Yet another thread about being able to command formation X to charge only to enemy formation Y

"Ordering your formation X to attack only to enemy formation Y" feature should be in VANILLA!

Votes: 49 84.5%

Votes: 4 6.9%

Votes: 3 5.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I know, I know. There are countless thread about this but I think it is worth to open another thread and fighting for until the game is out of EA. I certainly do not want to pay a DLC which makes this possible or install a mod for a thing as basic as this.

I did a poll at r/mountandblade subreddit about this. I must say participants in this poll is vey low. Only 91 voters. Poll goes like this:

On a scale one to five, how strongly you want this in the base game. Five is "this feature must be in the vanilla", while one is "there is no need, I can live without it, there is no problem of this staying as a mod". The same question goes for the poll here.

Here is the results:
kGg0g.png
573.6%
49.9%
36.6%
22.2%
17.7%

I do not know what more to add about this which was not said in other countless threads. The gameplay power of Mount and Blade franchise comes from the player being in the field with his/her soldiers while at the same time ordering them but for a long awaited sequel, not being able to tell my man to charge only to, for example, enemy archers is huge let down and I think this is the case for a lot of people.

I know this request forwarded to the decision makers in TW by community manager Dejan and yet here we are, this feature is not included in future plans or Statement regarding Singleplayer IV.

I am wholeheartedly, solemnly, genuinely asking TW to implement this feature into the game. @Callum @Dejan @Duh_TaleWorlds

How can the AI unhuddle and raise its game to combat such a smart command or know when and where to use it against us?
It is rare to see AI using this while playing with RTS mod. But I did see it. Enemy cav attacked my archers when I dragged them to a position where they were far away from my army. Of course, this was my mistake but seeing enemy punishing my mistake was exciting.

Also while playin with RTS, maybe AI using this often for ai infantry vs player infantry without the player noticing it.

+?
Yeah it would be a massive improvement and make battles more fun and interesting and less annoying. It's just absurd that as the commander you cannot shout at the troops "Hey attack THESE guys!" We can order them to move all over, face directions, get off horses, run away etc. but we can't just say ATTACK THIS?
And of course the AI's own priorities lets them ignore archers shooting them for the entire battle while mindlessly shooting at a distant, harmless SW.

How can the AI unhuddle and raise its game to combat such a smart command or know when and where to use it against us? Without smart commands we're on an even footing, locked in a formationless melee scrum. :smile:
It is rare to see AI using this while playing with RTS mod. But I did see it. Enemy cav attacked my archers when I dragged them to a position where they were far away from my army. Of course, this was my mistake but seeing enemy punishing my mistake was exciting.

Also while playin with RTS, maybe AI using this often for ai infantry vs player infantry without the player noticing it.
I might have misunderstood, but I thought the AI already has something like this and the RTS mod just enables it for the player. I think the AI is just very poor at using it and chooses to position or advance most often. I do notice if you attack enemy Cav at their defensive position they stick to what you attacked them with and don't have a few guys charging off across the map. On the other hand the player absolutely has this problem of some tricksters always ignoring the immediate threat and charging across the map.

This really should be a basic feature even for the AI and a command option for the player, everyone should priorize fighting in formations against other formations for the overall goal of the battle instead of the moshpit of doom we have now..

Well... what can I say ?.

If the devs (decision makers specifically) dedicated a minimum of play/analysis and considered valid the prevailing needs of ALL the spectrum of subsets of players; now we would have implemented Focus fire (ranged) + Engage enemy formation (a variant focus fire but for melee on foot or cavalry) + being able to choose by command main/secondary weapon for the unit/formation.

And I've mentioned it a few times... All these orders would be carried out with the default cameras currently implemented for both first and third person. Moreover, even the most novice player could combine them with the newly implemented slowmo/bullet time option.

But a higher view could be implemented through a final unlockable skill of tactics or leadership. That would be the icing on the cake and bring back the commander's view that Viking Conquest offered.

giphy.gif

But unfortunately we have what we have....

Well... what can I say ?.

If the devs (decision makers specifically) dedicated a minimum of play/analysis and considered valid the prevailing needs of ALL the spectrum of subsets of players; now we would have implemented Focus fire (ranged) + Engage enemy formation (a variant focus fire but for melee on foot or cavalry) + being able to choose by command main/secondary weapon for the unit/formation.

And I've mentioned it a few times... All these orders would be carried out with the default cameras currently implemented for both first and third person. Moreover, even the most novice player could combine them with the newly implemented slowmo/bullet time option.

But a higher view could be implemented through a final unlockable skill of tactics or leadership. That would be the icing on the cake and bring back the commander's view that Viking Conquest offered.

giphy.gif

But unfortunately we have what we have....
Viking Conquest was miles better than anything we have in Bannerlord. The only thing missing is faster passage of time/children that grow up. All else is vastly superior. I dont know how this occured as it did

Viking Conquest was miles better than anything we have in Bannerlord. The only thing missing is faster passage of time/children that grow up. All else is vastly superior. I dont know how this occured as it did
Cohesion of formations, fallbacks that worked as they should, weapon switch command, follow-me in relative position, birds-eye view, focus on unit (skirmish-ranged-melee)...etc... ?

9y5Cu.jpg

Windmills... it is futile... it is too late.

Im about to uninstall the game because of the lack of this feature. Its so frustrating that TW does not even care about that

Good news? Mods!
I mean look at this. The author of most consistently supported mod is asking these questions because he did not find a way to do these. My fear is that if something like these hardcoded and unreachable by modders then what are we gonna do? I am in dire need of some expert to shade light on this.

Another thing is influence. I hope it is not hardcoded or something. If some modder want to make gameplay overhaul in the future and decides removing influence out of the game, will he be able to do that?

I mean look at this. The author of most consistently supported mod is asking these questions because he did not find a way to do these. My fear is that if something like these hardcoded and unreachable by modders then what are we gonna do? I am in dire need of some expert to shade light on this.
I'm no expert, but this mod already gave us the ability to target a specific enemy formation, so it's definitely doable! :smile:

I'm no expert, but this mod already gave us the ability to target a specific enemy formation, so it's definitely doable! :smile:
Yep, for cavalary charge RTS does offer that. But if you look at "focus fire" and "ai switch weapon command", RTS does not offer player to be able to do these. Maybe there is a way to do these and Philozoraptor did not see it. But as I said when the author of most consistently supported mod throughout EA, did not find a way to do these and come to forums for seeking help, it looks worrying to me.

I mean Diplomacy Litdum for Warband had the option of ordering your troops to which weapon to use but we do not have this in Bannerlord even as a mod yet. Maybe it is not worrying since I do not understand any of the game code but the modders seeking help to be able to these is worrying just as a player and a mod user.

Yep, for cavalary charge RTS does offer that. But if you look at "focus fire" and "ai switch weapon command", RTS does not offer player to be able to do these.
I see, I was under the assumption that you weren't aware of the targeting feature being implemented in the RTS mod. It's completely unfathomable that they won't add atleast this feature to bannerlord. Focusing fire and making your troops switch their weapons on command would truly be the cherry on top and make battles even more intricate and fun. No one plays bannerlord for its shallow diplomacy system so it would be natural that the number one selling point would be the most fleshed out area of the game but here we are. I do hope modders find a way to add these systems, they are our only hope

Back
Top Bottom