SP Fantasy [WB] A Game of Thrones

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to study the month name history in real life and then make their Westeros equivalents.
For example:

January is named after the Roman God Janus,equivalent to the Father.So it is the Month of the Father.

February was named after the Latin term februum, which means purification.We can call it Month of the Blessed,after Baelor,who purificated himself.

March is named after Mars,in ancient rome.His westerosi equivalent is The Warrior.So we have Month of the Warrior

April means "to open" and after Wikipedia it meant the opening of the flowers ore such.We can call it Month of the Flowers

May is named after goddess Maia.Goddess of fertility.We can call it Month of the Mother.

June is named after the Roman Goddess Juno,equivalent of the Crone.We can call it Month of the Crone.

July is named after Julius Caesar.His equivalent is Aegon the Conqueror,so we can call it Month of the Conqueror.

August is named after Caesar Augustus.I can't find a Targaryen King magnificent enough,but I think Balerion the black dread deserves a month+August is the hottest month of the year,so a dragon fits.Month of the Dragon.

September can be called Month of the Seven.Obvious.

October is when the winter starts,and the Stranger represents the coming death.We can call it Month of the Stranger.

November is hard winter,but not the worst,so it can be Month of the Wight.

December is deep winter so we can call it Month of the Others.

We have:
01-Month of The Father
02-Month of The Blessed
03-Month of The Warrior
04-Month of the Flowers
05-Month of The Mother
06-Month of The Crone
07-Month of The Conqueror
08-Month of The Dragon
09-Month of The Seven
10-Month of The Stranger
11-Month of the Wight
12-Month of The Others

I am actually really looking forward to this mod because i just got back into mount and blade because im waiting for more games to come out and i just started reading GoT for school and its a very well written story.

Best of luck, and its nice to see that your actively working on this!
Looks great!

I'm following this mod for quite a time now, and I love it! Keep up the good work guys! I really love the detail and quality of the stuff you make. I really love it, and it is probably because of you guys I'm going to take M&B with me when I move out :razz:

For the months: the question is if their calendar looks like ours (twelve months, about 30 days in a month), since their seasons are different too. But I like Thane's and Othurins idea's.

Sorry if my English is a little weird, I'm from Holland :wink:

Thane, as much as I like your concept, there is one slight problem with some of the names: in Westeros, months never go in rhytm with the season  :wink:

Shimmler said:
Thane, as much as I like your concept, there is one slight problem with some of the names: in Westeros, months never go in rhytm with the season  :wink:
Yes,you're right.We can,however,make it like historical events or gods:
Month of the First Men(To honor the First Men,The First Month of a year is dedicated to them)
Month of the Old Gods(To honor the Gods of The First men,,a month was named after them)
Month of the Andals(To honor the Arrival of the Andals,a month was named after them)
Month of the Father(To honor the Gods of the Andals,the following months were named after them)
Month of the Smith
Month of the Warrior
Month of the Maid
Month of the Mother
Month of the Crone
Month of the Rhoynar(To honor the arrival of the Rhoynar House Martell,a month was named after them)
Month of Aegon(To honor the landing of Aegon the Conqueror,a month was named after him)

I liked the names of the first one better, although the second ones probably make more sense. I don't know if the southrons would call it the same as the first men, they probably wouldn't honour the old gods and such but making 2 month setups depending on where you start is probably impossible/unnecessary

ThaneWulfgharn said:
I think to study the month name history in real life and then make their Westeros equivalents.
For example:

January is named after the Roman God Janus,equivalent to the Father.So it is the Month of the Father.

February was named after the Latin term februum, which means purification.We can call it Month of the Blessed,after Baelor,who purificated himself.

March is named after Mars,in ancient rome.His westerosi equivalent is The Warrior.So we have Month of the Warrior

April means "to open" and after Wikipedia it meant the opening of the flowers ore such.We can call it Month of the Flowers

May is named after goddess Maia.Goddess of fertility.We can call it Month of the Mother.

June is named after the Roman Goddess Juno,equivalent of the Crone.We can call it Month of the Crone.

July is named after Julius Caesar.His equivalent is Aegon the Conqueror,so we can call it Month of the Conqueror.

August is named after Caesar Augustus.I can't find a Targaryen King magnificent enough,but I think Balerion the black dread deserves a month+August is the hottest month of the year,so a dragon fits.Month of the Dragon.

September can be called Month of the Seven.Obvious.

October is when the winter starts,and the Stranger represents the coming death.We can call it Month of the Stranger.

November is hard winter,but not the worst,so it can be Month of the Wight.

December is deep winter so we can call it Month of the Others.

We have:
01-Month of The Father
02-Month of The Blessed
03-Month of The Warrior
04-Month of the Flowers
05-Month of The Mother
06-Month of The Crone
07-Month of The Conqueror
08-Month of The Dragon
09-Month of The Seven
10-Month of The Stranger
11-Month of the Wight
12-Month of The Others

Not bad but I'd say Juno is much more like The Mother than like The Crone, and The Mother should be June. You could use The Crone for October (the year gets old), and The Stranger for December (when the year dies). May could be The Maid and November the Smith. This way all the Seven have their month and there are less references to the seasons.

Well... what about:

First month/moon of
Second month of
Third month of...

and so on

Edit: we gave months names, because they were very different and each was important for something different. In westeros months does not seem to matter that much, so the most obvious choice is to just give them numbers. I think G. Martin reffers to them similarly.

Lazyman said:
Hot weather is a nonsensical reason for not wearing armour , its not as if Dorne is the Sahara . If the are indeed a combination of Muslim Spain/Middle East (whatever, dont care) , both these regions had historically fielded massive quantities of cavalry covered in head to toe in armour .

Mhm, your right about that but my point still stays, btw im sure Middle Aastern knights wore Lamellar armour instead of Plate. anyway Dornishmen (Based on books) do prefer lighter armour when compared to any other Westerosi knight, also spears instead of swords, bright coloured clothing to keep the heat off and etc. Besides, its all just my opinion, but i think all this would add more diversity to the families, Southerners more nimble when Northerners wearing better armour and thus getting less damage on them and so on.

P.S Dorne may not be Sahara but it does have a desert

Not sure if this has been covered but it would be cool if you could select a pre made character as an example King Stannis Baratheon and be a faction leader from the get go.. Using this feature you could create mini quest/ rewards.. This would make the game feel a bit different each time you replay it if you chose a different starting faction.

If I started as King Stannis Baratheon
I would have a plot line that would introduce the 'lady of light' ( she could be a companion/ give an item that would give my army a moral boost) cheaper/faster boats ?

#King Robb Stark
Would have a plot line that would give you a dire wolf mount that would have increased health, speed (ingame and map) and cause more charge damage ? ( could introduce wintertime penalty, decreased moral/ food intake increase for all factions apart from the Starks)

#Lord Tywin Lannister
Faction would have 15% increase property prosperity / more traders.. would take less time to train up Elite units. A plot line that would reward you with a pot of gold

# Prince Oberyn Martell 
Recruiting from towns/castle would be increased by 10% due to population size..starting army size limit increase too.

#Lord Edmure
Tully Archer units would have increased stats from the rest... attacking castles and towns would be 30% faster..  high tactics starting skill

#House Greyjoy of Pyke 
Free boats.. ships travel faster... less penalties for being at sea.. more loot from raiding villages.. Foraging / Fishing skill increase (if in mod) ?

#Lord Yohn Royce 
Villages would take 10% longer to get raided / Castles 30%/ Towns 50%.. increase spotting skills ...

#Lord Mace Tyrell 
Increase starting army size... takes less time to train elite troops..5% increase property prosperity ..

Faction relations should also be in-line with the story if I started as a pre made character. House Greyjoy of Pyke would be very aggressive towards House Stark... Its a shame that your not letting people play as The Nights Watch or the Wildlings.

Each faction could have negatives too.. The starks could get a negative % to recruiting due to enforcing the nightswatch.. This could be random monthly triggers or something.

These are just ideas that popped into my head, I don;t know a lot about the Game of thrones story at the moment..

Pantora said:
Not sure if this has been covered but it would be cool if you could select a pre made character as an example King Stannis Baratheon and be a faction leader from the get go.. Using this feature you could create mini quest/ rewards.. This would make the game feel a bit different each time you replay it if you chose a different starting faction.

If I started as King Stannis Baratheon
I would have a plot line that would introduce the 'lady of light' ( she could be a companion/ give an item that would give my army a moral boost) cheaper/faster boats ?

#King Robb Stark
Would have a plot line that would give you a dire wolf mount that would have increased health, speed (ingame and map) and cause more charge damage ? ( could introduce wintertime penalty, decreased moral/ food intake increase for all factions apart from the Starks)

#Lord Tywin Lannister
Faction would have 15% increase property prosperity / more traders.. would take less time to train up Elite units. A plot line that would reward you with a pot of gold

# Prince Oberyn Martell 
Recruiting from towns/castle would be increased by 10% due to population size..starting army size limit increase too.

#Lord Edmure
Tully Archer units would have increased stats from the rest... attacking castles and towns would be 30% faster..  high tactics starting skill

#House Greyjoy of Pyke 
Free boats.. ships travel faster... less penalties for being at sea.. more loot from raiding villages.. Foraging / Fishing skill increase (if in mod) ?

#Lord Yohn Royce 
Villages would take 10% longer to get raided / Castles 30%/ Towns 50%.. increase spotting skills ...

#Lord Mace Tyrell 
Increase starting army size... takes less time to train elite troops..5% increase property prosperity ..

Faction relations should also be in-line with the story if I started as a pre made character. House Greyjoy of Pyke would be very aggressive towards House Stark... Its a shame that your not letting people play as The Nights Watch or the Wildlings.

Each faction could have negatives too.. The starks could get a negative % to recruiting due to enforcing the nightswatch.. This could be random monthly triggers or something.

These are just ideas that popped into my head, I don;t know a lot about the Game of thrones story at the moment..

I'm pretty sure Dorne is the least populous kingdom

Can you add a feature where the player starts as a NPC.I.E. the character creation screen starts with a window:
Choose Starting Difficulty:
Hard(Commoner)->This is the normal M&B start,where you create a character.
Slightly Hard(NPC)->Here you can be one other NPC characters "not present" in the game.I.E.Petyr Baelish,Varys,Pycelle and other very minor characters that don't even appear as companions.
Medium(Lord)->Here you choose a faction and may start as ANY vassal of that faction
Easy(King)->Here you start as one of the Faction Rulers

TheIceCold said:
Lazyman said:
Hot weather is a nonsensical reason for not wearing armour , its not as if Dorne is the Sahara . If the are indeed a combination of Muslim Spain/Middle East (whatever, dont care) , both these regions had historically fielded massive quantities of cavalry covered in head to toe in armour .

Mhm, your right about that but my point still stays, btw im sure Middle Aastern knights wore Lamellar armour instead of Plate. anyway Dornishmen (Based on books) do prefer lighter armour when compared to any other Westerosi knight, also spears instead of swords, bright coloured clothing to keep the heat off and etc. Besides, its all just my opinion, but i think all this would add more diversity to the families, Southerners more nimble when Northerners wearing better armour and thus getting less damage on them and so on.

P.S Dorne may not be Sahara but it does have a desert

The very richest could come with both Mail and lamellar (if they could afford it, keep that in mind), from the 14th cent. onwards, Mail was reinforced with plate , further east, Brigandines were the norm .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom