So, What would Help to Restore Your Faith in TaleWorlds?

So,What would Restore Your Faith in TaleWorlds?

• A proper roadmap - flexible but also detailed

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • A weekly development update - detailing what is being worked on and how things are going

Votes: 37 45.7%
  • A community manager who isn't harder to spot than a yeti in a snow storm would help

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • They should just keeping working on 'order of battle' + 'battle terrain system' - get them out fast

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Increased honesty and openness with the community - explain some of the difficulties they've had

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • I will settle for a just few days on the TW yacht with free cocaine and supermodels

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay cool. Anyway, any idea on when you/TW might update us on some upcoming patches or what you are working on? Would you consider updating us more regularly on Reddit or Twitter rather then or in conjunction with here?

I haven't lost faith, and I do understand Taleworlds must have tremendous difficulty finding and fixing bugs on such an ambitions project that is Bannerlord.

But maybe a screenshot or two every so often displaying the new scenes from the battle terrain system would help other players?

Anyway, any idea on when you/TW might update us on some upcoming patches or what you are working on?
The general approach is to release patches as soon as they are ready - which means that no critical issues remain. If we are certain that a patch is not coming in a given week, I believe Dejan does share that in the patch note sticky. I don't think we will make announcements for what is not happening across a broad range of platforms. However, I do believe when a patch is released Forums, Steam, Twitter and possibly other social media pages are already updated accordingly.
Don't listen to him, I'm a humble forum peasant oppressed by a developer! Help!
♥️

Un
The general approach is to release patches as soon as they are ready - which means that no critical issues remain. If we are certain that a patch is not coming in a given week, I believe Dejan does share that in the patch note sticky. I don't think we will make announcements for what is not happening across a broad range of platforms. However, I do believe when a patch is released Forums, Steam, Twitter and possibly other social media pages are already updated accordingly.
Understood. Although you can see this isn't really an approach people are happy with.

The community would prefer snippets of what is being worked on. If weekly is too much then every fortnight perhaps.

Prioritising what and where to post needs to be looked at. For example, ideally we would see a Twitter/Reddit post of some code, 3D models, concept sketches etc.. that you're working on now, rather then you talking to a videogame Karen (me).

Prioritising what and where to post needs to be looked at. For example, ideally we would see a Twitter/Reddit post of some code, 3D models, concept sketches etc.. that you're working on now, rather then you talking to a videogame Karen (me).
Developers are not obligated to partake in the community outreach and, indeed, should not try to make major announcements (leaks?) on their own. There are dedicated marketing and community efforts for this (Blogs, Patch Topics, Videos, Tweets, etc.).

Developers that have the time, energy and interest to do so are encouraged to engage with the community to explain features or discuss ideas / requests (but not make promises about future content / releases). There are a number that do so here and on the modding forums and discord.

Developers are not obligated to partake in the community outreach and, indeed, should not try to make major announcements (leaks?) on their own. There are dedicated marketing and community efforts for this (Blogs, Patch Topics, Videos, Tweets, etc.).

Developers that have the time, energy and interest to do so are encouraged to engage with the community to explain features or discuss ideas / requests (but not make promises about future content / releases). There are a number that do so here and on the modding forums and discord.
That makes sense. Appreciate you hoping on to answer questions. I guess the problem is with your company's marketing and communications department.

The issue isn't with the lack of tweets that TW post, it's the content. It's almost entirely reposts of other people's videos, photos and then some weekly mythology/historical thread that no one cares about.

If development is slow on a product (for valid reasons I am sure) then it would be beneficial to try keep your consumers happy in other ways. Show them progress, regardless how big or small.

As you stated, this isn't your department and not your problem. But your marketing department needs shape up a bit, people obviously aren't happy.

Ultimately, all departments are tied together in a common effort. (F.e. you can only market what is in some sense "ready".) I personally think that there has been quite a bit of progress over time, however, we can and should aspire to improve further. One thing to consider as well is that there has been a lot of community feedback over changed or dropped features/content - which is understandable but also encourages a more careful communication.

I have never lost faith in TW.
+1
This poll starts from a false premise, assuming everyone thinks like its creator.

I don't believe I've seen any genuinely new suggestions in months, just repeats of those TW has already been barraged with. Rather than reading the same things rewritten, I'd prefer the Devs worked on the game, which happens to be their real job. Why should they pander to a vocal and toxic minority on this forum? We're a distraction.

Fortunately, some Devs still donate their free time after work, engaging with modders on Discord where contacts remain civil.

+1

Ultimately, all departments are tied together in a common effort. (F.e. you can only market what is in some sense "ready".) I personally think that there has been quite a bit of progress over time, however, we can and should aspire to improve further. One thing to consider as well is that there has been a lot of community feedback over changed or dropped features/content - which is understandable but also encourages a more careful communication.
I remember YouTube videos coming out about the drama on this forum between the Devs and the community so I can see your point, though I don't necessarily agree with it fully.

I believe the approach of not saying or showing anything about a future patch until release day is holding your cards way to tight to your chest and frankly, it's lazy marketing.

I'm not trying to pick a fight btw. Hope it doesn't come across like I am.

But what is the disadvantage of letting people know situation of upcoming patches and features? Developers or Community Managers can say for example: "We're planning to release next beta patch in 10th December if it's ready at the time, this patch will include Battle Terrain System, Banners etc. if everything goes according to plan, we're also currently working on War/Peace options, Cutscenes."

This kind of statement would easily satisfy the fanbase who demand roadmap and wouldn't bind you with anything. If patch is not released at the 10th December, that wouldn't be a problem for players since developers didn't make any exact promises. Fanbase only wants some transparency regarding situation of the game and they're justified to demand it because it has been 2 years and people are still kinda clueless about what to expect in the final product.

While I understand your point of view and appreciate that you take your time to give us some answers, I still don´t think this is the right way for an EA game.

It would be enough to know which of the announced features (august blog) can be expected in the next update. Or is there a chance that some of the announced stuff can still be scrapped? This would be really bad.

A A time: The first step to genuine recovery is recognising that there is a serious problem. Not sure this is the case here. (Which is a shame).

Remember that time when Taleworlds wrote cool features in dev blogs and failed to deliver them? Remember how fun the aftermath was?

"We're working tirelessly on 2 features which we believe will dramatically increase the joy of mid and especially late game..!" ~ ..and other Fabled Developer Quotes of Deep Mythology

Remember that time when Taleworlds wrote cool features in dev blogs and failed to deliver them? Remember how fun the aftermath was?
This was pre EA release and was of course a huge mistake from TW. Could have also been prevented if TW had announced that feature XYZ won´t make it into the game. But TW choosed to ride the hype train instead of beeing honest.

If TW had announced, that upgrading villiages (example) won´t be in the game, nobody would have had the right to complain about this missing feature. But they didn´t and I´m quite sure they were aware before the EA release that this feature will never make it into the game.

So overall, you really prefer silence over information?

If TW had announced, that upgrading villiages (example) won´t be in the game, nobody would have had the right to complain about this missing feature. But they didn´t and I´m quite sure they were aware before the EA release that this feature will never make it into the game.
That feature was announced to be removed prior to the EA release of the game iirc.

My previous post on that (which i can't seem to be able to quote properly):

Anyways, let's do some forum & chill breakfast :smile:

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 10 - Materialistic Approaches 20 Mar 2015
  • This blog mainly talks about the negotiation panel we have. This panel is implemented, but features mentioned in this blog were not. Terms like peace treay, ransom prisoner, kingdom rank(tbh, this is what lacks in kingdom system, not negotiation/diplomacy),
  • and the most important

At least I have never seen NPC doing that by now.
  • Players can barter for peace with minor factions & kingdoms when they are not in a kingdom. Kingdom-To-Kingdom diplomacy is using the kingdom decision system.
  • Prisoners can be ransomed through barter, they can be sold off or donated, the AI also uses notifications to make offers to players in this regard.
  • The sandbox AI can and does use the barter system to interact with other AI clans within a certain range of themselves (iirc regarding the range part).
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context 11 Aug 2015

• Implementation of the delopyment part depends on how you define "placed freely", or more specifically, "freely". Yes we can "freely" choose spots for deploying siege engine, but the spots are fixed. The second part is obviously, not implemented yet.
  • You can place siege weapons pretty much as shown prior to release f.e. here (2016) -
  • You can give orders to your troops (assuming you are the encounter leader) throughout the siege.

• Village management is not implemented. The idea of village-castle integration looks cool, and is a good simulation of fedual time, not sure if this is discarded, from video provided in this blog, this feature has been already implemented.(Discarded, see below the first entry of 2018 August-January 2019 part) Also in the same video, the building management system looks more free and controlable, though settlement attribute part has been extended.
  • As noted, this was dropped and announced as such pre-release.

• Guess I don't need to say much about the above quotes, obviously not implemented.
  • This seems appended to the previous point but let's go over the principle mechanics
    • Village icons exist and reflect (alongside the newly introduced production icons) what a particular village produces
    • While the management was shifted to the center level rather than individual villages, settlement projects exist, affect the settlement and are purchased / upgraded by AI settlement owners.
      • Some of the projects do affect the settlement icon on the world map
      • Players can affect the order & speed of project construction through the town management, investing resources and (iirc) assigning governors
      • Player decisions affect loyalty and security & can lead to serious complications (starvation / rebellions)
      • We intend to explore improvements to the current system
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time 21 Dec 2015

• If village management is not implemented, apparently all following features can not be implemented.

• This sounds GREAT! But not implemented yet
  • Economy describe in this blog is implemented, though looks weird. Like Every town can have and only have 3 workshop, owner cannot manage workshop but only pay salary and take profit. Furthermore, in current game if you appoint a companion to complete quest for you, they will simply disappear from the game with troops you give him/her, then return later with profit, this will, apparently, disrupt how the economy system work.
  • Just like above, village map icons reflect their production. This was further enhanced by production icons.
    • Of course, they do not change over time (beyond us switching things around in patches).
  • "Aiding a bandit group near to the fief of a rival noble from the same faction" - This depends a lot on how you read it.
    • Intervening in an encounter on the side of the bandits and against an allied lord // Very unlikely.
    • An issue quest that may benefit gang leaders or bandits in the area if completed // Gang leader ones exist and more are certainly possible
      • Notables like gang leaders can support clans, which should benefit the local town security/loyalty and also generate some influence for the supported clan. Lowering the power of according notables (by choosing to solve quests against them, buying up their workshops, destroying their caravans) until they are despawned would remove these benefits. The issue being that this isn't communicated to players currently.
    • Some dedicated / direct way to boost bandits in an area // Unlikely.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 14 - Destructible Merlons 1 Jul 2016
  • Mostly implemented, but one thing want to mention: defense that armor can provide in the corresponding video look ****ing better than what we have now
  • Not much to respond to here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Armies & Influences 5 Oct 2017

• Not implemented.Eventhough this feature has simpler implementation in Warband.
  • I remember discussing this with Mexxico and I think he may have talked about it on the forums as well. Very basically, it was a choice between improving the existing Army AI or pretty much reworking it entirely to introduce a new feature with uncertain outcome. After some exploration that further clarified the scope of the work, we ended up going with his recommendation - the former.
  • TLDR - This one was dropped.
Q&A with Steve Negus 18 Jan 2018

• Obviously not implemented. As far as I can remember, this is also an implemented feature of Warband. Also, in current game of Bannerlord(1.5.6), we can see that player are allowed to appoint party roles for family troops other than the one led by player, but we can not have multiple companions in one sub-troops, appointment here can also be a good feature.
  • There have already been developer posts about this noting that it's being worked on.
  • The second part wasn't discussed in the blog from what I can tell, but we are chatting about it. Personally, I don't think it's a high priority addition relative to other outstanding features.
Siege Engine 29 Mar 2018

• This may not be able to be defined as a "feature". Just want to mention here, in current version of game this is nearly imposisble to happen.
  • It's in the game.
    • Balance can happen though I don't think starvation is that rare.
    • This seems more like a suggestion / feedback than "this is missing".
Productive Enterpries 10 May 2018

• True in Bannerlord player has to enter the city and talk to NPC if we want to own a workshop. However, currently this has no effect on any other aspect of the game, the only effect is force player to enter the city. TBH, if this part continue to be like this, I'd like to say returing Workshop-purchasing-procedure to Warband fashion would be better.
  • It's in the game.
    • Workshops do affect the local economy as well.
    • This seems more like a suggestion / feedback than "this is missing".

• I don't think in current version of Bannerlord AI lords would open their own workshop. And when the pre-requisite is not implemented, of course the following part cannot be true.
  • This was clearly shifted from AI lords to AI notables.
    • As noted above notables in turn affect settlement & ai nobles.
    • Workshops also affect the local economy and thus taxes.
  • The market mechanics described here are in the game and possible in principle. AI owned workshops can go bankrupt and would then replaced by another notable's business. Admittedly, it is much easier for the player to get rid of them by simply purchasing them.
Horses 17 May 2018
  • " Players can equip their horse with different types of saddlebags, harnesses or armour, which modifies the stats of the horse. " Harnesses and armor looks like integrated into the current horse armor we have now; but saddlebags is missing, this looks good, like we may have horse to carry more ammo.
  • There are saddle bag type "harnesses" in the game, but I am not sure if players can purchase them on the market and don't think they benefit your carrying capacity (which is the effect I associate with things like "Mule Harness with Bags".)
    • Will inquire about it / suggest the effect
    • They do have an armor rating aka modify the stats of the horse / mount
Campaign Map 21 Jun 2018

• At least I'm not capable of doing what this diary describe.
  • All of this is in the game. We continue to improve the icons as well. Both for towns and villages (as noted twice already).
Q&A with Ozan Gumus 12 Jul 2018

• Currently the moral and deserter system does not look like working as expected. Also, deserter troops does not exist at all, and again, this is a feature Warband have.
  • It doesn't work like warband, yes. Ultimately, though, troops flee from battle and those that do escape in the mission go on to flee on the worldmap.
    • I believe lord party troops are exempt from this currently, because they probably were unhandled when this was first introduced. I will bring this up and see if we can have them act as "disbanding" parties such as what happens when a party leader dies of natural causes.
Questions from the Community 6 Sep 2018

• Ok now we can see that the castle-building feature is actually discarded, but I don't understand why. Guess mainly AI issue, as we can see, the current AI of Bannerlord is, unfortunately, terrible. In addition, even though village-castle transfer may be hard to handle for TW, why also discard the fief and village management system?The fief management system we have now is rigid,boring and lack depth. Hopefully both features will come back in the future, or at least the management system.
  • Pre release clarification that it won't be in the game. Not much to add.
Quests 20 Sep 2018

• I can't tell if this true in current Bannerlord or not. Somtimes looks true, other times not.
  • It's true and in the game. Issue generation is based on settlement & character conditions. Active issues negatively affect the involved location / character. Issue resolution (success or failure) have another set of effects for the involved location / character.
    • The given example with the freely flowing trade goes beyond that, though. It concerns how bandit parties are spawned - which is based on active hideouts. So that is more of an organic effect of clearing hideouts rather than of the issue / quest itself.
Kingdom Management 4 Oct 2018

• Don't think these 2 points are true in current Bannerlord.
  • You can donate influence to another clan in your kingdom.
  • You can grant a fief to another clan in your kingdom as a king.
  • You can set war stances in the diplomacy screen as a king.
Map Design 8 Nov 2018
Q&A with Gunduzhan Gunduz 29 Nov 2018

• Not sure if this can be called a feature or not, but together with the previous entry, we can see that city design does not work as expected.
  • All of this is in the game.
Settlement Projects 6 Dec 2018

• So I guess this is the reason why village management and castle-building are cancelled? Does not sounds reasonable to me. At least better than the current rigid and boring fief management system. In addition, we do have village management in Warband and village can be rewarded to lords as individual fief, did anyone here feel annoying about that?(Besides things like fighting hard to take a city but only get a village as reward.:unsure:) Furhtermore, if villages are and only are attachment of castle/city, how to achieve the saying" A vassal of a vassal is my vassal ". If there are only king and direct vassal of king exist in game, obviously this situation can not be successfully simulated.
  • Seems to cover the same point as previous village / castle fusion & village upgrade points. This was dropped pre-release and shared in the linked blog.
Q&A with Selim Cam 13 Dec 2018

• Sounds like family/education system, a feature we need but not here currently.

• I don't think we can establishing productive enterprises by now. TBH, do we have any control over workshop currently? Besides purchasing workshop and selling workshop to others?
  • It's in the game.

• I don't think we have this kind of events currently.
  • This did not make it into the game as described. Various events do affect relations, which in turn influence defection persuasion, but, to my knowledge, this does not include referencing specific events during persuasion itself.

• Not sure if this is my fault, but I have never seen this happen.
  • Defection
  • Marriage
Q&A with Bahar Sevket 17 Jan 2019

• What we have know is called "previously" here.
  • This was dropped in favor of the more interactive & worldmap-integrated system you see in the game now (and was shown pre-release at the GamesCom 2018 ).
    • The tactics were 3(?) menu options that initiated the automated construction of siege machines (much like the first iteration of siege machine building - just less micro / control for players). So we don't have "what is called previously here" and I would argue that the current system is an upgrade over both prior iterations.
    • AI still uses these tactics.

• Sounds like how companion system work in Warband, we don't have this in Bannerlord by now.
  • Issue Quests are in Bannerlord and weren't in Warband.
  • Companion complaints are in Warband and Bannerlord both.
Crime and Punishment 7 Feb 2019
  • Don't even need to read this entry, the title is sufficient to reach conclusion: Not Implemented.
  • This is in the game.
    • There is a crime rating per kingdom map faction.
    • It is increased by criminal acts (coercing villagers/caravans, etc.) and quests (including smuggling).
    • Depending on the crime rating, the player will face different consequences such as being blocked from entering settlements or having war declared on them (CR > 60).
    • Players can pay for their crimes - and must do so or face corporal punishment (of which they can die) if CR is high and they are caught.
      • Players can use influence to deal with this in the kingdom they are a noble in.
  • This was in the game from the beginning of EA.
Siege:Keep Battle11 Apr 2019

• In current version of Bannerlord, does castle produce anything? Like, anything???
  • It pretty clearly denotes that the villages produce the resources but because they are tied to castles, a loss of the castle would lead to the loss of the resources.

• This is discussed about in the most recent patches, not implemented currently, but likely to be implement in the future.
  • It's been recently released - it's in the game.
Q&A with Rabia Adiguzel 18 Apr 2019

• I don't this is true currently. What we have now is like here comes a quest, if you do not solve it, you will have penalty on prospersity/security/loyalty growth. And you can hardly tell whether the quest comes because of something is happening on the campaign map or not. A successful implementation of this is supposed to be like here comes a quest due to something happened on the campaign map, if you dont solve it, there won't be pre-defined numerical penalty on settlement attribute, but the consequence of unfinished quest will cause the settlement attribute to shrink. For example, when you did not complete a caravan escort quest when there are lots of bandits around your settlement and the merchants has already lost many caravans, the settlement won't have numeric penalty pre-defined by developer on attributes, but the lack of goods will cause the prospersity to lower. Hopefully my description is clear enough.
  • Seems like a repetition of an earlier point.
    • It's in the game.
    • Issues are generated based on world conditions.
    • Effects are split into "active issue" and "issue resolution".
      • The actions taken or not taken by players can have an organic positive effect additionally to the issue effects (f.e. clearing hideouts / conquering settlements / providing food / etc)

• I don't think we have this currently. First, we can not do anythign about village production. Second, village normally only produce one kind of goods(besides foods), which is listed on the description of village.
  • This was likely dropped alongside or at least for the same reason as other village management options. I don't think we will see something like this (it seems counter to the "micro-management" point that was shared).
Economy and Trade 25 Apr 2019
  • I have to say features related to military described in this entry does not look implemented by now.
  • I am not too sure what exactly he is referring to here. Assuming it is about "strategic resources" affecting settlements and f.e. militia - that is in the game (some effects may have shifted though). The problem is one of communicating that mechanic in the game.
Campaign Logistics 9 May 2019
  • This entry decribe features that have already been introduced at 5 Oct 2017, not implemented.
  • Many of the mechanics noted on here work as described (armies sharing food f.e.). However, it does repeat the prior point of army detachments - which were dropped as discussed above.
    • The other mechanic I can tell was shifted are tools and siege weapons. Ultimately, perks won out for enabling more advanced siege weapons and it wasn't desired to force players & AI to pursue several requirements to build them. Still, I personally think there is a place for tools to speed up the construction. Yet another suggestion to be made.
Executions 7 Jun 2019
  • I have never tried execution in Bannerlord by now. May someone tell me if this entry have anything left unimplemented?
  • Executions are in the game, but currently the chance for AI to execute the player is near 0.
Sieges: Part1 4 Jul 2019

• At least I have never seen garrison join this kind of fight.
  • AFAIK you need to be the encounter leader for the siege (depends on "sergeant score" which looks at your kingdom rank aka king/lord, who the owner of the settlement is, how many troops were brought, clan tier, etc.). If you are not, you cannot force the leader to sally out and you will fight alone.
Siege:razz:art 3 26 Sep 2019
  • AI behaviour described here is too good to be true in current version of Bannerlord.
  • In principle, this is how the AI works in sieges (3 lanes, trying to match the enemies distribution of forces, being able to automate or listen to player, etc.). Of course, sieges are not in the place both players and us would like them to be in and we continue working on rectifying that.

Last edited:
Just regular information about progress on features is what we need.

Take the battle terrain system for example... we know its in development.. so ok great, tell us how that development is going?

Give us a vague idea of progress on it? Instead all the community is given is " it will be ready when it's ready" .

To say "it will be ready when it's ready" to a community who have been waiting for 11 years... well... that's just pathetic. It's just not good enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom