What else remains to be explained?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo said:
xdj1nn said:
reading through these posts is making me a little worried with the depth of BL even in a basic shallow level! Scarier than having a masked psycho trying to kill me!

giphy.gif

I'm terribly afraid of what we're going to find after lifting the "spoiling too much and ruining the experience before you get to play it " blanket.
My thoughts exactly, that's why I'm not reading too much. It's getting ever closer to the Half Life 3 effect: there's so much expectation that no conceivable game can ever hope to reach it in its lifetime.

[hide the pain]

NPC99 said:
As I understand seasons/weather, these change dynamically in the campaign map. Also, when you enter a scene (such as a battle) its season/weather is set based on that in the relevant location on the campaign map. However, once in the scene the set season/weather does not change dynamically within the scene.

27. Will we be able to simulate the flow of time in a scene without forcing a re-entry? (Morning-Noon-Evening-Night)
The atmosphere system is not designed to update in real-time, so you cannot simulate that without stutters. Maybe you can darken the screen, change the atmosphere and then do a fade in

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1464090667824385857

On the coalition discussion, Armagan said the barter system could be used to offer any deal to anyone. However, to avoid ridiculous outcomes the price for deals that run counter to an individual’s interest will be prohibitively expensive. Accordingly, I can’t see us bribing Lords of another faction to conduct acts of war against parties at peace with that faction.

Under the hood, the game takes what might be called a rather materialistic approach: In the world of Bannerlord's barters, everything has a price; the game internally assigns a numerical value in the game world's currency --denars to every possible item in a barter, then uses this monetary value to evaluate whether a deal is good or not. Something to be careful of, with this kind of system, is the potential of counter-intuitive results arising: For example bribing your arch-enemy to join your faction, if you pay the right amount. In practice though, this is a non-issue. The system will typically assign such exorbitant values to decisions of this sort, that these will be extremely difficult, if not altogether impossible, for the player to attain.
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/12

I expect the nearest we will get to an active coalition (as opposed to coincidental but uncoordinated ones were two parties are independently at war with the same other faction) will be the ability of a faction to hire one or more minor mercenary factions to add to its war effort.

I think we have a totally different view of what "dynamic weather" is. The reference you provide (I thank you anyway) is more focused on the question of Time as a measure of transition over a day and not so much the climatic time (weather) of which I lacked its non-adaptation to the game.

For me the work of _Sebastian_ is the representation of dynamic weather that should appear in Bannerlord.

---

The barter system doesn't seem to have changed much since Warband (they may have improved it since then...or not). Already then few diplomatic options were available.
4bxKfWi.jpg

Icc6nmg.jpg

Min. 6:26

They wanted to sell the concept of advanced diplomacy as a revolutionary change from Warband and we won't be able to make alliances? We know absolutely nothing about advanced diplomacy (I do not contemplate "diplomacy" as an administration of the kingdom in Bannerlord but rather the qualitative diplomatic leap that Floris brought to Warband).

I would be happy for dynamic weather such as Sebastian’s to be included in Bannerlord, I was merely commenting on my understanding of what is in Bannerlord given this thread is dedicated to explanations as opposed to wish lists.

Occasional fixed option transactions in Warband are not comparable with the player controlled fully flexible barter system promised for Bannerlord.

Terco_Viejo said:
NPC99 said:
As I understand seasons/weather, these change dynamically in the campaign map. Also, when you enter a scene (such as a battle) its season/weather is set based on that in the relevant location on the campaign map. However, once in the scene the set season/weather does not change dynamically within the scene.

27. Will we be able to simulate the flow of time in a scene without forcing a re-entry? (Morning-Noon-Evening-Night)
The atmosphere system is not designed to update in real-time, so you cannot simulate that without stutters. Maybe you can darken the screen, change the atmosphere and then do a fade in

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1464090667824385857

On the coalition discussion, Armagan said the barter system could be used to offer any deal to anyone. However, to avoid ridiculous outcomes the price for deals that run counter to an individual’s interest will be prohibitively expensive. Accordingly, I can’t see us bribing Lords of another faction to conduct acts of war against parties at peace with that faction.

Under the hood, the game takes what might be called a rather materialistic approach: In the world of Bannerlord's barters, everything has a price; the game internally assigns a numerical value in the game world's currency --denars to every possible item in a barter, then uses this monetary value to evaluate whether a deal is good or not. Something to be careful of, with this kind of system, is the potential of counter-intuitive results arising: For example bribing your arch-enemy to join your faction, if you pay the right amount. In practice though, this is a non-issue. The system will typically assign such exorbitant values to decisions of this sort, that these will be extremely difficult, if not altogether impossible, for the player to attain.
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/12

I expect the nearest we will get to an active coalition (as opposed to coincidental but uncoordinated ones were two parties are independently at war with the same other faction) will be the ability of a faction to hire one or more minor mercenary factions to add to its war effort.

I think we have a totally different view of what "dynamic weather" is. The reference you provide (I thank you anyway) is more focused on the question of Time as a measure of transition over a day and not so much the climatic time (weather) of which I lacked its non-adaptation to the game.

For me the work of _Sebastian_ is the representation of dynamic weather that should appear in Bannerlord.

---

The barter system doesn't seem to have changed much since Warband (they may have improved it since then...or not). Already then few diplomatic options were available.
4bxKfWi.jpg

Icc6nmg.jpg

Min. 6:26

They wanted to sell the concept of advanced diplomacy as a revolutionary change from Warband and we won't be able to make alliances? We know absolutely nothing about advanced diplomacy (I do not contemplate "diplomacy" as an administration of the kingdom in Bannerlord but rather the qualitative diplomatic leap that Floris brought to Warband).

I've been thinking, it's possible that alliances are a grey area where instead of having the straight-forward ability to make alliances we might have the same perks as an alliance by spending influence points.

Like, "oh Bro Lord, help me squash the Scumbag Lord! (-1000 influence)"
"Sure Awesome Lord, let's squash Scumbag Lord!"

In the last blog we have again referred to death, aging and offspring. However, there are still quite a few points that need to be clarified and how these work together with the long-awaited advanced diplomacy.

Dynasty system - lineage: It seems that Armagan in the interview that the wccftech did to him in the Gamescom '18, confirmed it, but still this issue has not deepened into it ...
[...]
Chris: To keep with the emergent storytelling that featured in the previous titles. With that, will the game continue with elements of that? So, for example, with your clan can you develop it over time. For example, find a woman, marry her and have children? Also, will you be able to bring in allies to your clan as you were able to in the previous title, promote them and give them areas to control?

Armagan: You can definitely marry in the game and have children. The timeframe will probably to too limited for some things. Eighteen years is a long time in our game, so for example how feasible it will be to be able to play as your children. You will have a family system though.
[...]

Advanced Diplomacy: In various interviews over the years we are referred to the long-awaited advanced diplomacy. Even in the list of features of Bannerlord on its Steam page it is specially mentioned as a strong point of the game.

Engage in diplomacy, with meaningful consequences that impact the world. Strike historic peace deals that win land for your kingdom or free you to take on a new foe. An all-new barter system gives players flexibility in cementing deals, from marriage offers to treason pacts, offering all the options available to NPCs. Use a new influence system to direct your faction's energies or strangle the aspirations of a rival.

I'd like to know what is the server population cap size, is it like Warband's 250? I've heard rumors that it could be capped at 400 but of course that was a long time ago.
Can we do map creations for the multiplayer scene and how big can they be? Plus not to mention how mods are going to work in this, I really hope it's alot like Warband but easier to do.

I really hope they can do dev blogs like this to better explain whats to come. I must say I do love commander battles but I want to know more about big servers.  I've had alot of fun with 100+ vs 100+ battles, even 30 vs 70.

Do we know if NPCs will have agendas?

One concern I have is that randomly generated NPCs have a tendency to become same-y after a while.  Akadan/Aldric/Ubold the Miller/Baker/Shark... who can tell the difference?  Eventually they just become faceless resources that generate soldiers for me, the better the relationship number the better the soldiers.

Probably best if this was left to mods, but here are two examples of NPC agendas/motivation that I would find interesting:
- NPC has strong feelings about a particular faction.  Maybe they hate the Vlandians; and if you do quests for Vlandian lords and improve relations with them the NPC is more reluctant to hire troops to you (cost goes up).  If you join Vlandia, maybe they outright refuse to hire anyone to you.  Conversely, perhaps an NPC loves Sturgia, and if you've fought for them a few times they have a %change to give you troops for free -- 'for fighting the good fight'.  I think I would remember that NPC when I finally become a lord or king.

- NPC wants to gain control of a particular town, and to do that he needs all his competitor NPCs in the town weakened or removed.  I think something like this may already be in the plans for Bannerlord, since the quests we saw in the Gamescom demo (defend someone accused of a crime) had a stage where an NPC tries to sway us to work for them against the NPC that originally hired us.  This could be interesting in that you can play a role in setting up a criminal lord.  Even better would be if we can help an NPC take over multiple towns, becoming a true boss of a multi-town criminal empire.

This sort of NPC would be far more memorable in each playthrough, and I think I'd get more attached to them and immersed in the world, than an endless sea of Akadans the Bold/Snake/Miller/Tailor/Ironmonger.

84Slashes said:
Do we know if NPCs will have agendas?

One concern I have is that randomly generated NPCs have a tendency to become same-y after a while.  Akadan/Aldric/Ubold the Miller/Baker/Shark... who can tell the difference?  Eventually they just become faceless resources that generate soldiers for me, the better the relationship number the better the soldiers.

Probably best if this was left to mods, but here are two examples of NPC agendas/motivation that I would find interesting:
- NPC has strong feelings about a particular faction.  Maybe they hate the Vlandians; and if you do quests for Vlandian lords and improve relations with them the NPC is more reluctant to hire troops to you (cost goes up).  If you join Vlandia, maybe they outright refuse to hire anyone to you.  Conversely, perhaps an NPC loves Sturgia, and if you've fought for them a few times they have a %change to give you troops for free -- 'for fighting the good fight'.  I think I would remember that NPC when I finally become a lord or king.

- NPC wants to gain control of a particular town, and to do that he needs all his competitor NPCs in the town weakened or removed.  I think something like this may already be in the plans for Bannerlord, since the quests we saw in the Gamescom demo (defend someone accused of a crime) had a stage where an NPC tries to sway us to work for them against the NPC that originally hired us.  This could be interesting in that you can play a role in setting up a criminal lord.  Even better would be if we can help an NPC take over multiple towns, becoming a true boss of a multi-town criminal empire.

This sort of NPC would be far more memorable in each playthrough, and I think I'd get more attached to them and immersed in the world, than an endless sea of Akadans the Bold/Snake/Miller/Tailor/Ironmonger.

Agenda as such, I do not think we have information outlining anything like that in this regard. Apart from that, what you are commenting on next could be placed under the heading of diplomacy and criminal operations, of which we unfortunately have very little information in turn.

NPC has strong feelings about a particular faction.  Maybe they hate the Vlandians; and if you do quests for Vlandian lords and improve relations with them the NPC is more reluctant to hire troops to you (cost goes up).  If you join Vlandia, maybe they outright refuse to hire anyone to you.  Conversely, perhaps an NPC loves Sturgia, and if you've fought for them a few times they have a %change to give you troops for free -- 'for fighting the good fight'.  I think I would remember that NPC when I finally become a lord or king.

Do babies born hating a random country? When I was born I hate the Ukraine country. /s

This is a shallow way to add in personality to NPC. I can't recall any sort of example where people just randomly hate a random country, or race, without any sort of reason, even if stupid.

Lolbash said:
Do babies born hating a random country? [...]
This is a shallow way to add in personality to NPC. [...]

NPCs wouldn't be children though but fully fledged out adults with their own life stories, why couldn't they have some randomly generated reason for hating them like *Sturgia razed my village and murdered my family*?

It's also a rather shallow look at the idea. I've seen people mocking it when NPCs give you their life stories the moment they meet you, most of the time you will see effects before you learn reasons behind certain behaviour. The dude hates Vlandians, there's a story behind it, maybe they killed his father, maybe everyone in the village knows that Vlandians eat children, but it's of no interest to a random stranger that wants to round up bunch of peasants and take them off on an adventure. That person just needs to know that they can **** right off if they're known for being friendly with Vlandians. Not everything has to be explicitly stated, especially in games like M&B in which lots of storytelling lies on the shoulders of players willing to roleplay a bit.

EDIT: ninja'd

Can the developers explain why theres no Nords in the game? Don't say the sturgians are nords, they look nothing like vikings at all

Because by their own (poorly) established timeline the Nords aren't a major force until they invaded after the fall of Calradian Empire. They still remain a part of Sturgia, namely the nobility and ruling class from the looks of it, as well as will be present as mercenaries and I'm quite certain the Sea Raiders will make a return as well, cause it's not M&B without drinking from skulls.

It's quite interesting because, as we can assume Sturgians are in a way ancestors to Vaegirs, it means that later the Nord invasion will be stopped by Nords that arrived earlier and got integrated with people native to Calradia.

That is an interesting theory, but then you have to explain why suddenly the native Nords and Vaegirs split up, and adopt completely different tactics(ie why only Nords have round shields and focus on heavy infantry, Vaegirs focus on archery and bring kite shields to battle). I reckon the lore of Warband will be retconned some point in the future and be written by more expert writers.

The Vaegirs come from Sturgia which seems to be people native to Calradia ruled by Nords (it kinda ties in with what Matheld says about Nords receiving the coastal lands in exchange for manning the Imperial ships). Then the Nords in their homeland hear about fall of the Calradian Empire and Gundig leads a fresh invasion that is eventually stopped by Vaegirs by the Rivacheg.

Of course that's what canon to Warband, in Bannerlord player can prevent fall of Empire altogether (probably) or unite Calradia before everyone else has a chance to carve a part for themselves and lead to the Native situation.

Back
Top Bottom