Beta Patch Notes e1.7.0

Users who are viewing this thread

afaik pila were switched from javelins into spears some time ago.
Oh...must have missed it. Doesn´t make sense for me but ok.

Tactics[edit]​

Legionaries of the late republic and early empire often carried two pila, with one sometimes being lighter than the other. Standard tactics called for Roman soldiers to throw one of them (both if time permitted) at the enemy, just before charging to engage with the gladius; however, Alexander Zhmodikov has argued that the Roman infantry could use pila at any stage in the fighting.[8]

The effect of the pilum throw was to disrupt the enemy formation by attrition and by causing gaps to appear in any protective shield wall.[2] The design of the pilum's tip is such that once wedged inside a shield, it is difficult to remove: a shield thus penetrated by a pilum became very awkward to wield, and was usually discarded. This resulted in the aforementioned gaps in the protective shield wall, which could then favor the short gladius in tight hand-to-hand mêlée.

Pila could also be used in hand-to-hand combat; one documented instance of this occurred at the Siege of Alesia, and another during Mark Antony's Parthian campaign.[9] Additionally, pila could be employed as a thrusting implement and a barrier against cavalry charges.[10] Some pila had small hand-guards, to protect the wielder if he intended to use it as a melee weapon, but it does not appear that this was common.[citation needed]

I just had a visual glitch after a battle:

Unbenannt.png

A simple reload fixed it.
AFAIK the pila is still throwable, but most of the time the troops won't throw the last throwable weapon and the pilum is just a single stack weapon.
I don´t like this change, a command maybe would be nice so I can tell my troops to throw them. I´m also not sure if I ever saw them using the pilum as a melee weapon.

@Dejan Would it be possible to restore the ability for throwing spears to actually be throwable again? It doesn't make sense for something like a pilum to be unthrowable.

Haven't played since September of 2020 and a lot of patch notes make me wonder what Taleworlds has been doing with their time. This patch looks promising enough that I'm reinstalling. Thanks for your work.

Ouuhhhh big one ! Bravo
  • Bastard weapons can now be used as one-handers by using the alternative switch toggle while they are in the two-handed mode. They still switch between one-handed and two-handed mode automatically by wielding/sheathing a shield. +1 to this one. A good Spirit came back in your team, dev!
Now you can fix the damn cav ai, who still aim the ground with lance.

Last edited:
Started a new game with 1.7 beta and got my brothers and sisters back, now Phasos is 17 and still a baby in the screen and I can't use him as a character, he never seems to grow up? Anyone notice this or is it already reported?

Has anyone had any one of the new empire crown spawn in a city shop? I've not come across them yet on any of my saves. Is this a bug or what? The battanian highland crown appear pretty early on though. Is there something wrong with the empire ones?

Back
Top Bottom