OSP Kit Combat Form Ranks! - A formation kit[Version1.32][Minor update: multi bug fixes]

Users who are viewing this thread

So how about a guide on how to install for us non-computer savy?  Idk where to extract the to folders, especially when I extract them both to the same area and end up with a broken tavern.

xcskiguy said:
So how about a guide on how to install for us non-computer savy?  Idk where to extract the to folders, especially when I extract them both to the same area and end up with a broken tavern.

First make an exact copy of the Native folder under Mount&Blade/Modules/, name it whatever you like. Then extract my txts into that folder, replace all.

This is one of the best ideas EVER!

One of the major problems with mount and blade has always been that you can onyl split your army into infantry, cavalry, and archers. THis way you can have two groups of archers, send them to two different hills, push your main infantry forwards to lock the enemy in place, and them have your cavalry slam into the bastards from the rear while arows rain on them from above....

Incredible!

If you can iron out any bugs in your code then this will be one of the most important additions since formations and sea battles. Keep up all the good work. And please release the python code when it's done...

Damocles said:
This is one of the best ideas EVER!

One of the major problems with mount and blade has always been that you can onyl split your army into infantry, cavalry, and archers. THis way you can have two groups of archers, send them to two different hills, push your main infantry forwards to lock the enemy in place, and them have your cavalry slam into the bastards from the rear while arows rain on them from above....

Incredible!

If you can iron out any bugs in your code then this will be one of the most important additions since formations and sea battles. Keep up all the good work. And please release the python code when it's done...

Thank you. It's realsed,check the links :grin:. I will suspend working on this for a while till all my exams are done. Thanks for all your support!

Just saw this and haven't checked it out yet, but I'm wondering if the formations apply to the AI as well?
This is a great effort by the way! :grin:

Zathan said:
Just saw this and haven't checked it out yet, but I'm wondering if the formations apply to the AI as well?
This is a great effort by the way! :grin:

Haven't port this for AI yet. That would involve further work and different algorithm. But this will be the next major improvement. Thanks for your support!

Worcob said:
enable to load scene in every single tavern? all NPC heroes spawning on same place so you can't talk to one you wish to talk.Is that normal bug? Sorry for critics but I'm really have interest for some good formation mod to be released soon.

Sorry I didn't notice that during testing. Let me try to repeat this bug and then give response on that. Thanks for your reporting! :smile:

EDIT: I'm sorry but could you explain more about the problem you met? Coz I cannot reproduce it either in 1.011 or 1.010. Did you use this kit in native or some other mod? I don't think it's a bug caused by my kit now, since I haven't ever touched the scene of taverns.

You really did a great job!

I noticed a few problems while I tested it though...
First off, when I tried to create a second battle, it wasn't named 'rearward' but 4342 denars. Wasn't the amount of money I had at that time, though... It displayed as rearward in the camp(probably because you simply named them there) and battle menu.

Then I noticed when I told a battle to charge it only moved forward at a certain speed... Isn't it possible to make them look for nearby enemies?

Oh, and that might be somewhat hard to archieve, but could soldiers in side battles profit from the training skill too?

And how about an option to follow the player?

Anyway, you've done an amazing job so far and I'm looking forward to any updates :smile:

By the way, I think castle defense could get a lot more interesting with this! Do you think letting certain battles start at certain entry points is possible?

Soil said:
You really did a great job!

I noticed a few problems while I tested it though...
First off, when I tried to create a second battle, it wasn't named 'rearward' but 4342 denars. Wasn't the amount of money I had at that time, though... It displayed as rearward in the camp(probably because you simply named them there) and battle menu.

Then I noticed when I told a battle to charge it only moved forward at a certain speed... Isn't it possible to make them look for nearby enemies?

Oh, and that might be somewhat hard to archieve, but could soldiers in side battles profit from the training skill too?

And how about an option to follow the player?

Anyway, you've done an amazing job so far and I'm looking forward to any updates :smile:

By the way, I think castle defense could get a lot more interesting with this! Do you think letting certain battles start at certain entry points is possible?

Thanks Soil :smile:.
    As to the naming bug, I found that if I view the equipment of NPC before assigning the battle, the name is distorted to xxx denars. But the amount I saw was exactly that I owned. So I'm not sure if it's the same bug. Anyway, I fixed that. It will be updated in next version. Currently you can download this little patch to fix it, and see if your problem persist. The patch contains two files dialog_states.txt and conversation.txt. Replace the old one.
  patch: http://pickup.mofile.com/6819966091699382 (tell me if you cannot access mofile)

If you want the battle to face enemies in battlefield, just press 'g' to turn on auto-rotation. But I suggest you to turn it off(pres 'g' again) later if you want cavalry to charge.

And here's good news. I found the simple trigger related to the trainer skill. So for the next version I will probably enable side battles to benefit from trainer skills.

For castle defense, the points where agents are spawned is decided by game engine. I might try to enable a pre-battle arrangement for player. But notice that castles are usually narrow and crowded, moving large troops here and there wouldn't be good idea.

Chinta Kari said:
YOU are the man, foxyman.

Chinese wit and efficiency.

You just opened a whole new world there.

All my respect.

Many thanks for your encouragement! This is just an attempt, much to be improved.

Hmm, letting the spawn as usually and rather run to an entrypoint than directly spawning there probably is a better idea.

Well, I imagined there would be battles in 3 sizes, one for the keep, which is obviously the biggest, then 2 or 3 slighty smaller ones for gates or other very important strategical position and then much smaller normal defense battles.

The battles could be moved around just as the player wants them to, but the idea which puts this into far bigger use is the ability to send them to different spawn points(those on which the guards spawn because these usually are at the important positions).
Obviously remaking all the castles would allow to get far better results so it would be better for a total conversion.

The ability to divide your forces to defend multiple points while still having full control over them would definitely make sieges more interesting.
The tricky part would be making the AI use it, though.

It's good to hear that you already fixed that, and thanks for the hint :smile:

Soil said:
Hmm, letting the spawn as usually and rather run to an entrypoint than directly spawning there probably is a better idea.

Well, I imagined there would be battles in 3 sizes, one for the keep, which is obviously the biggest, then 2 or 3 slighty smaller ones for gates or other very important strategical position and then much smaller normal defense battles.

The battles could be moved around just as the player wants them to, but the idea which puts this into far bigger use is the ability to send them to different spawn points(those on which the guards spawn because these usually are at the important positions).
Obviously remaking all the castles would allow to get far better results so it would be better for a total conversion.

The ability to divide your forces to defend multiple points while still having full control over them would definitely make sieges more interesting.
The tricky part would be making the AI use it, though.

It's good to hear that you already fixed that, and thanks for the hint :smile:
I'm confused a little bit. But the siege thing will be under my serious consideration, seems feasible.

In my schdule, the next update will primarily focus on improving the control, UI and extending the formations for AI use. So I'm afraid the siege thing won't come out shortly. Thanks for the ideas :smile:

You don't have to excuse yourself... After all, I'm just throwing ideas in.

I agree, field battles are more important.

Well, I'll try and explain it a bit more clear... And probably change my ideas because I got to think of something better.

The troops defending the castle will be split into a number of groups chosen by the player. The rules about the number of battles are similar to those of field battles.

The player gets to assign the soldiers to the battles before the siege attack. If it's possible, there could be an option to auto assign them x parts archers and y parts infantry.

Because the arrow keys might be somewhat clumsy to use during battles I thought it might be better to order your troops to go to certain positions on the wall.
A way to do this would be using the entry points(those which define where the guards are spawned when you visit the castle), the player would choose the position and order the troops to go there just like he would choose and order the forming of a formation.

The problem with this is that the player had to look via edit-mode where each entry point is. I like that, though, because that requires some planning.
And if this is all too much to some they can always use the old controlls...

By the way, is it possible to order a battle to follow you or the respective battle leader?

Soil said:
You don't have to excuse yourself... After all, I'm just throwing ideas in.

I agree, field battles are more important.

Well, I'll try and explain it a bit more clear... And probably change my ideas because I got to think of something better.

The troops defending the castle will be split into a number of groups chosen by the player. The rules about the number of battles are similar to those of field battles.

The player gets to assign the soldiers to the battles before the siege attack. If it's possible, there could be an option to auto assign them x parts archers and y parts infantry.

Because the arrow keys might be somewhat clumsy to use during battles I thought it might be better to order your troops to go to certain positions on the wall.
A way to do this would be using the entry points(those which define where the guards are spawned when you visit the castle), the player would choose the position and order the troops to go there just like he would choose and order the forming of a formation.

The problem with this is that the player had to look via edit-mode where each entry point is. I like that, though, because that requires some planning.
And if this is all too much to some they can always use the old controlls...
Now I get it. Should be feasible. I'll look into module_presentation.py for a better UI instead of the edit mode.

Soil said:
By the way, is it possible to order a battle to follow you or the respective battle leader?

In this version the battles always follow their respective sub-commanders. When the sub-commander is down, the side battle is merged to main battle. So they follow you thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom