Beta Patch Notes e1.4.1

Users who are viewing this thread

It's a mess.

To the developers.
In the future it might be better to change the patch release cycle to Mondays instead of Fridays. This would give you a window to actually hotfix big issues before prime gaming window of Friday-Sunday.

To the developers.
In the future it might be better to change the patch release cycle to Mondays instead of Fridays. This would give you a window to actually hotfix big issues before prime gaming window of Friday-Sunday.

Well it is a beta branch, primarily for testing, they have at least a full week to fix the issues before it goes live. For usual gaming there is the main branch.
They probably throw it at Friday, so they can already have a feedback when they come back at Monday, and can plan their work accordingly. Thus skipping the work disruption of switching to doing another thing, then switching back once feedback comes.

-Can't do the hideout quest given by the villager. Game crashes when I get to the hideout. Can raid it normally when the quest is not active though.
-If I ever get defeated while randomly raiding a hideout the game crashes if I ever try to raid said hideout ever again. Also, the "being raided" icon keeps showing indefinitely over the hideout where I got defeated.
-Can't play tabut at my castle anymore. Neither my character or the npc can get to the chair.

Excessive use of system resources has occurred after patch 1.41. Many parts of Turkish translations still appear in English. It would have been much better if you had not released this patch.

Yeah - I was as excited as anyone else about 1.4.1, on paper it looked fantastic. In practice? Don't update to 1.4.1, play main branch. If you have, rewind to a 1.4.0-compatible save and continue from there, on the main branch, if you value your playthrough's integrity. Unfortunately, with every passing week the beta becomes ever-more alpha-like: game-breaking in foundational ways (I'd comfortably say 1.4.1 is more of a mess than 1.1 or even 1.0 - the never-ending wars rob the whole simulation of any semblance of realism).

Quick feedback of the critical issues facing 1.4.1, in order of priority:
  1. Factions can vote for war, but never vote for peace: seasons or years into a war, the support for continuing war remains unanimous. In turn, no one defends properly, the economy along every war-torn border plummets, food stocks deplete and snowballing occurs faster than ever. Gamebreaking.

2. Ruler greed: a lot of fresh playthroughs show something gone awry with ruler greed. They seem to take an overwhelming proportion of new conquests for themselves, unlike 1.4.0 where they were generally more even-handed.

3. Sandbox kingdom creation: one of the highlights of 1.4.1 does not work at all. Old save or new save from 1.4.1: people are reporting CTD's upon naming their kingdom. No one, to my knowledge, has reported successfully creating a kingdom with this feature.

4. Auto-calc changes: I'm still unclear on the changes under the hood (my understanding is that gear, including mount armour, are now factored into calculations for a 'truer' reflection of live battle performance). In practice however, some of the same issues as before still occur: Khuzait dominance is still prevalent (I have not had a single play-through in ~300 hours where Khuzait were ever on the backfoot). Northern Empire and Sturgia still end up weakening over time. Note: this may still simply be just a matter of geography, further compounded by 1.4.1's perma-war. Those with too many open borders relative to their economically-productive surface area (the central factions) lose out; the ones with their backs to safe borders (Vlandia, Khuzait) win.
As a side-remark on 4: I think balancing the factions so they all run at rough parity, absent any diplomacy features, is a laudable goal. However, the real antidote to snowballing is some sort of basic coalition mechanic, à la EU4. Whenever one faction becomes dominant (perhaps as simple as numerically > 25% of sum of all faction strengths globally), all neighbouring factions are significantly likelier to make peace with each other and band together in a war-dec on the snowballer. I don't honestly think any faction can snowball if it's fighting wars on too many fronts. Some sort of diplomatic alliance mechanic would give Bannerlord playthroughs a chance to truly last decades, explore the lineage aspects, etc.

Last edited:
PLEASE stop with the beta branch nonsense. People play the beta as the main branch and then complain that stuff isn't working. Also the mod-devs are confused what to update their mod for and split their attention. It was a nice gesture, really appreciated! But I don't think it's working out. People can't handle it. They don't (and won't) understand that beta is for testing and curious-minded only.

PLEASE stop with the beta branch nonsense. People play the beta as the main branch and then complain that stuff isn't working. Also the mod-devs are confused what to update their mod for and split their attention. It was a nice gesture, really appreciated! But I don't think it's working out. People can't handle it. They don't (and won't) understand that beta is for testing and curious-minded only.

Beta branch is necessary so all this stuff won't happen in main branch and be even worse.
Why should we cater to those who don't know what beta branch is for, and limit the playtesting?
Your post is much more harmful than the complaining people you speak about.

What you say makes no sense at all. You would prefer that people didn't complain about issues on beta?
That's the ****ing point of beta branch. And if everyone did things with your logic nothing would ever get fixed.

That would be good for us but worse for them.
The current system allows taleworld community managers to hoard the data about issues we report during the weekend, then start implementing fixes right away at the monday morning.
If it they started doing releases on mondays, we still would have the same issues but would probably get the fixes comparatively slower, and may even need more hotfix releases during the week, as they had to get the reports while doing the developement.
The way they are doing it currently is efficient enough when looked at the business standpoint.

Last edited:
One thing that people are complaining about is that: some factions are so weak and others just keep crashing every other faction throughout every gameplay.

My POV is that: certain kingdoms now have their geometrical advantages (no snow or forest for high movement speed, or forever facing only one side enemy). These advantages are the things which have already been showing and mattering in the game.

My guess/wish is that: TW will later add more unique features (like unique policies or entire customized kingdom mechanism) to every kingdom so that each kingdom will have an identity gameplay experience to our players rather than what we have currently: (background music + unique troop tree).

Well its now or never for me. 400 hours since release, never got over age 34. Thats how many times ive restarted. Last week on vacation. 1.4.1 was the thing I've been waited for. Was so hyped. I understnad its beta and they are working hard, its my own fault. So maybe hotfix coming up? I dunno, they have internal testing and alpha branch, i mean they must know.

I'm starting to think they rely on us for testing in the beta branch and not much testing in-house.
"Early access" already implicitly tell us that. Just that many are still immature to handle the true meaning of early access. They thought they have the advantage of playing the game early, which in fact is a way for devs to collect feedback and catch blind-spots, so to have a proper release.

I'm starting to think they rely on us for testing in the beta branch and not much testing in-house. Too many of these issues would be caught in any playthrough.

It is easy to say, but you actually don't know anything about their internal tests, and you can't know how many bugs they actually found and subsequently fixed during these tests. You can say "this version has 10 new bugs, they didn't test it at all", but you don't know if before their test phase it had same 10 bugs, or 15 bugs or 50 bugs. And noone can ever find all the bugs with limited amount of testers and time. It is always about finding the worst ones. You may say the bugs that community found are so obvious that they couldn't miss them, but it could as well be that some last-minute fixes introduced those, such things unfortunately happen in software development.

It is easy to say, but you actually don't know anything about their internal tests, and you can't know how many bugs they actually found and subsequently fixed during these tests. You can say "this version has 10 new bugs, they didn't test it at all", but you don't know if before their test phase it had same 10 bugs, or 15 bugs or 50 bugs. And noone can ever find all the bugs with limited amount of testers and time. It is always about finding the worst ones. You may say the bugs that community found are so obvious that they couldn't miss them, but it could as well be that some last-minute fixes introduced those, such things unfortunately happen in software development.
This post should be pinned on the forum front page.

They rely on people testing the beta branch aswell, thats why its there. Nearly every good game has a beta branch to test changes nowadays.
I hope that this stays after release aswell, with more focus towards mp.

Not sure why they change this but i would like to see Policies go back to 50 Influence as the new 100 is why to high. Also i have started to see in year 4 as wars are going on to long that i dont get any money from battles now not even when i take a castle .. Just bring this up..

If this was a one time occurrence I would agree with you, but this has happened over and over from the initial release. I honestly don't even have a problem with that, it is part of the EA experience as far as I am concerned and more efficient to rely on player feedback than have them testing everything. But yeah I really doubt they have much of a testing pipeline at this point.

Hey i got an idea. its not perfect, but i think it'll be the step in the right direction.

What if at the city options. instead of having the standard "recruit troops" that leads to the recruitment screen. Can you guys have it branch to another page that asks, "Recruit from the locals" and "Recruit mercenaries". I feel like there's really no point in hiring mercenaries, they'er expensive up front, and are really limited. And i personally don't like the new button option to hire them at the "Tavern" page. It gets in the way of what i go there to do 10 out of 10 times...to sell my prisoners.

But hear me out on the "Recruit from the locals" and "Recruits mercenaries" options. Recruiting from the local notables requires reputations right, and better reputation leads to recruiting more men as well as potentially higher tier troops. The "Recruit mercenaries" option should also be a window screen that pops up like the normal recruitment window. But instead of the locals hosting the troops, it's just themselves or representatives of minor factions (just for example), selling their specific line of specialty troops. the mercenaries recruitment window would of course require no need for reputation points, because they are work for...money!

I don't really want to rely on mods to fill in the potential of the game, this idea of mine i think is solid gold for you guys to pick up. It's immersive and equally inviting for the player to, choose...local recruitment with need reputation building, or mercenary recruitment for cash. (yes i know that's the general idea of the game already, i'm just sharing how you guys could totally spice it up in the right way)

600 ingame days (actually more but I`m to lazy to open up the game again and double check)
Sturgya just as weak. Vlandia slightly weaker, no longer steamrolls the poor battanians.
Chuck Norris still plays for the Khuzaits pretending to be Hurunag. Northern Empire went ragnvad on everyone after day 100 for some odd reason.
We still have the same stupid let`s go to war, every time, all the time. Don`t really understand how that ''vote for war'' thing works but I don`t think it`s working like inteneded...
Taleworlds developers are so 19th century...

Have noticed a couple of bugs this evening. It is a new game on 1.4.1 no mods.
I bought 27 Desert Horses in the Aserai area to sell up North, when I arrived their was not one in my inventory.
Second bug I had 12 infantry 15 ranged and 11 Vlandian peasants. When you hover over the army on the map it tells me I have 13 Infantry, 14 Ranged and 11 Horse archers, I have none.

Ok my bad I had some soldiers on number 4 so I could use them on their own so they were classed as horse archers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom