Freeman: Guerilla Warfare, Something to help waiting for BL

Users who are viewing this thread

Kelefane said:
This game has close to modern graphics and the system requirements are wayyyy higher then Warbands are.

graphics is not the point, it is the gameplay feeling. It is pretty much Warband with guns + some new interesting combat options.

noone said they stolen Warband assets. And there is nothing wrong with creating a game that looks like another (or we wouldn't have hundreds of RPG, strategy, sports, FPS, etc games that steal features one from the other all the time)

judge this game on its own strong and weak points. Is it fun? Saying that it looks like Warband is just a way to explain how it plays to people that know nothing about it, and to tell Warband fans: "hey, look at this game, you may like it as it looks like Warband"

Let me write a short basic description and then tell me if I am talking about Warband or Freeman.

Play in a war torn land. Defeat enemy parties and recruit troops. Level up your character and build him the way you want. Upgrade your soldiers and fight battles in real time. In the campaign map, you can visit cities and once you have gathered a large enough fighting force, conquer a settlement for yourself.

Which game was I writing about?

Anyway, this game really brings out the obsessive traits in me.
Many many years ago when I played STALKER, I had a nightmare. I was in the STALKER world. THe nightmare part? The anomalies....or maybe the grotesque enemies?

Nope, ammo managment. See...I am always worried I will run out of ammo. So...my nightmare was me going around the STALKER world with a shopping cart, filled with ammo. Its not easy moving a shopping cart full of ammo in a setting like that.

And in this game, you need to have ammo on your belt to use it. And you can replenish your ammo mid battle as well, if you return to your invetory crate where you spawned. If 12 magazines is not enough.

I keep putting points into inventory managment to have enough room for all my ammo. For three weapons. Thousands of rounds... Even though I never use more than 40% of the ammo I take with me....and I usually loot more ammo than I use. But you never know when you might need it.

One thing worth mentioning is that this game doesn't have omniscient AI and that alone makes a huge difference between Warband and Freeman battles. If you're being sneaky enough you can walk into middle of enemy squad and they won't notice you. The moment you open fire you're dead, but it still can be done. Once I haven't noticed my guys were being pushed away like there's no tomorrow and I spent rest of the battle lying in the bushes, surrounded by enemies, trying to guide my reinforcements to flank the force that was bullying the leftovers of my first group :lol:

Also, armour isn't worth that much, but it still usually lets you tank those few extra rounds you'll take when you jump out of cover and get rid of last couple of enemies with a revolver and that's something which I'm yet to get bored of. Even if it almost costed me a won battle more than once.

Air strikes are in game. Had a bunch of looters hold up within some buildings, so I requested an air strike. That was a lovely sight to behold.

Quite a sight when you have your night vision on, too. I generally love the night battles, it's much easier to **** around with the AI.

In other news, as it can't all be love and butterflies, they burnt their hand on bought unity assets which 'borrowed' models from other games. I can see lack of dedicated 3D artists being an issue in the future, though so far they were putting in stuff that blends in well with what already is in the game.

Reviving the thread because lately they pushed out a massive update and I went back to it, the game is better both in graphics and performance. If you already own it, it's worth to start new campaign as it should be save-combatible for couple next patches.

It still isn't completed and a bit barebones when it comes to giving purpose to a gameplay, but the shooting is nice (I think, I'm no expert) and the battles still give the familiar M&B vibe of player involvement being vital for victory, while not making you some kind of indestructible force comparing to your troops. Night battles are bugged right now, though, you can play them just fine but tactical map is pure darkness and trying to navigate your troops is extra hard (still great to turn NVG on and sneak on your enemy).

I am bored of M&B-inspired titles and stupid shooters. I hate modern setting of game. Bannerlord is better way than Freeman

Arnulf Floyd said:
I am bored of M&B-inspired titles and stupid shooters. I hate modern setting of game. Bannerlord is better way than Freeman

and you guys say I don't contribute anything  :roll:

Arnulf Floyd said:
That's an interesting take on it, but I wasn't big on shooters either and that's what made me hesitate about buying into F:GW (and it was really early access back then, the progress they made is seriously mind-blowing). Haven't regretted the purchase, have ~60 hours ticked on Steam.

Again, as it was mentioned in this thread, the F:GW and M&B series have 'the feeling' in common, but they're very different mechanically. Modern setting and smaller scale lets F:GW do many things that were impossible in M&B, lack of AI omniscience is the biggest one. Flanking and maneuvering is much more rewarding in Freeman thanks to that. The troops are also divided into squads and each squad has separate morale (which is a result of morale of individual troops in squad) that actually works, so squads being pinched can flee the field even if they haven't sustained many casualties and their side is winning the battle.

It's just an interesting little game and a very own thing despite people accusing it of being M&B clone. Promising project as well, even as of now I can definitely recommend it if you can find it on sale.

I've refer to games which copying M&B ideas but failing(I love M&B especially Bannerlord)

I am a strategy gamer(idea of lacking of omnipresence remind me of RTS titles which I enjoy so much) I will considers game in future

I love this game, and the developers. Regardless of how much of it is similar to M&B (let's be honest, it's hard to be 100% unique these days with how many games are churned-out on a regular basis), I thoroughly enjoy watching it's progress. It has been growing at a steady pace, with regular updates and fixes, and is shaping-up to be rather good.

I also helped out with a massive list of potential ideas early on, that they could use (which they took quite a few notes from, and made me very happy in the process). Even if you don't get it now, it's definitely worth keeping one eye on at least. :smile:

Do not look here said:
It's just an interesting little game and a very own thing despite people accusing it of being M&B clone.

This reminds me of the time when people were trashtalking games like Saints Row and True Crime because they were "GTA Clones".

I honestly don't see what's wrong with M&B clones, I love the concept (overworld map, true sandbox etc), I wish there were more M&B clones.

That being said, I have F:GW on steam but couldn't really get into it because I don't like first person shooters. Would be great if there was a third person option.

I don't think it's wrong either, all after all I can't recall a game that tried to recreate M&B single player experience, but I used 'accusing' because there were people claiming it's stolen Warband code and textures :roll:

Right now game is, imo, in unplayable state. They recently added vehicles in and to say whole system is imbalanced is to say nothing. I did not know Guerilla Warfare is carried out by tank divisions.

Do not look here said:
Right now game is, imo, in unplayable state. They recently added vehicles in and to say whole system is imbalanced is to say nothing. I did not know Guerilla Warfare is carried out by tank divisions.
Yeah, it has many teething problems, being in Early Access. To be expected, really. It's still early in development.

I'm not sure why they added vehicles, to be honest. Especially tanks. I think they are a bit over-the-top, personally. Jeeps, half-tracks, and small APCs are about as powerful as I would have gone. But if they can work on balancing and such, which I'm certain they will, then perhaps it won't feel so out-of-place.

Back
Top Bottom