Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info.

This is why I say that I doubt the protests will work, that I doubt the government will be swayed by external forces and ultimately that I doubt that Turkey is truly as forward as we would all like.

Good luck to those of you posting here that are near any conflict, by the way. I may be advocating violence here but I do hope that as many civilians are alright as is possible.

Austupaio said:
I was alluding to Afghanistan. Once a state is in turmoil, it isn't as difficult for outside agitators to form a faction to take up the roles of government.
For instance the religio-nationalist group the Taliban, who then let the Al-Qaeda cement itself in Afghanistan and the tribal areas of Pakistan.
Keep in mind the Taliban and Al-Qaeda are very few in number, armaments and external support. They're not comparable to the Turkish government in terms of destructive power.
When the west moved into afghanistan, of the Talibans estimated 45,000 fighters only 14,000 were native afghans. The Taliban received military support from Pakistan and financial support from Saudi Arabia.
If Turkey erupts into civil war as you suggest then its going to not only likely to see horrific sectarian violence within Turkey but would also probably have a devastating effect on other conflicts within the middle east. God knows what would happen within Turkish kurdistan, and I'd be bloody surprised if conflict there didn't spill out into other kurdish regions.

GA-L0.png

"We can gather a million people where the opposition gathers 100.000 but we have no such intention."

He thinks it is about the opposition and the people have lost again.

Hey, if nothing else, if you shot at them they might realise this is a protest against the government, not just some party's political stunt. :lol:

Goker said:
GA-L0.png

"We can gather a million people where the opposition gathers 100.000 but we have no such intention."

I have never seen anyone protesting openly against the people that do not want the trees to be cut down. Even if there are, they are not capable of understanding democracy.

It's not really a protest against government in its essence. I think It's more a like a protest against enemies of Ataturk's Turkey.

Austupaio said:
Hey, if nothing else, if you shot at them they might realise this is a protest against the government, not just some party's political stunt. :lol:

thats enough out of you boy

I'm digging the dupe. Feel free to address the posts I've made in the last two pages instead of being silly.

P.S, that was obviously in jest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/01/us-turkey-protests-idUSBRE94U0J920130601 said:
Erdogan vowed to push ahead with the redevelopment of the city's central Taksim Square, a plan which triggered the demonstrations, and said the issue was being used as an excuse to stoke tensions.

Police fired teargas and water cannon to prevent crowds of protesters chanting "unite against fascism" and "government resign" from reaching Taksim, where hundreds were injured in clashes on Friday.

Protesters also clashed with police in the Besiktas neighborhood after walking across a road bridge over the Bosphorus in another apparent attempt to reach the square.

"Every four years we hold elections and this nation makes its choice," Erdogan said in a speech broadcast on television.

"Those who have a problem with government's policies can express their opinions within the framework of law and democracy ... I am asking the protesters to immediately end these actions," he said.

The protest at Taksim's Gezi Park started late on Monday after trees were torn up under the redevelopment plan, but has widened into a broader demonstration against Erdogan and his Islamist-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP).

Erdogan has overseen a transformation in Turkey during his decade in power, turning its economy from crisis-prone into Europe's fastest-growing, and remains by far the country's most popular politician.

pentagathus said:
When are you guys next due for an election?

Street Istiklal, a few mins ago.
431959_10151637817444674_2145381852_n.jpg

575426_480782538672306_683756610_n.jpg
Differences between CNN and CNNTURK. :/

Goker said:
GA-L0.png

and this, 17th of January

945393_480779905339236_673709650_n.jpg

"Our scramble is, building a civilization that knows the tree and ambient as well as saint."

ancalimon said:
It's either that or elections are somehow rigged.
It wouldn't be hard

'Votes were cast on paper ballots that were put into a plastic container.'
'Voting envelopes were made larger and had different colors for each matter that was being voted upon.'
'Citizens were able to vote without official identification as long as they could provide their identity number.'

Kobrag said:
Dupe? The guy is five days old?
Look at his posts. :lol:

Goker said:
GA-L0.png

Well if the opposition tried to use the protestors for their cause it would be a huge mistake, the government could easily justify the violence and excessive force by law enforcement against the protestors.
I wonder when will someone from the EU actually ask: "wtf are you doing?"

Not sure the EU can handle another semi-poor country. Especially if there's any chance UKIP will actually get it's way.

Fortunately the UK electoral system practically blocks small parties from becoming powerful. :razz:

If you are talking about the referendum, it's close, bu the majority see the EU as advantageous.
Cheaper holidays...higher wages, shorter hours, cheaper imports etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom