NPC skins/types. Or you need to limit how many of them can get into extreme values at once.
Of course this will lead to less unique faces overall.

As a history professor I'd like to express, first an opinion, and second a valid point.

First, and foremost...I hope this series doesn't turn into some odd cultural soup for the sake of political correctness.
Second,If a game, say Resident Evil, is set in Asia...I expect the overwhelming majority of characters and zombies to have Asian features.
A clear example what not to do is State of Decay 2, where the mid west is populated overwhelmingly by minority groups for no reason what so ever. Conversely if State of Decay 2 was set in California or Florida, then I would understand completely its change.

If the lore(history) can explain it, based on geographical reasoning (geography changes weather, weather affects culture as well as skin tone) then there is no problem whatsoever.

Agreed

Your hard on for diversity and political correctness is destroying the gaming industry.

and while we are at it: why are there so many female commanders, but not a single female soldier?

i think there should be almost no female commanders and also almost no female soldiers in the middle age. maybe some fractions have more females and others have none, but just making the commanders 50/50 seems forced and unnatural.

I'd point out the diversity **** is obviously bait, but then...you guys' reaction is exactly what he baited for, which is equally sad.
The game is quite diverse, as it should be.

Well "ugliness" depends on perspective. Warband characters were way more ugly in my opinion and I actually like the new graphics style. But that's a matter of taste. Regarding skin color: Have you already been in Asera? Many of the Aserai NPCs have dark skin

Problem isn't just about NPC's being ugly, they look goofy as hell with their huge eyes and weird faces as well. They look inbred, not at real life like.

Problem isn't just about NPC's being ugly, they look goofy as hell with their huge eyes and weird faces as well. They look inbred, not at real life like.
yes, the eyes need rework. once you change the eyes they seem way more realistic

I mean seriously my choices of spouse is ugly or even uglier. Dont get me started on every male(edit: and female) NPC regardless of factional culture looking either like a old grizzly white dude or young grumpy white dude.

Wheres our cultural diversity?

Just FYI, im white.

No diversity???
Dude there are as many women leaders than men in this game... if anything this game is way too diverse to even be a little realistic.
And btw it's in 1080 not 2020, also the factions clearly show who is who and having forced race diversity would be terrible, don't be that guy.

I don't expect every NPC to look amazing, but there is something to be said about diversity. When all of them have the same skin color and incredibly ugly, it gets a bit weird.

I don't want pretty and handsome, like you, I want NPC's to look average. But when everyone looks like they are inbreds, it is the opposite of average.

Unless the population is generally inbred, then it is by definition the average.

Calradia's darkest secret, no wonder the Lord AI is so dumb - they're all inbred!

Plot twists.

yes, the eyes need rework. once you change the eyes they seem way more realistic

Yeah, they should at least limit the eye slider if nothing else.

Also, I am not sure if it is random or not, but in my game players father had raider hair for some reason. It looks silly as hell.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the diversity in the NPCs -- they (mostly) look like they come from the cultures each faction is supposed to represent. Imperials look Mediterranean, Battanians look Celtic, Khuzaits look Turkic, Sturgians look Nordic, Aserai look Middle Eastern, etc. They seem to have done a reasonably good job already, unless I am missing something?

Yeah, they should at least limit the eye slider if nothing else.

Also, I am not sure if it is random or not, but in my game players father had raider hair for some reason. It looks silly as hell.

it's random but quite common - yeah looks kind of weird. If you go back to character customisation and make a tiny change to your character it will regen your parents and brother - so you can get ones you like (if you care).

I mean seriously my choices of spouse is ugly or even uglier. Dont get me started on every male(edit: and female) NPC regardless of factional culture looking either like a old grizzly white dude or young grumpy white dude.

Wheres our cultural diversity?
Just FYI, im white.

- NPCs seems to be randomly generated based on their Culture. I started maybe 4 games last night and the King of Vlandia never looked the same. ALSO CULTURE isn't skin color... it's ideas, behaviors, customs etc NOT SKIN COLOR!!

- Fook your criteria! If they want to make a game with everyone white or black or pink... they can. Go make some diverse bullcrap yourself damn SJW!!

companions before mods come out:
*picture*

Companions after mods come out:
*picture*

... and like we can see, number 1 would be believable in full plate armor, not number 2. Number 1 could have cross the street in the Dark Ages... not number 2. I don't want TURBO make up bimbo in a semi-realistic DARK AGE game.

Back
Top Bottom