Feminism

Users who are viewing this thread

pentagathus said:
@ I know that maternity leave often make employers more wary of hiring women, particularly those creeping towards middle age. Is it much of a problem in Sweden (if you are Swedish?) what with your generous paternity pay?
Paternity pay encourages males to take leave, but a lot of men will choose not to (probably because of social norms - you could also claim it's more important for a male to be successful due to the tendency of women "marrying up" in society, this is all speculation though). The traditional problem in Finland has been
A) the person on maternity leave gets full pay, which is mostly paid for by the employer, not the state
B) it is impossible to fire the person even if they spend a decade on maternity leave (they have to return for a number of weeks inbetween every maternity leave), which means you'll have to pay all sorts of extra costs, including replacement which of course requires time to get the gears going etc.
C) in case the employer gets rid of the person it will lead to a court case, which the employer is likely to lose
D) it is illegal to ask if a person plans on having children, meaning the employer will discriminate against women across the board

It's devastating for small businesses in mostly female-dominated branches, such as hair salons. If you have 8 employees and 3 of them are on maternity leave you're hemorrhaging a lot of money, and it's not guaranteed you were making any in the first place. Not like this is a very entrepreneur-friendly environment anyway.

How are they allowed to spend so long on leave? I take it they need to keep having more babbies during that time. Does sound pretty tarded though.

Yeah, they need to keep getting more children. It's also possible to alternate the parental leave between the father and mother nowadays, which is pretty neat.
It's problematic when you get a replacement which is much more competent than the person on leave, but you have to let that person go when the mother comes back to work, because you have to reserve her position. And a little bit later she might be gone again, and you're looking for new replacements. Especially bad if she's in middle management or higher.

Epicrules said:
Praise be to Moderation.[/spoiler]
giphy.gif
Praise the sun!
542.gif

Harkon Haakonson said:
Úlfheðinn said:
Harkon Haakonson said:
:lol: This thread never disappoints.

I feel this thread is a great example of how making a thread while drunk can lead to a large quantity of fun.

Almost two years.  :iamamoron:
****, it was you. A moment of silence for those forumites who succumbed hard and never managed to return to his forum again due to the overwhelming rage caused by arguing about Feminism in this thread?

I see it as a test of mental and moral fortitude, many have entered this thread and been founding wanting in one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom