OSP Kit Combat Form Ranks! - A formation kit[Version1.32][Minor update: multi bug fixes]

Users who are viewing this thread

very cool.  also, how did you create the new font?  When we tried the only way was by editing the font.xml file in the root of M&B....  :sad:

HokieBT said:
very cool.  also, how did you create the new font?  When we tried the only way was by editing the font.xml file in the root of M&B....  :sad:

As to the font, I don't know much about it. It's originally for the Chinese version. I just downloaded it and installed. But then later I changed back to English. And that's the result. :grin:

foxyman said:
Dain Ironfoot said:
Definitely some interesting stuff..

So do the multiple formations just create seperate parties which follow you or are they part of your party? And can you give orders to the seperate formations in battle or are they counted as allies?

If you're having trouble and this is something you want to share with the world I'd just release the source code for people to hack about.. perhaps your new stuff could even be merged with the existing kit.

EDIT: ****ing hell Cruger, did you HAVE to quote the entire first post for your single line comment?

I created new parties and attached them to main party, like the thing happened in battle. They are regarded as allies in game engine, but you can give orders to them (and that's where the control complexity comes from...).

EDIT: Have to revise my word: They're under player's command in battlefield, both my formation commands and native commands.

That' ****ing awesome! We finally have multiple formations :grin:!

Wow, that looks beautiful. So, you can assign your companions to be sort of like captains to small batallions, inside your own army? How would that work with assigning mutliple formations to a single unit type, though?

Anyway, wow. :shock: This seems great.

FrisianDude said:
Wow, that looks beautiful. So, you can assign your companions to be sort of like captains to small batallions, inside your own army? How would that work with assigning mutliple formations to a single unit type, though?

Anyway, wow. :shock: This seems great.

I assign them array numbers according to the party division in big map.

How does the command system work? How do you order the various groups around?

Merlkir said:
How does the command system work? How do you order the various groups around?

Have you tried it out? Currently I can only handle arrays separately. I've posted control manual. If not clear, please point out and I'll revise it.

foxyman said:
Yes. That's what I mean. Currently 15 speed level.( Though half of them is beyond the fastest troop)

15 speed levels for charging - is it for cavalry only or for both cavalry and infantry formations?
I ask because AFAIK infantry has only two speed levels - walk and run. Cavalry speed can be adjusted more smoothly.

+Knight said:
foxyman said:
Yes. That's what I mean. Currently 15 speed level.( Though half of them is beyond the fastest troop)

15 speed levels for charging - is it for cavalry only or for both cavalry and infantry formations?
I ask because AFAIK infantry has only two speed levels - walk and run. Cavalry speed can be adjusted more smoothly.

The 15speed levels currently are uniformly applied.

foxyman said:

I see, but I doubt those 15 levels work for infantry. Infantry can walk or run, that's all. Unless you have applied some really evil :twisted: tricks. If that's the case I would like to know them :smile:

+Knight said:
foxyman said:

I see, but I doubt those 15 levels work for infantry. Infantry can walk or run, that's all. Unless you applied some really evil :twisted: tricks. If that's the case I would like to know them :smile:

They walk or run, I care not. I just call them to follow a constantly moving point. Easy trick? :grin:

OK, I've got it now. Have just looked through the code, nice work :cool:.
I am currently doing yet another version of formations behaviour, but it is far from release ATM.

+Knight said:
OK, I've got it now. Have just looked through the code, nice work :cool:.
I am currently doing yet another version of formations behaviour, but it is far from release ATM.

So what will be in it?
This kit is far from complete I have to say. There's much to dig in.

It is too early to announce something specific. Just concepts.
The concept is to make M&B battles of larger scale to resemble real medieval battles. M&B does it great when number of agents is low, that is, in skirmishes. It was intended for that type of action eventually. But people can have relatively large battles nowadays and that's where skirmish behaviour is completely unsuitable. In other words, I want infantry formations clashes, lines of archers, epic cavalry charges - that sort of things, when there are enough men on the battlefield.
In the alpha version I will try to make the ordinary M&B with agents charging in formations. If successful, I plan to add some AI tactics. The original M&B concept will remain - the player will not command formations (I don't want to remake Medieval 2 Total War :smile:), he/she will just fight along with AI agents. My goal is the medieval battle feel and look, because it's frickin' fun, I think.

+Knight said:
It is too early to announce something specific. Just concepts.
The concept is to make M&B battles of larger scale to resemble real medieval battles. M&B does it great when number of agents is low, that is, in skirmishes. It was intended for that type of action eventually. But people can have relatively large battles nowadays and that's where skirmish behaviour is completely unsuitable. In other words, I want infantry formations clashes, lines of archers, epic cavalry charges - that sort of things, when there are enough men on the battlefield.
In the alpha version I will try to make the ordinary M&B with agents charging in formations. If successful, I plan to add some AI tactics. The original M&B concept will remain - the player will not command formations (I don't want to remake Medieval 2 Total War :smile:), he/she will just fight along with AI agents. My goal is the medieval battle feel and look, because it's frickin' fun, I think.

Sounds great. The AI stuff is also the next thing I want to tap on.

OK one thing, do you choose who to assign (and the quantity) to the unit? so you can have two archer battalions and lets say three spearmen battalions in front and on the sides a sword battalion and on the other two cavalry battalions! COOL! i wish it works like that...

MISHO said:
OK one thing, do you choose who to assign (and the quantity) to the unit? so you can have two archer battalions and lets say three spearmen battalions in front and on the sides a sword battalion and on the other two cavalry battalions! COOL! i wish it works like that...

EXACTLY

Back
Top Bottom