Beta Patch Notes v1.2.0-v1.2.6

Users who are viewing this thread

I totally agree.

But saying CK3 has more depth for dynasty management is not really a scoop. I mean, it's kind of obvious. In fact, I actually wrote this down myself in the post you have quoted

As Gricken just said: "Telling me to play a different game won't fix this game though."

The whole point is to discuss stuff that has been initially implemented in Bannerlord and need to be improved. And yes, there is a dynasty management system in Bannerlord, but it's (still) in an embryonic state.

Sorry to insist, but Banner Kings is a solution, well inspired by CK, that should be implemented in the game. And it works, I use it for ages.

Banner Kings provides many features that are in CK3. Succession, lord/count/duke trees, settlement management, titles, faith, you can even knight any companions and check the option the generate a LOT of wanderers that will be in service of others lords (I mean AI lords) so they can knight them as well at some point, give them lands and so on.

Suddenly, that is a lot of characters in the map (at the price of performance, sadly, but you can still uncheck some options).

Want more unique interactions as well ? Use Nemesis.

I could go like this forever thanks to some amazing modder ideas. But just add these two mods for testing, pretty sure you won't be able to play without then.

Solutions are right under our nose. Taleworlds just has to go on Nexusmods and pick one/two ideas like they did with weather or kingdom destruction, polish it and release that in every new patch from now.

It's november 2023, clock is ticking, the game needs a huge boost or it will stay the same in ten years (even more ?).

Banner Kings is a great mod and fun for a lot of people. But I watched a streamer try it before I was going to, and he removed it after a few days saying it was way to slow and boring and totally slowed down the game to a crawl. So it's not for everyone and acting like we need BannerKings in the base game is wrong. It's too specific and leans to far into too many complicated and abstract concepts to be fun for the mainsteam auidence. Like hell, I played CK2 and CK3 for a while and enjoyed myself, but the idea of putting the word "Demesne" in Bannerlord just sends shivers down my spine.

For what its worth since it seems like no one can compliment Bannerlord around here is that I love the family system in the game, it's such a massive improvement to Warband and really adds a lot to the game for now. Building out your clan and sending different people off to be caravaneers or governors or to just form their own parties is awesome and fun.

Can it be added to and improved? Sure. But in general I agree with Gadheras. Bannerlord is not CK3 and CK3 is not Bannerlord.

Banner Kings is a great mod and fun for a lot of people. But I watched a streamer try it before I was going to, and he removed it after a few days saying it was way to slow and boring and totally slowed down the game to a crawl. So it's not for everyone and acting like we need BannerKings in the base game is wrong. It's too specific and leans to far into too many complicated and abstract concepts to be fun for the mainsteam auidence. Like hell, I played CK2 and CK3 for a while and enjoyed myself, but the idea of putting the word "Demesne" in Bannerlord just sends shivers down my spine.

For what its worth since it seems like no one can compliment Bannerlord around here is that I love the family system in the game, it's such a massive improvement to Warband and really adds a lot to the game for now. Building out your clan and sending different people off to be caravaneers or governors or to just form their own parties is awesome and fun.

Can it be added to and improved? Sure. But in general I agree with Gadheras. Bannerlord is not CK3 and CK3 is not Bannerlord.
Yes, but we have to consider Banner Kings as a project done by modders on their spare time. At least some people has done it.

Imagine this be polished by a studio, like TaleWorlds, this could be another story (or maybe not ?).

Yes we are talking a lot about CK3, because it's hard to discuss about dynasty management and avoid it. I mean, it's not like there are plenty of games that provide that kind of feature (at this level).

But no one is saying Bannerlord should beat CK3 or be the next CK3, these are both different games with their own philosophy and balance.

That being said, as I mentioned above, Bannerlord has already a kind-of-dynasty management system in a (very) early stage.

Same with the kind-of-warehouses stuck at level 1 for ages (slightly improved with 1.2.0) or the kind-of-smithing (where we still can't save weapon designs and craft armor parts).

These things already exist in the game, now it needs to be improved (for good) to add more depth to the game and fits with Calradia.

Finally, watching youtubers testing mods is one thing, but testing it ourselves (as I do) provide even more clues.

Last edited:
Yes, but we have to consider Banner Kings as a project done by modders on their spare time. At least some people has done it.

Imagine this be polished by a studio, this could be another story.

Yes we are talking a lot about CK3, because it's hard to discuss about dynasty management and avoid it. I mean, it's not like there are plenty of games that provide that kind of feature (at this level).

But no one is saying Bannerlord should beat CK3 or be the next CK3, these are both different games with their own philosophy and balance.

That being said, as I mentioned above, Bannerlord has already a kind-of-dynasty management system in a (very) early stage.

Same with the kind-of-warehouses stuck at level 1 (slightly improved with 1.2.0) or the kind-of-smithing (where we can't even save design or craft armor parts).

And since it already exist it needs to be improved to add more depth and fit with the game.

Finally, watching youtubers testing mods is one thing, but testing it ourselves (as I do) provide even more clues.

There is a few things I would like see be changed or added to the family mechanics such as;

No kids is born inherit evil or good.... They at large product of their upbringing. Have some events possible trigger based on their education focus when they grow up that could make them pick up bad/good perks and traits. If you want them to focus on roguery they should be bound to lean towards pick up negative/bad traits. Stewardship/medicine, pick up good traits. etc. When you arrange a marriage for a female you should imho get a choice to perhaps "pay some extra" to have the male join your clan, rather than the female pick up and leave and join theirs, or even maybe offer them to start a new clan/noble house in your own kingdom...

If you look at what you can do with your family members in the game. Which is basically arrange marriages. Assign as govenors or party leaders (or roles in your own party). It fullfill its purpose. It's easy for people to say they want "add this and that" and then tell people if you don't like it then just don't make use of it. But some of the wants of people will change the game to a degree it would force people who isn't interested to have to deal with it. Game development at large isn't juist to add a bunch of features and then give the players switches and sliders to turn off/on content willy nilly. Even a game such as Stellaris with all its DLC's and updates over the years. As a player you end up get things added to the game you don't like because it's part of a dlc you might not even want to get.

Save designs for smithing would be great. I only make use of smithing really to make weapons for myself and the family/companions, other than that I find the whole thing tedious and abusive with all the clicks.

Upgrade warehouse capacity for a workshop?. Unless you a compulsive horder, idk... Once you get a fief you end up with unlimited stash storage. Maybe they could expand on the "retreat" location and make you able to develop it more like your own clan homestead with storage and other facilities. (something modders could most likely add if they wanted too).

Nous sommes maintenant à la mi-novembre et nous n’avons toujours pas de mise à jour. Le triste état dans lequel nous en sommes avec ce jeu est tout simplement irréel. Il vaut mieux que ce soit une mise à jour massive du jeu, si ce n’est pas le cas, alors qu’est-ce qui se passe chez TW pour pomper des mises à jour qui prennent autant de temps ? Est-ce un manque de talent ?
+1

But some of the wants of people will change the game to a degree it would force people who isn't interested to have to deal with it. Game development at large isn't juist to add a bunch of features and then give the players switches and sliders to turn off/on content willy nilly. Even a game such as Stellaris with all its DLC's and updates over the years. As a player you end up get things added to the game you don't like because it's part of a dlc you might not even want to get
Well...adding a massive undead invasion out the blue, that is something people might disagree with, because it's too surprising and probably has nothing to do with the game (that being said, I would have enjoy this 🙃).

But some people asked for improved warehouses and got improved warehouses.

So I don't see why asking for improved dynasty management would be less legitimate, since we can already have children and select heirs in Bannerlord. It's no even a DLC, it's in the game.

No one is asking Bannerlord to take an unexpected U turn by adding weird mechanics, but to improve features already implemented in the game.

Last edited:
in CK3 there is thousands of characters, and a map that is many times the size of the one in Bannerlord. If you want the depth and width of CK3 when it come to family/dynasty, then Bannerlord just to small a game to accomodate it imho.
I would have assumed since scale is smaller it would be easier to make it more in depth and fleshed out when it comes to certain elements. CK3 has its own faults as a game and there are certain aspects I would want in Bannerlord while others I would prefer to keep in CK3. Getting wounded with the possibility to remain so for years in game or just straight up lose a limb would suck severely. Is it realistic, yes very much so and would probably be apart of the allure but once it happens to me it becomes a different issue.
There is a few things I would like see be changed or added to the family mechanics such as;

No kids is born inherit evil or good.... They at large product of their upbringing. Have some events possible trigger based on their education focus when they grow up that could make them pick up bad/good perks and traits. If you want them to focus on roguery they should be bound to lean towards pick up negative/bad traits. Stewardship/medicine, pick up good traits. etc. When you arrange a marriage for a female you should imho get a choice to perhaps "pay some extra" to have the male join your clan, rather than the female pick up and leave and join theirs, or even maybe offer them to start a new clan/noble house in your own kingdom...

If you look at what you can do with your family members in the game. Which is basically arrange marriages. Assign as govenors or party leaders (or roles in your own party). It fullfill its purpose. It's easy for people to say they want "add this and that" and then tell people if you don't like it then just don't make use of it. But some of the wants of people will change the game to a degree it would force people who isn't interested to have to deal with it. Game development at large isn't juist to add a bunch of features and then give the players switches and sliders to turn off/on content willy nilly. Even a game such as Stellaris with all its DLC's and updates over the years. As a player you end up get things added to the game you don't like because it's part of a dlc you might not even want to get.

Save designs for smithing would be great. I only make use of smithing really to make weapons for myself and the family/companions, other than that I find the whole thing tedious and abusive with all the clicks.

Upgrade warehouse capacity for a workshop?. Unless you a compulsive horder, idk... Once you get a fief you end up with unlimited stash storage. Maybe they could expand on the "retreat" location and make you able to develop it more like your own clan homestead with storage and other facilities. (something modders could most likely add if they wanted too).

I think traits should be passed down in a sense. I don't think they come up until the child is about 4 or 8 but I agree that it should be based on their upbringing as well. If the father has valor and the mother is calculating the child should have one, both and a third or 4th trait based on their upbringing or a life events. I like the idea of being able to create a new clan based on a family clan member and their spouse or being able to marry your women and not lose them, but there are aspects of the game people already don't want to deal with that are implemented within the game. One for me is the culture, like I get why folks wanted the children to take the main characters culture but it should have been an option that we get to choose between ours and the spouses, based on how we want to expand the kingdom.They could either spend time with my siblings for my culture or their grandparents and uncles for their mothers and this could also affect trait variation as your wife's household has more negative than positive so the child may have a disposition towards negative traits. While stash is handy for storing goods for the workshops I feel like storage is a bit more intentional and I am on console so I am unsure if that update made it to the systems as of yet so I cant say how effective it is or isn't but at this point in my game play I might not use it as though I never needed it originally. I did find it tedious to continuously re-do caravans after they would be captured mainly from war, or bounce around the map buying up goods and moving them to my workshops early on. My point is we all have to deal with parts of the game we don't want to deal with. I get your point with the smithing, the killer for me is when I update their perks and skill and have to undo everyones that I did first just to fix the one I messed up because I meant for him to have 6 social and 5 intel not 7 social and 4 intel or early game buying goods to sell back to the town constantly to make product early on and my personal favorite....marrying the oldest woman in the clan off. Im not saying change that entirely but it should be an option for me to "suggest" to the clan head or father that our "children" spend time together to see if they are actually compatible and if they are you can choose to put forth a marriage offer.

By the way, regarding dynasty and clan members.

If making children not appear as clones is very difficult, at least make it so they spawn with different hairstyles, or that players may visit the barber and change the hairstyle of family members. The fact that the two brothers you spawn with in Campaign mode are exact copies is very frustrating. So is the fact that my two sons are. Its impossible to tell them apart. Changing hair and facial hair at the barber rectify this at least somewhat. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

By the way, regarding dynasty and clan members.

If making children not appear as clones is very difficult, at least make it so they spawn with different hairstyles, or that players may visit the barber and change the hairstyle of family members. The fact that the two brothers you spawn with in Campaign mode are exact copies is very frustrating. So is the fact that my two sons are. Its impossible to tell them apart. Changing hair and facial hair at the barber rectify this at least somewhat. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
there the different colour in hair and eyes too, they should work on that, clone are the major problem... they already removed the dead lords counting on the clan limit, so that's a progress

I would have assumed since scale is smaller it would be easier to make it more in depth and fleshed out when it comes to certain elements. CK3 has its own faults as a game and there are certain aspects I would want in Bannerlord while others I would prefer to keep in CK3. Getting wounded with the possibility to remain so for years in game or just straight up lose a limb would suck severely. Is it realistic, yes very much so and would probably be apart of the allure but once it happens to me it becomes a different issue.
I would love to have my characters, family members and companions wounded, even infirm, ill, mad, with smallpox/leper (or something with another name that fits with the lore) and so on.

I'd also like to see more interaction between family members and characters in general, with love, treason, plots, murders, instead of NPC that just follows everything I say like robots.

Let say my character has been wounded in a battle and is now infirm. His brother and his allies just murdered him to take the thrown. Now that I have selected my eldes child as heir, I have to gather an army to confront him. A simple medieval tale that I'd love to see in Bannerlord, rather than tastless snowballing conquests.

We take CK3 as the main example, because it provides such great mechanics like this. But I don't think we should copy/past stuff from a game to another. Bannerlord can beneficiate a lot with similar features, but these additions should also fit with the game scale. I'm not a game dev, but I'm pretty sure is something to do with these ideas.

Last edited:
I would love to have my characters, family members and companions wounded, even infirm, ill, mad, with smallpox/leper (or something with another name that fits with the lore) and so on.

I'd also like to see more interaction between family members and characters in general, with love, treason, plots, murders, instead of NPC that just follows everything I say like robots.

Let say my character has been wounded in a battle and is now infirm. His brother and his allies just murdered him to take the thrown. Now that I have selected my eldes child as heir, I have to gather an army to confront him. A simple medieval tale that I'd love to see in Bannerlord, rather than tastless snowballing conquests.

We take CK3 as the main example, because it provides such great mechanics like this. But I don't think we should copy/past stuff from a game to another. Bannerlord can beneficiate a lot with similar features, but these additions should also fit with the game scale. I'm not a game dev, but I'm pretty sure is something to do with these ideas.

I don't think every player would share that want in regard of have their player character become infirm etc -) I had enough games of CK3 where I ended up almost yell at the screen. But unlike CK3, you can't just get hold of a good commander to leader your army in Bannerlord. See your high skill character get suddenly replaced by a low skill one, when consider what it take to level up in Bannerlord. I don't see people to happy about such -)

I don't think every player would share that want in regard of have their player character become infirm etc -) I had enough games of CK3 where I ended up almost yell at the screen. But unlike CK3, you can't just get hold of a good commander to leader your army in Bannerlord. See your high skill character get suddenly replaced by a low skill one, when consider what it take to level up in Bannerlord. I don't see people to happy about such -)
Looks like something players could decide to activate or not, like the actual birth and death.

Some mods also give the choice to check/uncheck options in-game.

If some players prefer to play easy mode with a immortal god as a main character, I really don't mind.

I guess I've seen enough games like that to be fair.

But I don't think this is a reason to get rid of cool ideas and never polish a game. And Bannerlord does need polishing. Like...a lot.

Allowing players to enable (or not) some features is an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the game as we want, whatever if we are chill players or more demanding ones (probably like me).

Let's call this the power of flexibility.

Last edited:
Looks like something players could decide to activate or not, like the actual birth and death.

Some mods also give the choice to check/uncheck options in-game.

If some players prefer to play easy mode with a immortal god as a main character, I really don't mind.

I guess I've seen enough games like that to be fair.

But I don't think this is a reason to get rid of cool ideas and never polish a game. And Bannerlord does need polishing. Like...a lot.

Allowing players to enable (or not) some features is an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the game as we want, whatever if we are chill players or more demanding ones (probably like me).

Let's call this the power of flexibility.
See when you first proposed the idea instinctively, yes I would like the more realistic aspect but on the other hand I am used to the realism that bannerlord already provides (which is quite inaccurate) thus I would piggy back off @Gadheras earlier statements when referring to the aspects of play that would be annoying to deal with especially since they are saying traits will be randomized. However if you make such elements optional as you stated above this allows players to adjust to the new settings and choose whether or not they wish to be bothered with them or not. I wouldn't mind if I could auto select certain perks or skill trees I would want clan members who descend from my brothers to focus on consistently so I wouldn't have to deal with the younger members milestone notifications mounting up on themselves and also set it to where I manually select the skills for my main characters direct descendants. Also I understand my nephews not calling me "uncle" but my grandkids could at least acknowledge our relationship :sad:

All this talk about traits. In the end, they end up mattering so little that it makes almost no difference what traits a character has. Perhaps if they expanded the usefulness of traits and/or gave them a bigger effect, then arguing about traits would make more sense.
For me personally, I wish that traits affected the AI of the NPC. They don't even need to be deterministic. Instead they could just alter probabilities and weights. Cruel lords should be more likely to do X, Y and Z and less likely to do A, B, C. Merciful lords just the opposite etc.

@Dejan
I have a suggestion about units after battles in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. For Example, after defeating an enemy army that had captured multiple allied armies or lords of my kingdom, it turns out that I have around 800 units available to add to my army. These are the troops that were captured by the enemy ready to join my army, apart from the prisoners.

However, if I choose not to recruit any of these troops, they are automatically discarded, which represents a significant waste of units. This situation is repeated when capturing a castle or city, where I have more than 800 troops left ready to join my army, but I am forced to discard them because my army is already full.
My usual approach in these cases is to recruit all the troops and then distribute them among the lords who are part of my army or leave them in the nearest city or castle, if possible. Otherwise these troops are discarded entirely, but it can be a bit annoying because of the time you waste doing this. But this can be automated or improved so that it automatically happens after each battle.

My proposal is this: when I lead an army with multiple lords and discard these troops after the battle, the AI should focus on completing the armies of the other lords whenever possible. They may not be able to do so due to lack of resources such as money or food, but if I discard troops, the rest of the lords should try to recruit them in order to make the most of these valuable units, especially those of higher rank.
In the case of capturing a castle or city, after discarding troops from both myself and the lords of my army, the remaining units could remain as a garrison in these buildings. In this way, all the troops would be fully used, avoiding waste at the end of the game.

Also correct me if they are already in the patch notes or have already been mentioned before, I appreciate you reading this :grin:

Back
Top Bottom