Fitness and all things fitness related (AKA: Eat your goddamn oats.)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheFlyingFishy said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for foods that are filling but not overly unhealthy? I'm not constantly stuffing my face or anything, but I find myself hungry way more than I feel I should be. I used to drink a bunch of Ensures every day, and I think I'm going to start doing that again so I don't feel so hungry, but are there any other things? Generally, I eat some not-too-healthy snacks and things to keep the hunger away, but I get hungry half an hour after even large meals, and it's annoying. I want to nip this in the bud before it gets to a bad point, but the only things that I can think of that really make me feel full are milk and nutrition shakes.

Protein supposedly makes one feel full for longer. Try a bit of cold meat for breakfast if you have any leftovers in the fridge, or make yourself some eggs and bacon, or just porridge, which I find quite filling. I often have the oats straight out of the box these days, with either milk or water with some fruit and/or nuts mixed in- I suppose it is a bit like home made museli. If you use water then you will probably want to add something like this because the taste of water and oats is pretty dismal! The sort of fruit I like to use are blueberries, raspberries and strawberries; if you make actual porridge, try putting the fruit in just after you begin simmering. They will soften and burst slightly, filling the surrounding porridge with hot juices, and the flavour is usually more vivid than if you have them uncooked.

I think generally avoiding high sugar foods helps, because rather than satisfying your appetite they immediately make you want more. Plus once your blood sugar has dipped back down, you feel lethargic and feel like eating more to get it back up again. Do you exercise much? A bit of vigorous exercise like running or sets of press ups, squats and sit ups will keep your hunger at bay in my experience.

For snacks, I suggest nuts if you like them. They are high in calories but this is fat, a supposedly good sort. They contain quite a lot of protein and most have some vitamins or other compounds that are good for you too. Personally I prefer unsalted nuts, but I suppose the salted ones deter one from scoffing too much at once because of the excessive amount of salt.

I wish I could eat that, it's just got such a harsh taste which nearly feels like a brush on your tongue. After workouts I just drink lots of water and some coffee.

kurczak said:
Daikon, kohlrabi, radish and turnip work like a charm for me. There's something animalisticly satisfying about the way you have to crush them with your teeth.
Aren't all of those alkalescent (or howyoucallit)? Such stuff is indeed very good at negating your stomach acid's doings and they make you stop feeling hungry quick.

Nah.

Alkalescent means that it's just alkaline. Sodium bicarbonate is alkalescent and that's why it's used as an Anti-acid. It makes you feel "full" because it produces CO2 when it's broken down in a neutralisation reaction.

All the vegetables they're talking about are just "filling" due to their relative size compared to their caloric value. Generally vegetables are really good to eat when cutting because they simply fill you up, **** like cucumber will fill you up at literally 0 calories.

@Fishy Buy light Greek Yoghurt, they're awesome for a snack and go great with whole-grain, high-fiber cereal. And by light, I mean pay attention to the package and check out the nutritional info when it says so, you want light as in reduced fat content, and NO sugar-added. What that implies with dairy is a higher protein content and lower fat, which is great for your purposes because protein is the most filling molecule, especially the protein of dairy as it takes a long time to fully absorb, AND each gram of protein contains less calories than a gram of fat. Win win win.  Many brands say low-fat but add sugar which is usually just worse and pointless.

I'm fairly sure radish has alkalescent properties, as it gives the same burp-and-relief effect to my stomach pains as sodium bicarbonate does.

1 new post

Bromden said:
kurczak said:
Daikon, kohlrabi, radish and turnip work like a charm for me. There's something animalisticly satisfying about the way you have to crush them with your teeth.
Aren't all of those alkalescent (or howyoucallit)? Such stuff is indeed very good at negating your stomach acid's doings and they make you stop feeling hungry quick.
No idea, but it's possible.

Also, he's looking for something he can in indiscriminate amounts without expanding the universe and you people suggest peanut butter, oats, nuts and bacon? All of those have 500+ cal per 100g. That's candy tier. If he has three 100g snacks made of this stuff, he's at ~ 75% of his daily calorie intake.

It's great that they have lots of protein and/or polyunsaturated fats, but just because they give you less cancer doesn't mean they are not calories.

Potatoes are ok if you just boil them or bake them without any fat.

Moar like eat big or fit in your home's front door.

Seriously though, when/if he weightlifts 257 times a week like you or Ambalon then maybe, but I have a hunch that that's not Fishy's case.

kurczak said:
All of those have 500+ cal per 100g. That's candy tier. If he has three 100g snacks made of this stuff, he's at ~ 75% of his daily calorie intake.

The department of nutrition at Auschwitz might claim otherwise, but I don't believe 2000kcal is a sufficient daily intake for a at least somewhat physically active adolescent male.

2000-2250 calories is actually a very reasonable amount to maintain body mass , if you aren't really tall and are hovering around  like 160 pounds and if you're indeed active and don't have an abnormally fast metabolism. Get more liberal than that and chances are you'll slowly fatten up, it's important to keep in mind Fishy isn't a weightlifter.

kurczak said:
Also, he's looking for something he can in indiscriminate amounts without expanding the universe and you people suggest peanut butter, oats, nuts and bacon? All of those have 500+ cal per 100g. That's candy tier. If he has three 100g snacks made of this stuff, he's at ~ 75% of his daily calorie intake.

When I suggested oats and bacon and eggs that was just an idea for breakfast, not snacks. The idea being to try and reduce his hunger between meals in the first place. Obviously raw salad foods like radishes, carrot and celery would be better low calorie options than nuts if munching on them was enough to satisfy his urge to snack, but I don't think Fishy actually said he is worried about calories or putting on weight, he just said he wanted healthy snacks.

Mind you, I think whoever mentioned his hunger might be a symptom of boredom could be on to something; I am often bored and usually snack at night. This evening I delved into the cupboards for a handful of crisps, a piece of flapjack, a couple of oatcakes, a few dried prunes from the fridge and a few grapes from the bowl. I wasn't even the least bit hungry but was bored of watching the football. Luckily I have quite a high metabolism and do a reasonable amount of exercise, so the only likely problems this habit will cause me in the near future are indigestion and potentially diabetes  :lol:

Alright, fair enough. I guess there's more than one way to read his post.

If we're talking about regular meals that should reduce feeling hunger/appetite then oats and eggs are a good idea. Nuts too if you can control your portions. I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating the crowd here, but whenever I hear someone say that x is a healthy food, the mental image of my brother in law pops up. He thinks that when something is "healthy" (by whatever criteria) it means he can eat any amounts of it and then he wonders how it is possible that he's putting on weight when he eats only healthy food, but what he doesn't tell you is that in his world it means eating like 5 kilos of chicken breasts, a gallon of milk and his body weight in walnuts every day.*

* - Brutus, this is a hyperbole. I don't mean it literally, relax, take a deep breath and exhale slowly.

kurczak said:
Define somewhat physically active.

I have no idea what kind of person Fishy is, but for a argument's sake let's say he's a rather lanky one (178cm 72kg).  According to the Harris Benedict Equation he would need roughly 1800kcal even if he slept the whole day away. 2000kcal doesn't really leave room for any sort of physical activity . Of course this isn't a completely accurate calculation, but it's a good guidline.

Being a woman in the modern world, I dread death less than I dread being fat, so I've been religiously watching and keeping records of my calorie intake for longer than I care to admit :razz: So I know for a fact that I would gain weight if I adhered to Benedict-Harris. It calculates BMR exactly, but multiplying it for lifestyle is kind of subjective. There are people who would consider yoga moderate exercise. For me running 10 km in an hour is moderate exercise.

But ok, let's say I am a freak with exceptionally slow metabolism and Fishy is not and his actual daily intake should be ~ 2500 if he is moderatly active as per Benedict Harris. That would still make the 3x100g snacks 60% of his daily intake which is imo a lot for something that should be snacks.

Back
Top Bottom