Obsidian Entertainment - "Project Eternity" aka Pillars of Eternity

Users who are viewing this thread

Merlkir said:
I still wish they'd done something more interesting than fantasy.
Eh, depends on what kind of fantasy it is. If it's classic high fantasy with elves and dwarves and wizards... yeah, that's about as unoriginal a setting as you can get. But Planescape: Torment was also fantasy and the setting was terrific. So I wouldn't lose hope. Would sci-fi be better? Well depends on what kind it is, doesn't it. Sci-fi covers everything from 2001: A Space Odyssey to Star Wars. Fantasy is a bracket that's just as broad, if not more so. Considering how few details we have, I'd say it's a bit too early to lose heart.

Heh, just read you jumping to the rescue in the RPS comments minutes ago Merl; it's always awesome when I accidentally see a TW person on some other awesome internet place: I imagine it as a superhero crossover :lol:

Hm. I have to say I understand why many people would be reluctant to join the hysteria, but...I had to give in to this one. :grin:

BTW, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got pushed back to September November (!!) 30th, apparently to "make the game even better". :grin: Goodness, why did I preorder THAT?!

Ringwraith #5 said:
Merlkir said:
Oh for ****'s sake... I had to stop reading halfway through his first post. Even reading that mental diarrhea is a waste of time, let alone replying to it. I'd advise you to ignore him and argue with me instead. That's much more productive. :wink:

He doesn't seem to understand how financing works.

What a miserable ****.

Radalan said:
Ringwraith #5 said:
Merlkir said:
Oh for ****'s sake... I had to stop reading halfway through his first post. Even reading that mental diarrhea is a waste of time, let alone replying to it. I'd advise you to ignore him and argue with me instead. That's much more productive. :wink:

He doesn't seem to understand how financing works.

Llew said:
Kleidophoros said:
That's not releasing anything; that's trying to milk the success of their older games and old-school projects at kickstarter; wasteland 2, double fine adventure, broken sword yada yada.
I'll repeat what I said before about a different project for you.

It's quite possible to put together a totally scam project with pretty pictures and then waltz off with the dough after it's funded. I've never heard of it happening though, and if you're smart, you'll look at it as an investment. You go with the guys who've done it before that you trust, like the guys making Wasteland 2 (ala, they already made Wasteland 1). And unless you're filthy rich with a streak of altruism, back it with whatever amount you're comfortable losing.

In my case, $25 bucks is a reasonable bet for this game, since they've been going to trade shows (pretty legit), and folks I know who are in the beta tell me it's good.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when a project is funded, or crazily exceeds funding like Castle Story did, the Devs aren't getting all that money free. They still deliver the game to everyone who bought it. All it means is that a few thousand people bought the game before it was finished, thus helping fund the development. Much like M&B did in the old days. Exactly like M&B, in fact.

If the Devs are smart, they'll use some of the extra money to give the development of the game a little unanticipated boost, thus giving the backers the warm fuzzy feeling that they helped make the game better by their 'extra' funding. But at the end of the day, the backers still played $25, or $50, or whatever they did, and will still receive the rewards for that tier. But they are in no way obligated to go the extra mile if they exceed funding.

In the end, it's your call. No one is forcing you to be 'milked' by these guys. If you want to lay a wager on them finishing a game, go ahead. If not, then feel free to bugger of to skeptic land until 2014 when the game is released.
I am not saying they won't deliver anything. And I am not saying they won't deliver a great game either. All I am saying is that at this point they have not showed us anything; they only have their name, older projects and a promise to make an old-school game.
Their kickstarter page and wording shows this; all they show right now is promises based on past experience; no game concept, no concept art not even any ideas.
I will wait until they show something before giving them my money.

Kleidophoros said:
no game concept, no concept art not even any ideas.

Heh, I agree that it's rather vague what they put in their Kickstarter page, but that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Some artwork bits are shown in the video, plus they put very clear that they want to make a game like the bunch they already done, so it's not like it's coming from zero nor they're suggesting a game out of thin air.

Well they have past $1,000,000! Also they added some stuff in the FAQ at the bottom of the kickstarter page about how Steam is guaranteed as a delivery service but they will look into other options as well and also possibly Mac and Linux versions.

Back
Top Bottom