Earlier Days 4/30/08 v0.006 for .903, see first two posts for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted here in awhile.  I've been trying my hand at artwork while waiting for .895 0.90x.

More or less finished lamellar vest replacement for the Vaegir.

Still twiddling my thumbs and playing with a few minor things while waiting for a stable release.

Anyway now that the "disband troops bug" is fixed I was thinking of expanding of the troop trees.  Maybe something like this.

Kherghits I think are good as they stand now.

Vaegirs would get mounted archers and the Veteran split into foot and mounted.  I personally hate the maybe we'll have a horse and maybe we won't thing.

Nord's maybe an archer branch.  Although if I do that I'll remove tier 6.

And that leaves the Rhodoks.  I've been trying to think of a historical reference for them and the early Swiss seems to fit better than anything.  Polearm infantry supported by crossbows.  Maybe split them into spear/pike and polearm branches.

I'm thinking of adding a second spawn point and increasing the party cap for bandits would help fill the map in a little more.  By default they're capped at 10 parties and only the Sea Raiders have 2 spawns.  I was thinking capping them at 12 and splitting them between 2 locations might work better.

It looks like the code for the pre-0.89x kingdom parties is still intact.  Anyone have any thoughts on adding some non-hero kingdom parties?

I think I'll cut the fief build times in half.  Should prices stay the same or increase?

If fief build times are cut in half, increase the costs by 60-75% I'd say. It justifies the decrease in time; it'd cost more in wages and such.

As for troop trees: Keep the Nords as they are (combo bow/axe infantry) as I'm going to guess that that's what most Nordic raiders would have used. Make the progression to top-tier troops long and hard, though; it's a powerful combo, and you should have to work to reach the top with it.

As for Vaegirs, *please* don't give them mounted archers! That seems rather silly. From what I surmise, they're supposed to have uber-archers, with a fair mix of supporting infantry and some mounted troops. I see their mounted corps as being more like Hussars than Knights: light, agile, and lightning-fast. Excellent for running down enemy infantry. For a historical precedence, look at the English.

Swadian tree looks good, but remove the bowman line. Swadians are like the French: Heavy knights with crossbowmen. The foot-troop line should be nerfed slightly, as the French cared less for footmen.

You've got the right idea for the Rhodoks, they imitate the Swiss.

Khergits. Well, yeah, they're pretty much perfect as-is.

I love the new textures, by the way. More gritty than native; is it possible to add some cuts, dirt, and such, to the surcoats/vests? You'd be a fool to not keep armour clean, so that's already fine.

Idea I've been playing with, a troop trees based on social class.  Recruits come from one of the 3 classes and this determines their levels, upgrade options and equipment.

Maximilian said:
When is the next version gonna be released?

To be honest no idea.  I won't be releasing for .903.  Rumour is the next version of M&B will be out around Valentines Day.

mod looks pretty good. Except:

LCJr said:
Earlier Days minimod
*Completed Khergit troop tree.  Split into archer and melee branches.

The Khergit troop tree is already completed. I play Khergits, the only thing they could possibly be missing is a shield troop, and having the veteran horse archers always have bows.

F50 said:
mod looks pretty good. Except:

LCJr said:
Earlier Days minimod
*Completed Khergit troop tree.  Split into archer and melee branches.

The Khergit troop tree is already completed. I play Khergits, the only thing they could possibly be missing is a shield troop, and having the veteran horse archers always have bows.

The Kherghit troop tree in native needs work IMHO. 

Tribesman(Lv5)
        |
Skirmisher(Lv10)
        |
Horseman(Lv14)
        |              \
Lancer(Lv23)        Horse Archer(Lv14)
                                    |       
                          Vet. Horse Archer(Lv21)

In M&B terms it looks like the Horseman/Horse Archer split should come off the Skirmisher.  But if it is a typo it still hasn't been fixed since the Kherghits were introduced.

Regardless of what Armagan's intentions are I'm basing the Kherghits off the Mongols. Depending on which source you look at they should have around 30-50% heavy cavalry including thier equivalents of knights on armored horses.

serjeant is the archaic form.  You spell it with the "j" and it's just like being at a renaissance fair, sorry faire :grin:

Anyway Valentines Day has come and gone and still no new version of M&B.  So I'm going to try and have an experimental version out in the next few days.  I know as soon as I do this the new version of M&B will come out but I'm tired of waiting.

I'm going to keep it simple so no new, or very minimal, artwork and items.

Factions are being reworked.  Maybe you'll like it and maybe you won't.  I'm trying to do something roughly based on the Baltic region.  I'm not going for a 100% historical mod just something in the ballpark.

Swadia will roughly parallel the Teutonic Order.  Vaegir's are based on the Kievan Rus/Novogordians/Poles mostly the Kievan Rus.  Kherghits are central Asian nomads. 

Nords will be Medieval Scandinavians.  So yes the Viking Age is finally over. They will be getting some knights and crossbowmen.

Rhodoks will be based off the Prussians/Estonians/Finno-Ugarians/Baltic tribes in their own version of the Prussian Revolt.  They're getting overhauled and their lands are going to be more hilly and possibly wooded.  Giving them polearms doesn't seem to make them anti-cavalry troops so let's see what altering the battlefield does. 

Please add your feedback on fighting in forests to this thread http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,33602.msg868250.html

Next the recruitment system has been changed and the troop trees are being overhauled.  As I mentioned a few posts back I'm going to class based troop trees.  Troop names will be kept extremely simple.  I've been playing a few of the historical mods that use cultural troops names without providing any documentation on what they are and it irritates the hell out of me.  How am I supposed to know if I upgrade my weird named recruit to an Oogleygoogley he'll be archer and a Googleyoogley is foot soldier who upgrades to cavalry. 

I'll try to describe the recruitment system.  Each faction will have 10 slots with the 3 class recruit types spread out through them from low to high.  Something like this for example:

1. low 2. low 3. low 4. middle 5. middle 6. middle 7. middle 8. upper 9. upper 10. upper

This hopefully will let me balance or make each faction unique by adjusting the quantity of the different classes.  The Nords will have a smaller chance of getting upper class recruits to represent a smaller and poorer noble class.  The Swadians are conquerers so will have more lower class and upper class recruits but a smaller middle class.  This will hopefully represent subject peasants and knights flocking to their banner in search of the three G's but a slower inflow of middle class colonists or native "converts".

The actual math as it stands now is Player Relation/16 + random number between 0 and 4 or 0-6 + 0-4(minimum of 1).  That is assuming village relations max at 100.  I'm not sure how well this will work but it's easy to change the numbers if it doesn't work well.

Lastly mercenaries.  They will be static as in no more upgrades.  Levels will be in the 15-20 range so they won't be better than your top notch faction troops.  Also I'm adding them into the AI faction armies.  Did it strike anyone else as odd that there's all these mercenaries but the only ones working are Caravan Guards?

About the only thing I can think of is I've made spears and the like either 1 handed or 2 handed.  No more 1H/2H.  The ~25% speed and damage penalty makes them impossible to balance.  They either suck when used 1 handed or are overpowered when used 2 handed.

Lancing, personally I got bored with it many versions ago.  But some of you still haven't yet and would only be a few minutes effort to compile an alternate item_kinds1.txt if there's a demand for it.  It'd just require you to replace the default one and edit one line in the module.ini.

@LCJr: In case you dont know, rumours said that the new version will be ready around this Summer, around June - July, check the news of "" New Paradox Interactive publishing details available"" thread, more specific then this news :  http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=49155&mode=thread&order=0, so plz release ur mod with ease  :mrgreen:. I has always been a fan of mails and chains  :wink:

Arzeal said:
@LCJr: In case you dont know, rumours said that the new version will be ready around this Summer, around June - July, check the news of "" New Paradox Interactive publishing details available"" thread, more specific then this news :  http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=49155&mode=thread&order=0, so plz release ur mod with ease  :mrgreen:. I has always been a fan of mails and chains  :wink:

I believe the Paradox deal refers to a target release of the finished product as in v1.0.  Armagan made a comment the next .9xx beta would be out by Valentines Day.  So I would be expecting a new beta release soon.  I suspect we'll be seeing them come more frequently as the target date for retail release gets closer.

Getting to be more choices for pre-plate mods.  Dark Age:Viking Raiders, Land of Eternal Youth(I think, haven't played it yet) and for the older releases Battle for Sicily and Holy War.

Anyone notice all the Khergits walking around?  Patch uploaded to the Repository.  http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/visit.php?cid=1&lid=705

YEAH! my favorite mod is back in business! I can give you some feedback later tonight, when i have played it a bit?

Edit: okay, its great. I don't like plateamors so really this mod rocks, still i'm looking forward till that you release you're new textures and stuff..

Haven't found any real bugs yet, but still please don't call the crossbow mercs Xbow mercs!!!!

edit2: When i want to hire mercenaries it's hard to find any ranged mercenaries, almost only merc guards. Not a bug, but anyway..

Well just for you I changed the Xbow back to crossbow.  I have a pet peeve with the long troop names keeping you from seeing the upgrade "+" and went overboard with the shortening.

New artwork and items you won't see for .903.  I have recolors, retextures and permission to use items from several talented people but I still think .903 days are numbered.

Anyway I've found a few errors and  tweaked a few things over the last few days.  I want to test it some more and barring problems I will have a patch/upgrade up shortly.

So far I've...

Fixed error in Swadian recruitment.
Fixed several item errors.
Fixed a few other asst'd errors and typos.
Mercenaries tweaked.  Guard and knight are level 20.  All others are level 15.
Better balance of AI Lord party troops.  Parties had too many lower class troops before.
Bandits tweaked and leaders with some tactics skill added.
Village defenders increased in number and slightly improved to "village levy and skirmisher" troops. 
Farmer parties also made village_levy and skirmisher troops.

Character generation overhauled.  Nothing earthshattering just makes some minor attribute,skill and profeiceny tweaks to better tailor your character to your liking. 
-You now choose which kingdom you were born in, preferred weapon and non-combat skill. 
-You gain a small party of troops of the same social status and culture as what you picked. i.e. a Swadian noble will start with 4 Swadian Knights.  A middle class Nord would get 3 Nord Militia, etc...
-Have the option of recruiting a small party of 5 lower class recruits of your culture at game start.
-Still start with cash instead of equipment.

Tweaked the map.  Bumped the hills and added quite a few scattered trees in Rhodok country and elsewhere.  If your system has problems with forests just keep a backup of the maps.txt and parties.txt and use them to overwrite the new ones.

And maybe a few other things I forgot.

One known bug atm.  There are items I've made non-purchaseable but haven't completely disabled.  There's a good chance you could get a "fetch x number of y items" quest that can't be completed.

I'll being putting this up as a patch consisting of just the text files.  Should keep size just under 1 Mb.

Great mod LCJr, you are started to create more distintion with sea of mods out there. I have always been in love with mails rather than plates. Hope you'd keep updating and portin Ealier Days (in case the .903 days r numbered, lol - where did you read that? I though the plan is around May?) I will always cheer for you :wink:
I'm abit confused though, So I will have to download the Earlier Days v0.004 Experimental  from the mbrepository (it doesnt allow the direct link your 1st post, do I have to apply the Earlier Days v.004x patch again? or the newest mod is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom