? Alpha & Beta Branches Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Great news, thank you for testing! I'll put that in Blue then, a working feature, was it similar to pre-Beta?
Not even close. Overall, AI blocking is still terrible compared to what it was before, even on challenging and vs the highest level units.
Shield units do block more often now, but you can just spam mouse 1 vs anyone without a shield.

Not even close. Overall, AI blocking is still terrible compared to what it was before, even on challenging and vs the highest level units.
Shield units do block more often now, but you can just spam mouse 1 vs anyone without a shield.
Ok thank you, I will put the new feature (Shield units block more) in Blue, but I'll leave the issue from the start of the Beta (AI Blocking is broken) in Red until it is similar to pre-Beta!

This one works!

There is a lot of clipping with your sword embedding itself within the soldier behind you, but gone are the days of hitting the shield of friendly units with the overhead slash.
Brilliant, it's now in Blue in the main post! Would you mind elaborating on this? The clipping is animation-only?
Thank you for testing, that would conclude testing for the 20/04/2020 update unless there are some bugs not found yet.

That's brilliant! It's now in Blue in the main post!
Thank you for testing, that would conclude testing for the 20/04/2020 update unless there are some bugs not found yet.
I think I should add something on top of this.

After further testing, because of this change of attacks no longer being blocked, battles are now at least 4x as fast with the feed going absolute bonkers upon heavy infantry engagements. Tested this in both custom battles and campaign.

A 500 vs 500 in custom battles lasted 2 minutes in shield wall, whereas before it would take up to 4-5. Theoretically, that isn't a large gap, but 120 seconds of fighting allows for extra tactics in the campaign where it could be vital, however, there is literally no need since infantry engagements obliterate morale and troops quickly now.

I suggest green, but of course, I'll let you decide.

I'm not sure if this update was supposed to help spearmen AI better deal with cavalry at all, but they're still pretty abysmal at it. Can't hit anything.
Here's the result of 100 cavalry set to charge vs. 250 AI spearmen:
Cav-vs-Inf-2.png

Still hear tons of the characteristic "thwack" of spear hafts making contact.

I'm not sure if this update was supposed to help spearmen AI better deal with cavalry at all, but they're still pretty abysmal at it. Can't hit anything.
I don't reckon of anything mentionning that spearmen AI should be better against cavalry, they raised the blocking ability of shield units and weapon level all around but that's it. We just have to hope that they'll introduce bracing spears at some point.

Cav-vs-Inf-2.png

Still hear tons of the characteristic "thwack" of spear hafts making contact.
Let me just speak from my testing during the closed beta. Through out the beta spearman against cav was a big issue that went back and forth on who could easily win. At first spears couldnt do **** to cav and would glance off a horse more often than not, then they adjusted it so spears would hit and stop more often and the results ended up with cav being utterly useless and not used. They found a decent middle ground for the multiplayer by the end of the closed beta, but it doesnt seem to translate over to the AI very well. All i can say is it will likely take awhile for them to find the right balance for spear troops being useful against cav but not making cav totally useless. Harder to balance than it seems.

This one works!

There is a lot of clipping with your sword embedding itself within the soldier behind you, but gone are the days of hitting the shield of friendly units with the overhead slash.
Stabs still seem to be a problem. They are also bether than before but you still easely get stuck on allies.

I don't reckon of anything mentionning that spearmen AI should be better against cavalry, they raised the blocking ability of shield units and weapon level all around but that's it. We just have to hope that they'll introduce bracing spears at some point.
Right, right, I know. But I think part of the problem is that the AI bunch together and can't swing their spears because they try to stay in formation and the horses smash them all together. So tangentially related I guess.

I thought it was just animation-related, but what you describe is quite an unintended consequence. I'll put it back in Grey until more testing and I might split it in two categories : the working feature of shieldwall not preventing friendly attacks, and the issue.
What do you reckon is the source of this time-reduction exactly?
The issue IS the fact that weapons aren't blocked by allies from behind. The issue was never a player-only problem, it affected every agent on the field. Basically, attacks would be halted, meaning less death overall.

Now that everyone can swing fine, the nature of M&B combat being able to one-shot people really shines, since now EVERY agent isn't blocked meaning most to all attacks are now connecting with the opponent as opposed to hitting the shields and heads of allies from before.

The issue IS the fact that weapons aren't blocked by allies from behind. The issue was never a player-only problem, it affected every agent on the field. Basically, attacks would be halted, meaning less death overall.

Now that everyone can swing fine, the nature of M&B combat being able to one-shot people really shines, since now EVERY agent isn't blocked meaning most to all attacks are now connecting with the opponent as opposed to hitting the shields and heads of allies from before.
I reckon it's a dangerous concoction of friendly units not halting attacks and blocking being broken. So they are many hits, no proper defence and therefore troops die a lot.

Great news, thank you for testing! I'll put that in Blue then, a working feature, was it similar to pre-Beta?
Also, did you noticed if the AI can block without a shield?

Hero in tournament blocked alright with a one-handed sword, steppe bandits in bandit camp not much. All the tourney opponents blocked with shield.

This is of course ignoring the issues with the pirouette strat, where the AI blocks little.

I reckon it's a dangerous concoction of friendly units not halting attacks and blocking being broken. So they are many hits, no proper defence and therefore troops die a lot.
I tested 500 vs 500 infantry, put my men in shieldwall (all carrying spears but they never use them, they only use their swords) and the AI got destroyed in around 2 - 3 minutes.

Hero in tournament blocked alright with a one-handed sword, steppe bandits in bandit camp not much. All the tourney opponents blocked with shield.

This is of course ignoring the issues with the pirouette strat, where the AI blocks little.
This is looking so much better than before! In an update or two if they continue to update the Combat AI it might get back to the level it was before the Beta, but with the weapon skill instead of the overall level.

Back
Top Bottom