Earlier Days 4/30/08 v0.006 for .903, see first two posts for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCJr

Knight
my.php

Moved to ModDB.  This thread will no longer be updated.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/10926/earlier-days

Description:  In this mod Calradia roughly mirrors the Baltic region with a technology level approximating Earth's around 1250 AD.    Swadia represents western European crusading orders like the Teutonic Knights.  The Vaegir represent mainly the Kievan Rus with a touch of Polish, Lithuanian and Novogrod thrown in.  The Khergits are Mongols.  Nord's the early medieval Danes.  And the Rhodok's are similar to the Baltic and Finno-Ugarian tribes of the swamps and forests.

Includes Seff's Town Siege Fix v1.03  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,32083.0.html

Install:  Unzip using paths/folder names into your ...Mount&Blade\Modules folder.

By default this version uses a more heavily wooded version of the Native map.  If your system has problems with trees simply copy over the files from the "Native_Map" folder over the originals and you'll be back to the original map.

Credits:

Armagan and the Taleworlds team for making such an entertaining game.

The following people for not only making but also allowing me to use their models.

James - Light Bearded, Bearded, Dane and Mammen axes.  Boar Spear, falchion and saex.  Chekan axe. 

James and Mirathei -Gjermundbu, Vendel and Valsgarde helmets.

Pope - Flanged Mace and "Dagger in Fist" warhammer.

Raptor - 3 maces, spiked club, mallet and 4 spears.

Raz - Club, War Club, Yataghan, "Sugarloaf" Great Helm, 2 turkic domed helmets(metropolian and ghulam2). 

Stoned Dude and Talon - Battle Axe, War Axe, Great Axe from the Standard Weapons Uprgrade Project.

Talon - Replacement Knife and Khyber(Butcher) Knife also from SWUP.

Amarillo was kind enough to map a texture sheet of just round shields so now I can fit 15 shield faces on a single texture sheet.  This means I can do a lot of round shields without bloating the filesize.

Seff for his Town and Siege Fix v1.03.

Thorgrim for BRFedit and the Map Editor.

Winter, Fisheye, Yoshiboy, Nijis, Hardcode, Kon_air, Maw and anyone else I've forgotten who's written a tutorial or answered questions on the modding forums. 

Special thanks to Hellequin for "5 minutes of his time".

Betatesters - DanAngleland and Arzael.

Still looking for feedback on how well the recruitment system does or doesn't work.  For example if you find it too hard to raise your fiefs loyalty to the point it's producing quality recruits or are you better off just hiring mercs. 
Also feedback on the factions themselves like how well they do/don't work.
Any bugs or anomalies you spot.
The wooded map, does it help you the player if you're playing Rhodok?  I doubt it does anything for the AI since AI vs. AI battles appear to be abstracted.

Not so quick rundown on the troop trees and recruitment.

Abbreviations should be pretty obvious.  Vet=Veteran, Mtd=Mounted, and first two letters for faction i.e. Sw=Swadia.

Troop trees are split into lower, middle and upper classes. Lower class troops are levels 5/10/15, middle are levels 10/15/20 and upper are levels 15/20/25.  Equipment and skills are also based on class.  Levies will only have tunic, shield and simple headgear for armor.  Middle class troops start getting real body armor but nothing better than the byrnie/haubergeon.  Upper class troops obviously have the best equipment when they reach top tier.  Pure ranged troops are without shields and no weapons better than a short sword.

Mercenaries, non-faction farmers, townsmen and peasant women no longer upgrade and should be removed.

Mercenaries types are Infantry, Guard, Crossbowman, Light Horse, Horse Archer and Knight.

Most are pretty self explanatory.  Infantry is primarily spear armed.  Guards(think housecarls) on average have better armor than infantry, fewer spears and a chance of having a battle ax.  Light Horse replaces Caravan Guards. Light Horse are lightly armored mounted troops primarily armed with spears.  LH are mounted on Saddle Horses and Coursers so theorectically should be able to ride down horse archers.

SWADIA

(LC) Subject > Levy > Vet. Levy
        > Skirmisher > Vet. Skirmisher  Primarily bows with a few javelins and crossbows.

(MC) Townsman > Militia > Serjeant
                  > Mtd. Serjeant  Trade off, armor remains the same as Militia but gains a horse.
        >Xbowman  > Vet. Xbowman    Crossbows only.

(UC) Squire > Knight > Master Knight    The Master Knight is the best shock cavalry.

AI lord parties may have mercenary Infantry, Xbowmen, Light Horse and Horse Archers.

VAEGIR

(LC) Peasant > Levy > Vet. Levy
            > Skirmisher > Vet. Skirmisher  Bow armed.

(MC) Townsman > Militia > Vet. Militia
                        > Mtd. Militia  Similar to Mtd Serjeant.
              >Bowman > Archer          Primarily bow armed with a few crossbows.

(UC) Young Retainer > Elder Retainer > Knight    Young Retainer's are mediocre horse archers.  Elder has a chance of having a                                                  bow.  Knights are decent shock cavalry.

AI uses mercenary Guard and Horse Archers.

KHERGIT

All Khergits are mounted.  Only melee troops have shields and are guaranteed helmets.

(LC) Subject > Skirmisher > Vet. Skirmisher  Uses jarids and weak bows.

(MC) Tribesman > Archer > Vet. Archer  Bow armed.
                        > Lancer        Melee, chance of bow.

(UC) Noble > Guard > Life Guard        Melee, chance of bow.

AI use no mercenaries.

NORD

(LC) Farmer > Levy > Vet. Levy  Chance of javelin, throwing axes, bow or crossbow.

(MC) Townsman > Militia > Vet. Militia  Chance of bow or crossbow.

(UC) Landowner > Squire > Knight    Landowner on foot with chance of bow or crossbow.  Squire and Knight mediocre shock cavalry.

AI uses mercenary Knights.

RHODOK

All Rhodok troops are infantry.

(LC) Youth > Tribesman > Fighter    Chance of javelin, throwing axes or bow.

(MC) Warrior > Vet. Warrior > Champion    Chance of javelin, throwing axes or bow.

(UC) Young Noble > Noble > Chieftan    Chance of javelin, throwing axes, bow or crossbow.

AI uses no mercenaries.

Recruitment is heavily based on your relations with your fief.  Formula is relation/16 + (random number between 0 and 4).  The resulting number determines which type of recruit you get. 

v0.005b first modification of the recruitment system.
Code:
   All factions.

1  Lower Class
2  Lower Class
3  Middle Class
4  Lower Class
5  Middle Class
6  Upper Class
7  Middle Class
8  Upper Class
9  Middle Class
10 Upper Class

Be warned what follows is a cliched backstory so cheesy it's best read with a glass of wine.  If you're not interested in this kind of stuff stop reading now.

The original inhabitants of our little fantasyland were pre-Khergit nomads and Rhodok like tribals.  The first successful outsiders were the Vaegir who over the last few centuries built a stable kingdom.  In the last century first came the Swadians on their "holy crusade".  The Swadians subjugated the Rhodok tribes who were never able to unite under one ruler.  The Swadian conquests brought them into contact with the Vaegir and  war seemed to be inevitable when a new player arrived on the scene.  Pouring over the mountains came the Khergit horde.  The Khergits crushed the remaining free steppe peoples and managed to take portions of the Swadia and Vaegir kingdoms before they were finally stopped not by the Vaegirs and Swadians but by the death of the Great Khan.  Now the once mighty Khergit Khanate has fragmented into several smaller kingdoms with Sanjar Khan ruling over his corner of Calradia.  In the years following the Khergit invasion both the weakened Swadian and Vaegir kingdom have suffered further terroritorial losses.  The Swadians first lost a good portion of their empire to the Rhodok Revolt.  Planned in secret for many years the Rhodoks finally united under one ruler and reclaimed a portion of their former lands.  Both the Vaegir and Swadians lost their coastal possesions to an invasion of the Vaegir's "cousins" the Nord.  The Nord had long had trading ties to the region and seeing how weak the Vaegir and Swadians had become couldn't let the opportunity pass.  Over the last few years the situation has remained stalemated.  The wars come and go but very little land ever changes hands.

v0.006

Added James' Chekan Axe.  First item specifically made for this mod.

Added the Highlander/Mirathei/NCrawler formation script for AI infantry only.

Added two new improvements to villages.  Irrigation improves the villages production of raw goods like apples, chicken, etc...  Industry improves production of finished goods like butter, dried meat, etc...  These improvements are built in levels up to a max of 4.

School improvement renamed to "Influence the clergy".  Yes the name is a bit clunky.  Now adds +1 to relation every 2 weeks.  Can also now be built in castles and towns that you own.

Added second castle improvement, "Clear land".  Another leveled improvement, max lvl 4, that boosts your rent income.

Completing an improvement adds +6 to your relation with that center.

Build times reduced slightly.

Taxes are now a percentage of the gross equal to your relation.  i.e. if your relationship with a village is 5 you'll only receive 5% of the taxes generated that week.  A message showing the exact numbers is recorded in the game log.

You can now recruit faction troops from castles and towns you own.

Modified recruitment, again.

Overhauled the reinforcement templates.  Kingdom armies, caravans, towns and castles should now get a better force mix.

Tweaked the villagers "fight or flee response".  You might find them a little more willing to put up resistance.

Mercenary Light Horse have had their armor reduced.

Party size of bandits and caravans adjusted.  Feedback would be appreciated.

Other small fixes and tweaks.

v0.005b patch

Recruitment system tweaked.
AI armies number of upper class troops increased slightly.
Native AI tactics tweaked and two new tactics added.
The 3 almost black spears have been made lighter and alpha improved.
Shields guaranteed for Khergit lancers.
Few other minor fixes.

For the .005 release.

Including some items that were graciously donated by some very talented people here.

James - Light Bearded, Bearded, Dane and Mammen axes.  Boar Spear, falchion and saex.  Chekan axe and almond shield.
James and Mirathei -Gjermundbu, Vendel and Valsgarde helmets.
Pope - Flanged Mace and "Dagger in Fist" warhammer.
Raptor - 3 maces, spiked club, mallet and 4 spears.
Raz - Club, War Club, Yataghan, "Sugarloaf" Great Helm, 2 turkic domed helmets(metropolian and ghulam2).  OK the Sugarloaf is a few decades outside the timeframe I've set but it just looks too good to pass up.
Stoned Dude and Talon - Battle Axe, War Axe, Great Axe from the Standard Weapons Uprgrade Project.
Talon - Replacement Knife and Khyber(Butcher) Knife also from SWUP.

Amarillo was kind enough to map a texture sheet of just round shields so now I can fit 15 shield faces on a single texture sheet.  This means I can do a lot of round shields without bloating the filesize.   

Finished with the shields I'll be adding this release.

Vaegir

Nord, Swadian and Vaegier #2.  The Superchicken shield still needs some work around the rivets.

Nord and Swadian heaters.

The round shield collection from left to right and top to bottom.
Row 1:  Back texture, default, Swadian levy, Vaegir levy.
Row 2:  Nord levy, Nord levy, Rhodok levy, Swadian Militia.
Row 3:  Vaegir militia, Nord militia x3.
Row 4:  Rhodok x3, default.
Central boss texture is applied by default.

I seem to be moving away from the rigid faction color idea I originally had. Going more with unique equipment(thanks to the above mentioned contributors) and culturally identifiable designs.

Other changes.

Fixed error in Swadian recruitment.
Fixed several item errors.
Fixed a few other asst'd errors and typos.
Mercenaries tweaked.  Guard and knight are level 20.  All others are level 15.
Working towards a better balance of AI Lord party troops.  Parties had too many lower class troops before.
Bandits tweaked and leaders with some tactics skill added.
Village defenders increased in number and slightly improved to "village levy and skirmisher" troops.
Farmer parties also made village_levy and skirmisher troops.

Character generation overhauled.  Nothing earthshattering just makes some minor attribute,skill and profeiceny tweaks to better tailor your character to your liking.
-You now choose which kingdom you were born in, preferred weapon and non-combat skill.
-You gain a small party of troops of the same social status and culture as what you picked. i.e. a Swadian noble will start with 4 Swadian Knights.  A middle class Nord would get 3 Nord Militia, etc...
-Have the option of recruiting a small party of 5 lower class recruits of your culture at game start.
-Still start with cash instead of equipment.

Tweaked the map.  Bumped the hills and added quite a few scattered trees in Rhodok country and elsewhere.  If your system has problems with forests look in the module folder for a folder name "Native_map" and just copy over  map.txt and parties.txt to get the Native map back.

Outlaws, except Sea Raiders, morphed into tribals.  Represents the elements of the original population that refuse to be assimilated.
Manhunters are now Posse Comitatus, didn't really know what else to do with them. 
Changed outlaw party text to red. and manhunters to blue  Leaving faction colors at default.

Few economy tweaks.  As I expected the impact is marginal.
-Caravans should yield less loot.
-Reduced the maximum amount of good villages can produce.  Which in turn should reduce tax incomes in villages and cities and possibly loot from raids.
-Rents paid are now a percentage equal to player relation.  This is very minor part of the players tax income.  The big hit will be on castles since you can't currently raise relations.  Should reduce your tax income from castles to ~25 denars, sorry.

Renamed all the AI lords with real names from as close as I could get to the mid 13th century.
Swadia - German, Vaegir - pre-christian and christian Russian, Khergit - Mongolian, Nord - Old Danish and Rhodok - Lithuanian
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

On the to-do list is make each sword unique by tweaking it's size and stats.
http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html
http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_geibig.html
For this version I've reset the swords back to their Native values.  Looking through both the posted articles and a few others there are examples of single handed swords with blades reaching the 86-94 cm range.  Geibig shows several that appear to be one handers with blades up to 100 cm.  The point of origin for the length stat in M&B is the models hand and that adds another 6-7 to length.  At least for one handed swords the Native values aren't as far off as I originally believed.  All other weapons the reach matches the actual model size.

Added thrown spear "Angon".  I'm assuming angon is a recognizable term?
Angon ammo set at 2.
Javelin ammo reduced to 3 and will only be used by AI foot troops.
Throwing Axe ammo reduced to 3 also.
Besides being more realistic numbers it will hopefully get the AI infantry into melee a little quicker.

Removed spears being shown on the back when carried and the javelin bag.

Removed Zendar and manhunters.
River Pirates renamed to "outlaws".

Initial spawn point moved to near Bulugha Castle so you have 4 cities fairly close.  Oops, the wrong parties.txt got in, just copy one of the others in the ED_Map_Polearms over.

Re-enabled Armagan & co. variable ransom price script with a slight tweak. 
A lower class recruit should yield 2 denars, typical bandit 10 denars and the top of the upper class tree 52 denars.

To do

Modify existing tactics scripts and try to write a few new ones. Done
Fix any errors that show up.
Get off my ass and do some new textures.

Fix/add alpha channels.  Fix round shield boss on LOD.
Increase color variety of clothing and add more armors.
Do more shield textures.
Add  cloth/caparison  and leather lamellar barded warhorses.
Redo equipment of AI lords.
Re-enable forager and scout parties?
Rebalance armor and weapons.

Love your mod! Been playing since first version came on the repository!
The new trooptrees are genius! The factions colors sure going to be nice when implentet on the battlefield

hellbound said:
Love your mod! Been playing since first version came on the repository!
The new trooptrees are genius! The factions colors sure going to be nice when implentet on the battlefield

Totally agreed, been playing this since .001, and it's been a blast. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for something similar to M&B but with a reworked battle system, more uniform look and feel, and much more balance between mounted and foot troops.

I've been playing since .001, great mod, no plate armors and the colored armors is good. Can't wait for .005

Thanks for the kind words:smile:

I've been debating changing the mercenary troop names to plain names that leave no doubt what they do i.e. light infantry, heavy cavalry, etc...
Leave them as is or go with the descriptive names?

Has anyone experienced the "troop disband crash bug"?  I've only added around 16 new troops so I"m hoping I'm still in the safe zone.

LCJr said:
Thanks for the kind words:smile:

I've been debating changing the mercenary troop names to plain names that leave no doubt what they do i.e. light infantry, heavy cavalry, etc...
Leave them as is or go with the descriptive names?

Has anyone experienced the "troop disband crash bug"?  I've only added around 16 new troops so I"m hoping I'm still in the safe zone.

I say keep them as is, it's really descriptive enough already. And I have yet to experience the troop crash.

I really like this mod due it nice troop tree and uniform look and the lacks of Plate armor  :mrgreen:
but only 1 problem I found annoying: I started the game w. "Unknown Adventurer" and right after I walked outside Zendar I found several Sea riders party waiting for me  :shock:, could u plz change things abit for easier starting?

btw  Yogi has done mod has already done quite a good resizing through Realistic Native Weapons Size mod, why dont you ask him for help?

You also start with a mace, still, as an "Unknown Adventurer".

EDIT: Oh, and I found a bug: the 1H/2H axe (forgot which) doesn't work when you have a shield equipped (for 1H) which I learned the hard way.  :lol:

This looks interesting LCJr, but why not use the Realistic Native Weapons Size package? It would've saved you a ton of job, and I'd be proud to display your mod among those using my package. Even the King-Emperor of Mods, The Last Days, will probably incorporate it soonish! :wink:

Now it looks better than ever, with several new models substituting the most aberrant ones!

Arzeal said:
I really like this mod due it nice troop tree and uniform look and the lacks of Plate armor  :mrgreen:
but only 1 problem I found annoying: I started the game w. "Unknown Adventurer" and right after I walked outside Zendar I found several Sea riders party waiting for me  :shock:, could u plz change things abit for easier starting?

btw  Yogi has done mod has already done quite a good resizing through Realistic Native Weapons Size mod, why dont you ask him for help?

The Sea Raiders was just bad luck or more likely Nord armies driving them towards Zendar.  They spawn right outside of Wercheg and there's a possible second spawn I haven't looked for.  It's exactly the same as in Native.  If you aren't strong enough to fight them simply run away.

Weapons are already resized in v0.004.  There's really nothing to it.  Open a .brf in BRFedit, for example weapon_meshes1.brf.  Select a weapon from the list, check the reach and hit "export".  Then select import and the .obj you just exported.  In the pop up select "custom scale" and set it whatever percentage you think the item needs to be reduced/enlarged.  Tick the "replace selected mesh" and "modify base mesh".  Save and your done.  Only problem I had was finding the damn "show reach tool".  For whatever reason on my comp those buttons and the bar are black.

For that matter there's really nothing to this whole mod.  There's not anything in it that anyone willing to take the time to read the tutorials and do the work couldn't do themselves.  All you need is an idea and some time.

Snook said:
You also start with a mace, still, as an "Unknown Adventurer".

EDIT: Oh, and I found a bug: the 1H/2H axe (forgot which) doesn't work when you have a shield equipped (for 1H) which I learned the hard way.  :lol:

I'll look into the mace, must have missed a line.  Axe is fixed, was missing some animations.  Thank you for finding both those.

The Yogi said:
This looks interesting LCJr, but why not use the Realistic Native Weapons Size package? It would've saved you a ton of job, and I'd be proud to display your mod among those using my package. Even the King-Emperor of Mods, The Last Days, will probably incorporate it soonish! :wink:

Now it looks better than ever, with several new models substituting the most aberrant ones!

Because A.  It's already done in v0.004.  B.  It only takes a few minutes.  and C.  I think you have the swords I checked too short.  Reach appears to start from the center of the models hand not the hilt.

I'm aware of that. 5 cm have been added to the blade length to get the reach stat. :wink:

Example: A "typical" longsword/bastard sword would have a blade length of about 90 cm. The model is scaled so that length stat = 95. (82%)

Doing it your way, the bastard sword would end up with length around 108-110 which is twohander length.

And let me assure you, it takes considerably more than a few minutes to do this properly. Have you rescaled your scabbards, for example? Have you, for that matter, searched for historical data on the size of these weapons?

Because your "typical" length is seriously off:
Wiki on Viking Sword Average blade length: 73,9 cm
Wiki on Arming Sword Average blade length: 73,9 cm

My arming swords are thus 74+5=79. The reason they're mostly length 80 is that I've moved back the grip point a tiny bit to avoid the hand clipping the crossguard, adding a little bit of reach.

The Yogi said:
I'm aware of that. 5 cm have been added to the blade length to get the reach stat. :wink:

Example: A "typical" longsword/bastard sword would have a blade length of about 90 cm. The model is scaled so that length stat = 95. (82%)

Doing it your way, the bastard sword would end up with length around 108-110 which is twohander length.

And let me assure you, it takes considerably more than a few minutes to do this properly. Have you rescaled your scabbards, for example? Have you, for that matter, searched for historical data on the size of these weapons?

Because your "typical" length is seriously off:
Wiki on Viking Sword Average blade length: 73,9 cm
Wiki on Arming Sword Average blade length: 73,9 cm

My arming swords are thus 74+5=79. The reason they're mostly length 80 is that I've moved back the grip point a tiny bit to avoid the hand clipping the crossguard, adding a little bit of reach.

I think I made it very clear I'm not interested.  Now please stop cluttering my mod thread with advertisements for yours.

BTW the Wiki is a good place to start searching for info on a subject but hardly a definitive source.

Snook said:
I believe they've been left "as is" until he gets to it. :p

Actually Snook all weapons have been resized or matched to actual model length in the version(.004) currently up on the Repository.

LCJr said:
I think I made it very clear I'm not interested.

No, but now you have. Before, you just made it seem you thought I had made a mistake regarding the lengths, which I had not. If you don't want it regardless, (don't) be my guest.

While I agree on the limited value of Wiki info, I would like to know your definite source on the average lenght of a viking sword. Because I think you just took my stat and added 5 for the handle, thinking I hadn't done it. :roll:

Anyway, excuse me for trying to save you redundant work and nedless errors. Won't happen again.

LCJr said:
Actually Snook all weapons have been resized or matched to actual model length in the version(.004) currently up on the Repository.

He was talking about the scabbards.

The last shield looks a bit bright.

Maybe try to make some shield that match with in-game heraldry? I know I'd *love* to equip my NPC Heroes and myself with my own colours.

Some questions and suggestions:
>Will you be adding city sieges?
>I dunno if this is already done, but shouldn't archers/crosbowmen be equipped with short swords or better yet, daggers? I saw some with daggers, but I see many with what looks like longswords.
>Some extra bow & sword variety wouldn't hurt.
>Lower the amount of cash you start with, at the moment you begin with a fortune. It'd force you to use the lower-end armours more, which go almost unnoticed. I know why you have the amounts you use now, but really, what "unknown adventurer" would be able to afford upper-tier equipment from the start?

Last shield has bigger problems than being too bright and has been scrapped.  In case anyone is interested it's kite_h and for some reason the straps and sides are mapped to part of the face texture.  End result is the face color and part of the animal showing on the left side and lower straps.  I'm trying the new Norman shields now.

Better than the last one?  Still working on it but it's a start.

I considered using heraldry from the game. But then I also considered there's something like 56 banners.  That better left for the player to do themselves IMHO.

No city sieges.  I'll leave that for Armagan and company.

Missile troops start with small weapons like daggers and hatchets and go up to swords and maces.  Archers are a little bit better armed than crossbow since they run out of ammo so much faster.  I'm also looking at their melee skills compared to equivalent level infantry.  The way the game plays they need to decently armed but they shouldn't double as heavy infantry either.

Swords will get some more variety.  I plan to vary the sizes and stats so each model is a unique weapon.  I've also been collecting models from various sources so there will be a few more weapons and some will have new models.

IMO bow variety is pretty much covered.  There's 3 self and 2 recurve.  You don't get the full potential out of the top two until you hit power draw 7.
Armagan could help out here if he would add some bow specific imod's.

Cash stays as is for now.  One thing to consider is not everyone will have the same purchasing priorities as you do.
edit>  Actually I'll take another look at it.  I keep forgetting Armagan redid the imod price modifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom