What do you guys think about that characters are able to walk/run while attacking on foot?

Able to move(walk/run or maybe turn too?) while attacking, it should be stay? or Changed?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Well you dont have to make it the most realistic, I did notice that against heavy armor, altough i did damage with my sword it wasnt much... So it does have that realistic feel.

But you know the funny thing is, this games very strong point are the physics, all momentum is calculated, when you run towards the javelin deals more damage etc, the horses have momentum etc. But foot soldiers dont have any physics at all in their movement. they just move... Try to move around like the characters in the game swining a stick while running around like that haha.

Lord of the rings isnt realistic either, but sometimes the battles felt believeable.
Horses have momentum but the game's collision is borked so they do next to nothing when crashing into enemies. Just makes the target kind of slide off to the side with maybe a few points of damage taken.

I guess because d its a game, it doesnt deal much damage, but ive been knocked over and kill plenty of times by horses impact. Ofcourse a footsoldier wont do that, but it could be a build in bash, like a shield bash, nothing crazy.
But then you would feel the mass of footsoldiers too.

I guess because d its a game, it doesnt deal much damage, but ive been knocked over and kill plenty of times by horses impact. Ofcourse a footsoldier wont do that, but it could be a build in bash, like a shield bash, nothing crazy.
But then you would feel the mass of footsoldiers too.
Killed by the horse impact or from the rider hitting you with weapon?

At that point its mostly the surrounding enemies.
If i get hit by the horse, the rider most likely missed.
The damage getting hit by horse is like 10 damage online i believe.

I really like the slowdown while winding up and the lunge while releasing your attack in warhammer vermintide.

But i don't see this having a place in bannerlord. Something like this needs to be considered at the start of a games development, not in early access.

Great idea about momentum
My character is beginning to get a lot of athletics skill with 5 focus point and I can dance around any soldier now... it feels like im superman. But its a game, thats what people want. I, on the other hand, want as much realism as possible, even if people find it boring.

Momentum is actually a great idea- why is it not already part of the game? I have done small number of re-enactments and while I actually find there can be quite a bit of movement in an attack- if you lunge and your opponent steps back... either you longer again or they counter-attack and you block but unless you made a really bad lunge it is easier to again sidestep or fall back.

I am trying to imagine the downsides of momentum with a full combat line of bots, can't see many. On MP- for sure momentum would make timing quite a bit more difficult but also rewarding skill.

Funny enough, I did think a bit about M&B's movement+attack system today while doing some animation work. It does feel... strange looking at the animations for attacking (and blocking), especially if you've had any exposure to martial arts or combat sports. I think the attacks most indicative of this would be the unarmed punches, which don't even look like punches; watching 2 people go at it unarmed ingame is like watching a slapping competition. Attacks without the proper lower body form just do not work.

If we were to do attacks with proper footwork and stances, we would then need some form of lung/sidestep/backstep mechanics. If we did have those mechanics, then we would need more elaborate and precise attacks (possibly even attack chains) to counter those abilities. If we did all that, then this game would in essence become pseudo For Honor (weird setting/story and all).

However, M&B is not For Honor, it is M&B. The combat works, and works well for the game.
Could it be improved? Yes.
Should it be improved? Yes.
Should it be rebuilt to be more accurate to reality? No. It's fairly good, and other things need priority.

I'd be onboard with a step system. Rather than running circles around our enemies, it might feel quite rewarding to actually sidestep overhead strikes, lunge inside the reach of longer weapons, so forth. The only issue is range. It might be easily exploitable against missiles; more than it should be.

I'd be onboard with a step system. Rather than running circles around our enemies, it might feel quite rewarding to actually sidestep overhead strikes, lunge inside the reach of longer weapons, so forth. The only issue is range. It might be easily exploitable against missiles; more than it should be.

Imagine trying to sidestep somebody using a pike with 300+ range lol...

One guy made a thread about movement and swing speed in Bannerlord that's a bit about saying the same. Swing speed is slow but movement speed is high. From realistic point of view you can move while hitting, even run while swinging but you can't keep following a swing after swing while running. But combat is all about moving (rapidly more then often) and placing yourself in optimal position to land a hit or parry/block. People who've done martial arts know this. How much and how agile you are depends on what kind of protective gear and weapon/s you use.

One guy made a thread about movement and swing speed in Bannerlord that's a bit about saying the same. Swing speed is slow but movement speed is high. From realistic point of view you can move while hitting, even run while swinging but you can't keep following a swing after swing while running. But combat is all about moving (rapidly more then often) and placing yourself in optimal position to land a hit or parry/block. People who've done martial arts know this. How much and how agile you are depends on what kind of protective gear and weapon/s you use.
But it's not literally just walking while swinging or thrust, or any moves that for attack. It's a footwork, a stepping (mostly once) to make proper strike.

But it's not literally just walking while swinging or thrust, or any moves that for attack. It's a footwork, a stepping (mostly once) to make proper strike.
I don't know if I'm missing your point or did you miss mine but I think we might agree here. You can't make effective hits while speeding. Did you mean that? If you want to make flurries your movement speed can't be too fast and power swings require grounding except that one you can make charging. And so on.

I've seen guys knock their opponent out while they were backing away from him plenty of times in the UFC. Also, the in-game "footwork" movement replicates real fighters' movements to dodge and duck with their feet planted.

I've seen guys knock their opponent out while they were backing away from him plenty of times in the UFC. Also, the in-game "footwork" movement replicates real fighters' movements to dodge and duck with their feet planted.
That happens when you plant your fist in right place in right time, mostly when opponent dives in your fist. That can happen with weapons too when opponent literally impales himself by charging in your sword. But you get most pressure / cm2 by putting your body behind your punch in correct alignment. Even weaker guys can knockout bigger opponents with correct timing and good technique.

Key to victory is movement for sure and maintaining the right distance and angle to your opponent where you can hit him but he can't hit you. Simulating that in this kind of game is pretty much impossible in realistic way. But I think WotR had it done quite nicely. If you swing your movement speed slows down. Lighter classes are faster but more fragile etc.

Last edited:
That happens when you plant your fist in right place in right time, mostly when opponent dives in your fist. That can happen with weapons too when opponent literally impales himself by charging in your sword. But you get most pressure / cm2 by putting your body behind your punch in correct alignment. Even weaker guys can knockout bigger opponents with correct timing and good technique.
+1

I don't know if I'm missing your point or did you miss mine but I think we might agree here. You can't make effective hits while speeding. Did you mean that? If you want to make flurries your movement speed can't be too fast and power swings require grounding except that one you can make charging. And so on.
I think this would helps to understand what we talking about

Back
Top Bottom