Users who are viewing this thread

Varangians seem very hard to get in a linear 3 tier troop tree, and still be distinguishing enough and with logical progression in armor.
I was dealing with the "Nordic Guard" before, as you can see in the OP, but it was just 1 unit, though i still have plenty material gathered then, related to Varangian aesthetics.

Anyway, today i accidentally stumbled upon an interesting post from a while back, regarding minor factions :

This could mean so many things . . .

Back in early June you could choose King Dehert as a skin-perk for the Vlandian knight.

You could also choose the golden boar company skin for the Vlandian Sharpshooter as a perk.

As far as the supposed Varangian faction lore goes, we don`t know it`s name, nor banner...or if it is now replaced by the Hidden Hand, Embers of the Flame or Legion of the Betrayed (still no word from TaleWorlds on the discrepancy concerning Empire`s minor factions i mentioned some time ago).

What i do know, is what i would imagine them to look like, and what role to fulfill. I see them as a very heavy infantry faction, with even the 1st tier of soldiers having some decent armor. The second tier would have a lamellar armor over gambeson, the only chainmail would be on boots and a chain facemask connected to the gambeson, the 3rd and the highest tier would have elite lamellar over mail, with full chain under shortened kettle helmet, which is the most recognisable feature of the Varangians.

1st tier would be equipped with a shield, spear and a sword, and the 2nd and 3rd tier would have all that plus a heavy 2H axe, same as the leader of the minor faction.

EDIT: Edited the Hardened a bit, i forgot to alter an amor piece :smile:

Of the four, the one I like best and the one that most complements your original Nordic Guard is the Nordic Guard Veteran. I would certainly include these. The one that squeaks to me (with all the love, I tell you) is the Alolouthos; Sutton Hoo facial mask + ottoman/indopersian chainmail? too exotic for me, mate. :lol:

No problem whatsoever, we all have tastes  :wink:
The exact piece of armor i used on the leader is actually the Moro Armor, from the Philipines, but it is very similar to an armor i saw a warrior used in a certain episode of the Vikings series (couldn't find the exact one because i haven't actually watched the series, just caught an episode by accident, but i remember that armor), and almost the exact one Stanis Baratheon in the series i did watch, i liked it much for this ? .

The Sutton Hoo helmet was a must for me ?

All we are making here are to be considered as rough guidelines, there is suppose to be several variations for the same unit, about 3-4 different looks in total, as we see in the multiplayer.

I would add much more and do things different to the Nordic Guard if i was to do them again, but i hope just a clue is enough from me, if it was to be noticed by the devs.

2 sketches in a row is enough for me for the time being, i leave the stick to the others here ( you, Terco, included ) while i accumulate inspiration  :fruity:

Piconi said:
I like this, thanks for making my suggestion.!
Maybe the first on left would need the same helmet as other 2, but without face chain . . .but like this is also great work ! Imagine if we see a skin like this ? for free of course ?

Oh, now i see where you got inspiration from,nevermind the helmet, its ok
KqeB0.jpg

7uAQo.jpg

Well, that's how I think the elite cavalry troop-tree for the empire could be
KltIqnx.png
I also thought that you could add a unit called "patrician young" that would be a unit prior to "equite" and would function as units such as the peasant or villager. You could not recruit, but we can find him as a prisoner of deserters or looters. And as equipment they will have a horse, sword and an elegant tunic XD
The equites are young members of the calradian nobility. They could carry lance, sword, shield and javelins; and works as skirmish cavalry.
The contarii are more experiment equites with better armor and carry a kontos lance(The catafracts also carry them)
I think the clibanarii could wear more armor than the catafract and also can carry a teardrop shield or a buckler and similar lance to the vlandian knights
oDLiAJL.jpg

290fc2b8bb88ddd322f5cb64f3fd49d2.jpg

And we continue with more Empire!
A newTercosketch envisioning the 3 units of the Legion of the Betrayed and its leader Patrys.

The Last Legion was created after the Emperor Arenicos enacted his reforms, abolishing the last of the Empire's standing armies in favor of archon's private retinues that were significantly cheaper and better at controlling territory. The Legion is made up of men who detested this change: they loved the old army, its standards and its unit histories and its camp life, and they blame the new system for destroying the empire. But an army does not hold together unless it is paid regulary, and they take contracts from imperial and foreign lords alike.

Nice work, my man ! I especially like that you took of those noble helmets off of fianns and gave em to cavalry ! Also rangers without additional armor perk look awesome, woodland bandit type.

As for the Legion of the betrayed, i like them too, i just don't know if they actually exsist in the game, along with Embers of the Flame and Hidden Hand . . . What happened to The Watchers, Eleftheroi, and unnamed Varangian Empire minor faction, it still boggles my mind.  :???:

Well, seems we will double our work and create 6 minor factions for Empire, just in case  :fruity:

Piconi said:
Nice work, my man ! I especially like that you took of those noble helmets off of fianns and gave em to cavalry ! Also rangers without additional armor perk look awesome, woodland bandit type.

As for the Legion of the betrayed, i like them too, i just don't know if they actually exsist in the game, along with Embers of the Flame and Hidden Hand . . . What happened to The Watchers, Eleftheroi, and unnamed Varangian Empire minor faction, it still boggles my mind.  :???:
Thanks my boi!
We know nothing about the minor factions; our work here is floating castle architecture in the sky. :lol:

As i too am a great romanophile+byzantophile, i couldn`t but try to tweak the looks of the leader of the Northern Empire, Senator Lucon, make it more aristocratic, a bit more sophisticated than i previously have.

Back
Top Bottom