Diplomacy Developments

Users who are viewing this thread

As you see we still have snowballing. Problem is not completely solved but it will be better with 1.5.1.

I just had time to go over this in detail, and I really appreciate the effort you put into informing all of us. I have two questions:

This is not only development. Also while peace or war votings clans now care what is the situation of garrisons / food stocks of fiefs (especially their own fiefs).
Doesn't this mean very high prosperity towns (with limited or unstable food stocks) will encourage peace in general?

2. Would it be better for AI clans to start off at negative influence so they wouldn't immediately be able to form armies from Day 1 of the game?

I just had time to go over this in detail, and I really appreciate the effort you put into informing all of us. I have two questions:

1.Doesn't this mean very high prosperity towns (with limited or unstable food stocks) will encourage peace in general?

Yes you are right. In current and past versions (1.5.0 and below) this was main problem actually. These versions also care foods & loyality variables however if there is a problem in any town they add big negatives to WarFatiqueScore (which prevents declearing new wars and creating stable peace times if this value returns big negatives, it is something like war exhaustion) So when a faction gets bigger it has more settlements so settlements which have problems with loyality or food increases so this was ending up with big factions staying in peace because their WarFatiqueScores was big negatives. I changed this method so much. You can see below. Yellow codes are old (1.5.0 and below) WarFatique calculation method and blue codes are new (1.5.1+) WarFatique calculation codes.

MTFbA.png

So in new WarFatiqueScore calculation Food / Loyality / Garrison (new) / Lord party size usage ratio (new) / sieged - raided settlements (new) problems are counted and at the end they are divided to numberOfFiefs / numberOfLords (look at blue part 5) so at final kingdoms only care settlement or lord ratios having problem (not total count like at yellow codes). This ends up better WarFatiuq calculation results. Because if a kingdom gets bigger and if they have 2 settlements having food problems and if they have 20 settlements all they will care only 10% ratio (settlement ratio having problems (2 / 20)) not use directly 2.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a big thanks for this explanation and thread - It sets a Golden standard in How To communicate with their community.

Clearly mexxico is a talented Diplomat to start with.. :smile:

could this thread (and future ones like it if there are more) be pinned so it dosnt get lost just a thought

Pinned list should be a short list (max 4-5 items). These are only development steps, each patch can have several of them. In future there will be more developments like these. Thats why its better these not to be pinned otherwise pinned list become so crowded by time.

Mexxico, any plans to implement proper diplomacy features in game like i listed previously?

I am aganist placing strict rules currently. I was fan of 25 days strict truce period previously because in these times there was no tribute system, player was paying a kingdom 100K to make truce then just 1-2 days later same kingdom was declaring war again so these times strict rules were needed. Now we have tribute system and if a kingdom break truce they lose tribute income. So we can get rid of strict rules like forcing kingdoms X days of truce after peace. Its better to balance things naturally if possible. So if we determine tribute amounts carefully kingdoms will not break truce just after war is declared except some special situations I mentioned before.

About alliances feature I have no information about this. We need to first implement revolts / rebellions. Currently loyality variable of settlements are nearly useless.

Last edited:
An amazing in-depth analysis and explanaitions by mexxico :party:
With this kind of communication, both sides going even beyond what's asked from, everyone benefits: developers having access to more detailed and better organized feedback, making their job easier, and players get a better game, according to their taste, and faster.

I am aganist placing strict rules currently. I was fan of 25 days strict truce period previously because in these times there was no tribute system, player was paying a kingdom 100K to make truce then just 1-2 days later same kingdom was declaring war again so these times strict rules were needed. Now we have tribute system and if a kingdom break truce they lose tribute income. So we can get rid of strict rules like forcing kingdoms X days of truce after peace. Its better to balance things naturally if possible. So if we determine tribute amounts carefully kingdoms will not break truce just after war is declared except some special situations I mentioned before.

About alliances feature I have no information about this. We need to first implement revolts / rebellions. Currently loyality variable of settlements are nearly useless.

What if a peace is made without tribute. Can AI still vote for war let say a day after...? Would it be a problem to have both options implemented ?

What if a peace is made without tribute. Can AI still vote for war let say a day after...? Would it be a problem to have both options implemented ?

Yes two diferent making peace options is currently a problem maybe we should remove making peace from barter by paying 100-200-300K of money. Thats why still we have 20 days of truce after a war decleration as seen in code :

7pWlq.png

By the way this 20 days rule is only applied for AI to declare wars after peace. There is no rule for opposite (peace after war). So there can be quick peace agreement after war is declared now.

Last edited:
Yes two diferent making peace options is currently a problem maybe we should remove making peace from barter by paying 100-200-300K of money. Thats why still we have 20 days of truce after a war decleration as seen in code :

Good to know. I didn't grasp that during the gameplay.. Thanks.

@Blood Gryphon great work. Thanks for these graphs. I will examine all. War time averages seem a bit short. These things will be improved with adjustments in future.

About one of your question :
  • There were eleven 0 day negotiation wars, with oddly 4 of them resulting with the defender winning (meaning that a kingdom declared war on kingdom X and kingdom X immediately got the attacker to pay for peace). Which makes me wonder why in the world would a Kingdom declare war against a kingdom that is strong enough to immediately turn around and force the attacker to pay for peace (Instant losing a war and paying). The other 7 made sense with either the attacker getting paid for peace or the defender paying for peace.
Answer is in these situations one of factions lets say “Faction Y” is already paying high tribute to “Faction X”. They started war aganist “Faction X” to not to pay this. (we can need some another feature here like decided to stop paying tribute instead of declearing war) Just after this war declaration enemy accepts lower tribute payment and it is ok for “Faction Y” also. Then they make peace even still “Faction Y” still make (a lower) tribute payment.
I'm sorry you mentioned that before and i must of forgotten when looking at them. As you said i went back and looked at those 4 occurrences and it was indeed factions getting better tribute deals. So we are all good there and honestly its awesome they are doing these negotiations!

I looked 1.5.1 data through the war/dec's to see if I find any instances. First out of 115 finished wars there were only 3 that ended without tribute and none of those declared war on those same factions next day. Most the times peace is being made because one of the factions is all of a sudden in to many wars.

Thank you really much for hard work and information. I am glad to see how the game will change in 1.5.1 and this looks like a huge step on the right direction.

On the other hand, I am reading some things which I think could be still improved and the result would be even better:

- After reading your information, it looks like there are still too much war declarations in 1.5.1 and they happen pretty often. Factions are still easily declaring wars when they are already involved on another one. I am not saying that this should never happen but I think that factions should be less likely to do it.
- Some factions which are involved in a 1v1 war are maybe asking for peace too soon. For example, Battania and Western Empire making peace pretty early when probably not much had happened before they decide to make peace.
- I personally dislike the constantly war/peace declarations and they make feel the game less immersive. I mean, it makes the game feels much more random and cahotic and I think it is not good for gameplay. This is the main reason because I removed diplomacy fixes mod after giving it a try.

I personally would like to see these changes:

- War/Peace declaration chance should be reduced.
- Factions fighting a 1v1 war where there is not a clear winner should keep fighting and do not make peace in a few days. This way we avoid some factions making peace too early and declaring war on other kingdoms which are already fighting other wars, forcing them to make peace too early.
- Kingdoms fighting one war should not declare new wars pretty often. This should still happen but it should be rare.

Not sure if what I am asking for is too hard to do or not, but the result would be probably pretty good in terms of avoiding this endless war/peace declaration loop which a lot of people dislike. Thanks!
What interesting is if you look at my graphs, you actually see most factions have a main enemy whose wars last at least 30 days. But now that factions only really want to be in one war, these other shorter wars are like turf wars to see whose the strongest in the moment and who should pay tribute while a faction continues to fight its main enemy. Its quite interesting.

I looked 1.5.1 data through the war/dec's to see if I find any instances. First out of 115 finished wars there were only 3 that ended without tribute and none of those declared war on those same factions next day.

Thanks for letting me know @Blood Gryphon

Most the times peace is being made because one of the factions is all of a sudden in to many wars.

Which is the main problem after all....:smile:

To the people who are requesting features such as Alliances, Non aggression pacts etc. need to understand that the fine tuning mexxico is doing here is what underpins the possibility of those features ever working.

For example you bring in Alliances as a diplomatic option, and the two largest faction just form an alliance early and steamroll the game. Alliances are a good addition to the game only in so far as the campaign AI logic is also really good. In a way that benifets gameplay. If you are looking for alliances to be a rubber banding mechanic to stop factions from galloping away with the lead, all that logic needs to be written and fine tuned.

Did someone say rebellions?!?! this is my most awaited feature. I feel like revolts give the independent lord the best chance to rise without swearing fealty to another.

can you comment on if these rebellions will only be from settlements loyalty score, being peasant rebellions, or if we will see vassals themselves rebelling against a hated king as well?

Back
Top Bottom