Potential multiplayer skins leak

Users who are viewing this thread

If buying cosmetic items would be included in order to fund further development of Bannerlord I could accept it, but I generally don't like it very much, especially if new items are added over time. I fear that in order to attract customers these items would be of ever more grandiose designs (judging by other games that have this, e.g. Assassins Creed), and shift the visuals of the game over time as more people have them. It would be important to keep all items in harmony with the somewhat authentic medieval concept. In singleplayer it's different, as everyone can choose themselves, what to buy and include in their game. 

Brandis. said:
To be clear: I don't like lootboxes. By Overwatch, I meant the pacing of skins. You can effectively get 2-3 skins for free per event, enough to buy ones for your mains. The Bannerlord comparison is that you'd have enough to equip rare skins (and lots of regular skins) on a couple of your favorite units every few months, but if you wanted to get ALL the skins, you'd have to pay money or play an unreal amount.

I'm not sure what problem you have with level up/progression, wouldn't that be the same in Bannerlord where you play the game and level up to unlock some free cosmetics?

I don't especifically have a problem with customization linked to level up/progression, but I wouldn't like a system based on chance that gives me random items that I might not be interested in; getting a lot of stuff I don't care about before being able to afford what I actually want doesn't sound too appealing. I'd much rather choose what I want to unlock, and I honestly can't see how anyone could prefer otherwise.

I also don't think that getting a rare skin should take months to unlock if playing somewhat regularly, nor that we should have to play an unreal amount of time to unlock everything; don't get me wrong, unlocking everything should definitely be a grind, but the game shouldn't "force you" into paying real money to get it all.

If I recall correctly, the original COD: Black Ops had a system in which you earned a small amount of in-game currency for every match you played, and a much bigger amount every time that you leveled up. I think that something like this could work really well in Bannerlord, some stuff could require you to be at X level before being able to purchase it, but unlike in COD, it'd be cosmetic items only. A system like this would give players a lot of freedom when choosing what to buy, and the numbers could be tweaked so paying real money to get the rare stuff quickly is mildly attractive, but without having the game push the player in that direction.

Maybe some items could be unlocked via achievements only, the Mercenaries mod for Warband did something like this (but it wasn't always cosmetic) and I think it's pretty interesting.

shin said:
AHahhaahahahahhahaha called it. Give it another couple of months. Ignore the responses - they throw air everytime anything gets traction - but look at every issue raised in the period of the Beta. Nothing that is important has been looked at yet in regards to the class system, combat and mechanics. They are consistently off the mark rather than on it, but this is where you will give the benefit of the doubt? That they are not going to try and rinse this wet towel for every last drop before the water stops coming?

Oh yes, they definitely didn't address:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Block delays
[*]OP Cavalry
[*]Way too short TDM matches
[*]AI being too idiotic to fight cavalry
[*]Tork789
[/list]
Okay maybe they didn't really address the last one. But most other major issues in the beta have been or are being addressed. Claiming otherwise is just ridiculous.

Look, I'm alarmed by the idea of cosmetic MTX, and honestly shocked by the fact that pretty much everyone seems to be okay with it. Sure it's not gamebreaking but I'd really rather go without the yucky feeling I get from MTX in any form.

Also, what even is that screenshot?

I think that everyone has already seen this.
unknown.png

Upd. @Piconi,
you need to uncomment lines in Lobby.Armory related to "Skins".

7erj1 said:
I think that everyone has already seen this.
unknown.png

How did you access it ?

Edit: ok 7erj1, thanks again. It`s hardly a secret anymore, i see nothing wrong with it here. If anything, to me seems more like a grindable in-game currency for skins . . . for now.

Klausolus said:
Items purchasable through microtransactions should also be obtainable by playing, if we pay for a full priced game we should get a complete experience without being forced to pay additional money, even if we're talking about cosmetic only stuff, and that's hardly a communist point of view.

I personally don't have a problem paying for DLCs as long as I consider them worth the money; microtransactions providing free future DLCs might work for more one-lined games, but not everyone is interested in the same stuff within the M&B community, some players don't want MP only DLCs like Napoleonic Wars, and some people don't care about SP focused DLCs like Viking Conquest, so for example, many players who prefer the multiplayer side of Bannerlord probably wouldn't like the idea of having to pay real money for cosmetics even if that guarantees free future content, because that future content might not be of their interest.

Cosmetic items reasonably obtainable by playing that can also be bought for a reasonable amount of money, plus paid future DLCs (just like in Warband) should ensure a fair and complete experience while also funding active multiplayer updates and content, like additional free maps. 

Completely agreed. While not directly having an impact on gameplay, cosmetic customization is meaningful and part of the fun in a game. In a full priced product, I shouldn't be forced to grind so extensively that it would be far more convenient to dish out cash; every item should be unlockable by playing for a reasonable amount of time, at least that is my view.

Gab said:
Completely agreed. While not directly having an impact on gameplay, cosmetic customization is meaningful and part of the fun in a game. In a full priced product, I shouldn't be forced to grind so extensively that it would be far more convenient to dish out cash; every item should be unlockable by playing for a reasonable amount of time, at least that is my view.
+1
Amen to that, mate.

I'm fairly confident any skins or cosmetics they implement won't provide any in-game advantage but since a lot of game companies these days monetize multiplayer, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened here. Having said that though, I think the chances of that happening here is pretty slim since Bannerlord is such labour of love. They're not dumb and they seem pretty in tune with their fan base so I wouldn't expect them to risk ruining that.

Regardless if they monetize skins or not, there is very little motivation to work towards the skins considering a good chunk of the time you wont be playing as the faction you want. But achieved skins must happen. Nothing better than to showcase a skin that was achieved by getting 20k kills or something time consuming like that.

I honestly don't mind cosmetics if they are not meme 420 modern bull**** skins and  they are able to be bought with in-game currency without the requirement to grind 500 hours for a skin.

Otherwise, it could be a good thing to help fund TaleWorlds in their journey. Why not?

flavberg said:
I honestly don't mind cosmetics if they are not meme 420 modern bull**** skins and  they are able to be bought with in-game currency without the requirement to grind 500 hours for a skin.

Otherwise, it could be a good thing to help fund TaleWorlds in their journey. Why not?

They said they would make the game full priced (while not confirmed) but i pay a hefty 60 euros i don't expect to need to pay more for cosmetics.

DLC should fund the development, not skins

I don't see anything wrong with optional cosmetics as microtransactions. Within reason, of course. It's not paying for features. It's not locking actual content behind a paywall. It's optional customization that doesn't affect gameplay in any way (if done properly) and helps fund not only development but also post-launch support.

Evvv said:
I don't see anything wrong with optional cosmetics as microtransactions. Within reason, of course. It's not paying for features. It's not locking actual content behind a paywall. It's optional customization that doesn't affect gameplay in any way (if done properly) and helps fund not only development but also post-launch support.
When you have a game that has so much modding potential there eventually will come a mod that will just expand upon this and could potentially just kill native.

Like i said before, it would be much better to have DLC in cooperation with modders who they believe could have potential.

DLC to fund studio > Skins to fund studio

Back
Top Bottom