Revert back to the Warband System for Formations/Unit Assignments

Users who are viewing this thread

@Dejan ,

I think the majority of the community would like to see the old warband system of formations come back and here is why:

1. It is still impossible to fully separate out troops with spears vs those primarily with sword. For example, the empire troops use a combination of both and separating the troops into multiple squads cannot be accurately done.
2. There is no function to separate recruits who we need to level up vs the veteran troops who we want to hold the line against Cav
3. Bodyguard unit: This was one of the coolest features in warband where you can have a group of units follow you and protect you in battle

There are other reasons which I have not yet labeled but the way to implement this would be in the party screen just like in warband where you can assign specific formations to each troop "identity" that is in the party. And if you enter a battle where you have an unassigned unit you should be able to manually assign them a spot in the OOB deployment screen.

Yes, the new system was a backward step. Worth the effort to make something better but sometimes it doesn't work. The previous system was simple and very flexible, it should be brought back.

I disagree. The new system is better.

Also, you can't really know if the majority agrees, since you have not asked the greater community. This forum mostly consists of a small niche of people who see the game in their little way.

We would need a poll from all Bannerlord players to truly establish what the majority wants.

The new system is better and more flexible, but it wouldn't hurt with some improvements to give the player even more control.

Like say, the player being able to set a tag on specific units in the party screen, and then in the formation manager have a filter to give preference to tagged troops, working the same as the existing filters for heavy armor etc.

yeah as said above i like the newer system but could do with some tweaks like more control over filters for formations (i want an easier way to make a block of just twohander inf)

yeah as said above i like the newer system but could do with some tweaks like more control over filters for formations (i want an easier way to make a block of just twohander inf)
Yes! I miss my flanking force of line breakers.

The new system is better and more flexible, but it wouldn't hurt with some improvements to give the player even more control.

Like say, the player being able to set a tag on specific units in the party screen, and then in the formation manager have a filter to give preference to tagged troops, working the same as the existing filters for heavy armor etc.
That is an absolute excellent suggestion. @Dejan how hard would it be to implement this?
It is a very simple tweak that would work very well.

Being able to (consistently) separate crossbowmen from archers would be huge, since the former typically have a fraction of the latter's ammo but double well as melee troops once promoted to the tiers that use shields.

Presently, organizing ranged companies with "shields" as a qualifier only works to separate the tier 4/5 crossbowmen and not the lower tiered ones, such as Vlandian Levy Crossbowmen, who are functionally closer to normal low-tier archers but don't mix well with actual arches with twice the ammo.

The OOB could have been designed better. Where is the Battle Line ? 3 - 6 groups forming the main battle line ? Elites on the right flank etc Where is the Kings body guard group ?

The player should be able to simply select what sort of Battle Set he wants -
(1) Greek Hoplite - 4 to 8 groups of HI in a long battle line, 2 groups of light skirmishers in front, etc
(2) Macedonian Phalanx - 2 to 4 units of Pikes in the centre, flanked by spearmen, cav on the extreme flanks. etc
(3) Roman Legions - 3 battle lines of HI starting with light ,progressing heavier to last line. Interchange possible. etc

This would be far more realistic, and simpler for the player. ( Ok ,the AI would poo it's pants .. given)

+1

I think the best option would be a combination of both systems, where you can decide the number of troops and also the type, for example you could pick 50 troopss with shields for your main infantry line and take 5 out as a personal bodyguard, having 30 skirmishers, but taking 5 out to join the bodyguard, 50 archers and 5 for bodyguard and/or 10 to join skirmishers... I hope you get what I mean...

The easiest thing to solve would be that during the battle the banners are highligted when you click on them, right now in the middle of the battle it is confusing to give orders to your troops, for example when you have two infantry units with same number of soldiers fighting

Can someone please make a simple mod that expands the choices for formation filter. For example: Two-handed, Crossbows, , Two handed Polearm, Blunt Weapons.

I'm genuinely dumbfounded how anyone not on console (because they don't know better, anyway) could see the new system as superior to the old assignment.

That already defaulted to specific troop formation, so if you didn't want to micro you didn't have to as long as you kept default formation numbering.

The new system is attrocious in taking away player control over their forces for what little of tactics was already present in Bareboneslord.

Seriously, how exactly is this mess better?

I'm genuinely dumbfounded how anyone not on console (because they don't know better, anyway) could see the new system as superior to the old assignment.

That already defaulted to specific troop formation, so if you didn't want to micro you didn't have to as long as you kept default formation numbering.

The new system is attrocious in taking away player control over their forces for what little of tactics was already present in Bareboneslord.

Seriously, how exactly is this mess better?
The moment the new 'OOB' system was in place, we knew how they approached/implemented it was atrocious. No changes have been made except adding those 'heavy/light' categories (which don't always work), nor does it make sense to work alongside how groups are split by ratio'd sliders also.
If I'm trying to create a separate group of pikemen, one of linebreakers, and one of shielded infantry, near impossible; that's just the infantry.

I completely agree: the old system gave more opportunities, the new system is for casual noobs who don’t know which units they have with heavy armor and which with light... Well, at least the developers added the ability to distribute companions into squads...

Back
Top Bottom