MP [Suggestion] Allow First Person FOV higher than 100

Users who are viewing this thread

First person view in Bannerlord feels bad. Going into the game files and altering the FOV to 130 feels much better, particularly shields.
I suggest you increase the maximum first person FOV.

Here are some pictures of me doing a downward block with a round shield in the practice arena. For reference I play at 1920x1080.

100 FOV:

130 FOV:

If anyone wants to adjust their FOV to try it out they can do so by navigating to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs\BannerlordConfig
Change FirstPersonFov=100 to whatever FOV you want, ie. FirstPersonFov=130, and save the file.
It'll stay at that FOV until you mess with the slider in-game or edit the file.

I don't know if those videos quite capture the feel, but I figured I'd include them.

this looks horrible idk why people even play mb in first person it never was meant to
I've been playing since the original M&B beta and have always played first person perspective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be played that way. That's like saying the only way to play Mass Effect is Male Shepard Soldier.
I play in first person because I think it's more exciting. I edited my FOV for two reasons: first, shields obscure too much of my view, and second, freelook doesn't work in first person mode. I consider those to be overly detrimental when playing against players who use third person perspective.
Whether 130 is the FOV I'm going to settle on, I don't know. But it definitely feels better than 100.

I've been playing since the original M&B beta and have always played first person perspective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be played that way. That's like saying the only way to play Mass Effect is Male Shepard Soldier.
I play in first person because I think it's more exciting. I edited my FOV for two reasons: first, shields obscure too much of my view, and second, freelook doesn't work in first person mode. I consider those to be overly detrimental when playing against players who use third person perspective.
Whether 130 is the FOV I'm going to settle on, I don't know. But it definitely feels better than 100.
well it wouldnt be too hard to extent the public option

They are overly detrimental , which is why the game is meant to be played on third person. duh

CIt’s not too bad at 100 without shields but with a shield it’s impossible to see what’s happening and it makes 0 ****ing sense because no one ever walked around with their shield blocking their vision like that.

Would like to see the suggestion by @Terco_Viejo to make the shields more fluid so I can move them quickly up if I need to but for the most part it lets me see where I’m going.

Would like to see the suggestion by @Terco_Viejo to make the shields more fluid so I can move them quickly up if I need to but for the most part it lets me see where I’m going.
I couldn't find that suggestion (lost to the beta forums perhaps) but it sounds like how shields functioned in Warband, which was good. Unfortunately it seems to me that there's no easy fix, especially since they've removed the invisible shield skill in favor of precision hitboxes. Being able to freely move your shield in a more fluid way would likely interfere with the directional shield blocking they've chosen to implement. I definitely find myself side blocking to the left so that I can see my opponent, then turning my shield in the direction of their attack more often than choosing the optimal block.
Perhaps if they added a transparency to shields in first person that would alleviate the issue.

Personally I have selected a maximum of 100 for the FOV; I guess it's a matter of taste. IMO 130 is a bit too much because the bull's-eye effect is too present. I'm sure 130 would work in a VR environment, but I'd love to try it out with my "little tweak". I feel there is a lot of potential in the blocking system that Taleworlds has implemented; the problem (as I see it) is that they don't want to apply it to ALL its potential. It is also true that this would increase the "difficulty" a little (for me great). I don't know if the users of the "autoblock" would approve of something so anti-casual.

@Mabons & @Faranox You all can try it directly here. I posted this little tweak in the mod section.

Back
Top Bottom